forum

here's the plan gyze

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ymir
We're in what some would say a Tournament Era, or maybe a Tournament trap.

Believe me, I'm not here to complain about "muh state of OT" and subjective topics like quality, without a proper proposal.

It's clear that a good thread nowadays is just boiled down to one of two things, Roleplay and Tournaments (more-so the latter). Getting stale, no?

Let's not forget the reputation that looms OT from above and below, a shittole innit (that's a dementedduck reference cause he's british rahhh).
Another thing to mention, Blushing recently discussed smearing our bullshit onto a frontpage osu! newsletter. Big yikes for normal people, huge win for us 2-headed creatures!

Now I'm selfish so I want to do something else.
I'd like if this forum were to mobilise and work on a project, a project of larger scale than Rigby's Christmas Tree, but less technical than the OT! Mapping project (also made by Rigby, I fucking love this guy). Haven't got any ideas yet but I'm tryna squeeze a fat shit out me arse hole so in the meantime I wrote this. Let me know what you think.
Stomiks
How about we become like the christian missionaries and spread the word of OT all over the forum
Arctos Sagittario
are you saying you're planning to build a christmas tree now?
Patatitta
I dont think ot reputation is as bad as a lot of people in here make it out to be?, most people dont even know us, it's not like half the community hates us, just that the one that know us prefers to not really be involved

idk, if people mainly do tournaments and rp, that probably means people want to host and take part in roleplays and rp, when people get tired of that, we will naturally move to other stuff, like it has always been, dont think it getting stale is too much of a worry, when it truly gets to that point we will just move on

still, if you want to host something big, sure, have no ideas for it but gl
NotRaffi
idk, dm a lot of high digits to review it or something, that'll probably get ot some attention, just make sure you're respectful in asking em
Nuuskamuikkunen

Arctos Sagittario wrote:

are you saying you're planning to build a christmas tree now?
We did so last december.
Kobold84

Stomiks wrote:

How about we become like the christian missionaries and spread the word of OT all over the forum
I like this idea, the church of OT has some potential to it. Now, we only have to find a god to worship and it's a done deal. Any volunteers?
NotRaffi

Kobold84 wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

I like this idea, the church of OT has some potential to it. Now, we only have to find a god to worship and it's a done deal. Any volunteers?
I'll be one
Stomiks

NotRaffi wrote:

Kobold84 wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

I'll be one
Let's make it polytheistic and include me as a god too
NotRaffi

Stomiks wrote:

NotRaffi wrote:

Kobold84 wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

I'll be one
Let's make it polytheistic and include me as a god too
or just, do abraker
NotRaffi
wait, can't abraker just post something on the dashboard already? he's a mod and all, it probably needs a lot of confirmations from all the other mods and other complex stuff because i think the requirements is for the post to have an impact to the larger osu community (mapping, skinning, songs, something that would revolutionize osu somehow), and not just "hangout place that's pretty complicated to get into because of the lore"

start brainstorming for ideas i guess, check the osu wiki, ask other players, find influencers, do unique events
Patatitta
if you guys want to increase forums popularity, doing stuff inside the forums does not matter since people who are not in ot and dont know ot is because they have never clicked the forums tab once in their life
z0z
you could advertise but that could get annoying quickly
Rigbyuis
i got fucking blushed while reading this

do a pretty big RPG thingy that is a mix with a terminal text adventure, would b fun imo
Polyspora
do you wanna help with your shit? I can pull it
ColdTooth

cephaphysic

Rigbyuis wrote:

i got fucking blushed while reading this

do a pretty big RPG thingy that is a mix with a terminal text adventure, would b fun imo
i dunno how familiar you are with the whole course of the terminal text adventure thread, but that thread only survived because of like three people who managed to get it to its conclusion. in fact, i'm pretty sure it actually died before someone came back and revived it to finish it

as much as people want there to be massive HiGh-EFfOrT threads, if it takes too much effort to participate in, it will most likely die. i've found successful threads tend to come from one - or a combination of - three things:

1. simple to participate in (in terms of puzzles and stuff, the solutions can't be too obscure/no complex character creation if neither of the below two apply to the thread idea/only needing to type "/in" to participate like in those tournament threads/etc.)

2. community/collaboration (ot!book, padoru invasion, the christmas tree drawing)

3. rewards (polyspora's mapping competition, pretty much any competition in general really)

so unless you manage to tick any of those boxes - or your plot intrigues people enough to keep going despite it - your rpg has a pretty high chance of dying out at some point

i've actually been spending my time not posting threads by devising a system that could tick that first box so i'm able to tell a coherent narrative, though the only thread i actually want to do that for is coming in... about 7/8 months and that's if i can actually will myself to do anything :7
Rigbyuis

octowave wrote:

3. rewards (polyspora's mapping competition, pretty much any competition in general really)

so unless you manage to tick any of those boxes - or your plot intrigues people enough to keep going despite it - your rpg has a pretty high chance of dying out at some point

i've actually been spending my time not posting threads by devising a system that could tick that first box so i'm able to tell a coherent narrative, though the only thread i actually want to do that for is coming in... about 7/8 months and that's if i can actually will myself to do anything :7
i agree with your whole argument, but the rewards point should not be money, since lots of people will get to participate on the thread only for it, which depending on how the event develops, can ruin the experience for the other people. there is a big example not in here but in FG which even if it's fun it's starting to become in thread necromancy v2
ShinRun
I’m not posting stuff lately to recharge my OT meter
cephaphysic

Rigbyuis wrote:

octowave wrote:

i agree with your whole argument, but the rewards point should not be money, since lots of people will get to participate on the thread only for it, which depending on how the event develops, can ruin the experience for the other people. there is a big example not in here but in FG which even if it's fun it's starting to become in thread necromancy v2
tbf i probably could've clarified better, but what i meant by rewards is basically any kind of "you get a thing from this", so it also applies to things like collabs *gesturing towards my ot!collab threads* or drawing request threads, etc yk. competitions were just the best example of threads that specifically fall under that and that only

my point is that managing to tick one of the boxes should be enough to keep user input coming in, at least going off of my observations, so you can 100% disregard the rewards part of it (trust me, i agree with you that it can easily ruin the experience, extrinsic motivation is a finicky thing)
show more