forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Achromalia
certainly not frosty, but it's maybe a tepid take in this forum's contexts (though i recognize this is also just a very easily instinctive figure of speech for opinions you know are disagreeable/contentious but believe you have to establish) where people probably agree but don't readily harass the users of "silly" about it beside a few people, while at the same time probably not harassing each other for saying so. it's complicated and weird, but that's sociological phenomena in general

as for the take itself idk, at face-value that's fine to think, and i have my own issues with it too. at the same time i enjoy its playfulness and use it myself, because beside the social bonding of being with people that share the same language, there's also the premise that there is a particular kind of self-serving humor in it that becomes my own reward to savor for playing with language that feels a certain way. certainly won't feel that way to many other people, which is why we have arguments in ot over whether its a big deal at all that someone is sarcastic/ironic or whether they're sincere-- kind of a terribly flat and imprecise example, but it's an attempt at approximating other examples that i'm not really readily able to materialize in mind, and i think some intuitive points can be given for that if they had more clarity

idk how you particularly view choice of diction as humor, but i'm sure people here have some kind of relationship with it given the ease of use afforded to the strangest pseudo-insults in threads and the most disaffected slurs in discord channels-- they exist because they're funny to someone, somehow, as absolutely perplexing as it is

that's actually kind of missing your point though, i'm sort of abstracting this to a general thought i've had about use of language as a vehicle for culture for a long time. what i mean by bringing that up is... i suppose, that this might be an example of a conflict of cultures that annoy you? no, actually i'm pretty sure the rationale could actually just be more direct than that and be merely an "i just don't like it" or "i think this makes someone sound fake and saccharine" or idk whatever it would be

...i'm not so sure after all. i just thought seeing this opinion be shared was an interesting event to think about, and i think i'm hoping for something like an elaboration of what that actually means, why that would be annoying, under the assumption there's more depth and precedence to things like this

to briefly bring in my problem with "silly", is when it's all there is, when it feels arbitrarily meaningless and stale and loses its ability to add the texture it was there for. but for someone else who uses it, it would be entirely effective for creating the cultural atmosphere they wanted. i don't mind that specifically because the content itself isn't at anyone's expense, it's a sincere playful and whimsical appeal... or at least it was, until people used the ever-consuming omnipresent reach of irony to mock it, so it's also pretty easy now to view "silly" in the contexts of how people signify something pitiable or infantile or dumb, something to use as a demeaning caricature of someone else's response and enjoyment of something
sametdze
bro
Achromalia
yeah
sametdze
the reason to why i dont like it when people say "oh they're so silly!!" is because it just gives off the idea of a person who is super hyperactive and anything that is even slightly appealing to them is automatically considered "silly". while i get that the word silly is used simply to show joy, there's just something about the people who use it that make me want to blow my brains out. it also doesn't help that i've seen the word "silly" be put in relation to literal real-life murderers.

but im gonna be honest, its hard to explain my hatred towards the phrase "they're so silly!", it just annoys me in a way that ticks me off. i really dont know how to explain it. i've tried to justify it in the paragraph from earlier, but deep down i don't feel like those are the actual reason as to why i don't like it.
Achromalia
mm, that makes some sense

or, well it's more like i sympathize i guess. especially in the juxtaposition of something that would've seemed whimsical to something Very Definitively Violating, there really isn't a way to quantify how infuriating that can be to read as a minimization and demonstration of how easily a real-life tragedy/horror can become a form of disaffected entertainment-- and although it could entirely be likely at least some of its use is ironic and entirely "just a joke" to... do something, i don't know what, it still is generally something disturbing to find, especially in imagining the position of victims' families

it's fine, actually this is probably a fair enough elaboration, nothing more needs saying unless you do happen to want to share. hearing this kind of makes me regret thinking of it as a curiosity or "just a tepid take". sure, it's possible i couldn't have realistically known, but... yeah

i mean if the rationale isn't something you can totally justify it's probably still not something to critique you for, so long as like, nothing comes of it

just, don't harass people who like it, basically. if you need to be literally anywhere else in that scenario then i understand now and will avoid questioning that. probably wasn't like you asked for anyone's opinion of it anyway in some kind of anticipation (certainly not me taking it in earnest and drowning it in text like this), and you likely just needed to have it out there-- not to place reasons in your mouth and speak for you, i'm really only guessing at theories that held weight to my mind, and if i'm being too idealistic about rationalizing it that's ok too
B0ii
imma be inactive for some time here lol
BluePyTheWDeer_
INTERESANTE.
Achromalia
B0ii

B0ii wrote:

okay nevermind im back
sametdze

Achromalia wrote:

Achromalia

sametdze wrote:

Achromalia wrote:

YEW MONKEYYYYH-- <3

tysm i will cherish this soundbite and relentlessly (not really) use this at myself every time i notice i'm not drawing the 4+ furries online in ot+fg+surveys twice
lostsilver
i remember looking for a song that went like "the moon comes up, and the sun goes down" and it took me a whole year to find it..... the song is round here - florida georgia line, by the way
been listening to it recently to bring back memories
BluePyTheWDeer_

B0ii wrote:

B0ii wrote:

okay nevermind im back
QUE PEREZA, ME LA CREÍ :(
Corne2Plum3

Achromalia wrote:

I actually tried to click this image
z0z
lostsilver
ya'll the ac is on and i'm freezing rn
i've tried putting on a hoodie and getting away from the ac but nothing's helping
aaaaaaaaghhdhjwdhd
silmarilen

lostsilver wrote:

i remember looking for a song that went like "the moon comes up, and the sun goes down" and it took me a whole year to find it..... the song is round here - florida georgia line, by the way
At least your song has lyrics. For like 15 years i had a song in my head that had no lyrics and it was impossible to find. Eventually i heard it on the radio and finally managed to find it by going through their play history (it was peer gynt - morning mood).
lostsilver

silmarilen wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

At least your song has lyrics. For like 15 years i had a song in my head that had no lyrics and it was impossible to find. Eventually i heard it on the radio and finally managed to find it by going through their play history (it was peer gynt - morning mood).
i see
glad you found yours! <3
BluePyTheWDeer_
I love GD cologne
her everything
sametdze
the only songs i like are the songs that make me feel like a girly princess /s
Kobold84
Corne is a reddiet user… no…
Patatitta

sametdze wrote:

the only songs i like are the songs that make me feel like a girly princess /srs
z0z

Kobold84 wrote:

you haven't been following much if you've only found out now
sametdze

Kobold84 wrote:

i am also a "reddiet" user
sametdze
surely 13 minutes is the fastest time for a thread to get locked right
Blushing

sametdze wrote:

might just be. it helps when you are looking at the forum
sametdze

Blushing wrote:

sametdze wrote:

wdym by "it helps when you are looking at the forum"
Achromalia

sametdze wrote:

Blushing wrote:

sametdze wrote:

it's easier for threads to be locked when a gmt is readily available to lock a thread (because the gmt is looking at the forum)
Blushing

sametdze wrote:

Blushing wrote:

sametdze wrote:

i saw the thread happen as it happened.
sametdze

sametdze wrote:

FUCK I WAS SO CLOSE TO GETTING THE W, IT WAS JUST 2 KIDS AND MYSELF, ONE OF THE OTHER KIDS WAS RIGHT BEHIND ME AND HE WAS SO FUCKING LOW AND MY STUPID SHOT GUN DIDNT FUCKING SHOOT AND I CAME 3RD FUCKING PLACE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
still think about this btw
sametdze
i am famous
her everything
z0z
Cerno
thoughts on this, frenchies

Karmine

Cerno wrote:

thoughts on this, frenchies

Murder.