[IMPORTANT] Denizen bad, click on thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Scyla

Meah wrote:

Scyla wrote:

Meah wrote:

When you just checked off topic after a very long time and the issue is still about the denizenshit thing
just people's obsession with trying to stand out from the rest and wanting to be remembered
That's so sad
kinda cause people start throwing tantrums when things don't go their way
Endaris
Is there a tl;dr?

I thought denizenship was something decidedly retroactively on baraker's whim.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Endaris wrote:

Is there a tl;dr?

read the first sentence
UPR

Endaris wrote:

Is there a tl;dr?

tldr, The denizen system is kind of broken and a bit too subjective with the generation stuff, so let's have OT!Eras instead with actual guidelines for denizenship

or in Lamens term, let's have a system to try and make people rememberable instead of it being a funny goof
Karmine
TL;DR denizen bad, this good

Bottom Text

Patatitta wrote:

-In order to become a member of an era, you must have at least 5 pages of posts/threads, spread over 4 months of activity on OT, so, a user that has constantly posted for at least 4 months of a year, would be part of an era. The post count does not take into consideration Forum games or Mafia, only main offtopic posts counts
5 pages (250 posts!) seemed like a lot at first but even though I'm not as active as I used to and was completely offline for 2 weeks I have 5 pages over the last 2 months, there doesn't seem to be any 4 months stretch where I didn't reach it
It roughly equates to making 2 posts/day which seems like a lot when there's nothing interesting happening but any interesting thread can easily get you to post 5+ times over a few days

Patatitta wrote:

If anyone wants to make a better government/else, basing itself on eras, or just their standalone system, I actually encourage making that
I can easily see something replacing denizenship with highlighting the most important people of an era, kind of like a Hall of Fame
How to implement it could be decided by looking at what worked and what didn't with previous threads with similar ideas (denizens lol)
The main issue with any thread based on this system will be if you (or threads OP) become inactive and no one keeps it up to date, just like what's happening with basically everything abraker did, but at least it would have existed for a time

Patatitta wrote:

no one has actually read the ot!chronicles, a thread that is very incomplete and no one has pointed it out in the past year
I have :(
It's actually really interesting to see how the place evolved over time, and it makes people who say it was better before sound silly (some post and even entire threads from back then are abhorrent and would probably get you silenced/banned today)
It's sad that no one keeps it up to date though but the more time passes the more work it would require to fix it
Still it's worth reading it, especially if you're out of ideas for a thread, there are good things highlighted there
Endaris

Patatitta wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Is there a tl;dr?

read the first sentence
I read like half the post and then I was like "...is there going to be a point?"
But whatever I read, it wasn't what was in the tl;dr
Topic Starter
Patatitta
I dont know if I clarified it correctly, you dont need to do the 5 pages on the 4 month timespan, if you only post 3 pages on the first 4 months, but then you stay in OT more time and post another 2 pages, even if it took you longer, that would count and you would be included into eras

about maintaining the thread, I think I will keep playing osu and browsing OT for at least a couple more years, I dont see myself quitting soon, so yeah, I think I might be able to maintain it for at least a couple years
[ Sebastian ]
I've only read a little bit of it and it sounds good. I'll read more of it later and give my full opinion.
Karmine

Patatitta wrote:

I dont know if I clarified it correctly, you dont need to do the 5 pages on the 4 month timespan, if you only post 3 pages on the first 4 months, but then you stay in OT more time and post another 2 pages, even if it took you longer, that would count and you would be included into eras

about maintaining the thread, I think I will keep playing osu and browsing OT for at least a couple more years, I dont see myself quitting soon, so yeah, I think I might be able to maintain it for at least a couple years
Yeah I wasn't sure about that but anyway 5 pages seems reasonable to me

You probably wouldn't make this thread if you planned on quitting soon :D but you won't stay here forever
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

You probably wouldn't make this thread if you planned on quitting soon :D but you won't stay here forever
wont stay forever, but I think it will be enough time for when I quit, someone else will start maintaining it
Karmine

Patatitta wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

wont stay forever, but I think it will be enough time for when I quit, someone else will start maintaining it
Hope it's true, but high effort threads have a history of not lasting long or dying when their creator stops
Nuuskamuikkunen
Well, cool idea actually, I dislike the current system as well but I have no idea how to get rid of it lmao.

ALSO HIIIII MEEEEEAAAAAAH CHAAAAAAAAN.
Rezq Gokou
Thanks for reminding me denizenship exist
heipizhu
OK, time to farm 2 more pages of post lol.
Jangsoodlor
too long; don't read.
Kaaruumii

Jangsoodlor wrote:

too long; don't read.
basically its denizenship but you qualify when you meet the requirements of at least 5 pages of posts on off topic and has been active for 4 months or more, each era ends every year the thread gets edited to include all users that qualify, however the year you start is the era you will be placed in

this thread feels unnecessarily long for the simple but more straightforward fix
Cerno
im just here to greet Meah
Manishh
I think 4months are way too low, should be 6 months
Ymir
Honestly I was skeptical at first, but now I support this.

Also, omg, Meah!
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Kaaruumii wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

too long; don't read.
basically its denizenship but you qualify when you meet the requirements of at least 5 pages of posts on off topic and has been active for 4 months or more, each era ends every year the thread gets edited to include all users that qualify, however the year you start is the era you will be placed in

this thread feels unnecessarily long for the simple but more straightforward fix
it's long because I have to explain why the currenty denizen system fails, in order to be able to justify mine
abraker
The worst part of me eventually fading into OT's history is that I have no hope that denizens would record threads like these into some chronicle equivalent compilation of OT's history. Effectively Eras after me would be come as ??? as the Valhalla era given enough time.
Kobold84

abraker wrote:

The worst part of me eventually fading into OT's history is that I have no hope that denizens would record threads like these into some chronicle equivalent compilation of OT's history. Effectively Eras after me would be come as ??? as the Valhalla era given enough time.
Was there someone working on archiving OT before you? Not like there can't be another recordkeeper in the future.
abraker

Kobold84 wrote:

abraker wrote:

Was there someone working on archiving OT before you? Not like there can't be another recordkeeper in the future.
Nope, I am the first archiver and spend many hours going through pages attempting to reconstructing the history. There still remains a good 50 pages or so between 2013 - 2010 I have yet to browse through.
ColdTooth
sorry i cant read
his everything
It's very important