forum

(Word Vomit) Concerns of The Future of OT

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Umbreon-
I'm not gonna lie, it's 4 A.M. and I probably should be asleep, but I wanna share a moment of vulnerability (if you want to call it that). I've been here for about a month and I wanted to say that I care a lot, probably too much about OT as a whole. Aside from gifting supporter to a bunch of people and never really creating good content, I have a lot of pride being a part of what I consider a tight knit community of people all around the world. There's a lot more to OT to me than just an internet forum on a decade old game.
Sidebar
I'm not gonna go into my past, but it was pretty rough. Didn't really have a community of people to talk to etc.
I don't have a lot of sway in things. I don't have a lot of experience, I don't know the lore, I don't have any understanding of hierarchy or the generation gap, and maybe I'm just overthinking this and overwhelmed. I think about OT all day, I care about everyone here, but most of all I care and am scared for the future of OT, if there is one.

I've noticed some talk about Abraker leaving, and how all the other GMTs want us deleted. To be honest I wanted to word vomit and get some information on this, cause I care, and I don't wanna sit back and see a community I joined recently just get wiped out from under me.

What can I do? How can I help?

Are we even in trouble or am I being baited?

feel free to make fun of me I don't fucking care. I only care about the future of OT. Maybe too much.
Ymir
It's not too serious, but it's the fact that this place is not as rule-abiding as the other forums. It's also not taken seriously, Abraker is the only GMT who understands the culture here, and Ephemeral is a developer so he has other things to do, so Abraker is the only one who manages it consistently. Other GMTs don't know a thing about OT, so they prefer to stay away.

TLDR: It's a nightmare to moderate this, it's only alive because of Abraker and Ephemeral.
Stomiks
Abraker isn't gonna leave OT right away. I remember he will after he gets his 5 year GMT badge which is like 2 or 3 years away? We pretty much have a ton of time for someone to eventually replace him when that happens. Heck, we've been considering that corne should replace abraker for a little while now if corne wants to.

Even if there are no GMTs to moderate OT, we will still probably (hopefully) be continuing on as we are doing right now, just that you'll probably expect more shitposts than usual.
Manishh
Its sad that Abraker will leave but remember that OT! was alive before abraker joined this nightmare and after abraker leaves, We will find a way to make everything work or maybe in future a GMT decided to join OT! or a denizen become gmt. At the end of the day, whatever will happen will happen, one day or another
Ymir
I reckon the event of an overlord being born to foresee us will be a huge event.

We could probably get Eph to work something out with the GMT's in the event that Corne does not become one (or we could contact the Global Moderation Team ourselves).

If we were to do it ourselves, we'd have to do so as if we were an alien race coming into contact with normal people.
We'd have to introduce our culture here, inform them about the relaxed rules in this community, as well as show them some of our creations. If we can't get a GMT to monitor us, at least we can inform them about what posts can get locked and what posts can't.
Manishh
Though, it will be a fun experience as well as new experience to have. I hope that I will be alive to see that day since I love organizing things even if its a game, discord server or RP.

You also is worrying for nothing since even if there are no GMT. OT! will still be alive and nothing much will happen except shitposter posting more often and shitty thread being alive for more time. And even if OT! goes down very bad, ephermal will find a way to fix it like making someone gmt intentionally or increasing the chance of corne being the next overlord
YyottaCat
Yeah yeah yeah newcomers always care too much lol. Just another annual OT is dead thread I guess.
Arctos Sagittario
it's highly unlikely that a subforum would go completely rogue, so there would definitely be someone watching over this place

either promoted denizen, or airdropped outsider

anyway ot would do fine, dont worry
DM FOR MUTUAL
I don't think it'll be a problem. If Abraker were to leave tomorrow, it's not like OT will be deleted. OT does serve a a function in the osu forums at large, being the trash heap where everything that doesn't fit into any other subforums ends up. Go to pretty much any other niche forum similar to osu and there'll be an Off-Topic subforum, or something equivalent. If they don't, it's likely that the forum is extremely focussed or mature.

Abraker doesn't just moderate OT, but a lot of the other subforums as well, though it's to a lesser extent. If Abraker were to go, it feels like a new GMT stepping up to moderate the forums is inevitable.

Not really sure the where the idea of GMTs wanting to delete OT comes from. A lot of GMTs probably want to stay away from OT, because not only is there a lot of content to moderate, but it'd probably be pretty intimidating to join this already established, incredibly isolated and strange community, and immediately have the responsibility to moderate it without much knowledge of what goes on here.

Also, I personally think that someone here eventually becoming a GMT to moderate this place is very possible. If we look at what is required for you to be considered as a GMT;

osu wiki wrote:

Becoming a moderator

Becoming a member of the Global Moderation Team requires a notable amount of contribution. Potential members are often noticed for their willingness to help other users, activity within the community, and good behaviour. The ability to speak languages other than English is strongly preferred. Candidates are discussed within the team to determine their potential addition as a team member.

How to be considered
The most important factors for consideration are behaviour, activity, understanding of the rules, and patience:

1. Demonstrate good behaviour by being polite and treating other users with respect. Keeping your account free of any serious silences or issues is essential.
  2. Demonstrate in-game activity by participating in the chat and/or the forums. Report any misbehaviour and problems via the report system. Answer questions and assist others with issues.
  3. Have a proper understanding of the rules and how they are applied. It is important to know what is acceptable within osu! and what is not.
  4. Be patient. The GMT does not spontaneously add members who have been helping for just a few days. It takes time for the GMT to evaluate someone⁠ — their personality, what they can help with, their activity, etc.
Generally, the team will observe people for several weeks or months to make sure they are a worthy addition to the team. Please be patient and do not go overboard. Feel free to ask anyone from the GMT about any questions regarding rules, reporting users, and any other issues.
(source)
Anyone who's been here for a while, become respected and not gotten into any major trouble probably look like pretty juicy candidates. It might honestly just be a question in who's willing to take the responsibility.

Also, if Abraker still has 2 or 3 years left in him, then that's an eternity away for OT standards. This would make this issue basically non-urgent. You might have left OT or stopped caring by then lol.

I think the worst thing that could happen would probably be that the quality of threads generally becomes lower because the new GMT isn't as involved as Abraker is, and we'll be the boomers talking about how OT was so much better back in ye olden days when Abraker was a GMT.
Manishh
Whoever become the next overlord, He will never be great as Abraker
Arctos Sagittario

yoony1 wrote:

... probably look like pretty juicy candidates.
← oven dried stingy jerky at your service
Patatitta
there has been multiple overlords, abraker is just one of them, he will go, and someone else wioll we join

other gmt doesn't want us gone, it's just an annoying place to moderate, hard to tell what's lock-worth it or not

about OT lore and stuff, personally I just dont really care at all, it's not really needed for you to have a good stay
loserotaku

-Remi wrote:

It's not too serious, but it's the fact that this place is not as rule-abiding as the other forums. It's also not taken seriously, Abraker is the only GMT who understands the culture here, and Ephemeral is a developer so he has other things to do, so Abraker is the only one who manages it consistently. Other GMTs don't know a thing about OT, so they prefer to stay away.

TLDR: It's a nightmare to moderate this, it's only alive because of Abraker and Ephemeral.
ill be the new abraker
Dementedduck
corne will get gmt and save the day 👍
Stomiks

Loserotaku wrote:

-Remi wrote:

ill be the new abraker
I will kill myself if you ever became GMT
Topic Starter
-Umbreon-

Dementedduck wrote:

corne will get gmt and save the day 👍
I would wholeheartedly be really happy if corne got GMT. I love that lil guy. (⁠´⁠∩⁠。⁠•⁠ ⁠ᵕ⁠ ⁠•⁠。⁠∩⁠`⁠)
Polyspora

Stomiks wrote:

Loserotaku wrote:

-Remi wrote:

ill be the new abraker

btw acroba, there is always an overlord to protect us from other gods, if abraker goes, we'll have someone else in his place to defend us
Manishh

Stomiks wrote:

Loserotaku wrote:

-Remi wrote:

ill be the new abraker
so will I
Patatitta
also do we really consider word vomit like 3 paragraphs?, seems pretty short to me
Topic Starter
-Umbreon-

Patatitta wrote:

also do we really consider word vomit like 3 paragraphs?, seems pretty short to me
I don't talk much irl, actions speak louder than words imo
show more