forum

Why OT is BORING!! (And here’s why)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YyottaCat
Clickbait titles let’s go!

Seriously though, none of the new threads are tempting enough for me to click on. Everything people talk about is boring trash, no events, no nothing. There’s a thread for every single little detail in every single day of life, yet we seldom get topics worth conversations.
ghoulybits
Yeah I kinda feel that way too tbh. It makes browsing super draining because I just know I won't actually achieve anything by looking at the new posts. It gets even worse when metas happen that clog up the entire front page with shit like "reply to see what I think about you" or vague spam like that which doesn't encourage genuine interest in the thread, but rather an interest in a perceived outcome. I know some people dislike lore posts but like 1. buddy you're in the wrong place then and 2. they're a billion times more interesting than some of the other random drivel that gets posted here, and more importantly, lead to genuine interactivity that is based more on having a conversation than having something be told to you.

I'm not sure any of that made sense. Oh well.
Cerno
true, it just demotivates me to check ot everyday with low quality threads flooding the page. ill still be hosting game nights (next session's next week btw), but from now on i'll mostly just be lurking or occasionally appear in interesting threads every now and then
Kaaruumii
why does this place want quality?
Ymir
Even though I partially agree with you, if you come to OT and expect quality, you only have yourself to blame. I'm not saying this as a joke, I mean it. OT is the last place I come to for entertainment, if the quality is suddenly lacking or I'm not having as much fun, it's as simple as not interacting, or interacting half-assedly. It's really not much to ponder over. OT will be OT, and there will be periods of quality spikes, and decline.

I also do think OT is not doing too bad at the moment, we've got the Compliment showdown coming up (even though you personally deny the success of the thread, it's always worth a shot), we have the Tournament of Power, and a Talent Show.

However, I would like to throw an opinion out there, and it's going to be both a controversial and unreasonable one:

I'm all for ABOLISHING threads which update daily, such as the "I will change this title every-day" and TierLists thread. Despite those threads being very successful and somewhat fun threads, I feel like it's pulling in too much traffic. Especially the TierLists thread, which I believe will tire out eventually. I have nothing against the posters nor the concept, but I rarely like to interact with these threads myself, and I much prefer looking at new threads.

OT would be more 'fun' if we let these things die, or change the frequency of the thread updates. The posters of these threads have what it takes to produce quality, but having to manage a thread daily isn't really that great.

It forces someone to think of a thread title or idea every single day, as opposed to letting them use that creativity across multiple days to produce something worthwhile. It also just looks like another mediocre thread on the forum. Once again, I apologise if it hurts any feelings, but that's my true opinion on the matter.

Of course, that's only if I really cared about the Quality of OT to the extent that the people in this thread seem to. It's not something I think about, nor care about, that often.

If you'd like me to elaborate further, I can, but don't expect me to present you with too much facts and logic, it's mostly a personal opinion.

Also, you need personal threads here and there to offset all the good threads. Having such quality on so many threads will push our expectations too high.
ClevelandsMyBro
ayy its the annual "complain about tha state of ot" and i fucking back it this year around.
Achromalia

-Remi wrote:

Even though I partially agree with you, if you come to OT and expect quality, you only have yourself to blame. I'm not saying this as a joke, I mean it. OT is the last place I come to for entertainment, if the quality is suddenly lacking or I'm not having as much fun, it's as simple as not interacting, or interacting half-assedly. It's really not much to ponder over. OT will be OT, and there will be periods of quality spikes, and decline.

I also do think OT is not doing too bad at the moment, we've got the Compliment showdown coming up (even though you personally deny the success of the thread, it's always worth a shot), we have the Tournament of Power, and a Talent Show.

However, I would like to throw an opinion out there, and it's going to be both a controversial and unreasonable one:

I'm all for ABOLISHING threads which update daily, such as the "I will change this title every-day" and TierLists thread. Despite those threads being very successful and somewhat fun threads, I feel like it's pulling in too much traffic. Especially the TierLists thread, which I believe will tire out eventually. I have nothing against the posters nor the concept, but I rarely like to interact with these threads myself, and I much prefer looking at new threads.

OT would be more 'fun' if we let these things die, or change the frequency of the thread updates. The posters of these threads have what it takes to produce quality, but having to manage a thread daily isn't really that great.

It forces someone to think of a thread title or idea every single day, as opposed to letting them use that creativity across multiple days to produce something worthwhile. It also just looks like another mediocre thread on the forum. Once again, I apologise if it hurts any feelings, but that's my true opinion on the matter.

Of course, that's only if I really cared about the Quality of OT to the extent that the people in this thread seem to. It's not something I think about, nor care about, that often.

If you'd like me to elaborate further, I can, but don't expect me to present you with too much facts and logic, it's mostly a personal opinion.

Also, you need personal threads here and there to offset all the good threads. Having such quality on so many threads will push our expectations too high.
this and op with ghoulybits are pretty reasonable perspectives, as much as i partially fail to share their urgency.

in my experience, quality is bound to remain finnicky, and low and high quality threads will continue to have their merit in flux. i appreciate this arc, even though i also sense the absence of lore starting to sink in, and with other thread types forming their own precedent, it's hard to expect the effort usually seen in the early post-ot!pression era underneath the shitposting. we really had a fun narrative going on, with its own geopolitical intraforum context, and that's been lost in time.

that said, abolition won't solve this. historically, we've taken some approaches toward curbing undesirable types of thread expression and found that it came with limited positive effect, unless we tied it in with the lore at the time as a canonical infighting type of deal. expectation was another thing i seem to vaguely recall being discussed at the time too, where we were trying to figure out where to go with post quality and how far to take our effort lore and all.

we typically work best by nurturing and cultivating the things we're looking for. it's a little obvious, but it's particularly organic and freeing and allows for emergent properties just through giving the chance for change by building that precedent yourself.

all in all, can't really fault people much from my perspective. roleplay is ever-changing and its presence shifts with the nature and existing disposition of its forum-dwellers, and i think the mourning of that quality is in itself a faintly positive signal for its return should someone choose to engage in it.
qwt
when yotoacat think ot boreing :9(
Ymir

Achromalia wrote:

-Remi wrote:

this and op with ghoulybits are pretty reasonable perspectives, as much as i partially fail to share them.

in my experience, quality is bound to remain finnicky, and low and high quality threads will continue to have their merit in flux. i appreciate this arc, even though i also sense the absence of lore starting to sink in, and with other thread types forming their own precedent, it's hard to expect the effort usually seen in the early post-ot!pression era underneath the shitposting. we really had a fun narrative going on, with its own geopolitical intraforum context, and that's been lost in time.

that said, abolition won't solve this. historically, we've taken some approaches toward curbing undesirable types of thread expression and found that it came with limited positive effect, unless we tied it in with the lore at the time as a canonical infighting type of deal. expectation was another thing i seem to vaguely recall being discussed at the time too, where we were trying to figure out where to go with post quality and how far to take our effort lore and all.

we typically work best by nurturing and cultivating the things we're looking for. it's a little obvious, but it's particularly organic and freeing and allows for emergent properties just through giving the chance for change by building that precedent yourself.

all in all, can't really fault people much from my perspective. roleplay is ever-changing and its presence shifts with the nature and existing disposition of its forum-dwellers, and i think the mourning of that quality is in itself a faintly positive signal for its return should someone choose to engage in it
Well, I can only agree with what you said, as I'm not too familiar with former times.

I'll clarify a bit with what I meant by expectations.
Aside from the fact that 'value is in the eye of the beholder', I do believe that too much 'quality' at a time, will bring people to quickly bore from such threads as well.
Even though I mentioned Tournaments as a positive in my original response, I do understand that they may also start getting boring for some people.

Eventually, the people of OT will expect something greater, or preferably, something different.
Quality depreciates over time.
[ Sebastian ]
The last time I made something unique with my fanfic thread, it really didn't go well. I just want to avoid that again.
Patatitta
actually kinda disagree, there is like 5 events going on right now really, but it's true that on a full page of new threads I only answer in like 5, but I think that's entirely fine, if scyla wants to peek schizo posting let them, everyone makes therads ased on their own personality, and we cant really force them to do otherwise, what you consider to be good may be considered bad by someone else, and I think everyone's opinion is equally as valid

we cannot really hold people to this standard of quality made by people that enjoy different stuff that them, I dont really think we have the authority to dictate stuff like that

Just wait until you start seeing threads that you enjoy, it will probably happen
Manishh
I disagree, if you feel like that threads are trash then make a good one yourself. You cant expect someone to make a good thread just because you want quality. Thats stupid. If you want quality post then go in GD. Thats the place where you find Good topics to talk about and what do you think is a Quality thread which is suitable for Off-topic? You cant make shops everyday or padoru lore everyday. Even a lore get boring if stretched it out for long time.

Its same as, "OT! is dead". Which not gonna help
Scyla

if u shitpost while this is on play at background, everything is high quality

Ymir

Manishh wrote:

I disagree, if you feel like that threads are trash then make a good one yourself. You cant expect someone to make a good thread just because you want quality. Thats stupid. If you want quality post then go in GD. Thats the place where you find Good topics to talk about and what do you think is a Quality thread which is suitable for Off-topic? You cant make shops everyday or padoru lore everyday. Even a lore get boring if stretched it out for long time.

GD is dead.

To be completely honest, if we go by the engagement here, this thread is of better quality than the other recent threads.

But that begs the old question from the Denizenship Drama:

What is Quality?
Manishh

-Remi wrote:

Manishh wrote:

GD is dead.

To be completely honest, if we go by the engagement here, this thread is of better quality than the other recent threads.

But that begs the old question from the Denizenship Drama:

What is Quality?
yeah thats the problem

Something can be quality for one and not for the other.
Like for me, there has been many good threads. For example, Padoru lore, Song festival, dPeace thread and many more
ghoulybits
Telling someone to post in GD should be considered a felony
Scyla
srsly tho, are ppl afraid to make threads cause they fear their threads will flop?
Manishh
in my opinion.

Off-Topic = Dumb funny threads
Patatitta

Scyla wrote:

srsly tho, are ppl afraid to make threads cause they fear their threads will flop?
all of my threads flop and I keep making them so
Ymir

ghoulybits wrote:

Telling someone to post in GD should be considered a felony
I don't understand why it exists, actually.
show more