forum

winny's tech corner

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Winnyace
inspired by patatitta's analysis corner but likely more boring for some of y'all.

I will post whatever I find interesting from the world of tech. it will probably be related to pc hardware, though, both old and new.

let's start then, shall we?

The fact that a company this big can fuck up something this basic is concerning.

If it had the ability to read it from the stack too, in some way, it would have been fantastic, honestly. As is, this is pretty neat, but meh.
sametdze
intel inside
Topic Starter
Winnyace

sametdze wrote:

intel inside
ultra iconic jingle man
z0z
i installed linux on a macbook and broke the macos install
Topic Starter
Winnyace
good
z0z

Winnyace wrote:

good
just getting it back up since i do have something that only runs on ios stuff
Topic Starter
Winnyace

z0z wrote:

fair enough
reffty_gag
bro my monitor still doesn't on cuz the motherboard was hitted, so the service guy cant fix it. But we can just change the motherboard or fix the motherboard (but both have an expensive prices) so i cant play osu ever again until i or my dad has an enough money :c
z0z

Winnyace wrote:

z0z wrote:

fair enough
if you got an idea on how to get an .ipa file running on linux, i wouldn't mind hearing
Patatitta
don't give up on this thraed like that one tech recommendations thread which honestly idk if it was made by your or not but I just know it failed after 2 days
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Patatitta wrote:

don't give up on this thraed like that one tech recommendations thread which honestly idk if it was made by your or not but I just know it failed after 2 days
I don't remember making that thread, but maybe I did. I don't have the best memory. I will try to not let this one die and just keep posting things I find interesting.

z0z wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

z0z wrote:

fair enough
if you got an idea on how to get an .ipa file running on linux, i wouldn't mind hearing
Since I don't have any Apple device, I didn't have to deal with ipa files, thus I don't know any way I can help you with this. Sorry.

reffty_gag wrote:

bro my monitor still doesn't on cuz the motherboard was hitted, so the service guy cant fix it. But we can just change the motherboard or fix the motherboard (but both have an expensive prices) so i cant play osu ever again until i or my dad has an enough money :c
Talk with your dad and check out second hand computers in your area. I'm sure there are people selling computers with more life on them that can be used to play games and whatnot for cheaper prices than brand new.
Patatitta
Jangsoodlor

Patatitta wrote:

nvm it was jang
Ho lee sheet I totally forgor
Wimpy Cursed
hm

ruby language
Laxxer
We need Blushing here to do a technical analysis of this thread.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

hm

ruby language
never really tried, tbh

Rant incoming:

Lately, I've been experiencing these playback errors on Firefox, no doubt because Google is trying to add ads back again, this time on the server side, so adblockers can't do anything. It is, however, annoying, mostly because there is no regulation on the ads. You can promote anything and Google won't bat an eye. At least on TV, the thing being advertise is of some quality, it isn't straight up lying. It may be overly exaggerated, but not completely untrue. I'll try to switch to a Chromium based browser, probably Ungoogled Chromium, to see how it works there.
Topic Starter
Winnyace
So far, so good. I've installed the Flatpak version of Ungoogled Chromium and it works pretty well. I was even able to import my Firefox bookmarks here, which is great! I also have Brave installed, as a Flatpak as well.
Patatitta
never had that issue
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Patatitta wrote:

never had that issue
Hmm... Interesting. Worth noting that disabling UBlock didn't fix the issue. I'm guessing it is Google being weird, again...
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Click on the image to go to the article

This is 3 weeks old, it seems they're turning back on this, but man, Microsoft is really forceful with Windows 11. I'm curious what you guys will do after Windows 10 ends:
  1. Stick with Windows 10
  2. Move to an enterprise version (they usually have longer lasting support)
  3. Move to Linux
  4. Give up and go with Windows 11
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Nanofranne
Alright finally something that I can ask about

I'm planning to use linux (Mint) alongside my Windows installation for my computer needs. I want to learn Linux because I want to try and customise my desktop look and feel in a way it's unique and exactly as I want it.

The question is, How do I get used to Dual-booting?

Because of my college, I pretty much still need windows for many programmes that are not available on Linux and can't be attempted to run either. Perhaps I can set aside my personal and hobby stuff exclusive to my Linux installation and keep Windows only for serious stuff? Though I'm not sure how I can do this, I feel clueless on how to actually doing it.
Polyspora

Nanofranne wrote:

I'm planning to use linux (Mint) alongside my Windows installation for my computer needs. I want to learn Linux because I want to try and customise my desktop look and feel in a way it's unique and exactly as I want it.

Because of my college, I pretty much still need windows for many programmes that are not available on Linux and can't be attempted to run either. Perhaps I can set aside my personal and hobby stuff exclusive to my Linux installation and keep Windows only for serious stuff? Though I'm not sure how I can do this, I feel clueless on how to actually doing it.
use a virtual machine for windows, good luck.

Nanofranne wrote:

I feel clueless on how to actually doing it.
average linux experience, get used to it
sbm92001
I have dualbooted for a long time and for most things I find them easier on linux. The mint installer should let you install alongside a windows installation fine. I know it did when I installed it a few years ago. Just make sure you read everything carefully and that is says its going to do what you want. If you format your windows partition you can't easily get it back. It is also a good idea to make a backup of your windows installation just in case you mess something up, but that would be quite hard with the mint installer. You can customize pretty much any distro how you want, so mint is a good a choice as any for that.

The arch wiki is a great resource for any distro and has a lot of information about most common things you would want to install. Just using Linux as your daily driver and using windows for things that absolutely require it is the best way to get used to it imo. Thats what I do now, and I barely ever boot into windows for things besides games that dont run on linux. I don't really ever boot into windows on my desktop and just play windows only games on my laptop (like valorant and league of legends). Lazer runs well on linux, as well as stable if you use the osu-wine script to set it up. I find stable to run better than on windows to be honest. The audio latency is night and day, and feels so much better.

If you want and your pc is compatible you can also setup a vm with gpu passthrough if you need it for a windows program that needs acceleration, but it can be quite annoying especially if you only have one gpu (including no integrated graphics). If you have any questions I will try to answer also if you want.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Nanofranne wrote:

When you install Linux Mint, if everything is setup correctly, you should be able the installer say "install Linux Mint alongside Windows". The setup is very simple: make the bootable USB drive you have for Linux Mint be same the partition scheme as the Windows install. Boot the USB drive as the same partition scheme as the Windows install and everything should be good.

To check the partition scheme on Windows, open the Command Prompt as an administrator and then type
diskpart

after that, type
list disk
you shall something similar to this

You could also look online for how to check for the partition scheme on Windows and check if it is GPT or MBR. After that, doing your USB flash drive shouldn't be an issue.
Nanofranne

sbm92001 wrote:

If you have any questions I will try to answer also if you want.
Thanks for such detailed answer. I do have a dumb question about VM. Does having a discrete GPU cards matter? I'm having none, only relying on intergrated graphic on my AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with only 12 GB of RAM to spare. How do I set up Window VM inside Linux for smooth and snappy performance?
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Nanofranne wrote:

sbm92001 wrote:

If you have any questions I will try to answer also if you want.
Thanks for such detailed answer. I do have a dumb question about VM. Does having a discrete GPU cards matter? I'm having none, only relying on intergrated graphic on my AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with only 12 GB of RAM to spare. How do I set up Window VM inside Linux for smooth and snappy performance?
It doesn't matter, but it will make it harder to have smooth and snappy video performance. It can help to passthrough your GPU to the VM. Problem is that it is rather difficult, from what I've seen. Even with my system, I had issues doing a GPU passthrough and having smooth video, and frankly, I believe a beginner in Linux should dual boot for a bit.
Nanofranne

Winnyace wrote:

When you install Linux Mint, if everything is setup correctly, you should be able the installer say "install Linux Mint alongside Windows". The setup is very simple: make the bootable USB drive you have for Linux Mint be same the partition scheme as the Windows install. Boot the USB drive as the same partition scheme as the Windows install and everything should be good.
Thanks for the answer too. I already have mint dual-booted on my single ssd. I only give it like 60GB. Should be enough (I think) for me to play around and learn stuff. But now I'm in dilemma where:

• Leaving stuff as is, switch boot between personal stuff (Mint) and college stuff (Windows). It can be a hassle to do this
• Or taking a risk of getting Linux natively, get rid of Windows and run it on VM. All for much better way to use my computer and incetive for me to REALLY learn Linux

I use my laptop to do 3d render. I'm afraid I will have serious trouble running it on a VM that way too, or any unforeseen consequences and problems for that matter..
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Nanofranne wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Thanks for the answer too. I already have mint dual-booted on my single ssd. I only give it like 60GB. Should be enough (I think) for me to play around and learn stuff. But now I'm in dilemma where:

• Leaving stuff as is, switch boot between personal stuff (Mint) and college stuff (Windows). It can be a hassle to do this
• Or taking a risk of getting Linux natively, get rid of Windows and run it on VM. All for much better way to use my computer and incetive for me to REALLY learn Linux

I use my laptop to do 3d render. I'm afraid I will have serious trouble running it on a VM that way too, or any unforeseen consequences and problems for that matter..
I sadly don't see any good solution for you. I think just sticking with a dual boot and using Linux wherever you can is the best way to do it. Attempt to do most things you do day-to-day on Linux. That's the best way to learn it.
Nanofranne

Winnyace wrote:

Nanofranne wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I sadly don't see any good solution for you. I think just sticking with a dual boot and using Linux wherever you can is the best way to do it. Attempt to do most things you do day-to-day on Linux. That's the best way to learn it.
Ahh okay. I also feel like I shouldn't mess things around for serious work stuff. Will see things I can do well on Linux and which should stay on Windows!
Topic Starter
Winnyace
Google is your best friend here. Trying shit out is also.
Jangsoodlor

Winnyace wrote:

This is 3 weeks old, it seems they're turning back on this, but man, Microsoft is really forceful with Windows 11. I'm curious what you guys will do after Windows 10 ends:
  1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
Corne2Plum3

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Microsoft trying to make Windows better (they failed again)
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
What distro you movin' to?
Patatitta

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
I don't think they're trying to make it better, just profit more out of it
Farfocele

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
yeah, microsoft is definitely not doing this for the good of the consumers. Like most of their stuff.
great_elmo

Farfocele wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
yeah, microsoft is definitely not doing this for the good of the consumers. Like most of their stuff.
Me who upgraded from 11 to 7 (temporarily until I get a new pc): I'm expecting an EU lawsuit soon

Windows 11 is amazing in that it let me try out Linux Mint!
Topic Starter
Winnyace

OwO chonky system
MistressRemilia

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

hm

ruby language
I prefer Crystal myself. Though I came to it as a Common Lisp programmer who does shit like audio processing and a few attempts at game programming, not a web programmer.
great_elmo
I'm gonna buy a new mouse tomorrow and I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm on a budget of $80 and stuff for PC is expensive as hell here in Canada. Right now I' considering the Basilisk V3 Hyperspeed.
Jangsoodlor

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
still thinking but probably be debian/ubuntu based
Topic Starter
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

I'm gonna buy a new mouse tomorrow and I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm on a budget of $80 and stuff for PC is expensive as hell here in Canada. Right now I' considering the Basilisk V3 Hyperspeed.
I've a SteelSeries Rival 3. On Amazon Canada, it seems to cost 30CAD. Frankly, just about any gaming mouse likely has a decent enough sensor in it. If you want something smaller, perhaps look at the G102 from Logitech.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
Hmm. I see. If I may recommend something, look at Fedora or something based on it like Nobara. It is solid from what I've heard, has mainstream support AND has more up-to-date packages compared to Debian based distros.
Jangsoodlor

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
Hmm. I see. If I may recommend something, look at Fedora or something based on it like Nobara. It is solid from what I've heard, has mainstream support AND has more up-to-date packages compared to Debian based distros.
The thing is, I want a stable system that doesn't break left, right and centre when using it. Is fedora, as a semi-rolling release distro, stable enough for everyday use?
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

1. Stick with Windows 10
  3. Move to Linux
  5. Perhaps touch grass
Move to Linux.
The thing is, I want a stable system that doesn't break left, right and centre when using it. Is fedora, as a semi-rolling release distro, stable enough for everyday use?
They update every 6 months to a major release. To my knowledge, they are pretty stable. Also, rolling releases are as stable as you make them to be, really. You aren't forced to update every single time there is an update.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Twitter users be like:

Meanwhile...

Topic Starter
Winnyace

vibin'
Corne2Plum3

Winnyace wrote:

Meanwhile...

Like do they think websites would care about 3.23% of the userbase lol?
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

It isn't insignificant and the fact they're trying is commendable, frankly. Very soon, we will have CEOs of startups being aware of the slight movement towards more open standards and they will capitalize of that and they will likely be the ones that will use these standards.
great_elmo

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Meanwhile...

I used to use Firefox before Supermium and I disagree.
- Marco -

Winnyace wrote:

Twitter users be like:

Meanwhile...

oh my god oh hell nah
show more