forum

A newbie friendly guide to Linux

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Introduction

Over the last few years, I have been using Linux as my main operating system on my system. While I don't know everything there is to the OS, I know enough that I feel confident making a guide for new people that want to try it out or switch to it.

I'm going to give a disclaimer right now, before I begin: it will take one time, patience and sometimes readjusting of their workflow before Linux will truly, fully work for them. Linux is different than Windows and MacOS and, at least for the moment, it isn't for everybody. Reasons for that are multiple and many are outside of the maintainers/developers of the kernel(s), distributions (term explained later on) and other Linux related things's control. If you feel like this doesn't work for you, even though you actually tried, there's no shame in going back to what you were using. Ultimately, use what works for you.
Personally, I hate it more when someone comes from a place of complete arrogance, yet they still speak like an authority on the subject instead of when they describe their experience and why it didn't/did work for them. I'm sorry if you would experience pain, even after you actually tried, but knowledge is power and knowing that this might not work for you and why is, in my opinion, a very important thing to know, especially as we are more and more dependent on computers and technology as a whole.

I would recommend you backup everything valuable on your current system somewhere safe.

Any questions you might have, I will try my best to answer or at least point you in some direction to find better help.

With the disclaimer out of the way, let's begin.

Why Linux?

I will assume that you already know why you want to use Linux. If want some reasons why, there are multiple places for that. The ones I can think of the top of my head for why to use it over MacOS or Windows are:
  1. Complete freedom over your system
  2. Open Source
  3. Super stable
  4. No added spyware
  5. Easier setup for developers
Before you go head in first, though, I would make a list of software that are essential for you to have. Anything goes here: games, productivity, tools for various purposes you might want to do, etc. Once you have the list, check if they work under Linux and/or there are alternatives available/there is a patch/way to play them under Linux. While some might have Linux builds, they might have some missing features. For example, Discord has a Linux build available, but screen sharing doesn't have audio. It's possible to add it in through various workarounds and custom clients, however. Try to do your research very well.

Depending on how many of your needed pieces of software work, you could begin looking over distributions, begin getting ready to use alternatives or completely ditch the idea of using Linux altogether (which, again, no shame in doing that, just try to be honest about your level of knowledge towards this).

What distribution am I going to use?

For those not in the know, since Linux is just a kernel (the layer between your real, physical hardware and the virtual, digital software that makes the magic happen), there are a lot of Linux operating systems on the market. These all share the name "distribution" or "distro" for short. As a beginner, all you really need to know is that most of them are based on something else. Ubuntu, for example, is one of the most popular Linux distributions, but it is based on another one called Debian. EndeavourOS, the Linux distro I run, is based on Arch Linux.

Really, distributions, after a certain point, will become just settings and customization options that are pre-made for you. There are some distributions that implement patches (which can be installed manually without much hassle usually) for all sorts of problems, but I haven't tried them, so I won't say if they're good or bad. It remains within your own judgement if you want to try these out for yourself.

Ultimately, however, it's up to personal choice and you like. Don't go to some weird distro just because "it is more based". There really isn't the correct answer.

If you're just starting out, Linux Mint provides one of the single best experiences for newcomers and expert users alike, in my opinion. Pop!_OS is likewise really good and provides some QoL patches that would be really appreciated. Both of these are based on Ubuntu, so any problem you might have that has a solution for an Ubuntu system will work 99% of the time on Pop or Mint as well. For ease of writing this, I will assume you will install Linux Mint.

A word of advice: older tutorials might recommened beginners to use Manjaro. Don't. There are a lot of reasons as to why, but they can be boiled down to the maintainers being, for the lack of a better term, incompetent and the way the distro works under the hood also leaves a lot of room for an user to completely trash their system with no easy way of fixing short of reinstalling everything. Skip Manjaro entirely.

Installation for both of those distributions is as easy as clicking next a bunch of times. I would recommend reading, however, between clicking next and being careful what check and what you don't. For both of these distros, the installers should be very clear. Both should offer the ability to dual boot if they detect Windows/MacOS installed. There are tutorials out there if they don't. I should also mention that Google will become your best friend. Don't be afraid to read a ton and search stuff up.

Some info you might find useful about Linux Mint

Some distros, like Mint, offer multiple desktop environments up for download. Desktop environments are a bundle of apps that go together to offer a complete experience. From low level things to the things you interact with daily, these desktop environments are at the heart of the way your Linux system will look and behave. For Mint, the default option is a desktop environment called Cinnamon. It is developed by the Linux Mint developers, specifically for Mint. It is decently light and fast, that has a lot features. They also have a MATE and XFCE iso.
MATE is a desktop environment trying to emulate a previous version of GNOME, which is the most popular desktop environment for Linux. I haven't used it much personally.
XFCE is a desktop environment that is built from scratch. It is light weight and made to be fully modular. Choose this one if you have a slightly older computer or you want to go in the deep end of Linux customization.
Whichever one you choose it doesn't really matter. The features will be mostly the same. For this guide, I will assume you picked the Cinnamon desktop environment.

I should also mention that you aren't limited to these 3 ones only. You're free to install whatever desktop environment you want, but things might not be as smooth as with the default desktop environment.

After installing Mint, I would recommend you go through the welcome app they display on first boot. It will some information you might find useful and recommended steps (like updating the system and installing special drivers if need be) you should take after install. After this, you're ready to rock and roll!

Getting programs

Now that you have updated your system and you got everything set up for usage, it's time to get programs going. This is where you might find that a lot of tutorials and forum posts regarding problems online will usually have only the terminal commands for doing something. You shouldn't fear the terminal. It is an app of great power. With great power comes great responsibility, however. There are a few commands that knowing about might save you from potentially destroying your system. Here's a link for 10 such commands. Most things that you would find online, however, at least from my experience is safe.

Linux Mint offers a graphical package installer as well. Feel free to use it. Try to avoid going on online to download apps. It isn't adviced to do that on Linux.

Installing osu! on Linux

You can install both Lazer (has native support, thank you peppy) or stable. Lazer has been packaged in a format called AppImages. These are simple files that contain everything needed within them to run the program. Just make it executable and run it.
Mini tutorial of sorts
  1. Open the file explorer (should be in the taskbar, which is called a panel here by the way)
  2. Find where you saved the file (default is in Downloads)
  3. Right click and see if there is a option to open the location with the terminal. It should be. If there isn't, open the terminal normally and type
    cd Downloads/
  4. Afterwards type in
    chmod u+x osu.AppImage
  5. Run and have fun. You can run it directly from the terminal with
    ./osu.AppImage

For stable, there's a script available to automatically do everything needed for installing osu stable. Follow the instructions on the GitHub repo and you should be good.

Final words

It's really possible I forgot something, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here and I will try to answer them. It's also very possible I messed up somewhere while writing this, so feel free to ask/correct me if you spot any of these mistakes.

If you have problems with Linux and you can't find the solution, don't be afraid to ask. There are a lot of Discord servers and forums online related to this. ThePoon's server has a section for osu on Linux related problems. Feel free to go there and ask if there's something you have problems with.
Reyalp51
Henlo
Topic Starter
Winnyace
Hi
abraker
Reyalp51
Dont use arch btw
Topic Starter
Winnyace

abraker wrote:

I said in the original post as well that one should just use what works for them. If someone wants to spend 30 hours setting shit up, let them do it. I do agree that Arch users are pretty annoying, though, especially the ones with a superiority complex.
Hydreigon
will bookmark and read later...

as a reward for thy effort, here is the actual asuka:

Jangsoodlor
well I'll move after windows 10 support is gone
Polyspora
just use windows
Ymir
First time I've bookmarked someone else's thread, lol.
Karmine

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
Legit the best advice for people who want to get to know Linux is using Windows and WSL.
I wish I had that as my first Linux experience instead of a shitty live usb with a gnome 🤢 interface.
z0z
jumped right into pop-os lol
Duck o-o
Might use this if i ever try linux or in case windows goes bad in a way that cant be solved with a 3rd party software
Dawns
How can you tell if someone uses Linux? Wait 30 minutes till they start trying to convert you!
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Dementedduck wrote:

Might use this if i ever try linux or in case windows goes bad in a way that cant be solved with a 3rd party software
I would recommend you read/watch other guides.

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
It's not my preferred OS, to be honest. I use it if I have to.
Corne2Plum3

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
- Marco -
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
Polyspora

Karmine wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
Legit the best advice for people who want to get to know Linux is using Windows and WSL.
I wish I had that as my first Linux experience instead of a shitty live usb with a gnome 🤢 interface.
gnome lmao
Corne2Plum3

Polyspora wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
gnome lmao
Try KDE plasma as desktop environment
sametdze
Fuck me, people are interested in it

Ill give you your 20 on monday, winny.
DeletedUser_13957006

Winnyace wrote:

EndeavourOS, the Linux distro I run,
wait you also use EOS?

that's awesome
Rhythm32
You need to learn Linux whereas windows is as easy as it can get. This is true IMO.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

aiq wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

EndeavourOS, the Linux distro I run,
wait you also use EOS?

that's awesome
Yeah. Nvidia on Linux scares me still, though I am wondering of I should just go with Arch and not worry.

Rhythm32 wrote:

You need to learn Linux whereas windows is as easy as it can get. This is true IMO.
You still had to learn how to use Windows, but yeah the process was easier.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

- Marco - wrote:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
RMS loves you.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Dawns wrote:

How can you tell if someone uses Linux? Wait 30 minutes till they start trying to convert you!
Why is that? Mainly because people who decide to go through this process actually enjoy it and want to talk about it. If you don't like it, ignore it or say you aren't interested.

Karmine wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
Comparing WSL with actual Linux desktop is like comparing oranges to apples IMO. The primary use case for WSL is for developer workloads, IIRC, not GUI apps. It's possible to run them, but I see no reason to do so.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

sametdze wrote:

Fuck me, people are interested in it

Ill give you your 20 on monday, winny.
Uhh... don't worry about that. I don't want anything.
Reyalp51
quadruple kill
Patatitta
windows users:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows

linux users:

- Marco - wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
gnome lmao
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Patatitta wrote:

windows users:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows

linux users:

- Marco - wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Polyspora wrote:

just use windows
gnome lmao
Okay.
z0z
windows users don't need to discourage others from using linux
Kobold84
Hello, is this an off-topic subforum?
How to patch KDE2 under FreeBSD?
KatouMegumi

Kobold84 wrote:

Hello, is this an off-topic subforum?
How to patch KDE2 under FreeBSD?
Sir, this is a Wendy's.
B0ii

z0z wrote:

and vice versa
Topic Starter
Winnyace

B0ii wrote:

z0z wrote:

and vice versa
Re-read the first section of the original post. I quite clearly said people are free to use whatever works for them. If you don't want to use Linux, go ahead and don't use it.

I swear, I can't even begin talking about something I like and I know because everybody under the fucking sun thinks I try to convert them. Holy fucking shit.
Rizumu Tenshi
You guys aren't helpful holy God
Only the topic creator so far wrote awesome stuff here, why don't you guys actually exchange actual info

I may need a completely different device, a phone for example, with its notepad, to memo all the apps (and games) I need with me before I can uninstall Windows completely in favour of, say, Pop!_OS, but..............
Tetris Effect: Connected
This one is a lost cause, thanks Microsoft. I'll need to re-buy this on Steam to even get started. Unless UWP on Linux is somewhat possible......
Floral Flowlove (フローラル・フローラブ)
I have a raw dump, for starters.

Some forums out there call out the Siglus engine as the problematic when it comes to launching this game, but what they don't know is the game not only needs the Japanese locale on Windows but as well the Japanese timezone setting. If I'm down to the NekoNyan translated release, well, crap, this is the one going into the Bottles I guess......assuming it works there, if I don't need Proton for it.

If this one works, automatically any other visual novel should work.
Princess Connect! Re:Dive (プリンセスコネクト!Re:Dive)
This one honestly has me thinking all the time, since it's a DMM GAMES release, and DMM in itself could be a DRM for some out there. I tried asking r/Priconne about this, but the post was immediately filtered and auto-deleted by reddit itself, which is a shame honestly, but reddit being reddit as usual. Whether Wine or Proton will do I'm not sure, since while there's the stuff like Lutris and Heroic, whether they can take in DMM Game Player or not is the question.

If this one works, retroactively Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (ウマ娘 プリティーダービー) should work as well.
DEEMO -Reborn-
Pirated copy. I'm not going to buy this until Rayark redeem themselves after the AI fiasco.

In fact what makes this a problem is the fact I pirated it, given I don't know EXACTLY how Wine deals with these sorts of stuff. Or Proton at that. (Bottles is just a Wine interface after all.) If anyone on Linux pirated a Windows game before, any info would help.
DJMAX RESPECT V
I did not buy this yet.

XIGNCODE3.
Period.
I'll have to figure out for these aforementioned first before I can uninstall Windows, but maybe if anyone knows (please read the spoilerboxes) I could use help before experimenting with Pop!_OS (dualboot first) and getting any results, be it good or bad?

For reference:
Lenovo Legion Y540
  1. Intel Core i7-9750H
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  3. 16GB DDR4-2666
  4. 256GB NVMe M.2 Gen3 + 1TB SATA 5400RPM
Detailed specs if curious

EDIT: For reference I tried using a virtual machine first, but Bottles couldn't even get started, so I thought maybe it's the idea I'm using a VM that's holding it back.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rizumu Tenshi wrote:

You guys aren't helpful holy God
Only the topic creator so far wrote awesome stuff here, why don't you guys actually exchange actual info

I may need a completely different device, a phone for example, with its notepad, to memo all the apps (and games) I need with me before I can uninstall Windows completely in favour of, say, Pop!_OS, but..............
Tetris Effect: Connected
This one is a lost cause, thanks Microsoft. I'll need to re-buy this on Steam to even get started. Unless UWP on Linux is somewhat possible......
Floral Flowlove (フローラル・フローラブ)
I have a raw dump, for starters.

Some forums out there call out the Siglus engine as the problematic when it comes to launching this game, but what they don't know is the game not only needs the Japanese locale on Windows but as well the Japanese timezone setting. If I'm down to the NekoNyan translated release, well, crap, this is the one going into the Bottles I guess......assuming it works there, if I don't need Proton for it.

If this one works, automatically any other visual novel should work.
Princess Connect! Re:Dive (プリンセスコネクト!Re:Dive)
This one honestly has me thinking all the time, since it's a DMM GAMES release, and DMM in itself could be a DRM for some out there. I tried asking r/Priconne about this, but the post was immediately filtered and auto-deleted by reddit itself, which is a shame honestly, but reddit being reddit as usual. Whether Wine or Proton will do I'm not sure, since while there's the stuff like Lutris and Heroic, whether they can take in DMM Game Player or not is the question.

If this one works, retroactively Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (ウマ娘 プリティーダービー) should work as well.
DEEMO -Reborn-
Pirated copy. I'm not going to buy this until Rayark redeem themselves after the AI fiasco.

In fact what makes this a problem is the fact I pirated it, given I don't know EXACTLY how Wine deals with these sorts of stuff. Or Proton at that. (Bottles is just a Wine interface after all.) If anyone on Linux pirated a Windows game before, any info would help.
DJMAX RESPECT V
I did not buy this yet.

XIGNCODE3.
Period.
I'll have to figure out for these aforementioned first before I can uninstall Windows, but maybe if anyone knows (please read the spoilerboxes) I could use help before experimenting with Pop!_OS (dualboot first) and getting any results, be it good or bad?

For reference:
Lenovo Legion Y540
  1. Intel Core i7-9750H
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
  3. 16GB DDR4-2666
  4. 256GB NVMe M.2 Gen3 + 1TB SATA 5400RPM
Detailed specs if curious

EDIT: For reference I tried using a virtual machine first, but Bottles couldn't even get started, so I thought maybe it's the idea I'm using a VM that's holding it back.

Tetris Effect: Connected is listed on ProtonDB as Platinum and it is Deck Verified, so it should work OOTB

I've Aokana, Senren Banka and Qualia installed. They work by simply calling Wine on the exe files. They're NekoNyan/Sekai Project versions of the games, however and it seems that the title Floral Flowlove isn't yet released by NekoNyan. If shit hits the fan bad, VMs are available (from VirtualBox to more advanced things like QEMU) and dual booting is IMO a valid option if you can afford to have two different HDDs in your computer or you have enough space for both OSes.

For the third title, I honestly have no idea. I'm sorry, but I simply can't even extract anything.

Pirated games on Linux is a mixed bag. There is one group that releases native games and Windows games that have pre-made prefixes and sometimes Wine versions. You can download the games pre-installed and then run them through Wine-ge or Proton (imo better) directly. I have had great results with these two in the past.

I honestly don't know what you meant in the final spoilerbox, so I will just skip it.

As a frame of reference, if the game is on Steam, there's a high chance it works OOTB or with minor tweaks. If not, it will depend on the game's popularity and how little Windows only components it uses.
Rhythm32
Can you run Linux on a garbage PC, let me pull up the specs for you:

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Pentium dual core cpu
Integrated Graphics
Windows 10
Topic Starter
Winnyace
The fact you're running Windows 10 on that is extremely impressive. Anyway, yes, yes you can. In fact, it might actually work better. Linux Lite or Lubuntu would work better than Windows on that I think
Rizumu Tenshi

Winnyace wrote:

I honestly don't know what you meant in the final spoilerbox, so I will just skip it.
XIGNCODE3 is much akin to EasyAntiCheat basically, but I hear BAD stuff about specifically XIGNCODE3 and possibly word of it being actually illegal in America......

EDIT: It may be more akin to Riot's Vanguard, actually.
Rhythm32

Winnyace wrote:

The fact you're running Windows 10 on that is extremely impressive. Anyway, yes, yes you can. In fact, it might actually work better. Linux Lite or Lubuntu would work better than Windows on that I think
The OS doesn't lag but the games do. Like it can run Minecraft Java pretty fine, but sucks to run lazer and sometimes even stable client.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

The OS doesn't lag but the games do. Like it can run Minecraft Java pretty fine, but sucks to run lazer and sometimes even stable client.
I'm just confused how you have trouble running stable compared to Minecraft Java, to be honest.
Hydreigon

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I'm just confused how you have trouble running stable compared to Minecraft Java, to be honest.
maybe he's playing at very low settings or something... idk... im 99% sure that osu is a less demanding game compared to minecraft.

Rhythm32 wrote:

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Pentium dual core cpu
Integrated Graphics
Windows 10
like this is pretty low end specs tbh, at that point its most likely the hardware's fault that causing the games to lag.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Hydreigon wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

maybe he's playing at very low settings or something... idk... im 99% sure that osu is a less demanding game compared to minecraft.
Even then, Minecraft Java Edition is known to be a beast of a game that can put down systems with a 4090 in it, at least without mods.
Hydreigon

Winnyace wrote:

Even then, Minecraft Java Edition is known to be a beast of a game that can put down systems with a 4090 in it, at least without mods.
yeah i think rendering distance mostly contributes to that, at least it can be changed to low for the one's with 2gb ram pc's to high for the ultimate gamers.
KatouMegumi
Speaking of Siglus VNs. I had no problems running it personally, though I did use a nocd crack.
Rhythm32

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I forgot to mention that the stable client lags pretty rarely. That's my sister's pc specs. The PC which I have is a BIT better. My PC specs are:

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Celeron J3060 @1.60 Ghz Dual-Core Processor
Intel Integrated Graphics(128 MB VRAM I think...)
Windows 10

It's an All-In-One PC which can run osu!stable, Minecraft, among us, DDLC and other low end games pretty nicely BUT it sucks in lazer. Like the performer drop is HIGHLY noticeable.
Topic Starter
Winnyace

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

Rhythm32 wrote:

Winnyace wrote:

I forgot to mention that the stable client lags pretty rarely. That's my sister's pc specs. The PC which I have is a BIT better. My PC specs are:

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Celeron J3060 @1.60 Ghz Dual-Core Processor
Intel Integrated Graphics(128 MB VRAM I think...)
Windows 10

It's an All-In-One PC which can run osu!stable, Minecraft, among us, DDLC and other low end games pretty nicely BUT it sucks in lazer. Like the performer drop is HIGHLY noticeable.
I see. That explains things better, to be honest.
Hydreigon

Rhythm32 wrote:

i used to have an All in one PC, they really do suck in the gaming side, but there cheap and serviceable enough for normal stuff like studies or certain work.
Rizumu Tenshi

KatouMegumi wrote:

Speaking of Siglus VNs. I had no problems running it personally, though I did use a nocd crack.
Sounds like a (relative to what I have) previous Saga Planets VN since I don't remember any brand that used the Siglus engine with AlphaROM, but thanks for the hint. I still may have to experiment, but that means I could cross Floral Flowlove as OK.

That's, I think, 3 of 5 good to go: Floral Flowlove, DEEMO -Reborn- and, somehow, DJMAX RESPECT V since XIGNCODE3 actually went on to support Linux, apparently (excellent work Valve!!).
- Marco -
I would use GNU/Linux but my 1060 doesn't want to work using passthough :( :( :(
show more