show more
MaxIsABigKaiju
Bumping
Topic Starter
Patatitta

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

Bumping
no need to bump this thread, I always bump it myself with these types of post

----- monster (2023, not the anime from 2004, or the american movie from 2003) -----

This is a japanese movie by director hirokazu kore-eda, i've actually seen multiple films from this guy, i've seen nobody knows and shopliftes. This director seems to specialize in dramas involving families, however these are NOT family movies as some of these are emotionally painful (mainly nobody knows)

monster is a very unique film, it showcases a very difficult case of bullying from 3 different perspectives, in order, the mother perspective, the teacher perspective, and the child perspective. The timeline of the movie starts with a totally unrelated fire happening somewhere in town, you know you've went to the past and changed perspective by that fire appearing again. Neither the mother or teacher have an actual clear and accurate perspective of the situation, as they're competely filled with external bias, meaning that they see the exact same events in totally different ways.

the child's perspective is the most interesting tho, turns out, that the root problem of the issue was a conflict that involved him protecting another kid who was gay, adding another whole dimension to the already complicated problem. Japan is not really the most tolerant country for LGBT people, so if there is a case like this, it actually makes it very difficult for the kid to actually speak up about the actual situation out of fear or having consequences for taking that stance in support of LGBT people. After that, the teacher understood the situation in a very different way and the mother understood in a very different way, adding a layer of distortion each time, making things worse and worse.

It's also important to say that while the mother's and teachers perspective aren't pure or "true", I don't really think they were wrong, that distortion of the original problem has created another entirerily different issue, and that problem is as worthy of being solved and creating emotional distress as any other.

I really enjoyed this movie, had watched it in the past, It's my second favourite movie of last year (my top 1 is la sociedad de la nieve) and I find the fact that maestro was nominated in the oscars over this really fucking funny if not insulting, but as we know the oscars are very america-focused so it was to be expected

placed in A tier

---

still have to beat danganronpa
haven't started the anime or the manga I have to watch now
reffty_gag

Patatitta wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

Bumping
no need to bump this thread, I always bump it myself with these types of post

----- monster (2023, not the anime from 2004, or the american movie from 2003) -----

This is a japanese movie by director hirokazu kore-eda, i've actually seen multiple films from this guy, i've seen nobody knows and shopliftes. This director seems to specialize in dramas involving families, however these are NOT family movies as some of these are emotionally painful (mainly nobody knows)

monster is a very unique film, it showcases a very difficult case of bullying from 3 different perspectives, in order, the mother perspective, the teacher perspective, and the child perspective. The timeline of the movie starts with a totally unrelated fire happening somewhere in town, you know you've went to the past and changed perspective by that fire appearing again. Neither the mother or teacher have an actual clear and accurate perspective of the situation, as they're competely filled with external bias, meaning that they see the exact same events in totally different ways.

the child's perspective is the most interesting tho, turns out, that the root problem of the issue was a conflict that involved him protecting another kid who was gay, adding another whole dimension to the already complicated problem. Japan is not really the most tolerant country for LGBT people, so if there is a case like this, it actually makes it very difficult for the kid to actually speak up about the actual situation out of fear or having consequences for taking that stance in support of LGBT people. After that, the teacher understood the situation in a very different way and the mother understood in a very different way, adding a layer of distortion each time, making things worse and worse.

It's also important to say that while the mother's and teachers perspective aren't pure or "true", I don't really think they were wrong, that distortion of the original problem has created another entirerily different issue, and that problem is as worthy of being solved and creating emotional distress as any other.

I really enjoyed this movie, had watched it in the past, It's my second favourite movie of last year (my top 1 is la sociedad de la nieve) and I find the fact that maestro was nominated in the oscars over this really fucking funny if not insulting, but as we know the oscars are very america-focused so it was to be expected

placed in A tier

---

still have to beat danganronpa
haven't started the anime or the manga I have to watch now
TY !!!
Corne2Plum3
Review Shrek lol
reffty_gag

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Review Shrek lol
LMAO
Hydreigon
hmm how bout...

review Ford v Ferrari

Topic Starter
Patatitta

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Review Shrek lol
I don't know if this is a joke submission or not but given that I don't want to analyze shrek I will say denied

Hydreigon wrote:

hmm how bout...

review Ford v Ferrari

sure I can do that
Topic Starter
Patatitta
Ryuu to Chameleon

Ongoing manga, has potential but I think it will end up disapointing me on the end

the manga is about two people who swap bodies, one of them is a very popular mangaka who has created something as popular as dragon ball or naruto or whatever and someone who has 0 individuality but is really fucking good at copying other people. Now the one who is very good at copying is on the body of the successful mangaka and the succesful mangaka is forced to start over and try to publish something new

this concept is very interesting, you can explore a lot of stuff with this, mainly, how much does the fandom and the community aspect of a work affect the actual percieved quality of the end product. And with the other guy, how discrimation can happen torwards newer mangakas and how for someone as talented as them, they cant seem to get something serialized, much less actually recreate the success of the previous manga

The second half I spoke about, about how hard it is to become serialized is true, however, the manga seems to go in a direction that reminds me more of action shonen or sport manga than something like blank canvass which was more of what I was expecting. There are a lot of panels and scene that shows like a dragon forming when the guy picks up the pen to draw and everything is very over the top and whatever. This mainly applies for the person who copies (the chameleon in the title), as this character doesn't seem to exist to make a cool point or get in interesting moral or ethical situation, but more to act as an antagonist, which I guess it's fine, but honestly makes me less excited about the future of the manga

so far this is an enjoyable read tho, I recommend it

placed in b tier

-------

next: tiger, tiger: a memoir

started plastic memories, not the best but i'm going to finish it

about danganronpa, i'm enjoying the game but tbh I may blacklist requesting videogames for this thread, they're wayyyyyyyyyy too much of a time commitement to just do because of the funnies and whatever, idk if I will do that or if I will finish danganronpa or whatever
Kobold84

Patatitta wrote:

about danganronpa, i'm enjoying the game but tbh I may blacklist requesting videogames for this thread, they're wayyyyyyyyyy too much of a time commitement to just do because of the funnies and whatever, idk if I will do that or if I will finish danganronpa or whatever
You should probably limit video games requests to like 6-10 hours of playtime judging with this website: https://howlongtobeat.com/
Scyla
Kiss x sis
- Marco -
Review the OT President Building and the OT Parliament
Corne2Plum3

- Marco - wrote:

Do a review for 2023, wait one month later, and review the new parliment
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

- Marco - wrote:

Do a review for 2023, wait one month later, and review the new parliment
denied
MrMcMikey22
i swear to god i might aswell review all the things that patatitta has denied at this point...
Nuuskamuikkunen
If I had time I'd do a similar thread to this.

But everything tells me that this next semester might try to kill me.
MrMcMikey22

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

If I had time I'd do a similar thread to this.

But everything tells me that this next semester might try to kill me.
And everything in my mind tells me that it's impossible to do this, because my work time is about 8 hours long for the first four days. And then Friday's like a short day, but then that Friday quickly gets wasted and then here we finally go! Saturday! And then when Saturday's gone. Sunday's coming and then I'll get sad, because then it'll be MOnday on the next day, cycle repeats, cycle repeats and I uhhhhhhhhhhhhh sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Topic Starter
Patatitta

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

i swear to god i might aswell review all the things that patatitta has denied at this point...
80% all of the denied are troll requests so I would advice against doing so
burgernfat
review ww2
sametdze

burgernfat wrote:

review ww2
wtf do you want patatitta to write, bro is gonna be like

"you see when theodore james miller got shell shock it was a very horrifying scene, i truly feel like the directors perfected this scene"

was theodore james miller even in ww2? honestly cannot remember
Topic Starter
Patatitta

burgernfat wrote:

review ww2
denied
Topic Starter
Patatitta
plastic memories

ngl this anime was kinda mid

for a little bit of context, whenever I watch anything I usually go in blind, I don't read the synopsis, I don't watch trailers, I just take recommendations from people or see that it's in a genre I normally enjoy and watch it, but with this thread, I don't even do that, so yeah, went into this 100% blind

The first episode seem kinda interesting, I was like "oh shit this is kinda like violet evergarden" and then the next episode was like "oh this is a male oriented romance"

this anime just didn't hit, and honestly I think the fault resides in the actual cast of characters, the main protagonist is just your typical male fantasy romance protagonist, so, just doens't actually have a strong personality or whatever, and it works more as an outlet for you to insert yourself into the show. The female MC is the typical robot girl who isn't good at handling feelings. So yeah, not both of the main characters actually have any sort of real strong personality.

The actual circumstances are interesting tho, they're both of a pretty emotionally intense job, however, I feel this is barely explored, just mainly focusing on the actual day to day of both characters (since they live together). I feel that everything this anime tries there is an anime that does it better.

TBF i'm not the biggest fan of this type of male focused romance (surprisingly, most romance I consume is more female-oriented which is kinda weird since i'm a male myself but idk they just seem to be more interesting and emotional lmao) so my view is a little bit biased because of that

still, I didn't enjoy this anime very much

placed in D tier

-----------

haven't continued danganronpa, may drop it and limit the duration of games, idk
have not started book, i'm lazy

next: Hell Girl
Nuuskamuikkunen
Wonder what would you think about ef - a tale of memories (and sequel, ef - a tale of melodies)
Ymir
Stardew Valley
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

Wonder what would you think about ef - a tale of memories (and sequel, ef - a tale of melodies)
sure

Ymir wrote:

Stardew Valley
denied, I only do games with plot as I said now probably only short hames
Ymir
There is a plot in Stardew Valley, though I haven't played enough to get a grasp of how good it is.

I'm not sure how short the game is, so I'll just request Postal-2 instead.
lostsilver
ooooo
can you do portal 1? only if you want to im not forcing you
Nuuskamuikkunen

Ymir wrote:

There is a plot in Stardew Valley, though I haven't played enough to get a grasp of how good it is.

I'm not sure how short the game is.
70-80 hours to get to year 3.

It's slow paced and half of the story is like developing relationships with the characters.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Ymir wrote:

I'm not sure how short the game is, so I'll just request Postal-2 instead.
no the fuck there isn't, there is like a plot point to explain why are you on a farm and that's it

source: i've played the game
npc_BeaniCraft
OMORI.

it's a REALLY good game.
Reyalp51

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

it's a REALLY good game.
have you played the game?
Farfocele
Did I suggest Celeste? If I didn't I suggest Celeste.
lostsilver

Reyalp51 wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

it's a REALLY good game.
beani has played the game like 3 times
i would know, i've watched
Reyalp51

lostsilver wrote:

Reyalp51 wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

it's a REALLY good game.
beani has played the game like 3 times
i would know, i've watched
ok thank god i thought you guys were one of those kids
Topic Starter
Patatitta

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.
1- i'm saying that I may limit play time, so please read the thread

I actually have played omori, it's one of my favourite games, i've said it in the past, but I have some beef with how some people in the forum perceive omori, so I will also go into that, so please, read this post in full

omori is a psychological horror RPG, focusing more on the psychological aspect than the terror since the game isn't particularly scary. As always, I went blind into this game, even if during the first hour of gameplay or so since I hate horror and they had me to really convince me to play it

the game is made in rpg maker, and while it does have some combat and stuff, that's not at all the point of the game, the combat is nice but you're not playing omori because of the gameplay, you're playing it because of the story, (or in the case of some, the memes...)

the actual plot is pretty emotional, it's about the main protagonist coping with the mental weight of having accidently killed her sister, developing some sort of amnesia and split personality as a result, and the steps the protagonist takes in order to forgive themselves. This is not a comedy game or a chill game by any metric, it's fucking brutal

There are multiple areas in this game, (however I can't get into it without going into severe spoilers) each one having some sort of meaning, the two most important ones are headspace and real life, headspace is the world that sunny has created in his head, and the real life is self explanatory

headspace is supposed to be beautiful and comfy and happy, however, the actual feeling of guilt ends up overcoming sunny, having aspects of reality leak into the dream. The way this is most common is via basil, however there are some other more references. Sunny tries to delete and forget about basil, however, he just cants.

There is also white space, this area is the link between the real world and dreams. Whenever it is sunny in white space they have the option to go deep in their dream or to wake up. To go in the dream is as easy to just go in the door, to wake up, you must kill yourself, you can see this as an analogy of how living in the dream is easier than to even try to change things in real life

further in the game, whenever you actually are about to forgive yourself and erase headspace, white space reacts, by turning into black and then red space. Red space is notorious for having a scene where you kill basil over, and over, and over.

headspace and the real life share multiple characters, however, in headspace they're innocent children, however, in the real life they're older teenagers, each one of them coping with the death of mari (sunny's sister) in different ways

kel just tries to ignore it
aubrey turned to violence
hero tried to ignore the real world by studying and working
and basil is just straight up fucked

in terms of game design. The actual game just understand really well how each scene will affect the player, so it can create a really well done and polished emotional rollercoaster, basically breaking you by the end

---- this is the part I want lostsilver and beanicraft to read ----

SO we've clarified that omori is a fairly complex, very psychological, extremely emotional and pretty dark game. However, if you've been in OT, you may have not realized that since the acutal perception a part of the fanbase seems to have of the game is just totally different, and that just has to do with fandoms and how they can change the game experience for someone

i've called out this exact phenomenon before at least like 4 times, straight up naming people in some of them, however, you guys either have seem to not read it or don't understand it

a cult has formed around omori, the reason why I do not know, but they seem to treat omori as a comedy game. Kel isn't this portrait of someone who tries to put on a facade while he is actually heavily traumatized. But the funny hamburger guy, basil isn't this guy who is about to fucking explode, but this cute little guy who wouldn't hurt anyone :)

(This has to be the single most out of touch interpretation of omori i've seen in my entire life)

It seems like the entire perception of omori by some is just the funny memes. They once saw a funny meme about a character, and now they go into the game with that mentality that this is a funny meme game.

Not only that but the actual community is an echo chamber. Making memes out of the already existing memes, always striding further from the original product and interpretation of the game. The actual perception in the game in that part of the community and the actual games are two completely different beasts. The actual game has been buried under so much crap that it doesn't feel like it matters anymore

fandoms can affect the way you see a piece of media. For example I think shrek is a good example. Would people care as much about shrek if there weren't 400000 memes about it?, probably not, but now it is perceived as this titan of modern culture and animation.

if you go into a game with the mentality that you're going to hate it, the chances that you actually hate it are higher, this applies with any mentality you have, as you're trying to see things that don't exist. This is not wrong by itself, this is just called bias, it's a part of being a human

However, I feel it's important to recognise what biases you have, because when you have a totally distorted view of something and you post about it online, you're just missrepresenting the game. Which will end up keeping people that may actually enjoy the game away from the game just because of that

This often connects to a bigger problem, and that is people not really trying to go outside their bubble, often than not, people just find a single piece of media that they enjoy and they would rather just keep watching that over and over making memes of it than actually venture outside it, I talked about that in this thread

We both may have played omori, but we have not had the same experience. I interpret it as a really dark rpg, and you interpet is as a fandom. Which I will say again, is not bad, but at least be self-aware. Don't misrepresent the game.

I have more to say about fandoms, and for that read my review on undertale yellow, which I also talked about in this thread.

omori is an S rank for me, however, I cant say that I respect the way you guys portray omori. And while it's true that you've played the games, it doesn't even really fucking matter as your perception on it is totally different
Reyalp51
i just read it, already knew what you were going to say since we talked about it b4 so yeah, you know i agree with you on this lmao
npc_BeaniCraft

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.

I actually have played omori, it's one of my favourite games, i've said it in the past, but I have some beef with how some people in the forum perceive omori, so I will also go into that, so please, read this post in full

omori is a psychological horror RPG, focusing more on the psychological aspect than the terror since the game isn't particularly scary. As always, I went blind into this game, even if during the first hour of gameplay or so since I hate horror and they had me to really convince me to play it

the game is made in rpg maker, and while it does have some combat and stuff, that's not at all the point of the game, the combat is nice but you're not playing omori because of the gameplay, you're playing it because of the story, (or in the case of some, the memes...)

the actual plot is pretty emotional, it's about the main protagonist coping with the mental weight of having accidently killed her sister, developing some sort of amnesia and split personality as a result, and the steps the protagonist takes in order to forgive themselves. This is not a comedy game or a chill game by any metric, it's fucking brutal

There are multiple areas in this game, (however I can't get into it without going into severe spoilers) each one having some sort of meaning, the two most important ones are headspace and real life, headspace is the world that sunny has created in his head, and the real life is self explanatory

headspace is supposed to be beautiful and comfy and happy, however, the actual feeling of guilt ends up overcoming sunny, having aspects of reality leak into the dream. The way this is most common is via basil, however there are some other more references. Sunny tries to delete and forget about basil, however, he just cants.

There is also white space, this area is the link between the real world and dreams. Whenever it is sunny in white space they have the option to go deep in their dream or to wake up. To go in the dream is as easy to just go in the door, to wake up, you must kill yourself, you can see this as an analogy of how living in the dream is easier than to even try to change things in real life

further in the game, whenever you actually are about to forgive yourself and erase headspace, white space reacts, by turning into black and then red space. Red space is notorious for having a scene where you kill basil over, and over, and over.

headspace and the real life share multiple characters, however, in headspace they're innocent children, however, in the real life they're older teenagers, each one of them coping with the death of mari (sunny's sister) in different ways

in terms of game design. The actual game just understand really well how each scene will affect the player, so it can create a really well done and polished emotional rollercoaster, basically breaking you by the end

SO we've clarified that omori is a fairly complex, very psychological, extremely emotional and pretty dark game. However, if you've been in OT, you may have not realized that since the acutal perception a part of the fanbase seems to have of the game is just totally different, and that just has to do with fandoms and how they can change the game experience for someone

i've called out this exact phenomenon before at least like 4 times, straight up naming people in some of them, however, you guys either have seem to not read it or don't understand it

a cult has formed around omori, the reason why I do not know, but they seem to treat omori as a comedy game. Kel isn't this portrait of someone who tries to put on a facade while he is actually heavily traumatized. But the funny hamburger guy, basil isn't this guy who is about to fucking explode, but this cute little guy who wouldn't hurt anyone :)

(This has to be the single most out of touch interpretation of omori i've seen in my entire life)

It seems like the entire perception of omori by some is just the funny memes. They once saw a funny meme about a character, and now they go into the game with that mentality that this is a funny meme game.

Not only that but the actual community is an echo chamber. Making memes out of the already existing memes, always striding further from the original product and interpretation of the game. The actual perception in the game in that part of the community and the actual games are two completely different beasts. The actual game has been buried under so much crap that it doesn't feel like it matters anymore

fandoms can affect the way you see a piece of media. For example I think shrek is a good example. Would people care as much about shrek if there weren't 400000 memes about it?, probably not, but now it is perceived as this titan of modern culture and animation.

if you go into a game with the mentality that you're going to hate it, the chances that you actually hate it are higher, this applies with any mentality you have, as you're trying to see things that don't exist. This is not wrong by itself, this is just called bias, it's a part of being a human

However, I feel it's important to recognise what biases you have, because when you have a totally distorted view of something and you post about it online, you're just missrepresenting the game. Which will end up keeping people that may actually enjoy the game away from the game just because of that

This often connects to a bigger problem, and that is people not really trying to go outside their bubble, often than not, people just find a single piece of media that they enjoy and they would rather just keep watching that over and over making memes of it than actually venture outside it, I talked about that in this thread

We both may have played omori, but we have not had the same experience. I interpret it as a really dark rpg, and you interpet is as a fandom. Which I will say again, is not bad, but at least be self-aware. Don't misrepresent the game.

I have more to say about fandoms, and for that read my review on undertale yellow, which I also talked about in this thread.

omori is an S rank for me, however, I cant say that I respect the way you guys portray omori. And while it's true that you've played the games, it doesn't even really fucking matter as your perception on it is totally different
yeah, i can say that i agree with a lot of the stuff you said with the fandom in basically 99% of cases and that the fandom acts all funny and wholesome but it's not great for the whole context of the game. and i most definitely stand by the fact that it is a REALLY good but REALLY dark game.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.

yeah, i can say that i agree with a lot of the stuff you said with the fandom in basically 99% of cases and that the fandom acts all funny and wholesome but it's not great for the whole context of the game. and i most definitely stand by the fact that it is a REALLY good but REALLY dark game.
do you realize i'm grouping you with "the fandom" right
npc_BeaniCraft

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.

yeah i know. ever sense i played it (about 2 months ago, ish.) i knew that the fandom was wrong in a lot of cases with the tone of the game and it's characters.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.

yeah i know. ever sense i played it (about 2 months ago, ish.) i knew that the fandom was wrong in a lot of cases with the tone of the game and it's characters.
so you've been posting about the game for a year, missrepresenting what the game actually was without even having played it?
Reyalp51

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

npc_BeaniCraft wrote:

OMORI.

It's a REALLY good game.

so you've been posting about the game for a year, missrepresenting what the game actually was without even having played it?
show more