forum

Skinning Tutorial

posted
Total Posts
show more
Draycon

RaymanFP wrote:

I'm having a problem with the selection-mode.png file on my skin. I want the resolution for it to be 1366x768, but it always comes out as 1920x1080. I tried editing the file and changing it that way, but it never works. How can I fix that?

There are selection-mode and selection-mode@2x, you need that one without @2x(SD).
TheBrightSoul

G8D wrote:

how to move that score to bottom?

i never thinked this skin hack before but i think you should make the score numbers long vertically like all the screen and if you dont understended it, here a image: https://mega.nz/#!2nxUXQoL!-eJFwHKJyV59dkj_y7NqGjUW8lEXTBXkwkq-vPWCKos
my angel vikala
This tutorial has a lot of useful things for those who wants to begin their own skins! I would say thank you RockRoller for helping me and others too on this tutorial
CandyTwix
skin
Camillie
Hi,
Im like a begginer and writing here to understand really what i am doing, i've read the thread and did not see my answer, but now i know i little better what I am doing.
What I am trying to ask is, why the bottom parts like selection-mode are done in 2286x2000, or 2286x1440, when I play and I see these things in 1920x1080. You can see this in SPLOOSH+X+WHITECAT skin, I've tried to do it by myself and i've done this in 1920x1080 and in random number like 2400x2000 to see if this works, and guess what, of course it didnt. Could you explain?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

Camillie wrote:

Hi,
Im like a begginer and writing here to understand really what i am doing, i've read the thread and did not see my answer, but now i know i little better what I am doing.
What I am trying to ask is, why the bottom parts like selection-mode are done in 2286x2000, or 2286x1440, when I play and I see these things in 1920x1080. You can see this in SPLOOSH+X+WHITECAT skin, I've tried to do it by myself and i've done this in 1920x1080 and in random number like 2400x2000 to see if this works, and guess what, of course it didnt. Could you explain?

What the resolution you play it doesnt really matter for skinning. Osu skinning is based on 1366x768 (twice that for HD files). So if you were to assemble a full song selection in e.g. photoshop you would need it to be 2732 x 1536 for HD. This would include menu-back and selection mode, cut off the leftmost 448 pixels for the menu-back@2x.png and you will be left with selection-mode@2x.png needing to be atleast 2284 pixels wide. If you do not want to mess around with what needs to be how big, you can always just use the song selection template that I should have linked in the tutorial.
hi_forever_body
Hello, How do i uptade my skin inside Osu! Without closing the game

thx for the answer
Topic Starter
RockRoller

hi_forever_body wrote:

Hello, How do i uptade my skin inside Osu! Without closing the game

thx for the answer

Press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + S
ContingencPland
Hello, do you still have the template that is mentioned here in the Top Part section, "There are multiple ways to get around these fringes, but the easiest one would be to just use this top part template that I made for this post. It also has the position of the beatmap info icon on it." When I click on the link it says the puush could not be found.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

RunicImpulse wrote:

Hello, do you still have the template that is mentioned here in the Top Part section?
https://puu.sh/FIH5F/158690bda6.rar

I know that a few images and links in this post are broken, but I am working on replacing them
KonKoniLou
Sorry to bother you but i was wondering how i would edit the selection mode (full)
Like how would i edit it like in photoshop is there a video about it.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

-Aak- wrote:

Sorry to bother you but i was wondering how i would edit the selection mode (full)
What exactly do you mean
KonKoniLou

RockRoller wrote:

-Aak- wrote:

What exactly do you mean
how would i edit the selection. Like do i have to Do it in photoshop and How i would do it.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

-Aak- wrote:

how would i edit the selection. Like do i have to Do it in photoshop and How i would do it.
As I mentioned earlier on in the tutorial, if you want to make your own images you will need an image editor that supports transparency, the best option here would be pdn (free, remember to get the pugins I link in the post) and photoshop (paid).
Sey_
Thanks for all the work you have been doing as of now!

Quick question, but here's some info: I use a 1920x1200 which runs the 16:10 aspect ratio, but most skins that I know only have the 16:9 aspect ratio available with the target resolution being 1920x1080.

Is there a way to reliably convert/edit the pictures/elements such that It'll work for my resolution? I already have photoshop and well the way I tried it really didn't work.

Thank you in advance!
Topic Starter
RockRoller

DerFlux wrote:

Is there a way to reliably convert/edit the pictures/elements such that It'll work for my resolution? I already have photoshop and well the way I tried it really didn't work.

Thank you in advance!
There isnt any way to automatically convert them. You need to move parts of the elements, aka edit the iamges directly. Tho, editing from 16:10 to 16:9 is a lot easier then the other way around. Maybe I should make the part about converting 16:9 to 16:10 skins soon
shac
Sorry to bother, but im new to skinning like most people here and i'm trying to work out how to remove the star particles that are attatched to my cursor when i start a map and also the random particles that shoot out, i wouldn't mind re-skinning them but i just have no clue what the name of that file is or anything, thanks.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

shac wrote:

Sorry to bother, but im new to skinning like most people here and i'm trying to work out how to remove the star particles that are attatched to my cursor when i start a map and also the random particles that shoot out, i wouldn't mind re-skinning them but i just have no clue what the name of that file is or anything, thanks.
star2.png is the file you are looking for
shac

RockRoller wrote:

shac wrote:

star2.png is the file you are looking for
thank you so much been looking for this for days!
Corne2Plum3
The website look good but he's incomplete (are you waiting osu!lazer for add some parts, like the gameplay sections?)

Suggestion
In the site there is no space between the side-navigation at the left and the main content of the page, and it's a little hard to read. You should add in css/main.css these lines in the .main section (~ line 30) :
padding-left: 12px;
padding-right: 12px;
It's for add a space between the side-navigation at the left and the text, it's better to read.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

The website look good but he's incomplete (are you waiting osu!lazer for add some parts, like the gameplay sections?)

Suggestion
In the site there is no space between the side-navigation at the left and the main content of the page, and it's a little hard to read. You should add in css/main.css these lines in the .main section (~ line 30) :
padding-left: 12px;
padding-right: 12px;
It's for add a space between the side-navigation at the left and the text, it's better to read.
No I am not waiting for lazer, if I would be doing that there would be no point in writing this thing in the first place. Its just that writing these tutorials takes a lot of time and I am the only one doing it. Just be glad that there is something.

And yea, I know that the website isn't working perfectly on slim resolutions, what you suggested doesn't fix it at all tho. It will be fixed at some point, just wait for that. If you want to use the site in slim widths you can always make your own userstyle with stylus. Also, padding isnt the way to go here, you would need margin
WukongLord595
Hi, sorry to bother you but how do I change it so when the slider moves it doesn't show up a circle that gets big?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

WukongLord595 wrote:

Hi, sorry to bother you but how do I change it so when the slider moves it doesn't show up a circle that gets big?
blank out slider-followcircle
XaLERIK
Hey hello guys. Im starting to create my first skin and wanna remove this white outline border on buttons .
This appears when you hover over the button.
Also it appears for some elements like "Miss" image

(but image does'nt have this border actualy) Maybe I don’t know something (Im noob at osu skinning actually)? I took the Luisina's skin for BeasttrollMC (btmc - Noel Sora no method) as a basis for my skin (maybe is't matter? But i tried to make skin from scratch and this outline is still on they place. Thanks in advance for reply.
Redo_

XaLERIK wrote:

Hey hello guys. Im starting to create my first skin and wanna remove this white outline border on buttons
When You're saving your asset don't do File > Save As, but use File > Export As > PNG instead. This should get rid of your problem.
McEndu
What is the suggested SD size for line-style follow points?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

McEndu wrote:

256px HD, but that is the canvas, for the length of the actual line please just refer to other skins.
McEndu

RockRoller wrote:

McEndu wrote:

256px HD, but that is the canvas, for the length of the actual line please just refer to other skins.
I think stuff related to line-style follow points are good for the guide section?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

McEndu wrote:

RockRoller wrote:

McEndu wrote:

I think stuff related to line-style follow points are good for the guide section?
Or rather in the tutorial directly. Just haven't written that part yet. There is just so much to write
remclean
How do you make a metre instead of a approach circle on the spinners? I have seen it before so I know you can. I am new to skinning, please help me.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

remclean wrote:

How do you make a meter instead of a approach circle on the spinners? I have seen it before so I know you can. I am new to skinning, please help me.
Use the old spinner style and not the new one
remclean

RockRoller wrote:

remclean wrote:

How do you make a meter instead of a approach circle on the spinners? I have seen it before so I know you can. I am new to skinning, please help me.
Use the old spinner style and not the new one
I don't know how to do that. I only started skinning 2 days ago.
Topic Starter
RockRoller
you need to use spinner-background, that enables the old spinner style, then you can use the elements of the old spinner style which includes the metre

Just check this spreadhseet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bhnV-CQRMy3Z0npQd9XSoTdkYxz0ew5e648S00qkJZ8/edit#gid=2074725196
SLFY
Thanks for skinning guidance! Do you know if ranking-replay.png is still skinnable or has been renamed to something else? Mine has reverted to the default "Watch Replay" button while my "Retry" is still properly skinned.

Edit: It works when I put the image into a different skin and use it. I have a feeling something in my skin.ini is preventing it (?) but I can't seem to find anything relating to ranking screen at all in there.

Edit2: Turns out it works when I switch my skin version from 2.4. to 1. Unsure why the only thing that's affected is the ranking-replay.png though, since the ranking-retry worked in 2.4
Topic Starter
RockRoller

SLFY wrote:

Thanks for skinning guidance! Do you know if ranking-replay.png is still skinnable or has been renamed to something else? Mine has reverted to the default "Watch Replay" button while my "Retry" is still properly skinned.

Edit: It works when I put the image into a different skin and use it. I have a feeling something in my skin.ini is preventing it (?) but I can't seem to find anything relating to ranking screen at all in there.

Edit2: Turns out it works when I switch my skin version from 2.4. to 1. Unsure why the only thing that's affected is the ranking-replay.png though, since the ranking-retry worked in 2.4

rankin-retry recently got reenabled across all versions, for V2 skinning you need pause-replay for the replay button
remclean
I never found out how to use a spin metre but I found something else I like and will be using. Thanks for the help anyway RockRoller.
St1ck-
Idk if this reported, but skin testing beatmap has been deleted or smth, so the link on the site doesn't lead anywhere.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

St1ck- wrote:

Idk if this reported, but skin testing beatmap has been deleted or smth, so the link on the site doesn't lead anywhere.
well aware of that and planning to make my own soon
DzulNotFound
hi,i'm still new in skinning,my question is how to get sound effect for every button like play,setting,and quit,and quit sound (sry for rip english)
Topic Starter
RockRoller

DzulNotFound wrote:

hi,i'm still new in skinning,my question is how to get sound effect for every button like play,setting,and quit,and quit sound (sry for rip english)
You have to set them all. Here is a list containing all sound files:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bhnV-CQRMy3Z0npQd9XSoTdkYxz0ew5e648S00qkJZ8/edit#gid=1820685604
show more