forum

What is your opinion on the new forum design?

posted
Total Posts
171
show more
Railey2

peppy wrote:

how is remembering a page number different from remembering a post number?
fewer digits with page numbers
I Give Up
i like forum :D
Sey
It's okay but I favour the current looks, as they are cleaner and better structured (for now). The design itself is not my preference.
A Medic
Another thing that I've recently notice is that sometimes it will double post by itself.
It's been happening to me quite a bit this morning.
1Conan
[deleted]
Endaris
I think we need a small tutorial on how to use the new forum.
Infinite scrolling seems to be an unknown/unintuitive concept for most people. Can't say that I would miss pages that much either though @Halogen and I've spent a big amount of my time online in forums for the past years. I think it works just as well and it doesn't even compare to shittyness of redditstyle they used for the LoL-forums

As for the small arrows on the post number it would probably be the easiest if you removed the one pointing to the threadstart and make the one pointing to the end bigger. No clue how you can make this goodlooking while keeping the circle-shape but for usability this would be very good I think.
As for the top-bar, I think it would be best if it grew larger on hovering over it so you have an easier time clicking on the navigation links.

And smileys seem to be a bit too small/misplaced compared to the text as their lower edge is way below the baseline of text but don't get to the topline of it either. :o
Compa
The design is great but it'd be better if it was scaled to the size of the browser window
Top Bunk
I feel like half the people here are only complaining just to complain. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the design, imo. The only valid issues I've seen so far is with the large amount of white space and how narrow the forums are.

With the former, white space is just plain ugly and that can unanimously be agreed upon. However, proper spacing is still important (which the old design lacks and causes everything to be too bunched up).
With the latter, that's mostly just a matter of opinion. There's nothing wrong with a narrow design in principle, but the thing that bothers me most with it is when posts in a thread get even more narrow after the OP. That doesn't really make much of any sense to me as a design aspect, as there are much better ways of distinguishing an OP.

As far as pagination goes, there's nothing wrong with it. If people know what page to look for, then they should also know the approximate post number to look for. Post # = Page # x Posts-per-Page.
However, I will say that having the current post number be clickable doesn't make much sense. In fact, it might be better to make it so you can use that "current post" number space to type in the number for the search, instead of having to click the search icon to type it in. One less icon to worry about then, and better convenience.

Aside from those things, I find the design itself to be beautiful overall, and I'm sure it will only continue to improve. Functionality will be added later and it's not even worth commenting on yet until it's actually implemented.
And I still don't get why people are complaining over the test domain name. Who even gives a jizz about a temporary name.
CXu

Endaris wrote:

I think we need a small tutorial on how to use the new forum.
Infinite scrolling seems to be an unknown/unintuitive concept for most people. Can't say that I would miss pages that much either though @Halogen and I've spent a big amount of my time online in forums for the past years. I think it works just as well and it doesn't even compare to shittyness of redditstyle they used for the LoL-forums

As for the small arrows on the post number it would probably be the easiest if you removed the one pointing to the threadstart and make the one pointing to the end bigger. No clue how you can make this goodlooking while keeping the circle-shape but for usability this would be very good I think.
As for the top-bar, I think it would be best if it grew larger on hovering over it so you have an easier time clicking on the navigation links.

And smileys seem to be a bit too small/misplaced compared to the text as their lower edge is way below the baseline of text but don't get to the topline of it either. :o
You kind of have a problem if you think you need a tutorial though. The design should be as intuitive as possible, meaning anyone should be able to figure it out.

It's not so much that autoscrolling is a foreign concept moreso than it just being something I don't enjoy using all the time. In some cases, I find it useful, while in other cases it's just really annoying to not have pages. Autoscrolling has been around for a while now on the internet, so I'm sure most people that don't like it have had enough time to "get used to it", and still don't enjoy using it.

@Top Bunk: Most people will "complain" or give critisism, since that's what's generally helpful and a reason to post in the first place. Saying "Omg this looks great!!!" doesn't really help getting things better. In general, if people don't mention something, you can assume they thought that was fine, and works well as it is.
Endaris
Actually I never encountered infinitescrolling on a site I'm actually using before so I'm not used to it and since I consider myself to be an experienced internet user I just assumed that a lot of people would feel the same.
The first time I tried to get out of a long thread I scrolled to the top and tried to be faster in clicking the header than the page would load the next posts I scrolled to so you can see where I am coming from.
It took me 2min to figure everything out so you may or may not say that it is intuitive but the stuff I pointed out certainly hinders intuitive use.
Pages are more intuitive in the way that everyone knows how to read a book and has an immediate guess when being in a thread for the first time and seeing pages. Infinite scrolling isn't a thing you know from RL though, mainly from smartphones(and im not a smartphone user) so it is naturally harder to operate when encountering it for the first time - which is why a tutorial might not be a bad thing.
Once you got it, it is very intuitive as everything makes sense in itself but you will inevitably get undesired results if you try to use it like a conventional forum.

Why is pewdiepie not on jizz?
Top Bunk

CXu wrote:

@Top Bunk: Most people will "complain" or give critisism, since that's what's generally helpful and a reason to post in the first place. Saying "Omg this looks great!!!" doesn't really help getting things better. In general, if people don't mention something, you can assume they thought that was fine, and works well as it is.
The problem here is that it's mostly complaining with lack of proper constructive criticism. I'm not saying all the posts are like that, but a majority of them are (even the longer posts which pretend like they go into detail when it's really just pointing more directly at what they're complaining about). At the very least people should say why they dislike something and what can be done to further fix/improve it. Especially considering the new site design will be implemented regardless of the people who dislike it. So instead of those complaining without a basis, they should at least attempt to make reasonable suggestions.

Also, let's not forget important things here. 1) Peppy gets the final say in the direction everything goes in. 2) You can't please everybody, so people will be forced to settle on compromises and deal with things they're not satisfied with either way.
Raiken-
The design and layout looks nice but the "Scroll up for the previous 10 posts" thing is just weird and annoying tbh.
Yuudachi-kun

Top Bunk wrote:

CXu wrote:

@Top Bunk: Most people will "complain" or give critisism, since that's what's generally helpful and a reason to post in the first place. Saying "Omg this looks great!!!" doesn't really help getting things better. In general, if people don't mention something, you can assume they thought that was fine, and works well as it is.
The problem here is that it's mostly complaining with lack of proper constructive criticism. I'm not saying all the posts are like that, but a majority of them are (even the longer posts which pretend like they go into detail when it's really just pointing more directly at what they're complaining about). At the very least people should say why they dislike something and what can be done to further fix/improve it. Especially considering the new site design will be implemented regardless of the people who dislike it. So instead of those complaining without a basis, they should at least attempt to make reasonable suggestions.

Also, let's not forget important things here. 1) Peppy gets the final say in the direction everything goes in. 2) You can't please everybody, so people will be forced to settle on compromises and deal with things they're not satisfied with either way.
Actually we know full well that this thread is a farce that doesn't matter because Peppy will do what he wants to regardless of what anyone and everyone thinks because fuck you that's why.
DahplA

Raiken- wrote:

The design and layout looks nice but the "Scroll up for the previous 10 posts" thing is just weird and annoying tbh.
Yeah, pages works way better. Also, where's "View your posts"? :c
Top Bunk

Khelly wrote:

Actually we know full well that this thread is a farce that doesn't matter because Peppy will do what he wants to regardless of what anyone and everyone thinks because fuck you that's why.
Good point :v
Jieshengwoo
imo the design is beautiful but just need needs more work on the feature
anyway is the forum will be called jizz forever?
JMC

Jieshengwoo wrote:

imo the design is beautiful but just need needs more work on the feature
anyway is the forum will be called jizz forever?
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

peppy wrote:

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).
read previous post
Care
I like this, the old design is confusing for new peoples.
Jieshengwoo

JMC wrote:

Jieshengwoo wrote:

imo the design is beautiful but just need needs more work on the feature
anyway is the forum will be called jizz forever?
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

peppy wrote:

It's called jizz because I chose that for the testing subdomain. It's a WIP and will eventually replace the original site (and no longer be fjizz?).
read previous post
oops sorry!! my wrong, really sorry o(╥﹏╥)o
Twilight Randomizer
It looks pretty nice. I can't exactly put it up for comparison right now (502 MB RAM on a school PC, wha), but whoever did the design has done a great job.
peppy
Just as an update, we are now loading image dimensions before images are displayed. This means that scrolling upwards in a thread should feel much more natural, and overall performance should also have improved.

You'll also notice that this means we could remove the "expanding post" logic, improving the experience further.
Nakano Itsuki
Mentioning something I posted in the wrong forum a day ago...

The design is great, plus I love the color scheme of it. (And it being bigger to view ofc, especially on phones)

Only two things I don't really like is the pagination removed and the wasted space, as mentioned by other people.
For beatmappers in particular, clicking to a particular page helps to see mod posts more conveniently imo (also I doubt people can really remember that much post numbers lol... Especially for those who frequent the forum such as the requests section)

Others are really good imo. Dunno if it is feasible, maybe an option could be included in user settings to allow switching between infinite scrolling and pagination.

Just my 2 cents after being a lurker of other forum software, as 90% tend to use pagination anyway
Thievley
It's way different. In a good way though. I love the design.
It will take some getting used to of course, being so different and all, but other than that I think it's great!
Entis_old_1
There is a chance that final version can be good, but now I'm really sad.

Only thing I really want is an option to choose between new/old forum style, since I'm satisfied with old one most of all. This new one is too... modern for me personally. I like old paging and old spoilerboxes way more, because it was easier to press them as a pagewide link/hovering, not like it is now.

Hope for keeping both styles to make everyone happy.
Top Bunk

Ruineko wrote:

There is a chance that final version can be good, but now I'm really sad.

Only thing I really want is an option to choose between new/old forum style, since I'm satisfied with old one most of all. This new one is too... modern for me personally. I like old paging and old spoilerboxes way more, because it was easier to press them as a pagewide link/hovering, not like it is now.

Hope for keeping both styles to make everyone happy.
Given how this current design and the new design are using different software (iirc), I highly doubt there will be an option to choose one or the other.

Change is often a necessity, so for those that can't adjust to it, then oh well. Deal with it.
Topic Starter
efdu_DELETED

CXu wrote:

Since there's a thread. One thing that's been kinda bothering me both on the old forums and the new ones, is that you don't really scale it with the browser window:

Is there any particular reason you don't prefer more automatic scaling? It looks kinda silly to me with that long pink bar at the top, but then only half the space is actually being used.

Also, I'm also one of those people that prefer to have pagination. Having autoscrolling is fine, but I'd like there to be both tbh, since there are cases where one or the other is more intuitive or preferable.



I thought the circle/wheel was something you could click on to scroll through posts quickly, but instead clicking on the upper or lower half of it (probably the arrows) just takes me to the top or bottom, which I didn't find that intuitive. And what's the purpose of clicking on the page number? For now it seems like it just goes down a few posts or something, but I think clicking into a textfield where you can put in a page number would be more intuitive than having the page jump thing inside the search button.


And the quote thing is nice, but I think you need a dismiss/discard button, and make it a bit clearer that the button is for quoting.

Well, you're probably aware of some of this already, so eh.
En nordmann :D
digitaku
Well, I'm quite satisfied with the design (I usually make simple typography design for my desktop wallpaper)
oh, and I really like the triangle(s) btw, it give me an energetic feeling
just one flaw, it has so many empty space in here, ex: like the header design at forum front page
suggestion:
maybe you can add another menubar on both sides of the empty space ;)

but overall is good :D
Pittigbaasje
I really like the design but 2 things which dissappoint me:

1) You need to scroll down to the very bottom to reply to a post? Makes it kinda weird when a post has 100 replies like this one.

2) You can't click on the timestamps when you get a mod (I hope this isn't intentional)
A Medic
There is a button that allows you to scroll to the bottom of the page instantly.
Trost
The Lord has spoken
Ikarugamesh
I have tried the new forum on my Android tablet. It works well on the default, stock browser, simply dubbed "Browser". However, I also have tried it in Chrome (on my Android tablet, too) and the reply box doesn't appear, only a button which says "Load more". Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me?
peppy

Ikarugamesh wrote:

I have tried the new forum on my Android tablet. It works well on the default, stock browser, simply dubbed "Browser". However, I also have tried it in Chrome (on my Android tablet, too) and the reply box doesn't appear, only a button which says "Load more". Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me?
Do you happen to have javascript disabled?
peppy

Pittigbaasje wrote:

I really like the design but 2 things which dissappoint me:
1) You need to scroll down to the very bottom to reply to a post? Makes it kinda weird when a post has 100 replies like this one.
You could also click the reply button on the post you are currently reading (to the right) and then delete the quoted post content if you don't need it.

Pittigbaasje wrote:

2) You can't click on the timestamps when you get a mod (I hope this isn't intentional)
This will be implemented at a later point.
Maxela
In my opinion the design is better but funtions are less.
Yuudachi-kun
Something about user-friendliness.
Nadfee
It gives me a more of a chilly feeling with the bright colors on the top of the page but the sides are white (gray) and is disturbing when you read forum posts (as the topic post color is also white). I like the new layout but this is the only thing I've found annoying. It'd be nice if you could change the color of the side of the page from white (gray) to something slightly darker so the eyes can concentrate on the topic board instead.
rabu retaa
i couldn't see the other achievement that i already did

flash
why are we neglecting the reason books were invented
Ikarugamesh

peppy wrote:

Ikarugamesh wrote:

I have tried the new forum on my Android tablet. It works well on the default, stock browser, simply dubbed "Browser". However, I also have tried it in Chrome (on my Android tablet, too) and the reply box doesn't appear, only a button which says "Load more". Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me?
Do you happen to have javascript disabled?
It was enabled all this time. Nevermind, it seems that problem is fixed now. Thanks.
peppy
We made some changes to page navigation!
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply