forum

Album review thread [art vs the artist]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
TLDR: Give album recommendations and I'll listen to and share my thoughts on it. It'll probably take a while for me to get to your album though.

Albums listened to: 30

Total things listened to: 34

Music is always something I've been keen about, but I've never really gotten into listening to it outside of brief spurts. I've always wanted to really explore music, and this thread is my way of doing this.

Basically what'll happen is every day I'll pick an album to sit down and listen to. After doing so, I'll write some of my thoughts and give it a rating out of 10 based on how much I enjoyed it (not necessarily based on how good I thought it was, this is pretty much fully based on my personal taste in music). I probably won't be able to do this literally every day, so yeah I'll skip days here and there. I don't even really want to listen to music if I know I'm in a state where I don't want to listen to it because I feel like it'll lessen the experience (if that makes sense) so there'll probably be lots of days where I don't listen to an album because I just don't feel like it. Maybe an album a day is just too much for me because I am horrible with anything involving habits or duties or executive function, and this thread evolves into an album every once in a while.

My personal rating scale
10 - My top 10 favourite albums.
9 - It was considered as a 10/10 but unfortunately it is not.
8 - One of my favourites, I want to listen to it again and again, but definitely not a 10/10 nor a 9/10. I'm still very interested in checking out the rest of the artist's discography.
7 - It was very epic and I liked the whole album, but not as much as a 8/10. I also don't feel like checking out the rest of the artist's discography, but I wouldn't be against it.
6 - It was kinda epic, but I didn't like it as much as an 7/10.
5 - It was cool I guess, still enjoyed it. I would be against checking out the rest of the artist's discography though.
4 - It was forgettable and left no impression but I ultimately still kinda enjoyed it.
3 - It left a slightly sour taste in my mouth.
2 - I have a straight up negative impression of this.
1 - My top 5 least favourite albums.

This thread will serve as a record of all the albums I've listened to and also a record of my journey.

However, I hope this thread can be a thread not just for me, but for the people reading this as well, and become a place where we can share and talk about our music interests, as well as discover new music.

For the albums I will listen to, I am open to all suggestions. Any album that you list here I will add to the list below so I can listen to them in the future. I will also be listening to a lot of albums that I've discovered myself, as well as go through a bunch of albums I've listened to in the past to give them their due diligence. At this point in time, I am listening to an album recommended here every other day, moving my way down the list.

Suggestions from this thread
Gorillaz- Gorillaz
SECONDWALL - Beautiful Lie
william basinski - melancholia
xanopticon - liminal space
autechre - confield
Melt Your Eyez See Your Future by Denzel Curry
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
hello kitty scrapbook - milk in the microwave!
“Music has the Right to Children” by Boards of Canada
JPEGMAFIA - I LAY DOWN MY LIFE FOR YOU (FULL ALBUM)
the brat album
inabakumori - ANTICYCLONE
Eminiem - The Death of Slim Shady
Lupe Fiasco's Samurai
metallica's self titled album
paranore's riot! album
Synthion - Fairy Tale
kessoku band - kessoku band
celeste ost
you get what you give - zac brown band
wac - ongaku
Preacher’s Daughter - Ethel Cain
IOSYS - ワァオ! ハイパー電波チャン
xi - parousia
50 Cent - The Massacre
Stranger - Yung Lean
Magma - Kobaïa
goreshit - semantic composition on death and its meaning
Denzel Curry - King of the Mischievous South Vol. 2 (I might reject this depending on how much I liked the other Denzel Curry album)
Taylor Swift - Speak Now (Taylor's Version)
Chevy & HOYO-MiX - Inside EP
Kobaryo feat. Matatabi Sound System + Friends - HiTNEX ViRTUAL SHiFTERZ
Taylor swift first album ("Taylor swift" or something)
Linkin Park - Meteora, Minutes to Midnight
Dream and Reality by TUMENECO
hypochondriac - brakence
The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Fieh's III
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (the song, not the album)
pearl jam - ten
Frederic Chopin "Etude op. 25"
Porter Robinson "Nurture" album

On what counts as an album for this thread and what things I want to avoid
First, I'm going to define an album as a piece of music or a series of pieces of music which has been published in some proper/official capacity, either physically (eg. as a disc) or on a streaming service (eg. youtube/spotify), and is titled and packaged as such. Another indicator if something is an album or not is if it has a square album cover.

For the length, I'm gonna say album has to have at least 5 tracks and be at least 15 minutes long, or be at least 30 minutes long with no track requirement. According to Wikipedia this is how The Recording Company defines album length for the Grammy Awards, but the link to the source is dead so idk. I like this arbitrary definition though, so I'm going to say anything less then this is definitively not an album.

Next, I'm going to set some soft rules for what I count as an album for the purposes of this thread.

First, I want to avoid any albums which are not recorded/published by the original composer of the music. Most notably, this would include most of classical music, because the guys that composed this stuff lived a billion years ago and died before they had access to the ability to record albums. This is because I don't want to rate 2 albums which are basically the same but different recordings, and especially with classical music where there's a billion albums with the same pieces on them, it feels wrong to just rank one of them in isolation and ignore the rest, and I'd rather give my thoughts about the piece itself, and not the specific performance of the piece.

Next, I want to avoid anything that's referred to as an EP. Even those these are technically albums according to my definitions, these usually less notable than "proper" albums, so I don't really want to listen to them for this thread. I'd rather stick to the stuff labelled and packaged as albums, because at the end of the day I can only listen to so many albums so I want to stick with the best and most notable ones.

Next, I want to avoid compilation albums and remix albums. Again, mostly because of the thing where I don't want to re-rate the same music, I'd rather just stick with the original versions of things.

If the album has a remastered version, I'm gonna count the remastered version and the original version as the same thing.

Same thing with deluxe or extended versions, I'll count them as the same thing as the original version, but the one I'll listen to will just be the one I find more accessible.

All of these soft rules can have exceptions. Especially with EPs, that's gonna be a super loose rule, it's mostly just so when I want to go through an artist's discography I don't feel the need to listen to every EP an artist has released and go over them in this thread. I'll probably just listen to them outside of this thread in a more casual manner, and maybe if I find something really noteworthy I'll talk about it here. Feel free to suggest any EPs and I'll listen to them.

Outside of that, if you want to suggest an album that falls into any of the other categories I've mentioned, feel free to do so. I'll probably still listen to it and give my thoughts and a rating, but I won't count it as an album. I'm especially interested in longform classical music, so those types of recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, I don't really want to listen to albums from artists that I've already listened to in this thread who I didn't enjoy that much (like if their album is a 7/10 or lower for me). Again, this is because I can only listen to so many albums. If you suggest an album from an artist I didn't particularly enjoy, then you should also give a good reason alongside your recommendation for why this album is worth listening to even though I didn't enjoy their other album much, or I'll probably reject it.

One last last thing, for soundtracks, I'll count them as albums if they meet the criteria in the first paragraph of this section.

Damn this section is long lmao

Here's the list of all the albums I've listened to so far:

Note 1: The order within each rating tier is just the order I listened to them in.

Note 2: The rating system was shifted around a lot in the past and will likely continue be shifted around, so what rating I gave an album when I listened to it might not match up with what I have it as currently. If so, the rating in the main post is the actual current rating, and the rating in the post about the album is the rating I gave it at the time. I will make a note of any significant opinion changes which change an album's rating on the post of the album though.

10/10
Parannoul - After the Magic (Shoegaze, South Korean, 2023)
Radiohead - OK Computer (Alt-Rock, British, 1997)
wowaka - Unhappy Refrain (J-Rock, Vocaloid, Japanese, 2011)
Lamp - ゆめ (Yume) (Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2014)
samlrc - A Lonely Sinner (Post-Rock, Brazilian, 2024)

8/10
Parannoul - To See the Next Part of the Dream (Shoegaze, South Korean, 2021)
C418 - Minecraft - Volume Alpha (Ambient, Videogame Soundtrack, German, 2011)
moff-P - High Collar Record (Shoegaze, J-Rock, Vocaloid, Japanese, 2012)
Camellia - U.U.F.O. (Hardcore, Japanese, 2021)
Lamp - 恋​人​へ (For Lovers) (Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2004)
Various Artists - Mikgazer vol.1 (Shoegaze, Vocaloid, Japanese, 2012)
ZUTOMAYO - Hisohiso Banashi (J-Pop, Yakousei, Japanese, 2019)
Lamp - Genso (Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2008)

7/10
MALIKLIYA - 誄:Condolence (Prog Metal, Japanese, 2019)
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City (Rap, American, 2012)
Braden Ross - Digilogue (Glitch Pop, American, 2023)
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (Industrial Rock, American, 2007)
Snail's House - Ordinary Songs (Future Bass, Japanese, 2016)

5/10
Taylor Swift - 1989 (Deluxe) (Synth-Pop, American, 2014)
Green Day - American Idiot (Punk Rock, American, 2004)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey (Grunge, Alt-Rock, British, 1993)

4/10
Three Days Grace - One-X (Alt-Metal, Canadian, 2006)
Stray Kids - 5-Star (K-Pop, South Korean, 2023)
Stephen Sondheim - Company (2018 London Cast Recording) (Musical, American, 2019)

3/10
9mice - ASPHALT (Russian Hip-Hop, Russian, 2023)

2/10
none lol

1/10
none lol

I'm also going to list my favourite from each category (Because I've barely started this isn't very interesting, but hopefully as I listen to more albums then this will become interesting)

Years
none lol
none lol
none lol
Massive Attack - Mezzanine (Trip-Hop, British, 1998)
none lol
none lol
none lol
none lol
none lol
Lamp - 恋​人​へ (For Lovers) (Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2004)
none lol
Lamp - Genso (Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2008)
none lol
none lol
Various Artists - Mikgazer vol.1 (Shoegaze, Vocaloid, Japanese, 2012)
none lol
none lol
none lol
The Weeknd - After Hours (R&B, American, 2020)[/i
Camellia - U.U.F.O. [i](Hardcore, Japanese, 2021)
none lol

Genres
Alt-Rock
Alt-Metal
Ambient
Future Bass
Glitch Pop
Braden Ross - Digilogue (Glitch Pop, American, 2023)
Grunge
Hardcore
Camellia - U.U.F.O. (Hardcore, Japanese, 2021)
Industrial Rock
J-Pop
J-Rock
K-Pop
Stray Kids - 5-Star (K-Pop, South Korean, 2023)
Post-Rock
Prog Metal
MALIKLIYA - 誄:Condolence (Prog Metal, Japanese, 2019)
Punk Rock
Green Day - American Idiot (Punk Rock, American, 2004)
R&B
The Weeknd - After Hours (R&B, American, 2020)
Russian Hip-Hop
Shibuya-Kei
Shoegaze
Synth-Pop
Taylor Swift - 1989 (Deluxe) (Synth-Pop, American, 2014)
Trip-Hop
Massive Attack - Mezzanine (Trip-Hop, British, 1998)
Videogame Soundtrack
Vocaloid
Yakousei

Countries
Brazil
Canada
Germany
Japan
Russia
South Korea
United Kingdom

Finally, a section for anything I've listened to that I'm not counting as an album.

Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
4th July 2024 (fuck it hasn't been 24 hours since my last thread)

Parannoul - After the Magic
Shoegaze, South Korean, 2023

I've been quite a big fan of shoegaze despite barely listening to any of it. Yet, this artist has found itself on my radar, through a random youtube recommendation.

I liked this album compared to Parannoul's previous album (which I have not covered in this thread but I will one day). While their previous album felt like more straightforward shoegaze, this album really feels like Parannoul is coming into their own, with a sound that is not shoegaze, but Parannoul. A lot of this was to do with the more expansive range of instrumentation, and the songs which felt more fresh and creative. Outside of the 3rd song 도착 (Arrival) which sounded a bit awkward there wasn't any real lul in the album, which is something I can't say about their previous album.

I listened to Parannoul's previous album, To See the Next Part of the Dream, a lot while I was in Korea, during the winter. I remember taking long walks through the cold streets and parks, watching people walk by and live their lives, while bathing in the sounds of the music. I think it defined a lot of my experience while I was there, and the reason I bring this up is that this album also touches me in a similar way, and brings back the memories and feelings of those walks.

Adding to this, I found myself connecting to some of the lyrics, especially the during the explosion in Parade at 25:52, because that's literally just me walking around Korea lol. I think that this album is really cool in the way it's something in the present that feels so relevant to me personally, something I don't think I could've had with this album had it come out at a different time or I had listened to it sometime in the future. The introspection about growing up, especially as someone who is not a kid anymore but an adult, is something that I've experienced (and I'm guessing not just me lol), which I found is beautifully expressed in this album.

Though I will say I didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics, I had my eyes closed while listening to a lot of this, and I barely ever take much stock of lyrics when I listen to music anyway. Also the whole thing about dreams and stuff I didn't really care about. Also they mentioned "tunnels" several times, dunno what that's about, but I kinda wanted to mention it.

(Note from the future: The rating was changed to an 8/10 but the rhetoric behind the rating still stands because the 9/10 rating was kinda shifted to 8/10)

Overall I think I'll put this as a 9/10. I feel like according to my rating scale this should be 10/10 because it's technically one of my top 10 favourite albums I've rated so far, but I do know at least one album which is a 10/10 for me, and I think that and this are on different levels for me. Who knows, maybe the nostalgia plus a future perspective bumps this up to a 10/10 later, or maybe it gets bumped down to 8/10 because I find albums that I like even more.

9/10

(Note from the future: I listened to it a bit more and it's really grown on me, it's now a 10/10)

This is a very unsmooth transition but I also want to reflect a bit about the process of writing this entry. I feel like I wrote a lot because I had quite a lot to say, and if I'm going to be doing this every day I don't really want to be writing essays for every album I listen to. Maybe this is actually pretty brief for an album review type of thing, idk. I also know that it's pretty common to rate and talk about individual songs, but I'm probably not gonna bother going that far unless I want to point out particular songs for whatever reason, like how I pointed out 도착 (Arrival) was my least favourite. However, maybe I'll make an effort to point out my favourite song/s. For this album I wasn't really thinking about what my favourite song was, so I can't say it with conviction. However, I'd say it was Parade, but it's 100% gonna change once I listen to these songs more and get a real feel for them.
MaxIsABigKaiju
Lol imagine your first review being 0/10

I put in Radiohead-Ok Computer
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

Lol imagine your first review being 0/10

I put in Radiohead-Ok Computer
I'll need to have a reaction so bad that I get hospitalised for me to put something as 0/10 lol
Karmine
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Winnyace
To Pimp a Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
lostsilver
do american idiot - green day and one-x - three days grace, please!
if you don't do both, then just to american idiot - green day <33
fluffpup
honestly, I want to know your opinion on

Small Steps, Heavy Hooves by Dear and the Headlights
Yoisaki Kanade
Moff-p - High Collar Record
Corne2Plum3
Camellia UUFO
Polyspora
Patatitta
I hope you can keep this thread alive
Kobold84
MALIKLIYA - 誄:Condolence
I AM VERY SMART
This thread will probably die, but here's my album

After Hours by The Weeknd
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
5th July 2024

Radiohead - OK Computer
Alt-Rock, British, 1997

(This is just the first track, I don't want to link non-official uploads here. This is the link to the playlist I listened to.)

I've never really listened to Radiohead, but I've always thought that I would really like them if I ever did. And uh yeah this album was fucking incredible holy shit.

I feel like it's pretty rare for me to come across an album where each track doesn't blend together into one amorphous blob with maybe a few standouts, while also having all the tracks mesh with each other into a holistic experience, but this was one of these albums. Somehow every track felt new and fresh and distinct, while still feeling "connected" with each other (there's a better word, but I can't think of it), and part of the same wider experience. One thing that probably helped with this was the fact that I looked up the lyrics for each track and read along, which probably made me more focussed.

In fact, it's crazy how fresh an album from 1997 sounds. The sounds and melodies Radiohead are able to create are just feel timeless. One thing that does feel dated are the lyrics for some of the songs, and I feel like this created a really cool effect of transporting the listener to that time and making it feel modern.

Again, there wasn't really a dull moment (outside of maybe Electioneering, wasn't the biggest fan of that song). I usually find that when I listen to an album I'll lose focus while doing so, and maybe go on reddit or something, and suddenly I've passed a portion of a song which I didn't pay attention to. But this album was kind of the opposite, the longer I listened to it the more enthralled I was. In fact, after the latter end of Climbing Up the Walls, I felt this emotion, which lasted throughout the rest of the album. You know, the emotion that you feel just as an emotion, even though you can't really name what it is. Maybe this was a feeling of catharsis? Idk, but it was an emotional experience.

My favourite tracks were probably Paranoid Android and No Surprises. No Surprises was the one Radiohead songs I knew of before listening to this album, and that probably helped me in liking the song more. I'm not sure if this is what other people experience, but I find that often I have to listen to something multiple times to really come to like it or feel a strong way about it, and because of this I'm not even sure if I should be rating the new albums I listen to without listening to the songs more than once because it might not be representative of how I feel about the songs in the future. But I like rating things so imma keep going.

I also wanted to point out the track Fitter Happier. I don't think you can call this track a song, at least not in a conventional sense. It's definitely not something you'd listen to outside of this album. However, in this album, it fits perfectly. Smack bang in the middle to maybe grab your attention if you've been lulling off, with it carrying the emotions and ideas of the album. The way it's not really a song but just a robot voice talking over a backing track is a perfect way to portray the feeling of an emotionless society while still keeping all the emotions of the album. I love stuff like this, it really feels like something that helps take an album from just a collection of songs to a holistic piece of art.

So yeah expect more Radiohead albums here in the future. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a fan.

9/10
[ Rynn ]
5 star by stray kids
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
6th July 2024

wowaka - Unhappy Refrain
J-Rock, Vocaloid, Japanese, 2011

(Don't think wowaka ever officially released all these songs on youtube, so this is an unofficial upload)

OMG HATSUNE MIKU OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay now that I have your attention we can talk about this amazing album.

This is the first album here where it's not my first time listening. I'm pretty sure I was made aware of this album through some random online comment which mentioned this together with Mikgazer, which piqued my interest. Unlike the other albums I've talked about, I've actually had the chance to become familiar with this one. However, the first time I listened to this was pretty recently, so I can still talk about the first impressions that I remember.

I think the thing that struck me most about this album is how it immediately felt like a "classic" of sorts. Like a sort of precursor, or something that is the foundation of everything else. I'm not sure how true this is because I'm not that knowledgeable, but what I can say was that that is the overwhelming impression this album gives.

First thing, it was crazy how many songs I recognised from osu. And I realised that most of the songs I recognised from osu were slightly different versions. Assuming that this album is entirely original, it means that wowaka has actually unknowingly defined a lot of my osu experience, indirectly through different versions of these songs, whether by wowaka themselves or covers from other artists. I don't think any ordinary artist could have this type of subtle, outstretched reach.

Another thing was that this really feels like the raw version of the super high-energy, layered, riff-heavy, chaotic j-rock that we hear a lot today. You can hear the rawness leaking out of the timbre of the sounds. Compared to more modern songs, it's unabashedly tinny (not sure how much this is because of the second-hand uploader) and electronically generated, down to the vocaloid singer, yet it uses these qualities to pack a punch more sharp and intense than lots of actually recorded stuff.

The best modern example of this type of music I can think of is Zutomayo, who is is the exact same subgenre of j-rock wowaka is in. Not sure if wowaka was the first to do this, or popularised this or whatever, but this really feels like a precursor to a lot of modern j-rock.

Yet through everything, the osu music, the j-rock precursor, and even through Hatsune Miku, this album manages to fully stand on it's own. Not as anything I just mentioned, but as Unhappy refrain by wowaka. I don't see these songs as just osu songs or miku songs any more, they've gone beyond that and turned into wowaka songs.

Top to bottom this album doesn't really lull (except maybe a tiny bit from tracks 10-12). Many of the songs are so high energy that you feel dizzy from headbanging, and the lower energy songs feel perfect to just sit back and take a break while soaking in the sounds.

My favourites are probably Nichijou to chikyuu no gakubuchi, Toosenbo and Ura-omote lovers, three headbangers of the highest degree. My least favourite was probably Prism cube, the last track, because it didn't feel that special with the usual chaos of wowaka toned down. However, I still liked it and it's amazing as a closer to the album, like this is the most anime ed sounding song I've ever heard.

All in all, this album is an incredible experience.

9/10

Rest in peace wowaka.
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
hi marco
- Marco -

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

6th July 2024

wowaka - Unhappy refrain
J-Rock, Vocaloid, Japanese

(Don't think wowaka ever officially released all these songs on youtube, so this is an unofficial upload)

OMG HATSUNE MIKU OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU MIKU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay now that I have your attention we can talk about this amazing album.

This is the first album here where it's not my first time listening. I'm pretty sure I was made aware of this album through some random online comment which mentioned this together with Mikgazer, which piqued my interest. Unlike the other albums I've talked about, I've actually had the chance to become familiar with this one. However, the first time I listened to this was pretty recently, so I can still talk about the first impressions that I remember.

I think the thing that struck me most about this album is how it immediately felt like a "classic" of sorts. Like a sort of precursor, or something that is the foundation of everything else. I'm not sure how true this is because I'm not that knowledgeable, but what I can say was that that is the overwhelming impression this album gives.

First thing, it was crazy how many songs I recognised from osu. And I realised that most of the songs I recognised from osu were slightly different versions. Assuming that this album is entirely original, it means that wowaka has actually unknowingly defined a lot of my osu experience, indirectly through different versions of these songs, whether by wowaka themselves or covers from other artists. I don't think any ordinary artist could have this type of subtle, outstretched reach.

Another thing was that this really feels like the raw version of the super high-energy, layered, riff-heavy, chaotic j-rock that we hear a lot today. You can hear the rawness leaking out of the timbre of the sounds. Compared to more modern songs, it's unabashedly tinny (not sure how much this is because of the second-hand uploader) and electronically generated, down to the vocaloid singer, yet it uses these qualities to pack a punch more sharp and intense than lots of actually recorded stuff.

The best modern example of this type of music I can think of is Zutomayo, who is is the exact same subgenre of j-rock wowaka is in. Not sure if wowaka was the first to do this, or popularised this or whatever, but this really feels like a precursor to a lot of modern j-rock.

Yet through everything, the osu music, the j-rock precursor, and even through Hatsune Miku, this album manages to fully stand on it's own. Not as anything I just mentioned, but as Unhappy refrain by wowaka. I don't see these songs as just osu songs or miku songs any more, they've gone beyond that and turned into wowaka songs.

Top to bottom this album doesn't really lull (I'm pretty sure I've said this like 3 times now, maybe I'll just stop mentioning this). Many of the songs are so high energy that you feel dizzy from headbanging, and the lower energy songs feel perfect to just sit back and take a break while soaking in the sounds.

My favourites are probably Nichijou to chikyuu no gakubuchi, Toosenbo and Ura-omote lovers, three headbangers of the highest degree. My least favourite was probably Prism cube, the last track, because it didn't feel that special with the usual chaos of wowaka toned down. However, I still liked it and it's amazing as a closer to the album, like this is the most anime ed sounding song I've ever heard.

All in all, this album is an incredible experience.

9/10

Rest in peace wowaka.
WOWAKA 😭😭😭 O7
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
What do you guys think is the best way to categorise these albums into genres? Should I just give each album 1 or 2 main genres/categories as I've been doing now, or should I copy the genres/styles off of a website? I'm generally not too well versed in genres. I also feel like I could give Unhappy Refrain a more specific genre than J-Rock, but idk what.

Edit: I've thought about it and I think I'm just going to keep going off of what I feel.
Patatitta

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

What do you guys think is the best way to categorise these albums into genres? Should I just give each album 1 or 2 main genres/categories as I've been doing now, or should I copy the genres/styles off of a website? I'm generally not too well versed in genres. I also feel like I could give Unhappy Refrain a more specific genre than J-Rock, but idk what.

Edit: I've thought about it and I think I'm just going to keep going off of what I feel.
just copy whatever appears on wikipedia or whatever IMO

also hyper omega specific subgenres suck ass
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Patatitta wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

The thing is every site has a different list of genres, and some of them will have a gazillion of them. Allmusic.com says Parannoul - After the Magic is "Alternative/Indie Rock, Indie Rock, Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Emo, Noise Pop, Post-Rock, Indie Electronic" for it's "styles" and "pop/rock" for it's "genre". I have no idea what half of these are, and when I look the genre up and listen to some music the genres sometimes feel very tenuous. I think I'll just say that After the Magic is shoegaze and leave it at that.
Patatitta

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

The thing is every site has a different list of genres, and some of them will have a gazillion of them. Allmusic.com says Parannoul - After the Magic is "Alternative/Indie Rock, Indie Rock, Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Emo, Noise Pop, Post-Rock, Indie Electronic" for it's "styles" and "pop/rock" for it's "genre". I have no idea what half of these are, and when I look the genre up and listen to some music the genres sometimes feel very tenuous. I think I'll just say that After the Magic is shoegaze and leave it at that.
that is why I said hyper specific genres suck ass LMAO
lostsilver
i shall wait patiently for mine to be rated
Joon Yorigami

what about my AOTY (for now)
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Joon Yorigami wrote:

what about my AOTY (for now)
ok I'll listen to it in like 24 days
Kolon Dee
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
Before I get into my thoughts on todays album, after some thinking I've decided to change my personal rating scale to better reflect how I want to rate these albums. Here it is:

10 - Top 10 favourite albums
9 - One of my favourites, I want to listen to it again and again
8 - It was cool and I liked the whole album but not as much as a 9/10
7 - It was cool, but I didn't like it as much as an 8/10
6 - Between a 7 and an 5 lol
5 - It was ok, I kinda enjoyed it sometimes maybe
4 - It left no impression, I was uninterested
3 - It left a slightly sour taste in my mouth
2 - I have a straight up negative impression of this
1 - Top 5 least favourite albums

This scale focusses more on how much I enjoyed/liked an album, and is mostly relational in nature, with me comparing albums in higher and lower tiers to see where I think an album fits for me. Maybe for this style of rating there's too much possible ratings and I should have a more concise rating scale, but I want to keep it as 1-10 because it's very common to rate things out of 10, it'll be more consistent with other things I've rated, and 10 is a really satisfying round number.

Also, because I don't have much albums right now to compare new albums I listen to with, I will definitely be shuffling around the album ratings in the future as I get a better sense of what each rating number is to me.

7th July 2024

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Trip-Hop, British, 1998

(This is just the first track, this is the playlist I listened to)

This is the first album since I started this thing that I went into completely blind. I literally didn't know if the artist's name was "Mezzanine" or "Massive Attack" before I looked it up.

This is also the first album that I would say doesn't exactly match my music taste. Not really sure how to explain my taste in music, but this style of music isn't really it.

Nevertheless, this album was pretty cool. It really felt like a way of exploring all these different sounds to create this guttural, hypnotic atmosphere. Although I had no idea what "Trip-Hop" was before listening to this, the atmosphere and sounds of this album really reminded me of trance music, and I felt a similar way listening to this album as when I listen to trance music.

The first few track of this album had me absolutely captivated, especially with the bass and percussion in Angel, and the beauty of Teardrop, my favourite track. It was fascinating to hear the angelic vocals contrasting with the darker sounds of the instrumentals, coming together in an absolutely mesmerising mesh of sounds.

Speaking of the vocals, I liked the vocals in general. There were a ton of different vocalists, like 5 or 6 maybe, and each one brought something new to the table with their own style. I didn't really care for the lyrics though, even though I was following along with the lyrics for each song.

I found myself losing interest in the album during the latter half though, I think the atmosphere and vibe kind of wore off for me after like 30 minutes. I still enjoyed my time with the entire album though.

In the end though, I don't really think this music is something I'd revisit or particularly want to listen to in the future. Who knows, maybe my tastes will change.

8/10

(might be downgraded to 7 in the future)

(Note from the future: It's a 6 now lmao, I haven't changed my opinion on it though, it just ended up getting shifted down a lot.)
Laxxer
Company (2018 London Cast Recording) by Stephen Sondheim
Karmine
Mezzanine isn't my favourite album from Massive Attack but it's the most well known.
Kinda sad you didn't like it too much but hey at least you didn't hate it. :D

Anyway here's a new album if you ever get through all the other suggestions: Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
xch00F
there's a man that live next door
eeeeeee my neighbor
eeeeeee my neighbor
Karmine

xch00F wrote:

eeeeeee my neighbor
eeeeeee my neighbor
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Karmine wrote:

xch00F wrote:

eeeeeee my neighbor
eeeeeee my neighbor
huh
MaxIsABigKaiju
Gorillaz- Gorillaz
ClevelandsMyBro
SECONDWALL - Beautiful Lie

ill post more idk this is probably not gonna get picked up
Corne2Plum3
bump
Patatitta

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

bump
it's been 19 hours, also, like my thread, they will bump naturally as they write their next review, no need to bump
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

bump
it's been 19 hours, also, like my thread, they will bump naturally as they write their next review, no need to bump
nah i procrastinated too much today lol
ClevelandsMyBro

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

bump
its been 19 hours because i posted
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
8th July 2024 (actually 9th now oops)

Lamp - ゆめ (Yume)
Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2014

(Link to the rest of the album)

If you read my review of Parannoul - After the Rain, you'd remember that I was hesitant to give it a 9/10 because there was an album that was a 10/10 which was on a different level for me. This is that album.

(Note from the future: 2 albums before this was upgraded to 10/10)

Just give me one minute of your time. One minute. Turn up the volume as loud as you can without it being uncomfortable (be careful of loud sound jumpscare if you turn it up too high before the music starts), and listen to the first minute of the first song, the one above.

If that isn't the most orgasmic one minute of music ever then idk what is. And yeah that's how this album starts.

If you had asked me at any point in the past few years what my favourite album was, I would've said it was this. And even though I haven't listened to it in a while, after listening to it again today, yeah it's still my favourite album. Like if someone else made this thread looking for album recommendations, this is the album I would've sent first.

I honestly don't have too many words that I want to say to describe this album. One thing I noticed listening to it today was how throughout the album Lamp tries to change things up. First was their song structures. None of them felt like the common song structures we are used to today, most of the songs felt like they were constantly doing new things as the song went on, and even if the song were to go back to something it did previously it would put a fresh new spin on it. In this way, none of the songs got boring midway through. Either the whole song was interesting or the whole song was boring (none of the songs were boring). Another thing that they changed up a lot was the instrumentation. Every song had different instrumentation from the last, and pretty much all of them would blast you with a unique flavour of instruments immediately so your interest is immediately piqued.

Speaking of instrumentation, the ways the instruments played over each other all doing their own thing kinda reminded me of wowaka. There was that same, full feeling in the sound with everything going on at once. A good example of this was the third song ため息の行方. In the middle there's this instrumental section which mostly utilised physical classical instruments (strings, brass, woodwind, percussion instead of electronic sounds). There's like 15 different instruments, no two of them playing the same line, all flitting in and out all over the place. I also really liked how different instruments sounded like they were playing in different places (like how you can get sounds of your left/right headphone to make it sound like it's coming from a specific direction). It was really nice to help distinguish all different things happening, although I'm guessing this was probably just because of how the musicians were seated while recording this.

Ok I want to try and be negative about my favourite album now. Uhh I guess if I listen to too much Lamp everything gets kinda boring and samey? I mean there's 0 artists that I know of that could buck this trend, and the only album to buck this trend for me that I can think of was OK Computer. So yeah actually this isn't that negative when you compare it to how much more pronounced it was with Mezzanine for example. Uhhh I guess the names of all the songs being Japanese is kinda annoying because it makes it harder to distinuguish them? Uhhh my left earbud kept cutting out if I moved too much which was annoying. Oh I know, I guess the tracks maybe did feel a bit more randomly created and placed compared to other albums I've listened to in this thread? But then if you listen to other Lamp albums, you'll each album actually has their own unique carefully curated vibe to it. God I love Lamp.

What was the vibe of this album? It felt like it had a bossa nova influence. It kinda was like the vibe of a really chill cafe, but like really intense lmao.

Uhhh my favourite song, idk probably the first one? And my least favourite? None of them, I liked all of them. With other albums I can pick out favourites and least favourites, but with this I honestly can't.

Whenever I'm feeling down, I know this album is there for me to make me feel like the world is a good place.

Looks like I did have a lot of words to say. Goated album.

10/10

I really hope that I can find more 10/10 albums on this level, but I'm afraid that it might take a while. Right now, I can literally only think of one other album that I've listened to before which is also maybe a 10/10, although I'm not as sure it will be as this one was. Outside of that, the only album I've listened to in this thread that maybe has a chance is OK Computer, I really need to give the songs there another go.

(Note from the future: I lowered my standards slightly so now I have a bunch of 10/10s)

I hope the album cover is ok for OT lol.
Achromalia

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

8th July 2024 (actually 9th now oops)

Lamp - ゆめ (Yume)
Shibuya-Kei, Japanese, 2014

10/10
If you read my review of Parannoul - After the Rain, you'd remember that I was hesitant to give it a 9/10 because there was an album that was a 10/10 which was on a different level for me. This is that album.

Just give me one minute of your time. One minute. Turn up the volume as loud as you can without it being uncomfortable (be careful of loud sound jumpscare if you turn it up too high before the music starts), and listen to the first minute of the first song, the one above.

If that isn't the most orgasmic one minute of music ever then idk what is. And yeah that's how this album starts.

If you had asked me at any point in the past few years what my favourite album was, I would've said it was this. And even though I haven't listened to it in a while, after listening to it again today, yeah it's still my favourite album. Like if someone else made this thread looking for album recommendations, this is the album I would've sent first.

I honestly don't have too many words that I want to say to describe this album. One thing I noticed listening to it today was how throughout the album Lamp tries to change things up. First was their song structures. None of them felt like the common song structures we are used to today, most of the songs felt like they were constantly doing new things as the song went on, and even if the song were to go back to something it did previously it would put a fresh new spin on it. In this way, none of the songs got boring midway through. Either the whole song was interesting or the whole song was boring (none of the songs were boring). Another thing that they changed up a lot was the instrumentation. Every song had different instrumentation from the last, and pretty much all of them would blast you with a unique flavour of instruments immediately so your interest is immediately piqued.

Speaking of instrumentation, the ways the instruments played over each other all doing their own thing kinda reminded me of wowaka. There was that same, full feeling in the sound with everything going on at once. A good example of this was the third song ため息の行方. In the middle there's this instrumental section which mostly utilised physical classical instruments (strings, brass, woodwind, percussion instead of electronic sounds). There's like 15 different instruments, no two of them playing the same line, all flitting in and out all over the place. I also really liked how different instruments sounded like they were playing in different places (like how you can get sounds of your left/right headphone to make it sound like it's coming from a specific direction). It was really nice to help distinguish all different things happening, although I'm guessing this was probably just because of how the musicians were seated while recording this.

Ok I want to try and be negative about my favourite album now. Uhh I guess if I listen to too much Lamp everything gets kinda boring and samey? I mean there's 0 artists that I know of that could buck this trend, and the only album to buck this trend for me that I can think of was OK Computer. So yeah actually this isn't that negative when you compare it to how much more pronounced it was with Mezzanine for example. Uhhh I guess the names of all the songs being Japanese is kinda annoying because it makes it harder to distinuguish them? Uhhh my left earbud kept cutting out if I moved too much which was annoying. Oh I know, I guess the tracks maybe did feel a bit more randomly created and placed compared to other albums I've listened to in this thread? But then if you listen to other Lamp albums, you'll each album actually has their own unique carefully curated vibe to it. God I love Lamp.

What was the vibe of this album? It felt like it had a bossa nova influence. It kinda was like the vibe of a really chill cafe, but like really intense lmao.

Uhhh my favourite song, idk probably the first one? And my least favourite? None of them, I liked all of them. With other albums I can pick out favourites and least favourites, but with this I honestly can't.

Whenever I'm feeling down, I know this album is there for me to make me feel like the world is a good place.

Looks like I did have a lot of words to say. Goated album.

10/10

I really hope that I can find more 10/10 albums on this level, but I'm afraid that it might take a while. Right now, I can literally only think of one other album that I've listened to before which is also maybe a 10/10, although I'm not as sure it will be as this one was. Outside of that, the only album I've listened to in this thread that maybe has a chance is OK Computer, I really need to give the songs there another go.

I hope the album cover is ok for OT lol.
i feel like i could've grown up with this song. its emotive/sentimental qualities for me feel kind of like my experience with this one group i've known called "the carpenters" but it has a little more texture and it has a different kind of... something like a more savory flavor

this is like an extremely cozy childhood i almost actually could've had, give or take a different place and town to have very distinct summers in very specific kinds of moderately-sized immigrant market stores, with specific ornaments and industrial fans and lighting, settled in pulsing oppressive breathless heat

but at the same time it's a cool fan-cradled master bedroom of parents i haven't had, as they play this exact first song on a moderately-aged stereo system manufactured during the early 1990s, carpeted floor with a rug, lounging and rolling in a bed as fictional parents prepare in the background for an event they'll be taking me on a trip to

i'm not reviewing the album for now, but for me, the song itself is something like...

˚✩₊✻° ( 8.39 / 10.00 ) °✻₊✩˚
xch00F
recommending one of these (all of these are personal 10/10s):
william basinski - melancholia
xanopticon - liminal space
autechre - confield

the first one is very tangibly sad but beautiful loop based ambient music
the second and third are both experimental electronic albums from artists considered "pioneers" in breakcore and idm respectively. liminal space is more about sheer ferocity and the absolute mangling of drum loops, confield is more about sound design and atmosphere. if you pick one of these recs I'd go for melancholia first, much easier listen. the other two are definitely worth checking out tho, for anyone who's into rhythm games really. they're kinda like the "endgame of rhythms" for electronic music that has never had to make concessions for rhythm games.

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

honestly nowadays if I need to use genre labels with a high level of specificity I'll just pull the genres off of the album's rateyourmusic page if it has one lol. genres are basically a hierarchical category system so as long as you stay up near the more generalized ones like rock, rap, country, etc it'll never be contentious, and genre arguments are so old hat at this point. hearing more and more music and engaging in discourse about it will naturally enlighten you to what the more granular genres labels sound like.

that said, if you see anyone using "electronica" you should bully them.
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
9th July 2024

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Rap, American, 2015

Rap has never really been my thing. As a genre of music, it kind of stands opposite to the things I enjoy about music, I feel. I like interesting sounds, I like strong melodies, I like things that make me feel certain ways, and rap doesn't really do any of this.

It's not that I dislike rap, it's just never been my thing. It's never really given me what I want out of music.

And this album was no different. I didn't really find any of the music particularly interesting, yeah it was cool but nothing particularly grabbed me and made me go whoa (outside of Wesley's Theory, that song was actually pretty epic now that I listen to it again).

However, what I was really enjoyed were reading the lyrics. What I've done with every English album so far was to look up the lyrics on Genius, and read along to them with the vocals. Doing that really enhanced the experience of this album, as I'm usually really bad at distinguishing what people are saying when there are other sounds happening.

I think it was around the song Institutionalised when I had an epiphany. What if I changed my perspective. Instead of listening to this as music, how about listening to this as poetry, musical poetry. Instead of listening to the sounds, I would listen in and take in the words, with the sounds adding to the experience. It was then when it felt like something really clicked.

Never thought I would do this for an album but spoiler warning I guess
As a work of art, out of all the albums I've listened to in this thread, To Pimp a Butterfly is probably the best. I've never seen a narrative done like this in a regular album. It felt like I wasn't listening to music but experiencing a straight up musical, with Lamar, his 46 different voices, and all the other vocalists as actors up on stage.

With the poem to Tupac as the framing device, each song detailing Lamar's thoughts and experiences, the negativity, the evil, and even the good. All leading up to the final track Mortal Man, where we learn of why Lamar wrote this album. To share his wisdom from his experiences and to send a message. Through tackling the social issues of the African American community, combing through and exploring each one, he ultimately says that everyone should be together to face greater injustices.

But even more, this felt like an extremely introspective, self reflective work about Lamar himself. Not only did this album feel like it was written to say what Lamar wanted to say, but to also deal with his own feelings and doubts, and to explore who he is as a person and what was his purpose. We see that the reason for the messages he tells the black youth listening is because he feels like he has a responsibility to do so as the next one up.

This is not something I come across often, but when someone's own life is expressed as well as this, it is one of the most incredible things.

Compared all of this, me not liking rap really feels like a really insignificant thing.

Yet sadly the music is the thing that holds the album back for me. As incredible as it was, I don't really want to listen to it again, and so it can't be a 9. It does feel a bit wrong to rate this album in this way, when I feel like it was trying to do something else.

7/10

(Note from the future: I like rap now so it's a 9/10)

(Also this album is downgrading Mezzanine to a 7 rip)
Patatitta
btw I may steal your total counter for my thread
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Patatitta wrote:

btw I may steal your total counter for my thread
I already stole your tier list so go ahead
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL
I talked to my friend about rap and he told me about the realisation that in rap the rhythms and flow are analogous to melodies and harmonies, so I'm interested in listening to rap in this way to see what it's like
Winnyace

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

9th July 2024

Hip-Hop, Rap, American, 2015

Rap has never really been my thing. As a genre of music, it kind of stands opposite to the things I enjoy about music, I feel. I like interesting sounds, I like strong melodies, I like things that make me feel certain ways, and rap doesn't really do any of this.

It's not that I dislike rap, it's just never been my thing. It's never really given me what I want out of music.

And this album was no different. I didn't really find any of the music particularly interesting, yeah it was cool but nothing particularly grabbed me and made me go whoa (outside of Wesley's Theory, that song was actually pretty epic now that I listen to it again).

However, what I was really enjoyed were reading the lyrics. What I've done with every English album so far was to look up the lyrics on Genius, and read along to them with the vocals. Doing that really enhanced the experience of this album, as I'm usually really bad at distinguishing what people are saying when there are other sounds happening.

I think it was around the song Institutionalised when I had an epiphany. What if I changed my perspective. Instead of listening to this as music, how about listening to this as poetry, musical poetry. Instead of listening to the sounds, I would listen in and take in the words, with the sounds adding to the experience. It was then when it felt like something really clicked.

As a work of literary art, out of all the albums I've listened to in this thread, To Pimp a Butterfly is probably the best. I've never seen a narrative done like this in a regular album. It felt like I wasn't listening to music but experiencing a straight up musical, with Lamar, his 46 different voices, and all the other vocalists as actors up on stage.

With the poem to Tupac as the framing device, each song detailing Lamar's thoughts and experiences, the negativity, the evil, and even the good. All leading up to the final track Mortal Man, where we learn of why Lamar wrote this album. To share his wisdom from his experiences and to send a message. Through tackling the social issues of the African American community, combing through and exploring each one, he ultimately says that everyone should be together to face greater injustices.

But even more, this felt like an extremely introspective, self reflective work about Lamar himself. Not only did this album feel like it was written to say what Lamar wanted to say, but to also deal with his own feelings and doubts, and to explore who he is as a person and what was his purpose. We see that the reason for the messages he tells the black youth listening is because he feels like he has a responsibility to do so as the next one up.

This is not something I come across often, but when someone's own life is expressed as well as this, it is one of the most incredible things.

Compared all of this, me not liking rap really feels like a really insignificant thing.

Yet sadly the music is the thing that holds the album back for me. As incredible as it was, I don't really want to listen to it again, and so it can't be a 9. It does feel a bit wrong to rate this album in this way, when I feel like it was trying to do something else.

8/10

I'm glad you liked it as much as you did! I do enjoy it myself too, though since I'm not a black person, I can't relate to it as hard as someone who is. Either way, it is fantastically written IMO.

I wanna see what you think of Melt Your Eyez See Your Future by Denzel Curry.
Lapizote

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

9th July 2024

As a work of literary art, out of all the albums I've listened to in this thread, To Pimp a Butterfly is probably the best. I've never seen a narrative done like this in a regular album. It felt like I wasn't listening to music but experiencing a straight up musical, with Lamar, his 46 different voices, and all the other vocalists as actors up on stage.

8/10

considering your gripes about rap and hip hop, i'd like to suggest a post-Graduation Kanye album

either My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Life of Pablo, or Yeezus (the latter is cool if you like "aggressive and noisy" music)

ye also works if you want a shorter album
Topic Starter
DM FOR MUTUAL

Lapizote wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

9th July 2024

8/10

considering your gripes about rap and hip hop, i'd like to suggest a post-Graduation Kanye album

either My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Life of Pablo, or Yeezus (the latter is cool if you like "aggressive and noisy" music)

Ok I'll listen to the first one, unless you want me to listen to all 3
Lapizote

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

Lapizote wrote:

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

9th July 2024

8/10

Ok I'll listen to the first one, unless you want me to listen to all 3
nah i dont wanna subject you to listening to all if it turns out you dont like his music

pick any
show more