forum

Rule Request : Chainposting & Other Useless Dribble

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ymir
*Note: A request for a rule change to be seen by GMTs, however feel free to discuss.
*Note 2: The main issue is chainposting, everything else could be just rant.

MAIN ISSUE: Chainposting

Recently, 2 users maliciously chainposted as an act of "revenge" or whatever. Whilst I understand its a joke, lets not let this happen again. Chainposting is the name given to a specific type of spamming on the forums. The term "chainposting" or "chainpost" first appears in General Discussion around 5 months ago, during a discussion regarding quality. Since I'm one who has whined about this specific type of post-farming/spamming variant often, I've decided to give the term a temporary meaning for now, as to ease confusion in discussion and potential implementation:

Chainposting: The act of posting in multiple threads with minimal contribution, with or without the intention of burying other, usually recently made threads.
Note
Chainposting cannot occur on pinned threads, due to a lack of change in bump order.

I REQUEST ANY FORM OF CHAINPOSTING BE PUNISHABLE UNDER RULES OF SPAMMING, AFTER A FIRST WARNING IS ISSUED
(its annoying spam shite)

ISSUE 2: Tradeposting / Alternating / Conversation

Firstly, I have no idea what to call this (in my head I call it alternating but I don't know the actual term), and secondly this is not such a big issue but I'll mention it here anyway.

Threads which consist of two people talking back and forth trading post count should be locked, or should have their trading halted. This doesn't come up often but an example could be the "sing with me thread" that was finally moved to FG after months of 2 people going back and forth (good job GMT!).

I believe rules against this might exist already, but sometimes it isn't enforced.

ISSUE 3: General Post-farming

This may be much more difficult to moderate, therefore I understand why it occurs.

Post-farming has existed for who knows how long, but was made popular by a user known as Stomiks. The main difference between Stomiks and post farmers of today, is that Stomiks never seemed to purposely fill single threads with his own replies, often providing some level of smoothness to his posts. Stomiks was never annoying anyone in this regard (personal experience).

The most annoying practice of 2023/24 post farmers is the act of responding to every single fucking reply on a thread, even when it doesn't involve them. Responses are usually dumbass questions or comments with minimal effort considered to make it look like they actually give a shit about the thread (it's obvious they don't). One of this is fine, now put this on every thread and sometimes recur it multiple times, and we have a bit of an irritating situation.

Am I overreacting? 100%, yes I am.

If we could just ban blatant post-farming under spam, that would be great, but it may not be this simple
Jangsoodlor
first time seeing someone using [/notice] in ages.

But I think punishing "chainposting" in OT! is a bit too much (unless they make more than one thread per approximately a day). Since it's a place for zero braincell contents and random stuffs to begin with.
Karmine

Ymir wrote:

If we could just ban blatant post-farming under spam, that would be great, but it may not be this simple
It is, in fact, that simple.
There are already rules against spamming, especially when done outside of OT, but they're not enforced.

Since most forums have very little activity, spamming (either chainposting/trading) is pretty much the only way to post farm. If spamming actually got people silenced post farming would be almost impossible so there would be no need to do anything about it.

Also yeah, Stomiks was the only one doing it at the time and his posts somewhat added something to the discussion. Now there are multiple people doing it (some on a much larger scale) while contributing nothing to the threads.

Jangsoodlor wrote:

first time seeing someone using [/notice] in ages.

But I think punishing "chainposting" in OT! is a bit too much (unless they make more than one thread per approximately a day). Since it's a place for zero braincell contents and random stuffs to begin with.
On OT I wouldn't mind chainposting since it's OT as long as it doesn't happen too often.
I very rarely go to page 2, when I do it's either because I was inactive or most likely because someone chainposted.
Patatitta
that one chainposting thread 2: the nuclear option

I agree with banning chainposting, I disscussed it earlier

for the second thing, honestly I can see situations where only 2 people care about a thread and actually only 2 people talk, even here on OT we have alternating with the character rp threads, I would say that can stay

post farming as much as I would like it to get it banned (i'm the #1 post farming hater), I think that rather than banning the practice, you should remove post count on it's entirerity, or at least make it harder to access or in a more obscure place. Just that it isn't below your name, I think if post count wasn't as visible some people wouldn't be as inclined to do it. Also, banning post farming/removing post could would most likely leave every other subforum dead in the water, so you may want to consider that
Karmine

Patatitta wrote:

for the second thing, honestly I can see situations where only 2 people care about a thread and actually only 2 people talk, even here on OT we have alternating with the character rp threads, I would say that can stay
That happens but you can clearly see there's a discussion going on. Sometimes it's just one useless message after another.
Patatitta

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

That happens but you can clearly see there's a discussion going on. Sometimes it's just one useless message after another.
idk, that just seems like such a petty issue, just lock those threads or move them or whatever, but outright banning it seems extreme. Chainposting is annoying, post farming by leaving useless posts in every single thread known in human history is annoying, but that?, I dont find it annoying or really something that is big enough to warrant a ban
his everything

Patatitta wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

idk, that just seems like such a petty issue, just lock those threads or move them or whatever, but outright banning it seems extreme. Chainposting is annoying, post farming by leaving useless posts in every single thread known in human history is annoying, but that?, I dont find it annoying or really something that is big enough to warrant a ban
so someone can basically spam every threads in OT with the same message over and over and over again and they won't get any consequences? is it a joke?
Topic Starter
Ymir
I think we can all agree spamming the same message is an instant silence. Nobody really does that though.
Patatitta

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I don't think anyone means we should ban people who do it, but not letting people do it, i.e. locking threads where it happens or silencing/removing posts if the thread is otherwise active.
I don't think we should enforce any specific rule on it tho, just whatever gmt sees fit

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

so someone can basically spam every threads in OT with the same message over and over and over again and they won't get any consequences? is it a joke?
I'm literally on your side on this one ??????????????????????????????????
his everything

Karmine wrote:

You do that on every forum tf are you on about? Get help.
which is exactly the reason i will stay here, to annoy you even more.
Karmine

Ymir wrote:

I think we can all agree spamming the same message is an instant silence. Nobody really does that though.
Variations of "huh", "damn", "oof" and the likes are the same message to me.
his everything

Patatitta wrote:

wdym on my side? when did i said that chainposting in OT was a good thing? i do that to prove how ridiculous it is to not have a rule like that here lol
Patatitta

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

wdym on my side? when did i said that chainposting in OT was a good thing? i do that to prove how ridiculous it is to not have a rule like that here lol
I said ban chainposting, but threads like singing songs can stay, maybe read my post before asuming i'm against you?
his everything

Patatitta wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I said ban chainposting, but threads like singing songs can stay, maybe read my post before asuming i'm against you?
since when singing songs is a OT thread now? it was supposed to be a forum game thread where chainposting is basically allowed
Karmine

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

her everything
Damn people be angry abt “small” things nowadays lol.
Reyalp51
Oh i get whats happening anaxii wanted to leave ot but he is addicted so instead he is just posting hard enough so he will get a ban. Please have my schizo rats like facts
Jangsoodlor

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Karmine wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

That's literally the point of OT! imo. Since it's a place that keeps non-sensical stuffs away from a more "serious" discussions (wheter osu! related or not).
Patatitta

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

since when singing songs is a OT thread now? it was supposed to be a forum game thread where chainposting is basically allowed
holy fucking shit actually read the conversation

There were 3 issues brought up

Chainposting (on OT)
"alternating" (outside OT mainly) (This means stuff like that forum game, which has not always been in forum games, but was in the music subforum earlier, and it has like 1K posts yet 950 comes from only two persons)
post farming (outside OT for obvious reasons)

I agree with banning chainposting
I disagree with banning alternating (which was what I was saying right now)
I have some opinions about how to deal with post farming
Cerno
show more