forum

More efficient ways on handling animated elements?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Quickstarter
I returned to making skins after not working on my previous skin I regularly updated 2 years ago, I still can't get over how to animate elements like scorebar-colour, menu-back, etc. in a more efficient way aside from going frame-by frame. Are there programs that most skinners utilize for animations? Iirc, I've only heard of After Effects being used for it.
Corne2Plum3
castin
@Corne2Plum3 They were asking what software people use to create animations.
@Quickstarter I think everyone has their own preferred software. Like there isn't one that's specifically best for osu. They all kind of do the same thing. That being said, Adobe Animate is pretty new and looks really easy to use. Basically photoshop with the ability to animate layers.
Me personally, I just use photoshop and move my elements frame by frame and save each frame as I go along. For example, on my personal skin, I made the back button have a pulsing blow to it that fades in and out. I basically just kept duplicating the "glow" layer and adding 5% gaussian blur, saving it as a new frame and repeating that process until I had 60 frames.
Corne2Plum3
Personnaly I have a (bad and) simple method! it's using Photoshop, move elements manually and save everytime (one time I made 180 frames and he tooks me 1 hour! (it's was just a element to rotate everytime where I calculated with Excel and some math the position)).
RockRoller
Just use keyframe animations in PhotoSHop / AfterAffects, its more then enough for most animations in skins. For anything else you probably just wanna animate it in AfterEffects.

Also never make animations frame by frame from hand, that just wont work well.