forum

Think you've got what it takes to be a BAT?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Real1
Ekaru is right. I take back what I said. :?

Download: Metroid Prime - Dark Samus (marshall_racer) [ArisuKarin's Hard].osu
Gens

YoshiKart wrote:

Let's try consulting those who are willing, instead of bugging people who have lives. >_>
My door's always closed open! People can just PM me or something, but they don't >_>.

Screw this post, it's old; Do NOT PM me!
Ivalset
A BAT application form might be rolling out within the next week or two. The main requirements will likely be a certain number of mod posts in pending/help as well as active on irc or on the forums, while other things such as reputation and rank will probably influence decisions as well.

Keep modding and stay active in irc or on the forums helping people, and we'll see you in the lounge eventually.
Ekaru

Gens wrote:

YoshiKart wrote:

Let's try consulting those who are willing, instead of bugging people who have lives. >_>
My door's always closed open! People can just PM me or something, but they don't >_>.
1. Look at random maps in Pending; those would like attention.

2. That reminds me that I said I'd mod someone's map. ;P He kinda asks me whenever he makes a map. So do my friends who started mapping occasionally for fun. Why do they ask ME though? Oh well.

Finding maps to mod isn't an issue, because if someone doesn't request a mod job while you're on, there's a gigantic 'Pending' forum. No excuses there, sorry.

A BAT application form? Sounds like a decent idea.
awp
Also for those who want to begin "training" as it were:

Experience is the greatest teacher. (That is probably a Chinese proverb)
DJPop
For easily: even BAT or non-BAT, everyone should check other people's maps and mod them, am I right?

I'm still finding someone to mod my maps everyday :(

Gens wrote:

No one knows until you tell :?
Zatoichi
If someone asked me to look at their maps, I'd help in any way I could. It's just that new members (members that don't really read rules) see BATs as the only people who can help them and only really bug them.
darrihuka
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
RemmyX25
I'd love to massively mod, but when I attacked pending for a whole month, most of those maps are now in the graveyard. I'd love to mod via IRC requests, but when I do say tell someone I'll mod a map, I get three whiny bitchy "Mod mine next! whine whine whine" (most of the time those maps need a nuke which i dont have...)

Also, college takes up most of my time now. If anyone was paying attention over the summer, I went somewhat mod crazy for a month or so, but stopped for a bit since most maps I looked at went straight into graveyard.

/rant
Gens

DJPop wrote:

Gens wrote:

No one knows until you tell :?
It's actually in my sig. What I just noticed is that is too small and maybe not noticeable <.< I should post even more.

Ekaru wrote:

Gens wrote:

1. Look at random maps in Pending; those would like attention.

2. That reminds me that I said I'd mod someone's map. ;P He kinda asks me whenever he makes a map. So do my friends who started mapping occasionally for fun. Why do they ask ME though? Oh well.

Finding maps to mod isn't an issue, because if someone doesn't request a mod job while you're on, there's a gigantic 'Pending' forum. No excuses there, sorry.
I've tried, and yeah, I did some modding like that, but then, I got distracted by U.N. Owen was her and stuff.
And I don't like too much the current selection of songs in that forum >.> but oh well seems no one cares. There are a few songs I always wanted to mod but I forgot to do so :(
minyeob

RemmyX25 wrote:

, but when I attacked pending for a whole month, most of those maps are now in the graveyard.
Same here. 25% of my posts are in the graveyard............

By the way, I think modding bubbled maps is the fastest way to develop my modding ability.
Ivalset

darrihuka wrote:

1. We need more responsible BATs. I look down upon those who get their BATship and run away.
2. We have to find a way to make BATs mod (rewards and punishment system is necessary). This is the most important imo.
3. Map maps of better quality.
Huh. A rewards and punishment system? Please elaborate.
Skyripper
I think dar means, BATS who don't do anything should be punished for not doing anything and/or be held in less regard to BATS who DO do things.

That's what I got from the post anyway
Topic Starter
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
lukewarmholiday
As long as they understand why the moderation system is in place.

As of now a few BATs I feel are taking guidelines as rules. or perhaps beatmappers are taking BATs suggestions as "CHANGE OR ELSE" statements.

For one I don't feel we should remotely cater to maps that feel lazy/have glaring flaws yet still are considered not nukeable. Either instant help/GY them since their time should be spent helping mappers that actually put effort into their maps.

Personally I always felt a submitted map should be star quality at submission.
Topic Starter
Echo

lukewarmholiday wrote:

or perhaps beatmappers are taking BATs suggestions as "CHANGE OR ELSE" statements.
I agree. I always try to say "you could do so and so" or "probably do so and so" but people always end up doing it anyway. Only a few say that they don't want to change something (eg. eiji, darri)
awp

Echo wrote:

Actually, reward and punishment would be interesting. Obviously it can't be anything monetary. But then what would give someone motivation to mod?
How about a little table that shows how often a BAT mods / how much a BAT has modded? Adding that colour thing that was added would also be a neat factor. That'd motivate me to mod more.

Except that those are already implemented and imo were pretty effective at getting people to mod. Sometimes, people are just busy.

'course there's other times where people are just lazy. And I wouldn't say being a BAT is a thankless job, because it is not, but I won't be the first to say it can be pretty damned exhausting and the problem with that is most people who aspire to become BATs don't fully understand the task. That's why there are so many BATs with <200 exp.

One other thing that bothers me is not the persistence of mappers (I find that somewhat respectable, even if it is annoying) but the impression that some mappers have that they are somehow special. You are not a special little snowflake. A lot of people want their maps to be ranked just for the sake of getting ranked. They follow (after enough assistance) all the guidelines and clear out all the problems to get their maps ranked. And at the end of the day, what does it amount to? Most of the time, a higher ranked score and a sense of accomplishment on the mapper's part. That's all well enough, but I wish people would try to excel a little more. Stop aiming for "ranking standards". Start aiming for "obliterate ranking standards with a truly awesome map that people won't just play for score". Easier said than done, of course, but oftentimes it is pretty obvious when someone has the "map to get ranked" mentality. Of course, despite past successes, I can see myself joining the ranks of these clamoring digits. Put me out of my misery when that time comes.

I think I lost sight of the point of my post as I was typing it so I'm going to re-iterate it in a single sentence:

Please be aware of the full scope of the task.
RemmyX25
Guilty as charged, as awp described maps that aren't too exciting. Breaking Up is Hard to Do, anyone?

But what concerns me (and assuming the rest of the non-BATs who frequently mod) is the fact that we mod, they fix, we approve, but no one else will look at the map, because it isn't starred or something. I've tried to bug actual BATs to star/bubble/nuke for me, but I rarely get success for the first two because they don't want to make sure I did a correct job modding, but too lazy/busy to mod it themselves. (This explains my giant seal of approval for everyone to see) Nuking is fine because it doesn't take much for someone which SOME modding experience to say GET THE BOMB SHELTER OUT, WE GOT A NUKE COMIN OUR WAY--- but stealing from Nuke Cabinets is harder than it seems, especially when again, mods are busy.

/rabbling
minyeob
VincentLaw
i don't think i have what it takes to be a BAT ( or atleast not yet )

but im kinda interested in getting more fun and beatmaps with Innovative Patterns ( if there is anything that hasn't been done yet )

so i will be checking beatmaps from now on, i have plenty freetime so i will test and give my opinion to the creators

also hmmm i have a suggestion... i think the BATS should gather a day and name some beatmaps and run a poll in the forum with those maps so the winner at the end of let's say a week the most voted map gets priority

:)
minyeob
Jarby

minyeob wrote:

How about holding BAT election?
That isn't really necessary, as we don't have a sole member moderating beatmaps. A BAT nomination poll would make more sense. Although, anyone with enough skill and time to become one should have already been contacted, right?
Sonnyc
I wonder how is a BAT chosen..
RemmyX25

sonnyc wrote:

I wonder how is a BAT chosen..
Read the original post and you might find out :D
minyeob
Edited the post.

EDIT: lol Skyripper you're GMT. Why?
Same here, I express public interest, too.
Skyripper
minyeob, you are a good mod... that's all I know about it.

Consider this the post in which I express an interest in BATdom.

I'm not asking. I'm just expressing public interest.
Starrodkirby86
Hm, I wonder if being active in #mod counts as being active in IRC...haha...Probably does when BATs see this activity being done.

Same here, I express public interest as well. Those requirements seem exciting and great...though in depth. I wonder if the current staff looks for that. But ap! No bashing the staff, they're cool cats.
Amodeus
I wonder why osuplayer111 is still not a part of BAT...
Sir Minelli
This guy called me yesterday and told me he wanted to be a BAT.

Any chance?

tieff
Starrodkirby86
He makes all my work look so useless. I wasted so much time. ; ^ ;
Derekku
What's the point of this thread? Current BATs keep saying that there's no need for new ones. :roll:
Jarby

Derekku Chan wrote:

Current BATs keep saying that there's no need for new ones. :roll:
There are currently 17 pages of pending maps, of course there is a need for a bigger BAT.
Takuma
I think we're doing a fine job. We're ranking maps at a steady pace, etc. And have fun with those tons of maps I ranked today. zz
lukewarmholiday

JarJarJacob wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

There are currently 17 pages of pending maps, of course there is a need for a bigger BAT.
take out the garbage and you're left with about 5
Ryuukun

lukewarmholiday wrote:

JarJarJacob wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

take out the garbage and you're left with about 5
thats pretty rude.
Everyone starts somewhere.
Derekku

JarJarJacob wrote:

Derekku Chan wrote:

Notice the eyeroll, it was sarcasm :P

Yes, I think there should be more BATs. There's very capable people that could do the job. Right now I see a few very active BATs, a few moderately active BATs, and then the rest I never see post and are very inactive. :<

Yes, maps are getting ranked at a steady pace, but like I said in irc a few weeks ago: There's thousands more users than there used to be. There are also dozens/hundreds more maps now. If there's no increase in BATs to compensate for this, then it creates problems and people start getting upset.

</mytwocents>
Ryuukun

Sir Minelli wrote:

This guy called me yesterday and told me he wanted to be a BAT.

Any chance?

alone his badass avatar make me believe, this guy can do the job
lukewarmholiday
show more