forum

The Sad State of Off-Topic

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Penguin
All right, listen here. I am sick and tired of seeing Off-Topic in this bleak state that it's been in for years. I've watched OT become less and less hospitable during my stay here. Things need to change, otherwise, OT will forever be known as that godforsaken place that nobody wants to visit. (it already is a godforsaken shithole, but it's not yet at an irredeemable point.)

-----

First, I'd like to give my definition of what a "good" thread is. A good thread is a thread that doesn't inherently promote shitposting and is enjoyable for the masses to participate in. If your idea of a thread is one that is only enjoyable for a select few people, then it is most likely DOGSHIT. The rest about what makes a good thread is completely subjective.

If you guys want to make a thread that I don't personally enjoy, but 90% of other people enjoy, then I will let you guys enjoy it. I'm not going to make a big stink about it. I'm not going to be calling it a shit thread just because I don't enjoy it. I have no place to decide whether you guys get to enjoy a thread or not, so I will just let you guys do your thing. And that leads me to my next topic.

-----

This whole "DERAIL" meta needs to stop. First of all, who the fuck are you to decide whether a thread is terrible, to a point where you have the urge to spam it till it dies? If you don't have anything interesting to post, then DON'T POST ANYTHING AT ALL. Just let the thread die out on its own if nobody wants to participate in it. There is no need for you to act like incompetent retards. You guys are just ruining people's chances to participate in a thread that they might potentially want to engage with. Posting lyrics of a song, or turning it into a personal chatroom with your friends is not interesting or fun AT ALL. You guys are turning threads that still technically have potential, into shit threads.

Derailing also scares away potential newcomers to Off-Topic. If the first thing that someone sees when they come to OT is people spamming lyrics or whatever type of "derail" it is, then they will most likely not come back and participate. 99% of people do not find it fun to be an inept shitposter, who lacks originality, and resorts to spamming threads to "derail" them. It's not interesting, it's not fun, it's boring.

-----

Listen, jokes aside, I'm fine with you guys being weebs or furries or whatever. I honestly don't care and I personally don't have anything against people who are interested in that type of stuff. But eventually, it gets to a point where it's too much. We get it, you love anime. Maybe you are really into furries or something else. But guess what? In the real world, nobody fucking cares. If your entire personality revolves around you being obsessed with a certain thing, then you are not going to be a likable person. The only type of people you will ever attract are people with the same annoying personality traits as you. I think a lot of you degens really need a reality check when it comes to this. I am seeing way too many people that are extremely overbearing with their interests. You're not unique, you're not likable, you're not special. Learn to socialize like a normal human being.

Being overbearing with your interests that not everybody is interested in will scare people off. The only people that will want to participate in Off-Topic at that point are people that have the same interests as the majority of people here. That may seem like a good thing to some of you guys, but it definitely is not a good thing for the health and longevity of Off-Topic and it's denizens.

-----

Off-Topic is in part dying due to our lack of diversity. Diversity is a good thing that promotes the healthy growing of one's opinions and interests. If everybody in OT is a carbon copy of each other, then nobody will be here to check you when you're acting like fools.

Off-Topic in it's current state is an echo chamber filled with people who dislike adversity. If everyone here is scared of confrontation, it will end up leading everyone to a false perception that their belief is not in any way flawed. I know for a fact that plenty of people dislike the "derail" meta, and numerous amounts of other things currently in Off-Topic, but due to the fact that noone wants to be confrontational, this kind of behavior has been going unchecked. There's nothing wrong with valid criticism or a differing of opinions. Stop being afraid of such things.

-----

It's time for some of you to start acting mature and grow the fuck up. I used to browse Off-Topic because it was a fun place to talk with all sorts of people. I made plenty of friends and had some great times here. Nowadays, I find it a chore to browse this forum. The lack of effort and blatant disregard for others around here is incredibly disappointing.

I'm open to criticism if you guys want to give any.

Oh yeah, don't forget, Vote Penguin!
roufou
brave thread. I don't really have much interesting to add as commentary, although I also feel like people are inhibiting OT culture from growing or whatever with how whenever someone makes a "useless" thread people just resort to doing the same thing over and over. I don't necessarily blame people cause I can see how it's hard to add to an "useless" thread and make good engagement in it a lot of the time.

I don't know if people like the current state of OT or not, I can't tell if people complain jokingly or not, but I don't see anyone trying to change anything assuming it's true that people don't like it. Granted I feel like most people who use OT is fine with how it is now.

At the end of the day I will just say do what you will, I'm unlikely to help myself. I don't really contribute anything good and only partake when I'm exceedingly bored. Sorry!
WitherMite
Yea, ive had a really hard time figuring out what would make a good thread, since while yea, I like to watch anime, im more on what would be called the "normie" side, and for the most part I dont have "waifus", am not a furry, and honestly dgaf about vtubers. the fact that any of the threads I make could easily just turn into spam threads if im not careful makes it even harder to want to make any. being socially disabled doesnt help either tbh.

Ive probably been participating in the derail meta a bit too often now that I think about it, and it definitely isnt helping the forum any, so I'll try to stop.
pentaqola
huh! actually... decided to check out how it is. oddly enough, you are most certainly right.

i personally am no expert in posting good threads in ot at all, after all i just get some simple topic and slap some weird shit in my thoughts about it. judging from how it is, it's probably really neutral in quality since it's more of a look at op's thoughts and turn away. really wish there were people criticizing my threads, all i wanna do is create some good fever dream type of threads.

i actually just realized my fault for posting lyrics mostly because other people did it to the poor thread. i don't even have a valid reason to do exactly that.

as for uhh... the degen stuff... may i become one with your brain? i literally extremely agree with this. sure, there are some point where i reach that level for sure, but i would NEVER want my personality and identity to be: person obsessed with *insert character or thing*

you get my vote, thats it-
Sugar_owo
i agree with everything above me

maybe..
Nuuskamuikkunen
And that's how gen 7 went to its sad ending. (?
Now onto the

The Simpsons predicted the fate of OT!11!1!

Jokes aside, I agree in part of this, personally (just a mine thing) I would have worded it in a different way, in my case no one irl knows I'm a furry and I am perfectly aware that not everyone is into the fandom and that not everyone is a huuuge anime fan either, most people here do have a normal life outside their hobbies, in fact I like that this place is one of the few places on the internet that furries and weebs haven't been fighting each other for childish and ridiculous reasons like in 90% of the internet.

I in a few cases would have liked to participate in a thread that had been derailed, the milkshake one had potential to be a good thread if it was done right for example. I have seen that some active people have been demotivated from posting in OT! again, they had bad threads, sure, but we were sort of harsh with them.
Lights
Well stated.
Cerno

pentaqola wrote:

you get my vote, thats it-
same lmao, but i cant vote.. if i could ill def vote Penguin

i agree with most of the stuff up there though, but i just woke up so im to lazy to type out opinions and stuff
abraker
*sigh*

Time since last incident: 8 months
YyottaCat
From our current community, I don't think there is a lot of potential to diversity. Many posts don't even have actual content these days. I don't think people are even trying to post.
WitherMite

YyottaCat wrote:

From our current community, I don't think there is a lot of potential to diversity. Many posts don't even have actual content these days. I don't think people are even trying to post.
yea, but penguins point is that instantly derailing anyone else's threads when we cant think of anything to add to the thread, when it hasnt even had time to mature a bit gatekeeps any new people from joining and destroys diversity, and like I said, the derailing probably is the biggest reason a lot of people arent making threads often.
Westonini

abraker wrote:

*sigh*

lmao, i knew exactly which thread this was gonna be.
Nuuskamuikkunen

Now, if this doesn't disturb anyone, I'll be taking this image.

Now, while both threads are complaining about the decline of OT!, they are complaining for two different reasons: the point of Tad's thread is rather complaining about new denizens posting bad content, while penguin states that there's a lack of interest from new denizens due to thread derailing made by other denizens.
Topic Starter
Penguin

abraker wrote:

*sigh*

There's a MASSIVE difference between a thread made with little effort complaining about "shitposts" and a thread that goes into detail giving constructive criticism about recent events and things that I view as a blight in Off-Topic. This is less of a "wahh too many shitposts" thread and more of a "there's a ton of shitty behavior going on recently in OT" type of thread.

pentaqola wrote:

i personally am no expert in posting good threads in ot at all, after all i just get some simple topic and slap some weird shit in my thoughts about it. judging from how it is, it's probably really neutral in quality since it's more of a look at op's thoughts and turn away. really wish there were people criticizing my threads, all i wanna do is create some good fever dream type of threads.
Personally, I enjoy your threads. Again, quality is relatively subjective, but your threads seem to be made with some sort of effort and have potential for people to enjoy themselves while posting in them. Very reminiscent of Serrai

femboy mapper wrote:

brave thread.
I wish this type of thing wasn't seen as "brave", but unfortunately, it is. Like I said in my post, people are too scared to be confrontational.

WitherMite wrote:

the fact that any of the threads I make could easily just turn into spam threads if im not careful makes it even harder to want to make any.
This is a perfect example of what I mean by scaring away new people. It's really sad when a denizen is worried about making a thread because it might be met with "derailers"

Lights wrote:

Well stated.

YyottaCat wrote:

I agree that it is, for the most part, very difficult to diversify a ton due to osu! being extremely popular with a certain group of people, but it's not impossible. With that being said, it does make it a lot more difficult with the current state of things in OT.

Westonini wrote:

hello Mr cowboy
pentaqola

Westonini wrote:

abraker wrote:

*sigh*

eventually its going to be much less until everyone starts fleeing

also holy shite penguin approve my threads omg *flustered*
WitherMite

eblf2013 wrote:

Now, while both threads are complaining about the decline of OT!, they are complaining for two different reasons: the point of Tad's thread is rather complaining about new denizens posting bad content, while penguin states that there's a lack of interest from new denizens due to thread derailing made by other denizens.
then if you go a level deeper, serrai links to this thread: community/forums/topics/616424

which talks about derailing.
Nuuskamuikkunen

WitherMite wrote:

eblf2013 wrote:

then if you go a level deeper, serrai links to this thread: community/forums/topics/616424

which talks about derailing.
This thread made me notice something:

People from 4th generation were way more chaotic.

Serraionga wrote:

i don't see why would we need more people to apply for GMT when current OT has been incredibly tame for the entirety of 2019 and 2020

just because abraker is the only one that can properly manage this thread(s) doesn't mean we need more mods. things are fine as they are
As of now, OT! seems to be fine with just abraker moderating, but seemingly more gmts were needed in that era.
qwt
Bro your really ranting about an internet forum...
ClevelandsMyBro

Tubby Custard wrote:

deal with it fam
WitherMite

Tubby Custard wrote:

...thats been around for over a decade, because people kinda cared a bit.

people are allowed to care about things dude. if people didnt care about things that dont matter there would be no osu, there wouldnt be any good maps to play, and the game wouldve died forever ago.
show more