forum

Circle size

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
pishifat
this thread is an addition to community/forums/topics/1020515 (allowing use of CS 0-1 and 8-10)

my initial reply involved adding new content to the RC so i'm moving it to this new thread:

pishifat wrote:

im seeing lots of posts here about cs higher than 7 being mostly unreasonable to play, but also that it shouldn't be forbidden because tiny circles are useful in a handful of cases

it may help to have something like the last line here in the osu! diff specific rc:

this could allow the cases taht people say necessitate tiny circles, like this one that keeps coming up, while ideally stopping people from doing it for the Lols and making essentially unplayable maps
adding only something to Expert about cs would be a bit weird though, so i'd probably go with somehting like this
Easy: 4 or lower
Normal: 5 or lower
Hard: 6 or lower
Insane/Expert: 7 or lower

these are generally smaller circles than people use already, but if there's a reason someone wants to go even smaller, they should probably have a reason beyond "i feel like it". previously linked map would be one with a valid reason imo

i dont think there needs to be restrictions on cs0/1, but if someone thinks they're necessary i'd like to know why
Dialect
personally, i think that cs limitations should just be guidelines. someone can possibly make a good cs7 map that just happens to be an easy difficulty
Topic Starter
pishifat
they would be listed under "difficulty setting guidelines"
Dialect

pishifat wrote:

they would be listed under "difficulty setting guidelines"
ah i see

personally, we should be a bit cautious with cs8, as it's small, compared to cs0 - 1. maybe someone can introduce cool new gimmicks with >cs7 maps
Corne2Plum3
too small CS makes a bad gameplay, this is the reason why nobody use CS 6 or 7
Dialect
irre
clayton
too small CS on a map where it clearly doesn't fit makes for bad gameplay, that's why this would be a guideline.

looks good to me
Dialect
^

i agree with clayton here. if irre can make their maps good with cs7, then other mappers can too. i think the problem is the fact that there won't be any reasoning behind why cs7 is used. in most cases, cs7 maps are maps with low spacing, mainly because you have less space to click the circle. i think the only hard cs7 map with somewhat high spacing is probably rampage.

cs0 maps, on the other hand, have room for slider abuse leniency. i think i'll try mapping a 5-6* diff with cs0 and see how it goes.
Nao Tomori
i dont see the point of adding guidelines like these cuz every diff setting basically comes down to "i felt like it" - there's no song that *necessitates* the use of a a certain circle size, just various mapping techniques work better with big circle (streetlight manifesto alt stuff) or small circle (monstrata's kuroko thingy)

like the fact of the matter is that some guy is gonna rank a cs9 map and then everyones gonna be like why is this cs9 and there will be some giant essay that basically boils down to "i felt like ranking a cs9 map" and not having this as a guideline basically preempts that

nobody makes unironic cs7 hard diffs or whatever as is so why would they make cs8 or 9 hard diffs suddenly lol
clayton
the song doesn't necessitate any diff settings, but the difficulty of gameplay elements do, no? it'd be a guideline because (according to OP) CS over 4 is usually too much for Easy, and (according to the other thread) CS over 7 is usually too much for anything without specific care. the justification for breaking the guideline wouldn't be "I felt like ranking a CS9 map", it'd be "this map works well on CS9 and plays better than with CS<=7"

personally I don't think there's much of a point to CS guidelines, but the majority in the other thread did want something like this, and there's not really any harm in it. it's just clarifying expectations about CS that already exist, like you said.
clayton
so r we gucci or does anyone have issue with this still. I wanna get it in so we aren't blindly removing all circle size restrictions via the other thread. that one's blocked until this one goes in

https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/3687
Pennek
Looks good to me, can't find any obvious loopholes. Glad this is finally coming together
Irreversible
hi
clayton
it's ur time to shine
7ambda
CS10 Easy sounds pretty hype