forum

the grand edict: rules of Off-Topic (read before posting)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mahogany

B1rd wrote:

Topics about religion, politics, abortion et cetera have always been an OT thing. GD is for shitty "post your x" threads and similar. The "post one thread a day" rule is also completely unnecessary, people posting more than one thread a day was never harmful in the first place.
I'm agreeing with b1rd

it is the OT end times
kai99

Mahogany wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Topics about religion, politics, abortion et cetera have always been an OT thing. GD is for shitty "post your x" threads and similar. The "post one thread a day" rule is also completely unnecessary, people posting more than one thread a day was never harmful in the first place.
I'm agreeing with b1rd

it is the OT end times
even with these rules we'll save it
abraker
I imagine Eph will stop caring in a month. At least as far as keeping track of user statuses. It's cumbersome to do so.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
all of the GMT that care about off-topic will maintain it, not just me

so maybe like 2-3 people
abraker

Ephemeral wrote:

you may only post ONE thread per 24 hours. we don't care enough about this to track it to the hour but basically if you post multiple threads in a day, they'll be classed as shit threads and promptly disposed of.
I am not sure if this is good or bad. Probably bad. What if your 2nd thread is actually good? Kill it? Thay is akin to unranking a ranked map.

Ephemeral wrote:

games that involve forums (mafia, last person 2 post, mods vs admins, whatever) go to forum games. they count as your daily thread if you fuck up and post them in OT proper.
But you are still allowed to post them in non forum games OT, right? The OT Bingo's home is on OT, not forum games. It's been like that for two seasons and I'd like it to remain that way. Forum games subforum is a very different place, one I don't think the OT Bingo fits into.

Ephemeral wrote:

serious discussion topics go to general discussions. topics about religion, politics, abortion, etc et al all go to GD for semi-serious discussion. alternatively, don't have these discussions at all.
But I can still post in OT and have a serious discussion as a joke, right?
Ashton
I guess it depends how obvoius the joke is abraker. And how serious of the subject you're discussing as a joke.

Also, lower 24 hour posting to maybe 6 hours. 24 seem pretty harsh... I mean, for those unexiled...
DaddyCoolVipper
if you have a good thread idea after posting a not-so-good one, just wait until tomorrow. How is that so hard, abraker?

lowering it to 6 hours seems stupid as well. why do you feel the need to make so many threads? if you're spamming the forums, they're obviously not that well thought out or high quality, are they
Meah

Time to be creative!
abraker

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

if you have a good thread idea after posting a not-so-good one, just wait until tomorrow. How is that so hard, abraker?
It wasn't a good argument against it. I know this rule isn't that bad, but something inside me feels uneasy about it.
Ashton

daddycoolvipper wrote:

lowering it to 6 hours seems stupid as well. why do you feel the need to make so many threads? if you're spamming the forums, they're obviously not that well thought out or high quality, are they
Because this is a social community, and in a social community it's not fun to only bring up new topics every 24 hours. Also, if you post a new thread every 6 hours it's not "spamming". That's literally 2 threads per-day. Well, if you don't sleep :)
Endaris
It is pretty fun for me when I don't have to worry about all the threads I read today showing up on page 4 tomorrow.
It is much easier to keep track off, good OPs don't get flooded away in the blink of an eye.
That being said I wouldn't mind if the same person creates more than 1 quality thread within 24h but that happens like twice per year so it's ok.
Last but not least your opinion is of no significance at all because you're exiled. You have proven to be unwilling to adhere to any kind of ruleset so why are you even trying to discuss it?
B1rd
Scrolling down is not a real inconvenience to anyone, and being "exiled" is a completely arbitrary thing and has no bearing on the value on one's opinions.

These "rules" should be repealed immediately.
Meah
Proposal

Rather than 1 thread per day, can you change it into 1 thread per 18 hours interval?
Users can only post a new thread after 18 hours from their last one.
Luqanted
fuck this shit im out
ColdTooth

Luqanted wrote:

fuck this shit im out
Cyclohexane

Ephemeral wrote:

all of the GMT that care about off-topic will maintain it, not just me

so maybe like 2-3 people

could always be more :roll:
DJ Enetro
Ye, especially in FG
Zekks
OT!Club thread deleted smae
DJ Enetro
Well you were exiled so, not too much of a surprise
DaddyCoolVipper
I think OT has gotten a lot better because of the rule change.

People would spam shitloads of threads every day, and most of them were not even worth clicking on at all. Now there's less threads, and the ones that do exist are a lot less shit. No lock sprees needed either.
B1rd
There are less shit threads because there are less threads. You don't have to go through the inconvenience of scrolling through some threads at the cost of everyone else not being able to post what they like.
DaddyCoolVipper
Once every 24 hours

You're so dramatic about this it's unbearable
B1rd
And that's not the only rule. It includes anything deemed to be "too silly" or "too serious".
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
you've always been at the whim of my decisions as to what is silly and serious, nothing is new in that regard
DaddyCoolVipper
Exactly, that's basically why so many threads got locked in the first place. The 1 thread/day limit is pretty much the only real change, imo
B1rd

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

Exactly, that's basically why so many threads got locked in the first place. The 1 thread/day limit is pretty much the only real change, imo
How can you still suck up to the mods when half of the things you talk about would be banned if the rules were enforced to their full extent. Threads were randomly locked in the past, but it was definitely far from systematic.

Ephemeral wrote:

you've always been at the whim of my decisions as to what is silly and serious, nothing is new in that regard
I know, mods like you have always come into OT randomly and caused problems at arbitrary whims. Do you actually think you're helping anything, or are you just doing it for the fun of it?
DaddyCoolVipper
Probably because I know the rules aren't enforced to their full extent.
B1rd
How absurd. You want rules to stop people whom you don't like from posting, even if the rules will stop you from posting, but you just assume that they won't affect you for some reason.
DJ Enetro

B1rd wrote:

You want rules to stop people whom you don't like from posting,
Can you provide solid evidence of this?
DaddyCoolVipper
I'm completely fine with people only posting one thread per day regardless of who they are. I'm also fine with absolutely no politically-based threads being created anymore.

All of my political discussion is kept to ITT, where moderation is obviously going to occur more loosely, regardless of who you are.

What was the point of those assertions there, B1rd?
B1rd
I really don't care what rights you would give away, some men just like to lick the boot of authority. What I'm more concerned about it the posting rights of myself and everyone else.
DaddyCoolVipper
Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic over a forum having basic rules lol
DJ Enetro
Well B1rd you have unlimited thread posting but 1-a-day thread creating.

Maybe you want to make exceptions and modify for people who legit post quality? That's just my thoughts
Foxtrot
No exceptions. It would be unfair to the rest of the users.
Zain Sugieres
If people are too autistic and fail to simply use common sense as the rules, specific rules to counter their retarded behaviors need to be set.
DJ Enetro
One a day... reminds me of those medicinal pills lmao

Remember now, OT is an experiment, the edicts and what users do are the liquids and instructions to mix

Zain Sugieres wrote:

If people are too autistic and fail to simply use common sense as the rules, specific rules to counter their retarded behaviors need to be set.
This is why I made this.
abraker
@Ephemeral: Requesting to have thread posting slots similar to beatmapping. More good threads = less waiting time. What do you say?
DaddyCoolVipper

abraker wrote:

@Ephemeral: Requesting to have thread posting slots similar to beatmapping. More good threads = less waiting time. What do you say?
wtf are you talking about
DJ Enetro
Abraker, you gotta counter Hyerim

Hyerim wrote:

It would be unfair to the rest of the users.
Fhaye
I do not remember stating that?
show more