forum

the grand edict: rules of Off-Topic (read before posting)

posted
Total Posts
show more
levesterz

Canadian Baka wrote:

In beatmapping you can have 4 maps uploaded at a time, if your a supporter you can have 5, and for each ranked map you aquire the number rises. (I think it stops like 8).

I guess he means he wants to have "slots" for how many threads we can upload.
Strange i can upload 8 beatmap a time even without any rank map
Stefan
Yeah, this has been changed around a year ago, it works in both ways - having supporter gives you temporary some slots while you can increase it up to 10 (with ranked maps). Ranked maps permantely increases your available slots, up to 10.
Buster
thanks mr. Ephemeral

Edit: 69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Meah
I'm fine with this.
Mahogany
On second thoughts if it's making b1rd this mad I wholeheartedly support this new regime
Luqanted
i like this new rules of Off-Topic, but the problem here is that Off-Topic is dying or more like getting peaceful. and what's more is that it's making many people leave Off-Topic as well. (including me, but it's not because of the new rules or osu! related kekekkeke) i recommend Eph not changing this rules and making this shit permanent.

well since i'm about to leave osu! (i'm active at discord), i'll just leave my last message in this holy thread..

peace out.
Endaris

Canadian Baka wrote:

In beatmapping you can have 4 maps uploaded at a time, if your a supporter you can have 5, and for each ranked map you aquire the number rises. (I think it stops like 8).
These numbers are wrong in its entirety.
Ashton

Endaris wrote:

Canadian Baka wrote:

Well apparently it got changed a year ago, but these numbers were correct at one point in time.
Endaris

Canadian Baka wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Canadian Baka wrote:

Well apparently it got changed a year ago, but these numbers were correct at one point in time.

no
Ashton
Uhh?? They weren't?? I'm pretty positive it was like that. I know for sure non supporters with no ranked maps can only upload 4, I thought if you were supporter you could do 5 and each ranked map you get it adds a number. Apparently they updated it as stefan said

Stefan wrote:

Yeah, this has been changed around a year ago, it works in both ways - having supporter gives you temporary some slots while you can increase it up to 10 (with ranked maps). Ranked maps permantely increases your available slots, up to 10.
_handholding
@Endaris Canadian baka is actually right
Zekks
his will be slightly biased because I'm exiled (:) But instead of writing a whole paragraph, I'll just do it modding style! :D Yay!

Ephemeral wrote:

they're really simple. follow these and you'll have a good time (hopefully): No

1. you may only post ONE thread per 24 hours. we don't care enough about this to track it to the hour but basically if you post multiple threads in a day, they'll be classed as shit threads and promptly disposed of. I feel like this keeps OT dry and lack of memes :( I know that we have discord, but at least raise the limit to 3 threads per day to stop spam
  2. you can comment freely in any thread without limit. comment away. contribute, make stupid memes, do whatever, just do it in threads as comments, not comments as threads. SeemsGood
  3. games that involve forums (mafia, last person 2 post, mods vs admins, whatever) go to forum games. they count as your daily thread if you fuck up and post them in OT proper. Also seems good
  4. if your thread involves an open-ended question and the discussion thereof (what's your favorite anime waifu etc), it belongs in surveys. see above. Seems good too
  5. try to post entertaining and amusing content. OT is pretty much meant for silly discussions, so being a little silly is fine, but if your "silly" becomes indistinguishable from you actually being absolutely fucking stupid, you risk being exiled. This actually seems decent, but the only problem I have with this rule is the entertaining and amusing content part. Yes, it should still at least have interest, but not limiting it to "whatever Ephemeral finds interesting or funny, or else this will get locked."
  6. serious discussion topics go to general discussions. topics about religion, politics, abortion, etc et al all go to GD for semi-serious discussion. alternatively, don't have these discussions at all. SeemsGood
  7. birthday threads must have no less than 3 anime dancing gifs in the OP. you can get exiled for repeatedly ignoring this. it's important. don't ask why it's important, it just is. Stupid, birthday threads are birthday threads
  8. if you repeatedly break the rules of the grand edict, you risk being exiled.
k

what does being exiled mean exactly?

exiled users will have their threads locked and wastelanded immediately as soon as a moderator notices. they're still free to talk in other people's threads, but even that privilege will be revoked if they continue being shit.

if an exiled user decides they want to be funny and spam the fuck out of the forum with threads that they know will get closed, they risk getting silenced pretty heavily. they can still make their one-a-day thread without risk, but even that will be closed as soon as a mod notices.

conversation in threads made by exiled users is a short-time thing, you can do it if you want, but it will never actually remain visible for more than a few hours at most.

after a while of being exiled and chatting relatively nicely in other people's threads, an exiled user might be returned to normal. maybe, but probably not. they got exiled in the first place for being a bastion of shit, so they're unlikely to change. Exiled users shouldn't have to be exiled FOREVER, they should have a 1-3 week sentence of being exiled, if they have good behavior (like you said) they won't be exiled anymore

current exiled users:

Luqanted (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3645130)
roshan117 (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/8261665)
Canadian Baka (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7880197)
[ - Zekks - ] (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/8106958)

users in danger of being exiled:

nobody, for now.
DaddyCoolVipper
You barely replied to his post there. Terrible modding skills! Also, don't fuck with the rules when it comes to birthday threads. The dancing anime gifs are vital.
Blitzfrog

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

Also, don't fuck with the rules when it comes to birthday threads. The dancing anime gifs are vital.
I second this
abraker

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

You barely replied to his post there. Terrible modding skills! Also, don't fuck with the rules when it comes to birthday threads. The dancing anime gifs are vital.
By the way, when did those become a thing?
Blitzfrog

abraker wrote:

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

It was always a thing

No one had to say things were made of energy before that was a true.

Same with the necessity of dancing anime gifs in a happy birthday thread.

The similarity between these 2 things are that they are true no matter what the person believe. Things are made of energy. Dancing anime gifs are a necessity in a birthday thread.
abraker

Blitzfrog wrote:

Get you and your lousy semantics out of here
Blitzfrog

abraker wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

Get you and your lousy kinematics out of here
Ftfy
DaddyCoolVipper

abraker wrote:

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

Tradition since OT began.
Foxtrot
jeez, you guys make it sound more grand than what it is. we just got tired of having joke birthday threads so we spammed them with dancing gifs, same goes for goodbye threads.
Blitzfrog

Foxtrot wrote:

jeez, you guys make it sound more grand than what it is.
Did you just say dancing anime gifs are not grand.
Are you brain dead?
Dancing anime gifs are the real trash. How do you even celebrate ones birthday without 3 cute anime girls dancing for you?
Foxtrot

Blitzfrog wrote:

Did you just say dancing anime gifs are not grand.
Are you brain dead?
when did i say that. i never implied that they weren't good.

Blitzfrog wrote:

Dancing anime gifs are the real trash. How do you even celebrate ones birthday without 3 cute anime girls dancing for you?
by drinking

a lot
Blitzfrog

Foxtrot wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

by drinking

a lot
You got me.

You got me good.
DJ Enetro

Blitzfrog wrote:

Get you and your lousy derailing antics out of here
FTFY DEAL WITH IT
kai99

why 2
Zekks

kai99 wrote:

why 2
Because it's Ephemeral who decides what's funny or not
Meah
Revive and renovate old topics for the exiled users
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
questioning exile strikes gets you exile strikes

(hint: are the strikes in the OP or not)
Foxtrot

Ephemeral wrote:

no!
kai99
oh

lmao

u got me
Yuudachi-kun

[ - Zekks - ] wrote:

kai99 wrote:

why 2
Because it's Ephemeral who decides what's funny or not
Rule 555: No critical of osuino
johnmedina999
Thanks for the invisible rules!
abraker

Ephemeral wrote:

But can I question the questioning of exile strikes getting you exile strikes and not get an exile strike?
semaphore
He Dabbed On That Nigga Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blitzfrog

abraker wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

But can I question the questioning of exile strikes getting you exile strikes and not get an exile strike?
Only if you exclaim it
DJ Enetro

Ephemeral wrote:

If you're gonna be this frivolous at least make the rules visible and update the exile list, not everyone utilizes common sense
kai99
eph marry me.
Blitzfrog
Ephemeral x kai99

Shipped
kai99
same
DJ Enetro
Let's try to copy Zekks and escalate quality exponentially. Two weeks in, let me spill the beans:

Ephemeral wrote:

they're really simple. follow these and you'll have a good time (hopefully):

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A SATIRE NOR IS IT BASHING EPHEMERAL IN ANY WAY. IF ANYTHING, THIS IS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.
  1. you may only post ONE thread per 24 hours. we don't care enough about this to track it to the hour but basically if you post multiple threads in a day, they'll be classed as shit threads and promptly disposed of.
    Wasn't too happy about this but tbh it literally changed my life imo, as it enabled me to spend more time on Duolingo and IXL, and to wake up to real life. TBH it gave me more chances to SHUT THE ACTUAL FUCK UP and FUCKING LISTEN TO OTHERS FOR AT LEAST 15 MIN. gonna have to thank him for making this rule and actually pissing me off so I can actually learn some fucking thing... for some reason it seems that I'm forced into W-L situations: one where I'm sad and everyone else is happy, and the other where I'm happy and everyone else isn't. :kms:
  2. you can comment freely in any thread without limit. comment away. contribute, make stupid memes, do whatever, just do it in threads as comments, not comments as threads.
    this can give way to derails though, like the ones Blitzfrog and Meah do on a common basis For no-common sense people out there, a topic is said to be "derailed" if it goes off topic. This can happen due to uninteresting topics, or hated people. Case in point: take my "how to prevent locks and exiles" and "Let's get serious for once" threads. The first one contains a 4-entry locklist on Ephemeral on off-topic, meant to improve. Reminds me of that guy who told me to leave the hotel when I was checked in and walking around at 11:50P PST, not a cool guy. Yet.
    Anyway, for my other thread, Meah derailed it with bookmark revealing, Granted it was at first a Taiga satire but tbh no one really told me to stop, because of the false assumption of common sense - IM NOT SAYING THAT IT'S BAD, IM SAYING THAT NOT EVERYONE HAS OT AND IF SO, YOU GOTTA TRACH THEM WHAT THAT COMMON SENSE IT TO THE LAST DETAIL. But the comment freely in any thread was a given tbh, just not spamming. (Tfw you realize you need to get a higher level of common sense)

3. games that involve forums (mafia, last person 2 post, mods vs admins, whatever) go to forum games. they count as your daily thread if you fuck up and post them in OT proper.fair enough imo, but as johnmedina999 pointed out in his MSPA:OTE thread, some games can't actually go in FG. Some of these can actually be spam bins for those lackeys (sorry for insulting) without common sense
  4. if your thread involves an open-ended question and the discussion thereof (what's your favorite anime waifu etc), it belongs in surveys. see above.It makes sense why you would say this but you're talking about polls imo, which is good. But abraker' sagacious question threads are VERY EVALUATIVE, sparking a lot of discussion, so can you really put that in surveys?
  5. try to post entertaining and amusing content. OT is pretty much meant for silly discussions, so being a little silly is fine, but if your "silly" becomes indistinguishable from you actually being absolutely fucking stupid, you risk being exiled.I think this kinda sets the boundary line but it's kinda hazy. You have the right ideas but you need to define what is being stupid. Imo I'd say that it's spamming new topics or posts, - like my Satires sadly - not really a survey but tbh I could've just made one thread but Flan locked the first one. Getting messages is hard, so bear with me.
  6. serious discussion topics go to general discussions. topics about religion, politics, abortion, etc et al all go to GD for semi-serious discussion. alternatively, don't have these discussions at all.again, trying to set the line here. But as abraker writes,

abraker wrote:

idk how the fuck to be creative - 85% of the OT population in a nutshell
    But this probably ties back to being creative. Creativity isn't given to anyone - it's developed like any other trait any human has.
  7. birthday threads must have no less than 3 anime dancing gifs in the OP. you can get exiled for repeatedly ignoring this. it's important. don't ask why it's important, it just is.I mean, I don't honestly mind doing this but I still have no idea why - deal with it, I have a right of free speech - :thonkang:
    Maybe it's to improve spirit? But GIFs, are they - along with the rest of the rules, really that vital to maintaining decent quality? Quality can be achieved with only text and BBcode minus YT and pics and URLs...

8. if you repeatedly break the rules of the grand edict, you risk being exiled.
what does being exiled mean exactly?

exiled users will have their threads locked and wastelanded immediately as soon as a moderator notices. they're still free to talk in other people's threads, but even that privilege will be revoked if they continue being shit.meaning restrictions. Got it. At least I tried to wake up by stopping Satires at the least. (TFW you try to let go :kms:) I mean, you don't have to lock, just WL it, unless WL without locks means that people can still access with the URL

if an exiled user decides they want to be funny and spam the fuck out of the forum with threads that they know will get closed, they risk getting silenced pretty heavily. they can still make their one-a-day thread without risk, but even that will be closed as soon as a mod notices.imo it takes patience. You don't force attention to make others like you or your posts, or get on OT!news. But you gotta try and give them a feeling of what quality is - you can't force common sense values. You just can't. But one-a-day threads by exiled users are already closed by default. So

conversation in threads made by exiled users is a short-time thing, you can do it if you want, but it will never actually remain visible for more than a few hours at most. fair enough BC conversation can be made in what, other subforums, or text and voice chat servers like discord.

after a while of being exiled and chatting relatively nicely in other people's threads, an exiled user might be returned to normal. maybe, but probably not. they got exiled in the first place for being a bastion of shit, so they're unlikely to change.I appreciate you're giving second chances but you can't say "unlikely to change" - they don't even know how to shitpost properly, because they have not been TAUGHT how to.

current exiled users:

Luqanted (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3645130)
roshan117 (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/8261665)
Canadian Baka (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7880197)
[ - Zekks - ] (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/8106958)
10/10
users in danger of being exiled:

Blitzfrog - one strike please add Yuudachi-Kim's 2 strikes and tell us where Blitz received his.

Few points I wanna say before this post ends:

Allmynamestaken wrote:

If you're asking on how to shitpost then I think you shouldn't be shitposting at all.

Railey2 wrote:

everyone who can't even think this far on their own must have a REALLY simple mind and should therefore not be allowed to post threads as they would be equally simple and uninteresting (aka what we call trash).
Happens... sometimes simple is quality on its own tho. You gotta give people chances, to at least try once a week or so, if not once a day.

Foxtrot wrote:

Please read before you post.
This helps to prevent misunderstandings, along with spelling corrections. (Grammar too lol)
I'm willing to see all of your takes on this. Now that I think of this, I can sort all of OT out into Freestylers and Beautifiers.
show more