forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
wailord2700
my pp got deducted by 13 after i got 99.25% on a hard map with no mod. whats happening ;_;
pangestukelvin
i've got top 45 then my rank decreased by 700..
seems really confused with new ranking system.. ._.
Squigly

Tom94 wrote:

Squigly wrote:

These are a few things that have bothered me too the point where i really want to make a post about it....mainly complaining about it, so i can atleast get some sense out of it. I dont really want to be told why this happens for i know how the system is working right now i want to know why it is the way it is for this is clearly flawed.

This is just today, but it happens on a regular basis, i played this beatmap for example, got a decent combo stacked up and a decent score yet i had 87% accuracy, and the accuracy is basically what caused me to lose ranks after playing this. Considering my rank of 15k and the fact i did that well on it, i was very unhappy with being rewarded by losing ranks.
at this point im tired, so i decided to 3 mod a normal beatmap, why not right? Apparently thats a bad idea too, for getting a rank of 282 of 6900 must be bad, i lost even more ranks than for the previous one.
this keeps happening to me, and has been happening to me for weeks and weeks and i kept telling myself that this would be fixed but apparently not for i keep gaining and losing my ranks for no reason at all. IM half scared to post this because its mostly complaining but im too unhappy with all of these that i just need to.
You're not gaining any pp, because appearently you already have many, many plays of that kind of level. Try to get better scores on harder maps if you want to further increase your pp. ;)

Keep in mind, that scores with many misses and a low accuracy are not considered a good performance, regardless of map. You shouldn't get pp for getting a D on big black + DT + NoFail, too, as an extreme example.

The reason you are losing ranks is that other people don't just stop improving. If people surpass your pp, then they rank up and you rank down. Nothing to do with the scores you set.
i understand people dont stop improving, i was playing maps all day, i thought this was going to boost be significantly, like i stated before, i do better than people under 10k, explain it to me please. i lose ranks for doing good and gain ranks for doing bad. And one thing, personally i believe that making it so rank on a beatmap doesnt matter is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
Full Tablet

NixXSkate wrote:

http://osutp.net/scores?pn=Winshley&bn=paraparamax
That map requires almost no aim at all, and it is pretty slow.

As for the accuracy. OD5 is relatively low.
According to the "expected unstable rate" formula:
SSing paraparaMAX is comparable to SSing a 2-minute Insane OD7 with 435 circles (considering you can retry paraparaMAX 2 times per hour of playing without breaks, and you can retry the Insane map 30 times).
Or SSing paraparaMAX is comparable to SSing an Insane OD7 with 105 circles (assuming each map was played only once and there weren't "lucky" plays).
Topic Starter
Tom94

wailord2700 wrote:

my pp got deducted by 13 after i got 99.25% on a hard map with no mod. whats happening ;_;
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog?category=performance

Squigly wrote:

i understand people dont stop improving, i was playing maps all day, i thought this was going to boost be significantly, like i stated before, i do better than people under 10k, explain it to me please. i lose ranks for doing good and gain ranks for doing bad. And one thing, personally i believe that making it so rank on a beatmap doesnt matter is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
It doesn't matter how many maps you are playing if you don't play on par to your best scores. The system is supposed to rate how good you are performing, not how much you are performing. There is only a limited amount of pp you can gain by playing maps of the same level.

Considering the rank on a beatmap doesn't work for one simple reason: There are maps which have been played more than 1000 times as often as others, so simply taking the map rank into account doesn't work. "Consider map rank relative to total plays on the map then!", you might say, but that also doesn't work, because the better players tend to only play the harder maps, so the competition on easier maps is far more forgiving than on the harder maps.
Kunino Sagiri

Squigly wrote:

I'd share my personal experience since you seem troubled and we happen to have almost the same rank at least back then. Now I'm rank 9950+

FROM A RANK 15K PERSPECTIVE

so you're rank 15k (181Xpp).... almost perfectly the same rank I had 2 months (not sure) ago starting from the drastic change in pp (some time after the ppv2 testing). I tested a little on maps by getting SS on a hard and my pp didn't budge an inch. When I put an HD mod and got an SSH, it budged for like... 4 pp or something and it even got inside top 500 but at least there's improvement. Trimodding XH Normal maps even on top 50 doesn't give anything

Observation: Don't bother going no mod on Hard mode beatmaps
Don't bother playing Normal mode maps (unless you want to get a #1, if you can)

And when I DT a hard, SS it and got it even outside the top 500 range, you'd get 15 pp at the very least but I didn't chose this route. Instead, I went straight to FC'ing insanes/lunatics with a low acc HRHD on top 50 like this one http://osu.ppy.sh/b/173567?m=0 or a 99.50+ HD on players in the top 40-50 like this one http://osu.ppy.sh/b/263270?m=0. I made a mental note that these kinds of maps gives a lot of pp when 99%'d AND as long as it got inside 1000 (of course this should be obvious already, it's an "insane" map with a high number of combo so it'd give a bunch of pp for a low rank)

Observation: Certain insane maps with top 50s having a low acc HRHD (97% above) and FC'ing them nets you good amounts of pp
Certain insane maps with top 50s having high acc HD (99% above) and FC'ing them nets you even better amounts of pp

MOST IMPORTANT NOTE: get your rank inside 1000 as often as possible

And also, tryharding maps like Fear and Loathing..., Wahrheit, Goreshit ,"most" marathon maps or other very hard maps would rarely give you a "good amount" of pp if you can't FC them or at least get a decent combo. Maybe you'd get like 2-10pp but that's it.

I gained 300+ pp since the start of using my methods and I'm still slacking
Squigly

Tom94 wrote:

wailord2700 wrote:

Squigly wrote:

It doesn't matter how many maps you are playing if you don't play on par to your best scores. The system is supposed to rate how good you are performing, not how much you are performing. There is only a limited amount of pp you can gain by playing maps of the same level.

Considering the rank on a beatmap doesn't work for one simple reason: There are maps which have been played more than 1000 times as often as others, so simply taking the map rank into account doesn't work. "Consider map rank relative to total plays on the map then!", you might say, but that also doesn't work, because the better players tend to only play the harder maps, so the competition on easier maps is far more forgiving than on the harder maps.
ive been playing and beating the harder maps in the game, people of my rank cant do it and people who are much higher than me cant do it either, just awake is not an easy beatmap to play at all to get a B on it isnt even that bad, im certainly no pro player but losing ranks from this? seriously? there are definitly balancing issues if that isnt considered a hard map. This is all i want to point out, i know like no one who has beaten dance with a number at my rank, regardless of my accuracy on it (which was awful) i didnt gain a single thing from it. Its not an easy accomplishment, especially fro someone of my rank.

After reading other posts i want to point out that i dont want to know how this works, i know how the system works, im trying to point out how much of a flaw this is that accuracy is so heavily weighted that i can lose ranks from doing well on beatmaps. But if it truly isnt going to9 affect your decisions with where to take this then i guess ill simply just stop.
Bergrizen
So I just lost 12pp after playing a map I had only played once before (about 3 minutes prior to that to be exact). I improved both my accuracy (and had fewer misses) and my combo. Also I didn't get any pp for my previous performance.
It's not a hard map at all and it was just to get warmed up really so I'm kind of confused as to what happened, I didn't expect it to influence my pp at all.

http://puu.sh/7iTA7.png

It doesn't bother me too much because pp isn't exactly important around my level but I thought I'd let you know since afaik PPv2 doesn't punish you for bad performances except when you overwrite an old score with worse accuracy etc.

If it was just due to another pp recalculation, please point me to the appropriate changelog entry.

Edit: Also, you did a great job on the new system overall, I haven't encountered any problems before this and I think it portrays my performance a lot better than PPv1 did, though I still feel like osu! thinks of me as a better player than I actually am.
FabulousCupcake

Yasaburo wrote:

So I just lost 12pp after playing a map I had only played once before (about 3 minutes prior to that to be exact). I improved both my accuracy (and had fewer misses) and my combo. Also I didn't get any pp for my previous performance.
It's not a hard map at all and it was just to get warmed up really so I'm kind of confused as to what happened, I didn't expect it to influence my pp at all.

http://puu.sh/7iTA7.png

It doesn't bother me too much because pp isn't exactly important around my level but I thought I'd let you know since afaik PPv2 doesn't punish you for bad performances except when you overwrite an old score with worse accuracy etc.

If it was just due to another pp recalculation, please point me to the appropriate changelog entry.

Edit: Also, you did a great job on the new system overall, I haven't encountered any problems before this and I think it portrays my performance a lot better than PPv1 did, though I still feel like osu! thinks of me as a better player than I actually am.
Just happened to me as well; strange.
PP dropped by ±18 after doing this. If anything, shouldn't it increase instead of decreasing? :?
PP recalculation?

——

Ah, performance update. Perhaps some recalculation was done.
Novixion

Squigly wrote:

And one thing, personally i believe that making it so rank on a beatmap doesnt matter is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
Sorry, but that was the last system where farmers could prevail and FL was supreme.

Squigly wrote:

ive been playing and beating the harder maps in the game, people of my rank cant do it and people who are much higher than me cant do it either, just awake is not an easy beatmap to play at all to get a B on it isnt even that bad, im certainly no pro player but losing ranks from this? seriously? there are definitly balancing issues if that isnt considered a hard map. This is all i want to point out, i know like no one who has beaten dance with a number at my rank, regardless of my accuracy on it (which was awful) i didnt gain a single thing from it. Its not an easy accomplishment, especially fro someone of my rank.

After reading other posts i want to point out that i dont want to know how this works, i know how the system works, im trying to point out how much of a flaw this is that accuracy is so heavily weighted that i can lose ranks from doing well on beatmaps
Tom already discussed this on a previous post:

Tom's reply to your last post

Tom94 wrote:

Squigly wrote:

These are a few things that have bothered me too the point where i really want to make a post about it....mainly complaining about it, so i can atleast get some sense out of it. I dont really want to be told why this happens for i know how the system is working right now i want to know why it is the way it is for this is clearly flawed.

This is just today, but it happens on a regular basis, i played this beatmap for example, got a decent combo stacked up and a decent score yet i had 87% accuracy, and the accuracy is basically what caused me to lose ranks after playing this. Considering my rank of 15k and the fact i did that well on it, i was very unhappy with being rewarded by losing ranks.
at this point im tired, so i decided to 3 mod a normal beatmap, why not right? Apparently thats a bad idea too, for getting a rank of 282 of 6900 must be bad, i lost even more ranks than for the previous one.
this keeps happening to me, and has been happening to me for weeks and weeks and i kept telling myself that this would be fixed but apparently not for i keep gaining and losing my ranks for no reason at all. IM half scared to post this because its mostly complaining but im too unhappy with all of these that i just need to.
You're not gaining any pp, because appearently you already have many, many plays of that kind of level. Try to get better scores on harder maps if you want to further increase your pp. ;)

Keep in mind, that scores with many misses and a low accuracy are not considered a good performance, regardless of map. You shouldn't get pp for getting a D on big black + DT + NoFail, too, as an extreme example.

The reason you are losing ranks is that other people don't just stop improving. If people surpass your pp, then they rank up and you rank down. Nothing to do with the scores you set.
Accuracy is indeed heavily weighted but it does not determine everything. It is mainly a tie breaker like it should be.
FabulousCupcake

Novixion wrote:

Accuracy is indeed heavily weighted but it does not determine everything. It is mainly a tie breaker like it should be.
I once did 98%, gained a couple of pp, great.
Then I replayed it with Hidden mod, 96% accuracy, but score is higher than the previous one, lost around half of it.
I am not quite satisfied with this... but it can't be helped I think; only the highest score is stored and used as the pp calculation.
Novixion

s4nji wrote:

Novixion wrote:

Then I replayed it with Hidden mod, 96% accuracy, but score is higher than the previous one, lost around half of it.
I am... not quite satisfied with this?
The amount of points gained is exponential from 96->97->98->99->100. So if you lose accuracy, you lose points, usually.
GoldenWolf

s4nji wrote:

I am not quite satisfied with this... but it can't be helped I think; only the highest score is stored and used as the pp calculation.
The thing is, when you get like 99.9% on a ~1000 objects map, that's like 1x100, right?
Now if you get 99.8%, that doesn't seem like a big difference, but it's 2x100, which is twice more 100s
99.7% would be 3x100, which is 3 times as more 100s, etc etc

And HD does nothing to compensate this, as accuracy isn't any harder with this mod, so the small aim bonus you'd get with it is outbalanced by the heavy loss of accuracy
Topic Starter
Tom94

Squigly wrote:

After reading other posts i want to point out that i dont want to know how this works, i know how the system works, im trying to point out how much of a flaw this is that accuracy is so heavily weighted that i can lose ranks from doing well on beatmaps. But if it truly isnt going to9 affect your decisions with where to take this then i guess ill simply just stop.
You can't lose pp from getting new scores as long as you don't beat an old score with worse accuracy / miss count or a recalculation is happening, period.
The ranks you are losing do not come from making a new score, but from other people surpassing your rank. Your rank is merely not updated all the time, but only periodically and when you make a score.

Let me repeat once again, the system rates the quality of your performance. It is not intended to give a lot of points to plays on hard maps which you can barely pass. Imagine playing the piano. You don't perform in a concert with a damn hard piece, that you can barely play with quite a lot of mistakes.

And yeah, the difficulty judgement is not perfect, so you might find a few maps not getting rated 100% perfectly. Many of val's low-spacing high BPM maps like "with a dance number" or "scarlet rose" are underrated. :/
NixXSkate

Full Tablet wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

http://osutp.net/scores?pn=Winshley&bn=paraparamax
That map requires almost no aim at all, and it is pretty slow.

As for the accuracy. OD5 is relatively low.
According to the "expected unstable rate" formula:
SSing paraparaMAX is comparable to SSing a 2-minute Insane OD7 with 435 circles (considering you can retry paraparaMAX 2 times per hour of playing without breaks, and you can retry the Insane map 30 times).
Or SSing paraparaMAX is comparable to SSing an Insane OD7 with 105 circles (assuming each map was played only once and there weren't "lucky" plays).
No it doesn't compare, stop smoking. SSing an Insane OD7 that's only 2 minutes sightread is absolutely totally incomparable unless your patience is absolutely unlimited then MAYBE. Actually no it definitely doesn't still.
Also do you seriously think an SS on an old 30 minute map should be only 26 acc tp? Only 2 people could SS it despite its popularity for a reason. Also the AR is the same as the OD. Might not mean shit in tp, but it certainly doesn't help.
Wishy
After 50 pages people still haven't been able to understand:

1- You can't lose pp. If you happen to lose pp it's because there is some update going on or you beat one of your scores with another one that's worth less pp than your old one (dunno if this has been fixed yet, make ranks based on pp earned pls like osu!tp, ranked score is crap).

2- Rank does not mean pp, it's not the same to lose some ranks that to lose pp.

3- A map is not hard because you think it's hard, most osu! players can't even clear hard maps, like it or not the system needs to set up a standard, even if that means to hurt you because it constantly reminds you that you suck. If you are good you should be able, if interested, to climb through the ranks.

Just be patient, don't try to rush things, focus on getting better, that's the best way to get to a higher position, unless you are willing to really try hard.

4- You don't need to know how the system works to get better ranks, you need to play better, no way around it.
Sal32

Wishy wrote:

You don't need to know how the system works to get better ranks, you need to play better, no way around it.
Totally agree
GhostFrog

NixXSkate wrote:

Only 2 people could SS it despite its popularity for a reason.
Unfortunately, a very large part of that reason is the ridiculously awful timing of the map, which pp doesn't and shouldn't account for.

I'm not saying Winshley's play wasn't more impressive than its tp value indicates - the difficulties involved just aren't something pp measures.
Kunino Sagiri

Wishy wrote:

If you happen to lose pp it's because there is some update going on or you beat one of your scores with another one that's worth less pp than your old one (dunno if this has been fixed yet, make ranks based on pp earned pls like osu!tp, ranked score is crap).
Then how about getting a new rank on a random insane, then getting inside rank 1000 with a 99% acc+ then losing pp (1-5pp)?

That "can't lose pp" is such the case during the past system but something is different now. There are even people losing 3 digit pps for some random reason
Luna
If you lose pp from a completely new rank, you are seeing the effects of algorithm changes. There is no correlation at all with your new score, it just triggered the update on your stats.
GentMOE
I completed a map with half a star with half time, no fail and easy and gained ranks, yet when I play an "insane" or "hard" map I actually lose ranks. Where do I complain about this? I might as well just SS easy maps only to get a higher rank.
laeamminlakana
Ever since I got through airman (only a day or 2 ago) without any mods, it has felt as though every score has taken my rank down but simultaneously upped my pp. Tell me, am I drunk, is the pp system favoring accuracy more, or am I AND the pp system drunk? (recently DT'D a hard with 1 miss > +2pp but rank went down by 30, this triggered my need to stare at the rank)
GoldenWolf
You probably don't get enough pp and people are outranking you in the meanwhile
Keeby
as a small side note for the new star system (which I think is a good improvement), new qualified maps aren't being rated properly. (or is it supposed to be that way?)
Wishy

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Wishy wrote:

If you happen to lose pp it's because there is some update going on or you beat one of your scores with another one that's worth less pp than your old one (dunno if this has been fixed yet, make ranks based on pp earned pls like osu!tp, ranked score is crap).
Then how about getting a new rank on a random insane, then getting inside rank 1000 with a 99% acc+ then losing pp (1-5pp)?

That "can't lose pp" is such the case during the past system but something is different now. There are even people losing 3 digit pps for some random reason

Wishy wrote:

WolfCoder
When I play the top ranks of people above me, its usually some map that's just slightly above my skill level that I have to beat. I'm surprised at how accurate it is now at gauging challenge. I'm climbing ranks much much slower now though, but it's about the journey- not the horizon.
IamNotgod_old

Brimroth wrote:

Ever since I got through airman (only a day or 2 ago) without any mods, it has felt as though every score has taken my rank down but simultaneously upped my pp. Tell me, am I drunk, is the pp system favoring accuracy more, or am I AND the pp system drunk? (recently DT'D a hard with 1 miss > +2pp but rank went down by 30, this triggered my need to stare at the rank)
Yeah, I noticed that too. For example, one of my friends who played mostly DT maps with low 90s accuracy suddenly got 95% overall accuracy after the most recent recalculation. Also, all his DT scores got removed from his top performances aside from the only one he had a FC on (he only dropped ~500 ranks though from 14.5k to 15k). So his new top performances are just full combos that he himself said don't even feel like his best. On those new top performances, there were medium jumps at medium speeds with streams. We both feel that those are underwhelming to his fast, full-screen jumps in his DTs that lack many streams and have a little less accuracy. While having accuracy as a bigger factor is good and all, we should consider that good aim and good speed can also be had without such accuracy, which the current system doesn't seem capable to account for.
RaneFire
It's really depressing that people will ask the same question that Wishy gave an answer for, ON THE SAME PAGE, and the next page... a few more times... and has been answered in numerous separate topics, and previously in this thread by other people MULTIPLE times.

Your rank does not update every second, or hour, or even day. The act of making a new score forces an update of your rank. Sometimes it can not be updated for up to 3 days, in my case, then I make a new score and it updates and I "lose" 50 ranks. People passed me in PP while I wasn't playing. How hard is that to grasp?

There are only 2 ways you can lose PP... when the algorithm updates, or you make a worse performance overwriting an existing score. You lose ranks all the time, because everyone else is increasing their PP faster than you... BY PLAYING THE DAMN GAME AND GETTING BETTER INSTEAD OF WHINING ABOUT IT.

IamNotgod wrote:

For example, one of my friends who played mostly DT maps with low 90s accuracy suddenly got 95% overall accuracy after the most recent recalculation. Also, all his DT scores got removed from his top performances aside from the only one he had a FC on
Sigh...

Unless you're Jesus, you won't get PP doing that.
laref
I've not seen this asked yet. How much does the spinner mod affect pp?
Novixion

ntaig wrote:

I've not seen this asked yet. How much does the spinner mod affect pp?
Probably counts as a normal hit in terms of accuracy. Might contribute to speed?
silmarilen

Tom94 wrote:

-ArmoredTitan- wrote:

3. Are spinners included in the PP formula? Also, would Spun Out affect your PP gain?
Spinners are included as having to aim to the center and move a big. They are pretty much negligible. SpunOut multiplies the pp you gain from that particular score by 0.95.
laeamminlakana

GoldenWolf wrote:

You probably don't get enough pp and people are outranking you in the meanwhile
Outranking shouldn't matter now, that it is 100% based on the difficulty algorithm, unless it was changed into back into ranks mattering (which I personally disapprove of)

Edit: Brimroth achieved rank #283 on Rabpit - Sanctity [Hard] (osu!) this is the map, I just FC'd it with DT getting the rank you see, losing 23 ranks as I did it, but still acquiring 2 pp. Tom94, fix this please.
silmarilen
are you serious?
PlasticSmoothie
All right guys.

What you need to realise is that there are others playing this game, and their rank can influence yours. How? If they're below you in overall rank (NOT A RANK ON A MAP) and then increase to being above you, you will drop 1, because now one more person is above you.

Now, there are a lot of people playing this game and so often many more than just one person will pass you overnight. When you then again play a song, your rank updates. You'll drop ranks because you gained no pp yet others passed you while you weren't playing/getting pp.

your rank does NOT update real-time, it updates EVERY TIME you set ANY KIND OF SCORE. So if it's been 24 hours since your lasts core, that's 24 hours of changes. Often at least one person will have passed you.
laeamminlakana

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

All right guys.

What you need to realise is that there are others playing this game, and their rank can influence yours. How? If they're below you in overall rank (NOT A RANK ON A MAP) and then increase to being above you, you will drop 1, because now one more person is above you.

Now, there are a lot of people playing this game and so often many more than just one person will pass you overnight. When you then again play a song, your rank updates. You'll drop ranks because you gained no pp yet others passed you while you weren't playing/getting pp.

your rank does NOT update real-time, it updates EVERY TIME you set ANY KIND OF SCORE. So if it's been 24 hours since your lasts core, that's 24 hours of changes. Often at least one person will have passed you.
are you implying that 30 people passed me (or the others, haven't read the thread) by more than 2 pp in about 2 hours?
Horolynn

Brimroth wrote:

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

All right guys.

are you implying that 30 people passed me (or the others, haven't read the thread) by more than 2 pp in about 2 hours?
It's 6:39PM UTC now, this is the online users count:
It can go as high as 10-11k from what I've seen, probably higher.
Do you really think 30 people is a lot? There is many people that are better than you, get over it.
laeamminlakana

Draxuss wrote:

Brimroth wrote:

It's 6:39PM UTC now, this is the online users count:
It can go as high as 10-11k from what I've seen, probably higher.
Do you really think 30 people is a lot? There is many people that are better than you, get over it.
s

I don't mind people being better than me, I mind the fact that it felt as though the system had messed up, but then I played an easy stream map and got like 40pp and figured screw blaming the system.
IamNotgod_old

RaneFire wrote:

IamNotgod wrote:

For example, one of my friends who played mostly DT maps with low 90s accuracy suddenly got 95% overall accuracy after the most recent recalculation. Also, all his DT scores got removed from his top performances aside from the only one he had a FC on
Sigh...

Unless you're Jesus, you won't get PP doing that.
I don't understand why you would just discount that. No, he's not as good as you in the top 1000s, but he was still a decent player at least at 14k. Literally 7/10 of his top performances were non full combo DTs before the most recent update. I'm not complaining that the updates made him lose rank. In fact, he barely lost any. All that I was saying is that his new top performances don't seem to show what he is good at. Now it shows some easy-medium difficulty FCs with only average accuracy. Nothing shows what we both consider to be his best plays. I remember seeing something along the lines of some profile page rework maybe in the feature requests. Perhaps we could also include a new, separate section for the profile where a user can select 10 performances that they themselves feel showcase their own skill rather than only the 10 giving the most pp being shown.
Novixion
Is the new star system out? I noticed the star rating on some maps have already changed...

And I thought 5.00+ are hard to find...
S o h
This thread isn't for people that are bad with math

or logic in general
show more