forum

what is the purpose of requiring hitsounds in o!m

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xch00F
I don't think I know of a vertical scrolling rhythm game that triggers an arbitrary sound when you hit a note on the receptor
DDR and all associated knockoffs (such as ITG, StepMania, FFR, FTB) do not use hitsounds at all
IIDX and BMS use keysounding (dat human sequencer), but that is not the same as hitsounding at all

for osu standard, whatever, I don't play standard at all so I couldn't care less about ranking maps in that playstyle, but it seems that, in order to get a map ranked for osu!mania, you are required to use manually placed hitsounds

what is the purpose of hitsounds, and if you play with hitsounds on, why?
Full Tablet
In osu!standard, hitsounds are important to make the player feel what part of the song the beatmap is mapped to.

If you are used to playing with hitsounds, you automatically sync the hitsounds to the music (so a mental offset is made so you press buttons early compared to the music), and playing without them makes accuracy harder.

If you play without hitsounds, you can set the offset to compensate for the keyboard input delay, but then you would have problems playing keysounded maps.
Pinecone
Because peppy said so
Vuelo Eluko
peppy doesnt play mania
EtienneXC
Every hitsound song is offsync for me no matter what offset I use since it doesn't affect it.

rip
lenpai
THIS

Don't see any purpose to besides giving emphasis to very low sounds and it being something that can make ghost notes acceptable. Some mappers do use hitsounds for its intended purpose but this should really be optional.
ovnz

Hazelnut- wrote:

Because peppy said so
Bobbias
Osu!mania is a game mode that is part of Osu!. One of Osu!'s defining features is hitsounds. Since Osu!Mania is a part of Osu!, this applies to it, just as it does to every other game mode.

That, and because peppy said so.

I hate it as much as anyone else does, but it does make sense from the standpoint of wanting consistency across every game mode. I think it's a poor decision, but complaining won't change anything (trust me, if it did, I'd be one of the first to know).
kuuderes_shadow
I wonder how many more ranked mania mapsets there would be if adding hitsounds was not a requirement.
Pinecone

Riince wrote:

peppy doesnt play mania
That has nothing to do with the topic of hitsounding.
Kamikaze
I personally use hitsounds to get the rhythm better, as in getting feedback if I'm hitting at correct tempo. But I don't understand why we need complicated hitsounding and shit, like wow, we could just use silent hitsound files and if someone needs feedback they turn custom samples off
gintoki147
I'm surprised that you all don't like hitsounds.
They make everything much better, specially when the notes don't make any sense.
ovnz

gintoki147 wrote:

They make everything much better, specially when the notes don't make any sense.
keysounds != hitsounds
Tidek
Every game mode in osu! game requires hitsounds, no one will make exceptions for mania, its obvious.

Close this topic because its nonsense lol
gintoki147

Ovnize wrote:

keysounds != hitsounds
I like both
Topic Starter
xch00F

Tidek wrote:

Every game mode in osu! game requires hitsounds, no one will make exceptions for mania, its obvious.

Close this topic because its nonsense lol
nonsense?
no I'm legitimately curious, I would love to have some ranked maps (because imo I'm more than capable of doing so) but having to hitsound things is just a huge negative to me, to the point that I don't even want to try to rank a map
spoonguy
There's no real purpose to it, it's just done in a whim.
A lot of strong arguments were presented against requiring hitsounds, but you can see why it didn't happen clearly in the last post of this thread.
In any case, it's clearly not going to change.
Topic Starter
xch00F
what a shitlord
Agka

gintoki147 wrote:

you know, you're not supposed to fix bad charting with sounds

but no it's not going to happen and if this thread goes on the name the o!m community got themselves as dramasters will just become worse

despite the fact that there really are plenty of good reasons to not use hitsounds other than "we're used to them" and that having them isn't any better game design (as plenty other games have shown!)
Drace
cuz rip mania
show more