what is the purpose of requiring hitsounds in o!m

posted
Total Posts
show more
ovnz

Hazelnut- wrote:

Because peppy said so
Bobbias
Osu!mania is a game mode that is part of Osu!. One of Osu!'s defining features is hitsounds. Since Osu!Mania is a part of Osu!, this applies to it, just as it does to every other game mode.

That, and because peppy said so.

I hate it as much as anyone else does, but it does make sense from the standpoint of wanting consistency across every game mode. I think it's a poor decision, but complaining won't change anything (trust me, if it did, I'd be one of the first to know).
kuuderes_shadow
I wonder how many more ranked mania mapsets there would be if adding hitsounds was not a requirement.
Pinecone

Riince wrote:

peppy doesnt play mania
That has nothing to do with the topic of hitsounding.
Kamikaze
I personally use hitsounds to get the rhythm better, as in getting feedback if I'm hitting at correct tempo. But I don't understand why we need complicated hitsounding and shit, like wow, we could just use silent hitsound files and if someone needs feedback they turn custom samples off
gintoki147
I'm surprised that you all don't like hitsounds.
They make everything much better, specially when the notes don't make any sense.
ovnz

gintoki147 wrote:

They make everything much better, specially when the notes don't make any sense.
keysounds != hitsounds
Tidek
Every game mode in osu! game requires hitsounds, no one will make exceptions for mania, its obvious.

Close this topic because its nonsense lol
gintoki147

Ovnize wrote:

keysounds != hitsounds
I like both
Topic Starter
xch00F

Tidek wrote:

Every game mode in osu! game requires hitsounds, no one will make exceptions for mania, its obvious.

Close this topic because its nonsense lol
nonsense?
no I'm legitimately curious, I would love to have some ranked maps (because imo I'm more than capable of doing so) but having to hitsound things is just a huge negative to me, to the point that I don't even want to try to rank a map
spoonguy
There's no real purpose to it, it's just done in a whim.
A lot of strong arguments were presented against requiring hitsounds, but you can see why it didn't happen clearly in the last post of this thread.
In any case, it's clearly not going to change.
Topic Starter
xch00F
what a shitlord
Agka

gintoki147 wrote:

you know, you're not supposed to fix bad charting with sounds

but no it's not going to happen and if this thread goes on the name the o!m community got themselves as dramasters will just become worse

despite the fact that there really are plenty of good reasons to not use hitsounds other than "we're used to them" and that having them isn't any better game design (as plenty other games have shown!)
Drace
cuz rip mania
Maiz94
There's been a discussion about this before and eventually get locked after that.

Drace wrote:

cuz rip mania
ArcherLove
play without Effect
also set your offset

sync your music with keyboard tapping
lenpai
This is more of a mapping issue (and getting stuff ranked) as opposed to gameplay though :^)
Grassgrow

Drace wrote:

cuz rip mania
Tidek
Player A: I like to play osu!mania maps with hit sounds! Fine!
Player B: I like to play osu!mania maps without hit sounds! Fine!

Both players are mappers:

Player A: I will try to rank osu!mania map with hitosunds, if player B doesnt like it, he can always turn effects off! Fine!
Player B: I will try to rank osu!mania map without hitsounds, but player A wants to play it with hit sounds... FK U PLAYER A! Not Fine!

I hope everyone understand that simple logic.

cuz rip this thread
Redon

Tidek wrote:

Player A: I will try to rank osu!mania map with hitosunds, if player B doesnt like it, he can always turn effects off! Fine!
Player B: I will try to rank osu!mania map without hitsounds, but player A wants to play it with hit sounds... FK U PLAYER A! Not Fine!

cuz rip this thread
Agree with this, also requiring hitsounds is a good way to make sure people time their maps properly

Actually who am I kidding unrankeds come with a wrong offset more often than not anyway
Agka

Tidek wrote:

cuz rip this thread
if silent hitsounds were done using custom samples player B can still just disable custom samples and enjoy their delicious standard hitsounds that were meant for other game, no biggie.
Bobbias

Redon wrote:

Agree with this, also requiring hitsounds is a good way to make sure people time their maps properly

Actually who am I kidding unrankeds come with a wrong offset more often than not anyway
Hitsounds have absolutely nothing to do with timing the map properly. Hell, hitsounds can mess up your timing if they have extra delay (and this is a legitimate problem that can unrank or lead to popped bubbles.)

Agka's entirely correct too, if you used a silent hitsound, disabling custom hitsounds would return the default hitsounds that your skin has.

Anyway, this discussion isn't going to go anywhere, and will probably be locked soon if people keep quoting that fucking rip mania bullshit.
-Maus-
And what's the point of not hitsounding at all, which means not knowing whether you hit or not
Kamikaze

Agka wrote:

if silent hitsounds were done using custom samples player B can still just disable custom samples and enjoy their delicious standard hitsounds that were meant for other game, no biggie.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ovnz

Transformau5 wrote:

And what's the point of not hitsounding at all, which means not knowing whether you hit or not
>hit lightings
Bobbias

Transformau5 wrote:

There's nothing that says you need hitsounds to be accurate. Even without hitsounds I know just by feel when I'm offtime. I can play with osu completely muted without any trouble, too. And no, I don't use my keyboard as an audio timing cue. It's a laptop that barely makes any noise.
gintoki147
At least to me, playing without hitsounds is the same as playing instruments when you're deaf. Not fun at all.
I know it's an entirely different game, but Cytus doesn't have hitsounds for Android devices, so I kinda get bored after playing 3~5 songs. I wish I had an iPad. ;-;
Agka

Transformau5 wrote:

you made me respond. good job trolling.

to sum up: all the points brought up here have been brought down but it seems like no one wants to listen - instead everyone wants to just impose their opinion instead. Nobody has given reasonable arguments for requiring hitsounds (besides the osu! identity thing, which is fine and all, but it's out of the scope of the discussion).

For the most part, people who advocate silent hitsounds can also find agreeable that good use of them can easily enhance a beatmap, but if you're reading their posts at all, think they are not required as plenty of games before this one have shown. I'm not the only one saying this, and nobody is even trying to do reasonable counterarguments, instead just stating ideas that already have been brought down again and again.

I would enjoy this discussion if people were being reasonable and exposing actually good reasons (and that are aware that hitsounding is not keysounding, and is aware of everything we're trying to say) but this guy just shows that nobody's listening our reasons.

Now, that doesn't mean this discussion needs to be shut down as soon as possible. This discussion can be had while being aware that hitsounds are not going away.

But keep disregarding every argument that goes against what you think and not actually discussing the topic at hand, but merely stating positions with unreasonable theses. That's the way to go.

As for this post at hand, go read about feedback. Audio is not the only form of feedback. There's physical feedback, there's visual feedback, there's plenty of different kinds of feedback besides audio that are tied to senses that are not just your ears, and are responsive and good enough.
Lust
There was a legitimate discussion here. Sadly, it has devolved into something less than desirable.

Locking.