forum

New Mod for Osu!Mania (Cmod/Speedblock)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +79
show more
bomber34
I still don't understand why there is shouldn't be a "mod" like this when the mod itself would be
A) totally optional
B) reducing score so much, nobody would play it for getting a good rank or being completly unranked at all.

If people enjoy the map more with just one speed instead of changes then why shouldn't they be allowed to do so?
It would still be something "optiional" like any other mod.

On the other hand you can always blame the modding process for bad speed changes (mode-specific) or old super BPM changing maps that are most likely auto converted.
But still: why is something that would be totally optional a bad thing?
Topic Starter
Bara-

bomber34 wrote:

I still don't understand why there is shouldn't be a "mod" like this when the mod itself would be
A) totally optional
B) reducing score so much, nobody would play it for getting a good rank or being completly unranked at all.

If people enjoy the map more with just one speed instead of changes then why shouldn't they be allowed to do so?
It would still be something "optiional" like any other mod.

On the other hand you can always blame the modding process for bad speed changes (mode-specific) or old super BPM changing maps that are most likely auto converted.
But still: why is something that would be totally optional a bad thing?
Finally someone who completely understands this.
Thanks.
If people don't want to use it, they won't, just like EVERY OTHER mod.
bomber34

Chamelo_Th wrote:

My beatmap also contain SV changes, where it enchants playing experience and make my map a lot more beautiful.
I see no reason this should be implemented.
well some people believe their SB (which they create for the map extra ...) enchants the experience and makes it a lot more beautiful
Visual Settings --> disable SB

well hitsounds are a must in every game mode and a lot of people think it enchants the playing experience and makes the song a lot more beautiful but people still can play without it by setting effect volume to 0% in sound options

99% of taiko player probably believe there is a must to have hitting different keys for blue and red hits ... there is still relax mod to just use one key for all (and that is unranked, nobody complains)

You can either use relax to not click in standard (which could be argued as bad since the slogan of the game is: rhythm is just a click away)

Chamelo_Th wrote:

It's like standard player must adapt with the distance snap change tho.
nope, there is Auto Pilot ... which moves the cursor for you (unranked mod)

overall osu! is great, because it allows a lot of options to play the game in a way you prefer even if more than 50% of players will never use it

- if it is that terrible of a mod in regards for competetive play: go unrank for it
Kamikaze

bomber34 wrote:

99% of taiko player probably believe there is a must to have hitting different keys for blue and red hits ... there is still relax mod to just use one key for all (and that is unranked, nobody complains)
So just make that speedblock thing unranked and everybody's happy \:D/
Chamelo

bomber34 wrote:

well some people believe their SB (which they create for the map extra ...) enchants the experience and makes it a lot more beautiful
Visual Settings --> disable SB

well hitsounds are a must in every game mode and a lot of people think it enchants the playing experience and makes the song a lot more beautiful but people still can play without it by setting effect volume to 0% in sound options

You can either use relax to not click in standard (which could be argued as bad since the slogan of the game is: rhythm is just a click away)

there is Auto Pilot ... which moves the cursor for you (unranked mod)

overall osu! is great, because it allows a lot of options to play the game in a way you prefer even if more than 50% of players will never use it

- if it is that terrible of a mod in regards for competetive play: go unrank for it
So, you want to have one for mania?

Then, go for unranked.
Maiz94
Still, the OP's objective doesn't want to learn the damn thing that damages his gameplay. \:D/

Aaaaaand, unranked mod it is.
Redon
Kamikaze

Redon wrote:

-Kamikaze- wrote:

wat, Are you actually saying that all o2jam maps are bad? Well made SV changes are hell of a fun (DJPop's Smoooch for example) just learn to play them.
I wasn't calling any maps bad. What I'm saying is that even when used sensibly, scrolling speed changes add very little or nothing to the quality of a map - They'd be just as fun without them. Considering that, I really don't think that little luxury is worth the SV horror we currently put up with especially on auto converts.

In my personal opinion, both mappers and the game should keep their hands off scrolling speeds and approach rates, and let the user configure it based on preference. You know, instead of having to stick a piece of paper over half my taiko screen.

It evens the odds for all and makes the game more fun.
I agree with that point in case af AC's which have really nasty BPM changes, but the thing is, on mania specific maps, well made SV changes (DJPop's or Ishi's) are what makes map fun. After playing DJPop's smoooch few times, when I tried no-SV version on Priti's mapset, it felt unbelievably empty. And it's not because it was easier, hell it's on same level for me, but SV changes were just too much fun, so getting rid of them breaks the experience. And many players actually love SV's.
So in summary I agree that AC's BPM changes are bad, and it isn't something we should learn to play, but mania specific SV-changes reading is something players should learn.
Redon
Kamikaze

Redon wrote:

Wouldn't the way you put it make it a very subjective matter? I enjoyed that map you mentioned, especially the way the hit sounding was done, but I personally thought the SV changes were awful. I do not think they were fun.

As a player, I don't want to be left wondering if my game just had a hiccup, or if that was the mapper trying to be creative with extreme SV changes. Although I don't understand how you could enjoy that, I can respect that you do, and in the same spirit I don't think it's a good idea to force it on people who find it extremely unintuitive and irritating.
If mapper wants his map to be SV-change heavy, then let him do it, you don't have to play it. It's the same with AR settings or just the way map is done on std. Respect mapper's style. We have same issue on mania with some pepole hating LN heavy patterns just because they don't like them. If you don't like it, fine, you're not forced to play it, but don't go around saying that they're awful. Of course I don't imply that you're doing it and yes it is a very subjective matter. And that's exactly why I said that this mod is a good idea, but only as unranked mod, similar to LR2's Consistent BPM Fix setting. /thread
Topic Starter
Bara-
Well, I'm fine with it being an unranked mod
Topic Starter
Bara-
Time for a little bump
Topic Starter
Bara-
Slider Velocity :D
Why is it, that in Mania the game doesn't speed up when there are green sections, while on Mania specific maps, it does.
Also it does change speed in Taiko, so why not in mania?
I recall seeing a video of Mania some long time ago in which score was completely screwed up, but SV takes part at the speed.
Since this wouldn't make things easier or harder (maybe harder, but those mods still give 1.00) I'd say make it a mod (or just a little checkmark when playing it, just like the Disable Video/Storyboard, BG Dim etc.
Otherwise it can also be an unranked mod, but I really want it :D
Oh, this ofcourse only counts for auto-converts, which are my favorite :P
Agka
this mod doesn't exist by design, sorry
Topic Starter
Bara-
What?
What on earth do you mean?
Ryu Sei
I've seen similar thread like this...
But well, SV change is a part of o!m gameplay. Unranked mod IMO.
Also, why not a mod like.... constant speed, that ignores entirely SV and BPM change (as seen in StepMania)?
Oinari-sama

Ryu Sei wrote:

I've seen similar thread like this...
But well, SV change is a part of o!m gameplay. Unranked mod IMO.
Also, why not a mod like.... constant speed, that ignores entirely SV and BPM change (as seen in StepMania)?
That'll be t/192110 I guess?
Topic Starter
Bara-
Yep. I both requested a mod to stop the Sv changes from bpm changes, but also reqyested sv changes to be visible :P
arviejhay

baraatje123 wrote:

Yep. I both requested a mod to stop the Sv changes from bpm changes, but also reqyested sv changes to be visible :P
t/192110 i love this mod!!
Topic Starter
Bara-
Bump
Kitokofox

xelivous wrote:

leaf - i is mapped for standard, and is an autoconvert
you're trying to get a mod made for a mode using a map made for another mode as an example

if a mania-specific map has a problem with terrible SV changes it's a problem with the ranking criteria for mania maps allowing extremely bad SV changes to get through. so there's really no reason for this mod tbh.
While you say that, I see no reason to not have this modifier available. It even poses a fair score penalty (Think of Stepmania and it's C300/C600)
PyaKura
Unranked, sure.
Ryu Sei
Consider merging this thread to t/192110
Topic Starter
Bara-

Ryu Sei wrote:

Consider merging this thread to t/192110
good idea.
Mark this as duplicate/invalid please, then I'll merge these two (unless it shouldn't be merged)
So can a moderator please tell me if it should merge or not? Because then there are 2 mods (speed mods for Mania)
Oinari-sama
Merged as per requested.
Topic Starter
Bara-
Thanks, changed the OP to talk about both mods now
Agka

baraatje123 wrote:

What?
What on earth do you mean?
woc2006 was asked to implement either mmods or cmods and he had answered that he wouldn't implement either- by design. Apparently this game was NOT meant to have either.
Topic Starter
Bara-
Bump
Topic Starter
Bara-
Bump
This would make the game more fun
Oinari-sama
No need to bump a 5 page long thread so frequently, once a month is more than enough.

The devs read every threads and the last thing they wanna see is empty comments like "Bump" or "Support." If you wanna bump a request early, make sure that you have ideas to add to it.
Ryu Sei
For mods.... how about Split-scroll mod as seen in StepMania? Make it as Split-A and Split-B, when...
Player uses Split-A have their buttons splitted and different scroll direction.

and using Split-B ignore these words :/
makes the scroll speed on L and R side different (make the scroll speed is modifyable).
Topic Starter
Bara-
Ryu, that would be nigh impossible to play, if I understand you correctly
DothThouHoist

Ryu Sei wrote:

For mods.... how about Split-scroll mod as seen in StepMania? Make it as Split-A and Split-B, when...
Player uses Split-A have their buttons splitted and different scroll direction.

and using Split-B ignore these words :/
makes the scroll speed on L and R side different (make the scroll speed is modifyable).
I play FFR like this with hidden and it's actually fun lol... Although quite hard to read, especially on streams .---.
DothThouHoist

baraatje123 wrote:

Ryu, that would be nigh impossible to play, if I understand you correctly
At first i used to be a reverse scroller but then i started trying out the original up scroll on stepmania, i found it much harder... But much more fun, since it made it more challenging, i like the cross scroll though, because i can also cross my hands with it
(from Q,S,L,P to P,L,Q,S)
Or (D,F,J,K to J,K,D,F) and switch my hand position where my right hand is on the left and my keft hand is on the right
arviejhay
this reminds me of o2mania speed effect: 4D notes and Speedbat
Topic Starter
Bara-
The second thing already got requested (found it when seqrching for something else) t/173759?hilit=Taiko+speed
I'll edit OP later (as I am on phone)
Topic Starter
Bara-
As it's now only the speedblock (prev comment, still didn't update OP) I'll give another reason why this should be added
I'm now starting to play mania specifics (4k only)
Most maps are doable, but some are hard, and the slowdown can be sudden for 'a rookie player'
For example: Ryu* - I'm so happy
The sv changes are fun if you know them well, but if you don't, they are a real pain.
ikzune
why does an nsv mod thread already exist... I guess people were just expecting it to already be a work in progress
Topic Starter
Bara-
Updated OP after a long time :P
Bobbias
I agree with Gezo here (And I played stepmania for years only using C speeds.) Speed changes are part of the map, and removing them should automatically disqualify your score from being ranked (think random, not nofail).

Personally, I think the larger problem is that without checking the editor before playing, it's impossible to tell if a map has SVs at all. At least if a map has true BPM changes you can see the min and max BPM and average, but there's absolutely no indication of SVs when there really should be.
show more