forum

Add pp as a scoring system in standard mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,788
show more
Topic Starter
Ohrami

Ace3DF wrote:

You can do all of this anyways if you're a supporter.
Step 1: Open osu!
Step 2: Go to a song
Step 3: Put on DT (/HD)
Step 4: Change leaderboards to Global (selected mods)
Step 5: Enjoy your stay at pp city.
That's not how it works, and even if it was, it isn't really relevant to my request.
jesse1412

Ace3DF wrote:

You can do all of this anyways if you're a supporter.
Step 1: Open osu!
Step 2: Go to a song
Step 3: Put on DT (/HD)
Step 4: Change leaderboards to Global (selected mods)
Step 5: Enjoy your stay at pp city.
Yes.

On your hard difficulties. Try checking out some really difficult maps with dt, you know the ones that are the fastest maps possible in the game and all. All that free pp for playing the fastest maps with the biggest jumps oh how terrible.
Amianki

Ace3DF wrote:

HRHD would become more pointless and DT mashing would be happening everywhere.

Kaeru wrote:

CalignoBot wrote:

This hasn't happened with the current scoring system so it won't happen in the new one either.
Yes, it pretty much has, actually. While still more accurate than ppv1, ppv2 is far from perfect. And I mean very far. Star difficulty is still calculated poorly, DT is still weighted too much on some songs (not all songs) and FL really is fine where it is. I really don't see why FL should be touched.

Why do people have a problem with the score system? It's the best system. It's a constant system. It never changes. Performance points will constantly vary as the calculations become more accurate. Score never has to change, nor should it ever change. I really would like to see a way to replace plays with higher pp plays (or delete records, maybe a supporter only feature) but this is really not a solution.

And as Grappemaker said, displaying the pp in the top right instead of score is pretty much the most horrid idea I've ever heard of. People will just download a map, throw DT on it and if the little pp indicator in the top right isn't some absurd amount of pp that the map is definitely not worth, well you can guess what happens then. Delete it and move on to the next map to mash buttons on.
I was actually referring to the score ranking system when I said "current scoring system", not the ppv2 system.
Seto Kousuke

Ziggo wrote:

That'd be awful. I hope this will never happen.
^
Kittles
This would just defeat the purpose of osu...
Drezi
oh PLEASE, how is that so, care to elaborate? it makes my head hurt that people just come here commenting stuff like these, based on zero thought given.
Kittles

Drezi wrote:

oh PLEASE, how is that so, care to elaborate? it makes my head hurt that people just come here commenting stuff like these, based on zero thought given.
The whole point of rhythm games in general is to build up combos and get a high score. I think it would be a good idea to show pp next to a given score but pp should never replace the standard score system nor should it have priority over it.
Drezi

pied wrote:

The whole point of rhythm games in general is to build up combos and get a high score.
Yeah, that's what you do with pp aswell, or do we need to multiply it by 1,000,000 to make it seem 'high'?
jesse1412

pied wrote:

Drezi wrote:

The whole point of rhythm games in general is to build up combos and get a high score. I think it would be a good idea to show pp next to a given score but pp should never replace the standard score system nor should it have priority over it.
That's exactly how pp works...
[WP]
i think mania scoring system is a better idea

imo
Topic Starter
Ohrami

[WP] wrote:

i think mania scoring system is a better idea

imo
hell no
bomber34
as a casual player I really don't care if this changes. More accurate ranking sounds nice (since most people aren't able to get into the top 50 anyway why should they care)

I especially see no reason against this if we can still have the score system as an alternaitve. We already have mod-specific, country, friends ranking.
I know it adds a lot to the database but with that I simply see no reason why anyone would care.

About the pp changes ... I don't know. I rarely watch replays so it wouldn't effect me and I don't know who really wants to watch some #25 or below on a map when most people use the same mods anyway.
Defacer
Just add a scoreboard based on pp next to the existing score one, even if it's just for testing purposes.Many replays won't exist but it's just about bringing attention to actually good scores that remain completely unnoticed.To all the people who cannot realize what I am saying->It's not only sayonara-bye who is #1 on everything with DTHD, there are many many players being able to do maps like him, maybe without hd, maybe without such accuracy but still deserve respect for it.That way, you will all learn about great players that are right now underrated.

I don't understand what's this big argument all about, what's wrong with addition of a scoreboard based on what actually makes up our ranks?
Kittles
So basically spinners would also be removed, since they dont affect pp. oh yeah take out combos too since everyone will just be going for fc and ss anyways
Amianki

pied wrote:

So basically spinners would also be removed, since they dont affect pp. oh yeah take out combos too since everyone will just be going for fc and ss anyways
Slippery slope fallacy.
LexiaLovesU

dennischan wrote:

pp is far too inaccurate for anything like this.
it only considers max combo and acc, which are not sufficent for any case of score calculation.
there is no pattern recognization or anything that could determine the skill of a player accurately.

I think you are getting to hyped up over a system which is not operational.
Before per hitobject data can be provided,
it is simply nonsense to base scores on it.

maybe this should be implemented, but in the far future after pp is fully functional and gives accurate scoring.
then we can talk about this.

ps:FL is much harder than DT. DT is just high speed spamming. (excluding sayo's plays)
You obviously never played DT in insanes before ._. FL is just Retry Spam(not really hard just need paitence) while in DT you actually need skill to hit the notes
Kittles
Since the whole argument seems about mods, why not just buff dt multiplier or nerf fl or hd?
Vuelo Eluko

Defacer wrote:

Just add a scoreboard based on pp next to the existing score one, even if it's just for testing purposes.Many replays won't exist but it's just about bringing attention to actually good scores that remain completely unnoticed.To all the people who cannot realize what I am saying->It's not only sayonara-bye who is #1 on everything with DTHD, there are many many players being able to do maps like him, maybe without hd, maybe without such accuracy but still deserve respect for it.That way, you will all learn about great players that are right now underrated.

I don't understand what's this big argument all about, what's wrong with addition of a scoreboard based on what actually makes up our ranks?
i like this idea better, jesus has a thread on it already to have a "pp scoreboard" as a supporter feature alongside country/friend rankings, and its much more reasonable than ousting score completely
Topic Starter
Ohrami
I'd be fine with having both scoreboards, as long as the highest score to each are saved (along with the replay), and we can set which one to view by default.

pied wrote:

Since the whole argument seems about mods, why not just buff dt multiplier or nerf fl or hd?
Because this comes up so often, I've updated the OP with the reasons why it can't work.
Yabuki Nako
A scoreboard pp based cannot be a scoreboard.
A scoreboard need to be score based to be a scoreboard.
A scoreboard is nice in a game with score, that would be stupid to remove it imo.

An another board such a ppboard could be nice, but only with the existing one, like an option that we can switch which board we want to see.

No votes given for this request but I'm not totally againts tho.
Dexem
Can this be a thing?
Topic Starter
Ohrami

MiniTokki wrote:

A scoreboard is nice in a game with score, that would be stupid to remove it imo.

An another board such a ppboard could be nice, but only with the existing one, like an option that we can switch which board we want to see.

No votes given for this request but I'm not totally againts tho.
pp is a type of score. I don't really care if both are implemented, as long as your highest score for both "score" and "pp" are saved.
Green Platinum
I'm currently unconvinced.
My major issue is players who are new are going to be completely confused by a leaderboard completely alien from anything to their own scores. I know there is a wealth of information available on the wiki but the truth is few new players read it and I run into plenty that don't know about pp, it needs to be more prominently visible and because it can't be displayed mid map few may actually realise what effects it's value. Additionally while this may work on difficult maps with a large range of pp values I can only imagine extremely easy songs having the same value throughout the whole top 50.

Also what about local leaderboards I believe that pp is calculated online so what happens to unranked and offline plays?

I do support an option to sort by pp or simply just have it displayed on the end map score screen. I'd love to see the Auto's pp from an all mod for Big Black etc.
Drezi

MiniTokki wrote:

Green Platinum wrote:

My major issue is players who are new are going to be completely confused by a leaderboard completely alien from anything to their own scores.
If this was fully implemented PP would be score, it would replace score. What's so hard to grasp about this.
Yabuki Nako

Kyou-kun wrote:

pp is a type of score. I don't really care if both are implemented, as long as your highest score for both "score" and "pp" are saved.

Drezi wrote:

If this was fully implemented PP would be score, it would replace score. What's so hard to grasp about this.
What type of score a score on a scoreboard is ?
Bauxe

Drezi wrote:

PP isn't really something that can be calculated as you progress through a song...
Drezi

Bauxe wrote:

PP isn't really something that can be calculated as you progress through a song...
Not true, there are viable suggestions, read back.

MiniTokki wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

Drezi wrote:

What type of score a score on a scoreboard is ?
This guy... I really do hope that you're trolling.
Yabuki Nako

Drezi wrote:

This guy ? I do not allow you to take that tone. You can't argue people just because you don't see their point.

In osu!, there notes and combo, which give you a score, this is how the game work.
No matter how fast / blindfolded / with your head you hit the notes, you just need to be in rythm, this is a rythmic game.
This is the basis rules to get a score in the game.

PP are totally different, I don't know how to spell it (my english suck) but basically, they are not basis rules, they are implemented by our own judgement on how much is difficult to hit a note. This is totally subjective so totally different imo.

That lost what the game is.

So it's why, I think, PP can't be a scoreboard.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Because the current score system clearly isn't arbitrary what with how it multiplies your score based on combo, how 100s are worth 1/3 the points of a 300 and 50s worth 1/6, how misses/sliderbreaks end your combo but not 100s or 50s, how the mods multiply score by completely arbitrary numbers...

Yes, I'm sure that pp, something most people agree is relatively good at judging the difficulty of beatmaps and plays, which it does through looking at actual beatmap heuristics such as spacing, how fast you have to hit notes, how long the map is, OD, etc. is a far more arbitrary system.
jesse1412

MiniTokki wrote:

Drezi wrote:

This guy ? I do not allow you to take that tone. You can't argue people just because you don't see their point.

In osu!, there notes and combo, which give you a score, this is how the game work.
No matter how fast / blindfolded / with your head you hit the notes, you just need to be in rythm, this is a rythmic game.
This is the basis rules to get a score in the game.

PP are totally different, I don't know how to spell it (my english suck) but basically, they are not basis rules, they are implemented by our own judgement on how much is difficult to hit a note. This is totally subjective so totally different imo.

That lost what the game is.

So it's why, I think, PP can't be a scoreboard.
Alright you can go ahead and subjectively think that drangonhuman and rrtyui and all the other current top players are shit because this system is so obviously subjective.
Yabuki Nako

jesus1412 wrote:

Alright you can go ahead and subjectively think that drangonhuman and rrtyui and all the other current top players are shit because this system is so obviously subjective.
Are you for real ?

Where the fuck a spoke about if PP was well balanced or not ?
Even if it was a good system or not ?

Those people who reply to look cool and funny but are not able to read properly ahah.

Why people has to be so bitter on internet ?
Ritzeh
If this does get implemented, there should be decimals in the score. ex: 150.111 pp
jesse1412

MiniTokki wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

Are you for real ?

Where the fuck a spoke about if PP was well balanced or not ?
Even if it was a good system or not ?

Those people who reply to look cool and funny but are not able to read properly ahah.

Why people has to be so bitter on internet ?
Why argue it's subjective when pp is clearly awarding based on skill rather objectively. Neither of us can deny these players are good, if the system was subjective then there would be people who would disagree.
CelegaS
Osu is an arcade-like game so performance don't matter, only score is important. Too much people don't understand that and are focused on pp.
Drezi
Why can't you understand that pp can become the new SCORE? Is it THAT hard of a concept? What makes the current number displayed after your play more scorish than the displayed value of pp? They're both numbers, one holding more meaning...

You're like "oh no pp bad, score good, you no understand ;_;" but you fail to see how score is just an arbitrary number, you admire it blindly just because right now that's the number named "score".
Bauxe

Drezi wrote:

Why can't you understand that pp can become the new SCORE? Is it THAT hard of a concept? What makes the current number displayed after your play more scorish than the displayed value of pp? They're both numbers, one holding more meaning...

You're like "oh no pp bad, score good, you no understand ;_;" but you fail to see how score is just an arbitrary number, you admire it blindly just because right now that's the number named "score".
So you want the new players spamming threads about how they got 1 point on a map?
Full Tablet

Bauxe wrote:

Drezi wrote:

So you want the new players spamming threads about how they got 1 point on a map?
They could scale the pp number up by a certain value for display (for example, scale by 1,000 it so ~1pp becomes 1,241), or show decimals (the amount of pp of a play already has decimal value, it is just rounded for display).
Dexus
Bauxe: you made me think this up t/225131
Yabuki Nako

jesus1412 wrote:

Why argue it's subjective when pp is clearly awarding based on skill rather objectively. Neither of us can deny these players are good, if the system was subjective then there would be people who would disagree.
This is 100% subjective since that PP system and that idea of skills was implemented in addition on the basis game.

I think you misunderstand what the game is (or was) and what we want it to become.

Even in term of skills (term subjective...), the PP system is not objective.
If it was, it would be perfect but that not the case. I think Tom94 and peppy are working on it yet.
But if it was objective why on earth we would change it ?
You said it yourself, if objective, we can't denny.

It's called balance. We look at the system subjectively and try to make it objective.
Ace3DF
It would make every scoreboard on easy - hard maps irelavent seeing how all the top scores will be HDHRDTFLPF.
show more