forum

Why you aren't improving at osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Baka94

Khelly wrote:

Or you could just stop being fucking apprehensive and play the map anyways to find out if it's for you
I can't really say if your post was supposed to be a reply to me, but anyway...

For me it's not about begin apprehensive. It's mostly about keeping the game interesting. If the maps you play don't get too hard too fast and you "hit a wall", you end up grinding difficult maps over and over again, which is very boring for me.
Yuudachi-kun
You're just saying that you can't find a map at a difficulty for you. Play the god damn maps at the difficulty you think is right then decide if you want to play it some more or not. It's not that hard.
Deva

Baka94 wrote:

It might be possible that something else is also preventing me from improving
Yes, you arent playing enough.
Baka94

HK_ wrote:

Yes, you arent playing enough.
Not quiet what I meant. I do play osu! almost every day c:
Yuudachi-kun
I can play for 20 minutes and call that everyday too
Baka94

Khelly wrote:

I can play for 20 minutes and call that everyday too
True. I usually play whenever I don't have anything else to do. I usually play in a several short "sessions" (usually 5-10 sessions where I play 3-7 maps depending on the length of the maps) in one day. If I happen to play multiplayer with my friends I might play longer than that depending on how long others want to play. So, I'd say that the average playing time per day would be something between 30 min - 90 min. How long you think I should be playing per day? And should I keep "break days" where I don't play much or at all?
Yuudachi-kun
3 hours a day no long breaks if you want to actually improve and not see mediocre results.
Endaris
Session length of 60min and above is advisable for rapid improvement if you don't do any specific warmup before as you will need 15-30min before you actually get warm. If you stop playing once you warmed up you're not really going to get results.
Personally I tend to do a lot worse if I do a second session on the same day if the first one was long(=90min+) cause my fingers have kind of given up or something.
Deva

Khelly wrote:

3 hours a day no long breaks if you want to actually improve and not see mediocre results.
2 hours a day is ok too but anything bellow that is just dumb and waste of time
Yuudachi-kun
I wouldn't trust 2, but only because it takes me an hour to warm up.
Baka94
Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can find enough time to play that long, possibly leaving out some other stuff I do every now and then to be able to play longer in one go. I also still need to figure out how long it takes me to warm up.
CornSoda

Endaris wrote:

Session length of 60min and above is advisable for rapid improvement if you don't do any specific warmup before as you will need 15-30min before you actually get warm. If you stop playing once you warmed up you're not really going to get results.
Personally I tend to do a lot worse if I do a second session on the same day if the first one was long(=90min+) cause my fingers have kind of given up or something.
Gee, no wonders why I suck so much. But really I am improving even if I am not doing 60 mins or more a day. But I play more games that I'm rapidly getting better at, like Geometry Dash. So I don't play as much osu! as I used to. Not saying I will leave anytime soon, just will be playing less :arrow: k that's all I got
Baka94
I've been playing in longer sessions (~60min) and I have noticed that after some point I start performing worse than usual. My performance does increase during warm up, but some time after that it just suddenly drops at some point. Anyone have any idea why this happens?
Mahogany
Are you getting mad?
Are you playing new maps or playing maps you've already played?
Are you getting bored/tired?
Do you have attention span issues?
Yuudachi-kun

Baka94 wrote:

I've been playing in longer sessions (~60min) and I have noticed that after some point I start performing worse than usual. My performance does increase during warm up, but some time after that it just suddenly drops at some point. Anyone have any idea why this happens?
When that happened I stopped playing for fcs and pp and started playing fun, challenging maps ranked or unranked.
Ambient
Play to have a good time fam, it's not all about ranks but to some people it is and if you can get passed that everything becomes a whole lot funner and less salty.
StixStix
How i get better was just play the game for fun, i did not bother about AR,OD,Hp and blah blah. But of course, song category would be by difficulty so that it is easier to navigate through songs. For 1.5 years i did not even know(like legit) what is AR and stuff and continued playing till i actually went to YouTube and found some amazing streamers and when i knew what the options were, i saw that most of the maps i did was AR, 8-9 and was playing about 5 star. That's how i did it and sorry for trashy English. <3
- Demi -
I think you did a good job and i appreciate the guide !! Also the thing i find hard to understand is the motion thing with Ehh Less movement xD hard to explain when i dont understand iT but i think that thats my problem xD
Baka94
I noticed something pretty odd. For two days I made huge improvement and next two days seemed like I lost all the improvement I've made (I've actually played worse than usual). I played almost the entire day on all four days. I don't know if this is normal, but I just find it kind of odd that you suddenly can't play as well as you did a few days before regardless of playing for hours. You surely have enough time to warm up.
Deva
You just played too much and were tired.
Baka94

HK_ wrote:

You just played too much and were tired.
Does it really take that long to "recover"? I did sleep like 8-9 hours every night. Shouldn't you easily "recover" in that time?
Deva
It really depends on how much did you tire yourself out.
For example once i played 200bpm deathstreams for something like 3-4 hours and for the next 2 days i couldnt tap properly at all.

Im guessing that you didnt go that far as i did so break for 1 day will probably do it.
Mahogany
Once it took my hands a full week to recover from me being retarded and playing far too long
Deva
What did you do to end up like that?
Mahogany
I played hardcore for like 8 hours

And my hands had started hurting at the 4 hour mark

I'm so lucky I don't have RSI
Baka94

Mahogany wrote:

Once it took my hands a full week to recover from me being retarded and playing far too long

Mahogany wrote:

I played hardcore for like 8 hours

And my hands had started hurting at the 4 hour mark
Might take me that long too. I played ~8 hours on two days in a row. Not as hardcore as you did, but that's expected as I'm not as experienced played and I probably have less stamina too. I took the one day break like suggested and now I'm performing worse than before the break. Playing feels really difficult all of a sudden... Or could there be another reason why this is happening?

EDIT: Okay, I haven't recovered yet. My hand started hurting after playing one ~3 min map in a multiplayer (~3.5* probably) :/
Mahogany
If one day doesn't do it, come back in 3 days. That tends to work for me usually.
Rehantion
For me.. Improving hard diff to insane diff is kinda hard.
Idk why, but sometimes i play insane diff i got good perform, and sometimes got a really really bad perform.
Baka94

Rehantion wrote:

Idk why, but sometimes i play insane diff i got good perform, and sometimes got a really really bad perform.
Have you tried "warming up" before moving insane diff? When you start playing, play 30-60 min hard diffs (or longer if needed) to warm up and then start moving towards insane diffs. Another big help is sitting right and using headphones (removes surrounding distractions such as keyboard mashing sounds). I have noticed that if I sit right (not leaning back or hunched over), I can perform better. Another thing is that you need to sit in a high enough chair to be able to have your shoulders relaxed and try to have your wrists straight. These have helped me, so try them and see if they are helping (of course you might not see the effects right away).
DeathHydra

Rehantion wrote:

Don't look at difficulty name. Look at star rating instead.

Some insane diffs have low star rating so they might be easier than other insane diffs
Baka94

Baka94 wrote:

EDIT: Okay, I haven't recovered yet. My hand started hurting after playing one ~3 min map in a multiplayer (~3.5* probably) :/
Still same thing going on after 5 days of not playing osu! Should I start to be worried about this? :?
Endaris
Visit a doctor for clarity?
NanShanker69
There is no tricks that make you better. You just have to invest a lot of time into the game.
Spooky_Myon
Interestingly for me, the only case I am facing is squares. Somehow I always fail at that no matter what method i try lol.
Mahogany
Because you're looking at them as a pattern

You need to see them as individual point-to-point jumps and it gets a lot easier
Endaris
Or you just develop good muscle memory for the pattern "square".
Looking at multiple circles as patterns helps tremendously with reading.
Rather take that advice as "don't aim for the last note of the square before you hit the other ones".
Deva

Mahogany wrote:

You need to see them as individual point-to-point jumps and it gets a lot easier
I actually find it a lot easier to look at a square pattern as a square rather than 4 circles.
But i still get better results when bothering with each note individually so...i dont even know anymore...
Spooky_Myon

Endaris wrote:

Or you just develop good muscle memory for the pattern "square".
Looking at multiple circles as patterns helps tremendously with reading.
Rather take that advice as "don't aim for the last note of the square before you hit the other ones".

Tried that before, rather kind of worse as I don't have those kind of brain reflex, and even worse when the direction of the square changes.

Mahogany wrote:

I never see them as a pattern neither do i bother to, i always see things far apart as a 'jump' only, triangle or square.
FlutterDashXIII
Hay, thanks for the tips buddy, that helped a lot.
I put to the test that stream and slider thing and boy is it hard, but i did notice a BIG difference
(i can do a song that i couldn't do before because of a big f4k!ng stream, yay ^w^)
anyway thank you so much x3
Another Guy
I still can't get better after read this :(
show more