forum

The Stanley Parable - OSU! FORUM edition

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
his everything

PLEASE PLAY THE DEMO ON STEAM IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A FULL EXPERIENCE OF THE GAME!

This is the story of a man named Stanley.

Stanley worked for a company in a big building where he was employee number 427. Employee number 427’s job was simple: he sat at his desk in room 427 and he pushed buttons on a keyboard. Orders came to him through a monitor on his desk, telling him what buttons to push, how long to push them, and in what order. This is what employee 427 did every day of every month of every year, and although others might have considered it soul rending, Stanley relished every moment that the orders came in, as though he had been made exactly for this job. And Stanley was happy...

And then one day, something very peculiar happened, something that would forever change Stanley, something he would never quite forget. He had been at his desk for nearly an hour when he realized that not one, single order had arrived on the monitor for him to follow. No one had shown up to give him instructions, call a meeting, or even say hi. Never in all his years at the company had this happened, this complete isolation. Something was very clearly wrong. Shocked, frozen solid, Stanley found himself unable to move for the longest time, but as he came to his wits and regained his senses, he got up from his desk and stepped out of his office.

CLICK HERE TO START

All of his co-workers were gone. What could it mean? Stanley decided to go to the meeting room, perhaps he had simply missed the memo.

Follow the path that leads to a room

When Stanley came to a set of to open doors, he entered the door on his left.

Go to the left door
Go to the meeting room

Yet, there was not a single person here either. Feeling a wave of disbelief, Stanley decided to go up to his boss's office, hoping he might find an answer there.

Exit the meeting room
Exit the floor

Coming to a staircase, Stanley walked upstairs to his boss's office

Go upstairs
Go to the boss's office

Stepping into his managers office, Stanley was once again stunned to discover not an indication of any human life. Schocked, unraveled, Stanley wandered in disbelief. Who orchestrated this? What dark secret was being held from him?

What he could not have known, was that the keypad behind the boss's desk, guarded the terrible truth that his boss had been keeping from him. And so the boss had assigned it an extra secret pin number: two eight four five. But of course, Stanley couldn't possibly have known this.

WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG

Yet incredibly by simply pushing random buttons on the keypad, Stanley happened to input the correct code by sheer luck. Amazing, he stepped into the newly opened passageway

Access to the elevator and press the button leading to the basement

Descending depper into the building, Stanley realized he felt a bit peculiar. It was a stirring of emotion in his chest. As though, he felt more free to think for himself, to question the nature of his job. Why did he feel this now, when for years, it had never occurred to him? This question would not go unanswered for long....

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE BASEMENT!

WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG

Go downstairs
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE ???

Go to the right door

This was not the correct way of the meeting room, and Stanley knew it perfectly well. Perhaps he wanted to stop by the employee lounge first just to admire it.

Keep walking
Go to the employee lounge

Ah yes, truly a room worth admiring.

It had really been worth the detour after all, just to spend afew moments here in this immaculate beautifully constructed. Stanley simply stood here drinking it all in.

Exit the employee lounge

But eager to get back to business, Stanley took the first open door on his left.

Take the first door on your left
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE MEETING ROOM!

Keep going
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE NEW PAGE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Only click on boxes below if you have access to it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BASEMENT

Descending depper into the building, Stanley realized he felt a bit peculiar. It was a stirring of emotion in his chest. As though, he felt more free to think for himself, to question the nature of his job. Why did he feel this now, when for years, it had never occurred to him? This question would not go unanswered for long....

Follow the path that leads to...

Stanley walked straight ahead through the large door that read "MIND CONTROL FACILITY"

"MIND CONTROL FACILITY"
Go into an empty room...?
Press the button

The lights rose on an enormous room packed with television screens. "What horrible secret did this place hold?" Stanley thought to himself. Did he have the strength to find out?

Follow the path that leads a platform
Press the other button

Now the monitors jump to life, their true nature revealed. Each bore the number of an employee in the building: Stanley and his co-workers. The lives of so many individuals reduced to images on a screen, and Stanley, one of them, eternally monitored in this place where freedom meant nothing.

Press the last button

This mind control facility, it was too horrible believe... it couldn't be true. Has Stanley really been under someone's control all this time? Was this the only reason why he was happy with his boring job, that his emotions had been manipulated to accept it blindly???

Take the mini elevator that leads to the top

No! He refused to believe it. He couldn't accept it. His own life in someone else's control? Never! It was unthinkable, wasn't it? Was it even possible? Had he truly spent his entire life utterly blind to the world?

But he was the proof, the heart of the operation, controls labeled with emotions: happy or sad, or content walking, eating, working. All of it monitered and commanded from this very place, and as the cold reality of his past began to sink in, Stanley decided that this machinery would never again exert its terrible power over another human life, for he would dismantle the controls once and for all.

"FACILITY POWER"

- MIND CONTROLS IDLE AWAITING INPUT... -

"SYSTEM POWER...

"OFF"

Yes, he had won! He had defeated the Machine! Unshackled himself from someone else's command, freedom was mere moments away!... and yet, even as the immense door slowly opened, Stanley reflected on how many puzzles stil made unsolved. Well had his co-workers gone? How had he been freed from the machines grass? What other mysteries did this strange building hold? But as sunlight streamed into the chamber, he realized none of this mattered to him, for it was not knowledge or even power that he had been seeking... but happiness.

Perhaps, his goal had not been to understand, but to let go. No longer would anyone tell him where to go, what to do or how to feel. Whatever life he lives, it will be his, and that was all he needed to know. It was perhaps the only thing worth knowing. Stanley stepped through the open door.

Stanley felt the cool breeze upon his skin. The feeling of liberation. The immense possibility of the new path before him. This was exactly the way, right now, that things were meant to happen, and Stanley was happy.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU UNLOCKED THE FREEDOM ENDING!

"ON"

- LOADING MIND CONTROL SYSTEMS -

Oh Stanley... you didn't just activate the controls, did you? After they kept you enslaved all these years, you go and you try to take control of the machine for yourself, is that what you wanted: CONTROL?!

Stanley, you need to understand there's only so much that machine can do. You were supposed to let it go, turn the controls off and leave. If you want to throw my story of trash, you'll then have to do much better than that. I'm afraid you don't have nearly the power you think you do, for example, and I believe you'll find this pertinent. Stanley has suddenly realized he had just initiated "the network's emergency detonation system".

In the event that this machine is activated without proper DNA indentification, nuclear detonators are set to explode, eliminating the entire complex. How long until the detonation then? Let's say... 2 minutes.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU UNLOCKED THE STAR BOMBA NUCLEAR DETONATION ENDING!

"ESCAPE"

Although this passageway had the word "ESCAPE" written on it, the truth was that at the end of this hall, Stanley would meet his violent death.

Keep going

The door behind him was not shut. Stanley still had every opportunity to turn around and get back on track

Keep going

At this point, Stanley was making a conscious concerted effort to walk forward and willingly confront his death.

Keep going
Meet your death

YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE MACHINERY...

THE MACHINERY

- THE SHREDDER IS ON -

As the machine word into motion, and Stanley was inched closer and closer to his demise, he reflected that his life had been of no consequence whatsoever. He doesn't know the real story, trapped forever in his narrow vision of what life is all about. Perhaps, his death is a memory loss like plugging the eyeballs from a blind man. So he designed and willingly accepted this violent end to his brief and shallow life. Farewell, Stanley

"Farewell, Stanley" cried the narrator, as Stanley was led helplessly into the enormous metal jaws. In a single visceral instant, Stanley was obliterated, as the machine crushed every bone in his body, killing him instantly.

And yet, it would be just a few minutes before Stanley would restart then game back in his office as alive as ever. What exactly did the narrator think he was going to accomplish?

When every pass you can walk has been created for you long in advance, death becomes meaningless making life the same. Do you see now? Do you see that Stanley was already dead from the moment he clicked "START"?

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU UNLOCKED THE VIOLENT DEATH ENDING!

THE ???
[...] but Stanley just couldn't do it. He considered the possibility of facing his boss, admitting he had left his post during work hours... he might be fired for that; and in such competitive economy, why had he taken that risk? All because he believed everyone had vanished? His boss would think he was crazy...

...and then something occurred to Stanley: maybe, he thought to himself, maybe I am crazy. All of my co-workers blinking myseriously out of existence in a single moment for no reason at all? None of it made any logical sense, and a sternly pondered this, he began to make other strange observations...

..."Stanley began screaming"

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU UNLOCKED THE INSANITY ENDING!

THE MEETING ROOM
Yet, there was not a single person here either. Feeling a wave of disbelief, Stanley decided to go up to his boss's office, hoping he might find an answer there.

Exit the meeting room
Exit the floor

Coming to a staircase, Stanley walked upstairs to his boss's office

Go upstairs
Go to the boss's office

Stepping into his managers office, Stanley was once again stunned to discover not an indication of any human life. Schocked, unraveled, Stanley wandered in disbelief. Who orchestrated this? What dark secret was being held from him?

What he could not have known, was that the keypad behind the boss's desk, guarded the terrible truth that his boss had been keeping from him. And so the boss had assigned it an extra secret pin number: two eight four five. But of course, Stanley couldn't possibly have known this.

WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG

Yet incredibly by simply pushing random buttons on the keypad, Stanley happened to input the correct code by sheer luck. Amazing, he stepped into the newly opened passageway

Access to the elevator and press the button leading to the basement

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE BASEMENT!

WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG

Go downstairs
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE NOW ACCESS TO THE ???

the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never the end...

...is never... wait...

..what are you doing there?
Patatitta
damn you actually replicated a lot from the game haha
179bpm
THREAD OF THE MONTH TEAM WYA
z0z
Farfocele
BRO WHAT
Reyalp51
why did you do this to yourself
Topic Starter
his everything
I DIDN'T KNOW THIS THREAD WOULD BE BROKEN ON MOBILE LOL

Btw it took me ~20 hours to make this thread
Behrauder

179bpm wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

ook me ~20 hours to make this thread
I've been making a thread for almost two weeks, using practically all the free time in each of my days, and it would be really good if it were the thread of the month, I didn't create it with that objective, but it would be nice if I had two threads in the [Thread of the Month]. Maybe my thread will be ready before the end of this month, but now that you created this thread, I think I'd better post it on November 1st (I believe I'll finish it by then). :) :) :)
Patatitta

Anaxii wrote:

Btw it took me ~20 hours to make this thread
damn about the same ammount of time it takes me to make a thread these days haha, idk how much time i've invested on my analysis thread with all the movies and animes i've had to watch

cool thread, shame that i've already beaten ultra deluxe
MrMcMikey22
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I UNLOCKED INSANITY ENDING!!!!!!! O_O
Topic Starter
his everything

Behrauder wrote:

179bpm wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

ook me ~20 hours to make this thread
I've been making a thread for almost two weeks, using practically all the free time in each of my days, and it would be really good if it were the thread of the month, I didn't create it with that objective, but it would be nice if I had two threads in the [Thread of the Month]. Maybe my thread will be ready before the end of this month, but now that you created this thread, I think I'd better post it on November 1st (I believe I'll finish it by then). :) :) :)
Btw I don't really care about winning the thread of the month heh

I just wanted to pay tribute to this game!!
(Thanks to Dementedjet who gave me the Ultra Deluxe version so I could play it lol)
- Marco -
WHERE CAN I VOTE THIS THREAD FOR THREAD OF THE MONTH??? ??? ???
Jarcrafted
This is insanely peak
Cerno
or blimey an actual high effort thread
Kobold84
That's incredible, got the insanity ending first.
Karmine
You crazy

Great game btw, buy Ultra Deluxe edition
Topic Starter
his everything

Karmine wrote:

You crazy

Great game btw, buy Ultra Deluxe edition
PLEASE buy the Ultra Deluxe version, there are an infinite amount of endings there 🙏