Total Posts
show more
Corne2Plum3
Review The Amazing Digital Circus
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

already did, I did not like it, it's good for a youtube video but when you compare it to actual tv shows and series it falls short. It was in a general disscussion thread about this show I believe
Nuuskamuikkunen

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

already did, I did not like it, it's good for a youtube video but when you compare it to actual tv shows and series it falls short. It was in a general disscussion thread about this show I believe
Well it was just a pilot.
For an episode 1 of a series it was good. I hope they manage to keep it well for the rest of the series.

Also the internet sucks.
lostsilver
maybe the cuphead show?
you don't have to if you know you won't like it
it's on netflix if you do wanna watch it
keremaru
Can you cover Solo-Leveling? Either the original manhwa or anime adaptation is fine.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

eblf2013 wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

For an episode 1 of a series it was good. I hope they manage to keep it well for the rest of the series.

Also the internet sucks.
I don't like the argument of "it's just a pilot", because I'm aware of it, and I think it's fair to judge a show based on it's pilot, since the fucking point of a pilot is to try to sell the show. If no criticism is allowed because "it's just a pilot", what's the point of having a pilot?

+ I think this is pretty weak as a pilot, I think this start is weak all-around, I think chapter 1 for all my favourite shows and mangas is WAY stronger than this. + some of my criticism is about what can the show do in the future. I don't expect them to be able to tell a story about insanity in this hyper kid-friendly format

lostsilver wrote:

maybe the cuphead show?
I could watch it, but probably I will either dislike it or feel no strong emotions torwards it. I don't really see much of a world where I do end up loving it
lostsilver

Patatitta wrote:

lostsilver wrote:

maybe the cuphead show?
I could watch it, but probably I will either dislike it or feel no strong emotions torwards it. I don't really see much of a world where I do end up loving it
okay, tysm in advance!
Nuuskamuikkunen

Patatitta wrote:

eblf2013 wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Also the internet sucks.
I don't like the argument of "it's just a pilot", because I'm aware of it, and I think it's fair to judge a show based on it's pilot, since the fucking point of a pilot is to try to sell the show. If no criticism is allowed because "it's just a pilot", what's the point of having a pilot?

+ I think this is pretty weak as a pilot, I think this start is weak all-around, I think chapter 1 for all my favourite shows and mangas is WAY stronger than this. + some of my criticism is about what can the show do in the future. I don't expect them to be able to tell a story about insanity in this hyper kid-friendly format
Opinion box
Well, never said it's not valid just to judge by a pilot, as I have a somewhat more... well, lenient policy for them. Pilots by nature are somewhat meh by nature. I just found it to be very good for just being a pilot made by an independent group (of which I tend to be more lenient to as well).

What I really expect is this to be more of a mystery/suspense show, because if they go to just the insanity way... it might flop hard for me... Solve the damn mystery and we'll be fine, right, Glitch? Don't make this a DHMIS v2 or a generic analog horror stuff.

I have a few criticisms for the characters too, for example aside from Caine and Pomni the rest of the cast was... existing, kind of difficult to flesh out everyone in 22 minutes. Didn't like much how Pomni's stress was portrayed either, it was way too fast, too rushed to be believable and even exaggerated.

Speaking of beginnings, recommend me stuff that has a great beginning. Preferably anime/manga, can be stuff I have in my PTW.
KatouMegumi

keremaru wrote:

Can you cover Solo-Leveling? Either the original manhwa or anime adaptation is fine.
It has anime adaptation? Damn.
keremaru

KatouMegumi wrote:

keremaru wrote:

It has anime adaptation? Damn.
Episodes just started releasing mid-January, so I wouldn't blame people if they haven't heard yet. The only reason I know is because one of my friends started a watch-along.
MrMcMikey22
Potato Brain, if you get used to watching hours and hours and hours of content, why can't you sit through the first episode of BFDI? ;_;
Nuuskamuikkunen

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

Potato Brain, if you get used to watching hours and hours and hours of content, why can't you sit through the first episode of BFDI? ;_;
Not him and not talking about BFDI in particular but if I find something that my brain says "nope" to, I won't watch/read/do it regardless of length. Or will take an absurd amount of time or brain energy to.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

MrMcMikey22 wrote:

I sat through the first TWO episodes of BFDI, and I did not like it. I just really dislike game shows and that sort of stuff.

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

eblf2013 wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

Also the internet sucks.

Opinion box
Well, never said it's not valid just to judge by a pilot, as I have a somewhat more... well, lenient policy for them. Pilots by nature are somewhat meh by nature. I just found it to be very good for just being a pilot made by an independent group (of which I tend to be more lenient to as well).

What I really expect is this to be more of a mystery/suspense show, because if they go to just the insanity way... it might flop hard for me... Solve the damn mystery and we'll be fine, right, Glitch? Don't make this a DHMIS v2 or a generic analog horror stuff.

I have a few criticisms for the characters too, for example aside from Caine and Pomni the rest of the cast was... existing, kind of difficult to flesh out everyone in 22 minutes. Didn't like much how Pomni's stress was portrayed either, it was way too fast, too rushed to be believable and even exaggerated.

Speaking of beginnings, recommend me stuff that has a great beginning. Preferably anime/manga, can be stuff I have in my PTW.
I get that, it's just an independent studio doing an yt thing and it's impressive that they have managed something like that. However, at the end of my day, if I have to choose between two shows, and one is just drastically better than the other, even if the other option is an indie, i'm not really going to watch it. I want to see the things I enjoy the most, no matter if it's indie or not. I do enjoy a lot of indie movies, series, and games, because I believe they're superior than their high budget companions. But I don't think that is the case for the amazing digital circus

keremaru wrote:

you FOOL, I have already read through solo leveling!

it was alright, i'm not the biggest fan of it, I read it half a year ago so i'm just going of memory here, but yeah

The most surprising aspect of this manwha is that it's full color, which is very impressive. But after a while you get used to it and don't think too about it, the art itself is fine. There are no incredibly striking panels I remember, it's just average

The story itself is also pretty simple, a member of the family of the protagonist is sick, they're working as a hunter to make some money, shit happens. They are able to level up their skills, something that should not be possible in that world, so they just become really op, My biggest complain is that this plotline is resolved wayy too early, but due to plot reasons, the guy just continues to fight and level up and becomes very edgy, and I dislike edgy protagonists. I just think the plot loses a lot of force in their second half, they're not really fighting for a cause anymore, they are just forced to keep fighting against different enemies because he is forced too, there isn't really any really banger storytelling behind with an insane message or whatever. The guy is just there being edgy[/spoilers]

The actual leveling process is straight up taken from MMORPG's like many other fantasy stories. And I do think there are some pretty applications for it. [spoiler]one of my favourite scenes is when the protagonist didn't accept the daily quest rewards on purpose, that way. In one fight that they were about to die, they were TPed out of the fight, and they were able to save their life because of it. I thought that was incredibly neat, and I was excited to see that technique be used again in the future. Something that didn't happen.
One of my complains is while the protagonist learns new tricks, the insane ammount of power-scaling just outshadows it. The final fight is not a culmination of all that the progonist has learned, it's just doing their basic attacks thing but now that they are 100000% stronger

It's also purely action too, so while a lot of characters are introduced, barely are explored since it's more important to see how sung jinwoo nukes those enemies.

from my point of view, solo leveling was just pretty average with a couple things I did dislike, it's not something I would recommend to people

---

no update on book

haven't started game

next: happy new year
Hydreigon

Patatitta wrote:

dude your 21 days late for new year...

-

checking your mal..

Have you watched Akira yet?
if not, then maybe give it a try?
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Hydreigon wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

dude your 21 days late for new year...

-

checking your mal..

Have you watched Akira yet?
if not, then maybe give it a try?
I could give akira a try, anime or manga?
Hydreigon
the anime is cool, maybe try that first
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Hydreigon wrote:

the anime is cool, maybe try that first
will add to list

---

cant find subtitles for the happy new year movie so I have to skip it, higurashi is next, but i'm currently watching mononoke so I will watch it after I finish that

I continued reading book

have not started game
Topic Starter
Patatitta
Genocidal Organ (I finally finished it!)

This is a military fiction mistery book. The premise of the book on itself is pretty simple, simplifying A LOT, there is this bad guy called john paul and our protagonist has to stop them from like commiting more genocides

The most interesting part for me isn't the story itself, but what topics are covered in the story, as it explores deeply the nature of war. It makes the argument that in the future war will become so expensive that no ammount of control over the natural resources will make war worth it. However, war will still happen due to things like patriotism

I agree with the point than even if wart isn't worth it, it will still happen. War IRL isn't really an objectively right thing to do. Even if you take the morality out of it, a lot of wars do happen due to factors like religious extremism.

It also disscussed how war, murders, and other clearly awful things, can be seen as a positive in the right circustances. Our protagonist is a member of a government organization, which does make seem their action less bad. however, the acts that they're commiting in order to stop john paul are also on that same level. John paul is still worse, but the protagonist develops PTSD midway through due to the things they're forced to do and see

This is all twisted with the character of john paul, if war isn't objective, it can be seen as a positive thing, and is a part of human nature (they give the example of war and conflict happening on uncivilized tribes). Under what moral grounds are they convicting john paul? aren't they just acting human?

The answer to that question is very complicated, and the way john paul was made to stop murdering people at the end of the book is not appliable to every single human being on earth. The book does not exactly give a concrete answer, but it doesn't really need to, just raising that question is enough IMO

I liked this book, for me, i'm not the biggest fan of military things, so it was a little bit difficult to get the motivation to read the book, but I can see the appeal and I can really appreciate what the book does. I also have to say, at the end of the book it talks a little bit about the life of the author, and damn, I really feel bad for them

Lived a difficult life it seems, graduated art college at the age of 33, had to work as a web designer. Finally published a book in that same year, people really liked it, they were nominated for awards, and then they got cancer and died shortly after, at the age of 34.

The monet they fianlly were able to follow their dream, became a successful author, started talking with bignames, they just get cancer and die. That is just fucking cruel, I feel so bad for them. I hope they lived a happy life at leaast

-------

next: harmony (another book by the same guy who wrote this)

haven't started rhythm doctor

started higurashi
Ymir
Happy New Year did have English subtitles on Netflix, but I'm not sure about Spanish.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Ymir wrote:

Happy New Year did have English subtitles on Netflix, but I'm not sure about Spanish.
I dont have netflix and I don't care about english subtitles or spanish, it just that I didn't find the SRT file anywhere
his everything

Patatitta wrote:

devilman crybaby:

I love masaaki yuasa, they're my favourite anime director, however, I think this is my least favourite anime that i've seen from them, mainly because of the source material. And mainly because i'm not into action

The animation style and OST for the anime are incredibly good, thing is, while their other works like ping pong the animation or the tatami galaxy are more for older audiences, devilman is just pure raw shounen. The action scenes are a lot more messy than in ping pong, as they're just mostly fluff.

I'm also pretty sad that they didn't allow yuasa to make an ending, since the ending for the tatami galaxy is the greatest ending in anime history.

Now, I do believe that this is one of the best shounen i've seen. I've enjoyed it more than chainsaw man and the others. Mainly as it is not that much focused on the action scenes and the plot itself is nice. I was not the biggest fan of the first episode, but I feel the ending plot twist made me enjoy that start.

so yeah, good anime, doesn't fall in the pitraps of other shounen anime and has an amazing ost and animation. There isn't really anything more I want to say
i'm glad you liked my fav anime :)
Topic Starter
Patatitta
Happy new year

I've finally found the movie, but NGL, I wasn't able to finish it, 3 hours of this is just way too much LMAO

there is nothing to analyze here, it's a weird crime comedy with buff indian men punching each other in the most dramatic, over the top and epic way, filled with comedy and musical numbers. There also many musical numbers. I'm generally not a fan of action, so wihle it was fun for a little while, i'm not sitting for this entire movie. I enjoyed RRR but that was an expcetion, I don't really know why I got into RRR and not this movie, but yeah, RRR sweep
Karmine

Patatitta wrote:

Genocidal Organ (I finally finished it!)
This is a military fiction mistery book. The premise of the book on itself is pretty simple, simplifying A LOT, there is this bad guy called john paul and our protagonist has to stop them from like commiting more genocides

The most interesting part for me isn't the story itself, but what topics are covered in the story, as it explores deeply the nature of war. It makes the argument that in the future war will become so expensive that no ammount of control over the natural resources will make war worth it. However, war will still happen due to things like patriotism

I agree with the point than even if wart isn't worth it, it will still happen. War IRL isn't really an objectively right thing to do. Even if you take the morality out of it, a lot of wars do happen due to factors like religious extremism.

It also disscussed how war, murders, and other clearly awful things, can be seen as a positive in the right circustances. Our protagonist is a member of a government organization, which does make seem their action less bad. however, the acts that they're commiting in order to stop john paul are also on that same level. John paul is still worse, but the protagonist develops PTSD midway through due to the things they're forced to do and see

This is all twisted with the character of john paul, if war isn't objective, it can be seen as a positive thing, and is a part of human nature (they give the example of war and conflict happening on uncivilized tribes). Under what moral grounds are they convicting john paul? aren't they just acting human?

The answer to that question is very complicated, and the way john paul was made to stop murdering people at the end of the book is not appliable to every single human being on earth. The book does not exactly give a concrete answer, but it doesn't really need to, just raising that question is enough IMO

I liked this book, for me, i'm not the biggest fan of military things, so it was a little bit difficult to get the motivation to read the book, but I can see the appeal and I can really appreciate what the book does. I also have to say, at the end of the book it talks a little bit about the life of the author, and damn, I really feel bad for them

Lived a difficult life it seems, graduated art college at the age of 33, had to work as a web designer. Finally published a book in that same year, people really liked it, they were nominated for awards, and then they got cancer and died shortly after, at the age of 34.

The monet they fianlly were able to follow their dream, became a successful author, started talking with bignames, they just get cancer and die. That is just fucking cruel, I feel so bad for them. I hope they lived a happy life at leaast

-------

next: harmony (another book by the same guy who wrote this)

haven't started rhythm doctor

started higurashi
Glad you liked it :) The end is kind of weird and honestly I didn't understand everything the first time I read it. It makes more sense after reading Harmony since they mention it, even though it's never explained in detail we just know that something happened and we can assume that something is what happens after the end of Genocidal Organ. I'm not sure if it's really intended by the author or if it's just fan speculation but it does fit very well.
Also yeah the author's story is very sad.
Behrauder
Hatoful Boyfriend.
Topic Starter
Patatitta

Behrauder wrote:

Hatoful Boyfriend.
1- fuck you
2- this has been on my staesm wishlist for over a year now LMAO, will play it
Karmine

Behrauder wrote:

Hatoful Boyfriend.
Was tempted to post that here too.
Behrauder

Karmine wrote:

Behrauder wrote:

Hatoful Boyfriend.
Was tempted to post that here too.
Immediately after I posted that, I installed it and started playing the game with my younger brother, too bad it's in English and I had to stop to use Google Translate sometimes...
Manishh
me
his everything

Manishh wrote:

me
no
Manishh

Anaxii wrote:

Manishh wrote:

me
no
sad
Kobold84

Anaxii wrote:

Manishh wrote:

me
no
mae
sametdze
bro there's a mandela effect in this thread and i just realised it 💀
Hydreigon

sametdze wrote:

which?
sametdze

Hydreigon wrote:

sametdze wrote:

which?
not in one of the movies patatitta reviewed, its actually in patattita's main thread

ill wait for someone to also realise
Topic Starter
Patatitta

sametdze wrote:

Hydreigon wrote:

sametdze wrote:

which?
not in one of the movies patatitta reviewed, its actually in patattita's main thread

there is no mandela effect, everything is as I remember it being
sametdze

Patatitta wrote:

sametdze wrote:

Hydreigon wrote:

sametdze wrote:

which?

welp i guess i might as well drop it

when you sayed "ned flanders in the AYA thread by also sametdze" i could've sworn it was "also by sametdze" and not "by also sametdze"
Fhaye
Victor Magtangol
Topic Starter
Patatitta

sametdze wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

sametdze wrote:

Hydreigon wrote:

sametdze wrote:

which?

welp i guess i might as well drop it

when you sayed "ned flanders in the AYA thread by also sametdze" i could've sworn it was "also by sametdze" and not "by also sametdze"
nah you're just missremembering

Fhaye wrote:

Victor Magtangol
I assume the tv show from 2018? I don't know absolutely nothing about this
Topic Starter
Patatitta
I have watched both higurashi (s1) and 8 mile

-------------Higurashi--------------

Full disclosure, my brother has been recommending me that I watch higurashi since like 6 years ago, so i'm biased against higurashi just because I have a mental block on the anime. I've just told my brother that i'm not interested in watching it so many times that actually watching it now is harder

So I finished higurashi (s1, original, 2006, not the remake). And while I got adviced that I watch the second season too, I just don't know if i'm really feeling it

Higurashi a mistery/horror anime where the protagonist moves into a town and learns that every year, during a festival, one person dies and another disappears. The story is told in a very strange way. The 24 chapter season is divided into many arcs, we have the question arcs, and the answer arcs. In the question arcs it will basically question your sanity as you wont understand shit (you can piece some stuff together but like you're missing 80% of the information). And then, in the answer arcs it gives you another perspective which should hopefully clue you in what the fuck happned

The anime doesn't show you a full chronology by the end, so you have a lot of pieces of what happened and it's your job to order them and learn what happened in your head

I don't dislike this format on itself, I think it can be pretty neat. But it really didn't grab me. The fact that it's horror doesn't really help that much either. There is a bunch of gore and pretty painful scenes. The scenes aren't that bad IMO. I have seen a lot worse in stuff that isn't horror. But I think in higurashi it was least tasteful than in those other things I've watched. The gore in higurashi feels more for shock than anything else. The idea is that you go "oh wow why did they do that????????" and you really get into the story, but my reaction is "oh come on I don't really want to watch this shit". But that is just me not liking horror or that type of scenes.

An example of a more gory scene that I like is that one scene in harakiri where they force a guy to commit harakiri with a wooden katana and it's like a 3 minute long scene of the guy struggling to kill themselves and slowly bleed out. Thing is, in harakiri, that scene was the climax of that part of the story, it was a representation of everything the movie wanted to say about honor, cruelty, and justice. How they can force someone to do something that inhuman in the name of honor yet the same samurai will lie to avoid a similar fate. Or dekalog 5, which had a lot of very bad scenes but that was as movie critizicing the death penalty.

Thing is that the combination of the question/answer format and horror is just not for me, as it happened that I was watching the anime, I had no clue what really was going on, I didn't have the information yet to really solve anything, and the fact that there were pretty distasteful scenes that didn't help me get engaged into the story, and only made the chapters that were already harder to watch even harder. I understand that for some people that gore helps them get into the story but i'm not them

What I do enjoy is that the story on itself isn't overly conveluted or anything. Once you learn of one of the plot twists that happens near the end of the anime, a lot of the things just begins start making a lot of sense. The story isn't hard to understand, it's just that the way that the story is told creates confusion.

You could argue that every mistery thing is kinda like that, where it just hides information to create the mistery, or not, there would be no mistery. But I think there is a difference between having just information that the protagonist doesn't know yet, and making them have to find it. And just telling the story in a way where a event that maybe happened very early in the story is told very late. I don't dislike on itself. But it's just combining that with horror that makes me less engaged on the story

the actual characters are fine, the actual plot is really neat, it just that the way that it was told and the other elements that were added into it amde me less engaged in the story, and even if Ienjoyed my time with higurashi, I don't think I want to continue it

-------------8 Mile--------------

8 Mile, AKA that one eminem movie

this movie would probably have been better if I was into rap. The movie is about this guy who is not eminem but it's inspired by eminem and played by eminem and how they had a rough start in life, but managed to pull through. So an underdog story about rap

The film is all about the living in the hood experience™, I don't know how accurate any of this is, I assume very little. It's all about the street cred and the reputation.

This movie isn't anything new, eminem isn't really an actor either, it's just if you enjoy eminem this movie is probably good but idk. For me it all felt very foreign to me, I can't really relate to anything that happened or whatever.

What I do enjoy about the story is how they humanize the protagonist. Eminem in this movie is a depressed mf who is trying to prove themselves constantly and overall being a douchbag, yet, they have a daughter, and it's on those scenes with the daughter that they show that while they're doing all of that stuff. It's more a result of the society that they were forced to live in, more than how they are as a person, I really appreciate that.

---

next: the cuphead show
Have yet to start game or book
Nuuskamuikkunen
I think I said Higurashi S2 focuses way less on horror and more on character development and solving the plot points. Yes it's still violent (although lighter) but I really recommend to continue.

Also, they made animation better too.
show more