forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Thing O Doom

milky228 wrote:

Thing O Doom wrote:

Sorry to bother, I'm a noob and don't really have a place in these discussions,

but recently since the new system came out, I've been playing harder maps (That I get a terrible score in).
I'll get like a B or C on a map, then come back to it later and beat my personal highscore on the map, then I visibly watch my ranking drop when the screen flash updates in the song stats screen. I know the system is unstable but I don't remember this being a thing in the old system, correct me if I'm wrong. This makes me not want to play online and improve w.w""
This happened to me in the old system and I put it down to people that were lower ranks than me moving up and therefore putting me down, I assumed this only updated after i'd played my first song. There also seems to be a bug on other gamemodes where peoples PP is going down after beating there personal best, I expect this will be patched soon if it's also affecting o!m.

Tom94 wrote:

Dropping your pp by beating your score is extremely unlikely in o!m. You'd need to get just barely more score with a lot worse accuracy for that to happen.

The rank drop most likely occured due to other people passing you, as it always has been already.
Ok, I think I can debunk this now, this morning I played a map and it shows my rank as ~7990, this was an unranked map so nothing was affected, this being just to make sure I didn't get overly surpassed while sleeping.
I then proceeded to play http://osu.ppy.sh/b/21334 (A pretty underplayed and easy map) for fun. The last time I played the map was awhile ago, and I got a low B on it, today I got a mid A on it with DT mod. After finishing the map I drop to 8006, where I currently am. There was not an accuracy decrease, I scored higher, and dropped rank, this is what I was talking about earlier. I don't care a gigantic amount about it, but I do use it as a sort of progress indicator. Cases like this are really confusing, and I'd like to know if this is intended behavior, so far though I do like the new system considerably better, I just don't remember this particular thing happening before.

If it's intended for me to drop in this manner I'll stop playing when inebriated or tired w.w""
Full Tablet

Thing O Doom wrote:

Ok, I think I can debunk this now, this morning I played a map and it shows my rank as ~7990, this was an unranked map so nothing was affected, this being just to make sure I didn't get overly surpassed while sleeping.
I don't think playing an unranked map triggers a rank refresh.
Thing O Doom

Full Tablet wrote:

Thing O Doom wrote:

I don't think playing an unranked map triggers a rank refresh.
The box with rank still flashes red, and updates from what I could tell, seeing as pass/fail stats are tracked for unranked maps?
Topic Starter
Tom94
pp only updates when you get a new high score on a map. It can be your first pass on a map you never played or it can be beating your best score on another map. Only ranked maps count, unranked ones won't trigger any change.
j1515jjj1313
我覺得應該要把所有分數統一!不然因為有些玩家是專練4K完7K歌根本被7K玩家壓分!排名就只有玩7K的玩家排前很不公平
October Scream

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/86188 <-- This is bullshit.

No one would play dt back then, now everyone is, and he's sprung up to the top because of key mods and dt. I don't care as much about dt, I care about the key mods coming back. So many players are better than that, and I don't know why they can't be up there?
Kamikaze

October Scream wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/86188 <-- This is bullshit. No one would play dt back then, now everyone is, and he's sprung up to the top because of key mods and dt. I don't care as much about dt, I care about the key mods coming back. So many players are better than that, and I don't know why they can't be up there?
Actually Staiain is one of the best 4K players in the world and he certanly deserves to be in top 50, even if he isn't that good at 7K, (air raid pls), but I get your point with ridiculus DT scalings. It's gotten to a point where you can get 1K pp for just playing autoconverts with 4K mod and even more with DT. It's definitly what we don't want to see. Autoconverts and DT are too heavily weighted imho
Topic Starter
Tom94

October Scream wrote:

No one would play dt back then, now everyone is, and he's sprung up to the top because of key mods and dt. I don't care as much about dt, I care about the key mods coming back. So many players are better than that, and I don't know why they can't be up there?
Can you name any players who are better than Staiain at stepmania style maps? What gives you the right to say which kind of skill is worth the most? I can understand if you disagree, that's totally valid, but try being less offensive. It's not like your opinion is worth more than that of other's.

#1 Judging from the general opinion here the DT bonus for pp will get removed for now. It might return when there has been found a solution regarding nomod plays overwriting DT, but as it is now it doesn't make much sense to have DT give a bonus.

#2 Keymods don't decrease pp gain at the moment. This will change.
October Scream

Tom94 wrote:

October Scream wrote:

Can you name any players who are better than Staiain at stepmania style maps? What gives you the right to say which kind of skill is worth the most? I can understand if you disagree, that's totally valid, but try being less offensive. It's not like your opinion is worth more than that of other's.

#1 Judging from the general opinion here the DT bonus for pp will get removed for now. It might return when there has been found a solution regarding nomod plays overwriting DT, but as it is now it doesn't make much sense to have DT give a bonus.

#2 Keymods don't decrease pp gain at the moment. This will change.
Right now, I can compare Furry. There are more players out there though, and the only reason Furry isn't high is because he is playing unranked maps it seems to me.
Topic Starter
Tom94

October Scream wrote:

Right now, I can compare Furry. There are more players out there though, and the only reason Furry isn't high is because he is playing unranked maps it seems to me.
"Only playing unranked maps" is not a valid argument. If you want performance points you have to perform on ranked maps. It's impossible to rate players skills while not having plays of them to see.
October Scream
I've spectated him, and he's good. May pass Staiain. He has dt ranks on autoconverts, but 4k, just like Staiain.
AlexDest

October Scream wrote:

I've spectated him, and he's good. May pass Staiain. He has dt ranks on autoconverts, but 4k, just like Staiain.
Any videos?
October Scream

AlexDest wrote:

Any videos?
His scarlet rose dt pass with 4k.
Staiain

October Scream wrote:

AlexDest wrote:

Any videos?
His scarlet rose dt pass with 4k.
I never made a video of that so that's made up oops
October Scream
That was about Furry actually Staiain.

I could record it with his permission.
Staiain
The difference is still pretty big as we're talking about a PASS vs FC first try so yeah >_>
QQQK
If you really think Scarlet Rose DT pass is impressive, then I suggest you go watch more videos, especially Staiain's. Your basis on what defines a "pro" player is severely flawed.

I can clear Scarlet Rose HDDT on 7K, and so can tons of other players. Does this make us all top #50 material?
October Scream

ZXCV wrote:

If you really think Scarlet Rose DT pass is impressive, then I suggest you go watch more videos, especially Staiain's. Your basis on what defines a "pro" player is severely flawed.

I can clear Scarlet Rose HDDT on 7K, and so can tons of other players. Does this make us all top #50 material?
I can do that as well, but it isn't #50 worthy.
QQQK
Good, so you agree that passes on DT autoconverts are completely obsolete when it comes to gauging a player's skill.
Case closed.
October Scream

ZXCV wrote:

Good, so you agree that passes on DT autoconverts are completely obsolete when it comes to gauging a player's skill.
Case closed.
Didn't we decided that already? That's why it's not giving pp now.
Bites

October Scream wrote:

ZXCV wrote:

Case closed.
Didn't we decided that already? That's why it's not giving pp now.
you appeared to miss the emphasis on the word passes

so let me point it out for you

DT wasn't disabled because it is worthless. it is disabled because within the boundaries of the current scoring system, it is confusing and hard to calculate. both DT and keymod converts will return to the PP algorithm once tom94 figures out what to do with them, and this has been stated explicitly
October Scream
I find it moronic how you guys are mainly blaming me and aiming most threats at me. Many other users have spoken about this, and are tired of it.

I'm just the one that spoke up. This is all of their opinions plus mine, so go scout them out and threaten them.
Bites

October Scream wrote:

I find it moronic how you guys are mainly blaming me and aiming most threats at me. Many other users have spoken about this, and are tired of it.

I'm just the one that spoke up. This is all of their opinions plus mine, so go scout them out and threaten them.
october scream, you are ignoring my post and every point we have made.

THIS IS FROM YOUR USERPAGE

if you are going to spearhead a movement to get keymods unranked, you should expect that we will confront you about these issues we have with your argument. we have not made a SINGLE threat, nor are we blaming you. we are simply asking you to explain yourself and refute what we are saying.

until you are willing to do so, this is the last i have to say on the matter
October Scream

Bites wrote:

October Scream wrote:

october scream, you are ignoring my post and every point we have made.

THIS IS FROM YOUR USERPAGE

if you are going to spearhead a movement to get keymods unranked, you should expect that we will confront you about these issues we have with your argument. we have not made a SINGLE threat, nor are we blaming you. we are simply asking you to explain yourself and refute what we are saying.

until you are willing to do so, this is the last i have to say on the matter
I'm aware of that petition. I started it because no one else would.

If you want me to explain, fine. I didn't like it when key modders would pass other players, but I have no use of that petition now actually since it's been fixed already.
Topic Starter
Tom94
DT mode now doesn't give any kind of pp bonus anymore (as most people voted in here ) and key-mods don't give any pp until their difficulty has been calculated in isolation. keymods giving pp was an oversight on my end, I apologize for that one. They will resume giving pp as soon as difficulty data is available for everything.

October Scream wrote:

If you want me to explain, fine. I didn't like it when key modders would pass other players, but I have no use of that petition now actually since it's been fixed already.
keymods will return as soon as difficulty data is there, so your petition hasn't been "fixed". They'll likely will be worth less, though, since converts away from 7K usually end up easier.
Bites

Bites wrote:

this is the last i have to say on the matter
i rescind this statement

October Scream wrote:

you are aware though that the issue hasn't been 'fixed' yet, and this is simply a temporary solution until tom94 is able to properly calculate the difference in scoring between the different keymods? in no way is DT or keymodding going to remain unranked. i had JUST said this in an earlier post:

Bites wrote:

both DT and keymod converts will return to the PP algorithm once tom94 figures out what to do with them, and this has been stated explicitly
since you missed it, and i have reason to believe you will miss it again, let me yet again point it out to you

October Scream
I have read all of your posts Bites, and it was fixed before today to a point I was fine with. I realize how stupid that petition was, so I stopped caring for it and totally forgot about it. That petition was 2 months old. I won't answer everything you post though, because either I don't know how to or I'm fine with it.

So I'm fine with the temporary solution right now.
Halogen-
I am glad that DT and key-mod conversions will return to the rankings at the least. I will agree as a osu!mania player who could have probably taken Staiain's speed route to reach the top 10-20 despite not being able to proficiently play above 6k -- the PP scaling could have definitely been improved a bit.

I wanted to make a suggestion about separating performance points by keys in osu!mania since you're practically playing different games when you add keys, but... one of the toughest parts about scoring in osu!mania is that most players who can play higher key beat-maps are (usually) also capable of playing lower ones as well, making separated scoreboards/ranks by key a bit redundant for those who can play 8k all the way down to 4k.
PyaKura

Halogen- wrote:

I am glad that DT and key-mod conversions will return to the rankings at the least. I will agree as a osu!mania player who could have probably taken Staiain's speed route to reach the top 10-20 despite not being able to proficiently play above 6k -- the PP scaling could have definitely been improved a bit.

I wanted to make a suggestion about separating performance points by keys in osu!mania since you're practically playing different games when you add keys, but... one of the toughest parts about scoring in osu!mania is that most players who can play higher key beat-maps are (usually) also capable of playing lower ones as well, making separated scoreboards/ranks by key a bit redundant for those who can play 8k all the way down to 4k.
I'm a 7K player, I suck at everything which is not 7K, sorry. :|
Halogen-

PyaKura wrote:

Halogen- wrote:

I'm a 7K player, I suck at everything which is not 7K, sorry. :|
You are quite the outlier. :P
Layne_old_1

October Scream wrote:

I don't think anyone other than Stian can Disregard 1.2 AA or TOML 1.6

not to mention stupid crazy scores like Vertex Gamma FC.

I mean 300 bpm streams are easily managable by most of the veteran players on Stepmania but when you take it past 400 bpm it's inhuman.

At least post a video?
Yuzeyun

Bites wrote:

both DT and keymod converts will return to the PP algorithm
is this why I fell from 350 to 5k rank ROFL
(my current BP are 2 mania 4K, all the rest non-keymodded converts except Sweet Rain [Normal])
falkon13
So just to check this at this moment in time playing a map with a keymod will give you 0pp?
Topic Starter
Tom94

falkon13 wrote:

So just to check this at this moment in time playing a map with a keymod will give you 0pp?
Yes. But even if you get 0pp for doing a score right now, this very score will resume to giving pp once difficulty per-keymod has been implemented. This means you're not losing anything in the long run by playing with keymods now.
lolpoi_old
I'm just wondering why i have 277 pp while some people are at 5-7 thousand pp, why is the difference so big?
Is it because im not ranking high in songs or what?
PyaKura
Autoconverts don't weigh as much as mania-spec maps do. Also, you get more pp by clearing harder difficulties, especially in mania-spec mapsets.
Xcrypt
Probably because playing autoconverts held back your improvement for osu!mania.
Staiain
To me it just looks like October Scream is just a slow pp farmer that wants to ruin the game and stop actual skilled people from being able to get good ranks, rather than just suck it up and improve his own skill
Halogen-

Staiain wrote:

To me it just looks like October Scream is just a slow pp farmer that wants to ruin the game and stop actual skilled people from being able to get good ranks, rather than just suck it up and improve his own skill
Ouch.

Although, it's a quite deserved response considering that this thread was quiet until he called the situation bullshit and had a hissy-fit, haha
October Scream

Halogen- wrote:

Staiain wrote:

Ouch.

Although, it's a quite deserved response considering that this thread was quiet until he called the situation bullshit and had a hissy-fit, haha
I spoke up because I found it unfair for those who have skill with all key densities instead of people with one set density being in the top past those players. If anything, Staiain needs to improve his other key skills like every other player is doing instead of sticking to 4k just to farm.
show more