forum

Does anyone here speak/learn Japanese?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Pokebis
I'm learning it now, but being a native english speaker makes it a bit difficult because of the differences. Eastern and Western languages are incredibly different so it's difficult to learn one after knowing the other.
Azure_Kite
I started learning it about a year ago. Since English is my native language I found it tricky at first, but once I learnt a bit, the rest started to be understood easier.

Now all I need to do is focus focus focus on learning more kanji... orz
Senbon
I'm in my second year of Japanese class right now.

It's going quite smoothly, my teacher is great.

I actually really like kanji while everyone else whines, to be honest. That's +1 to "how much more peculiar Senbon can be."

Hey, anyone learned the Mori no Kuma song? Best song I've ever heard. :D
Echo
先に「来年日本語を大学に勉強する」って言ったけど、今勉強しないかもしれないと思います。日本語なら、自分で習えますからね。
Gens

Echo wrote:

先に「来年日本語を大学に勉強する」って言ったけど、今勉強しないかもしれないと思います。日本語なら、自分で習えますからね。
D:

Topic: I'm not really interested in learning Japanese. :P
Derekku
I think I already posted here but oh well orz

I'm interested in learning </weeaboo> but it wouldn't be the best thing to do right now. I'm already heading towards a college minor in Spanish, so that's enough language for my brain for now...
MegaManEXE
I'd love to learn any of the eastern Asian languages, but I have no idea how to get started learning. I don't really think Rosetta Stone or anything like that is the best way to go but I don't have any classes offered at my college in any of those languages.

:/
adam2046
You could read a book.
Use the internet.
Ask someone who knows to get you started.
A combination of all three.
MegaManEXE

adam2046 wrote:

You could read a book.
Use the internet.
Ask someone who knows to get you started.
A combination of all three.
Fuck books
Internet...I'm not really sure where to begin and I don't really trust a lot of the information that's out there quite honestly
And I don't know anybody who speaks them irl, only some online friends (I would imagine typing on MSN is not very effective as to learning how a language is spoken)
adam2046
Just do some google searches, almost all of the information will be quite useful to you.
Show some initiative.
And read some books...seriously they're good for you.
MegaManEXE

adam2046 wrote:

Just do some google searches, almost all of the information will be quite useful to you.
Show some initiative.
And read some books...seriously they're good for you.
What I meant is that I could go find any old site that tells me how to speak Japanese and it could tell me a whole bunch of incorrect shit and I'd believe it because I wouldn't know any better and have nobody to tell me if I'm doing it wrong
adam2046
Just do it.
Echo
http://guidetojapanese.org is great for a grammar-oriented approach. It's better than textbooks imo.
MegaManEXE
Cool, thanks Echo
minyeob
adam you're so mean:;
btw

I just learned that "kanji" is 漢字 wtf

感じ(kanji, feeling)
This kanji is well-known word in Korea orz
So I misunderstood kanji's meaning until this time......

I need to learn Japanese for my future. (To get ready for my 2nd foreign language class)
Echo
漢字 is "hanja" in korean, right?
DustyZA
Anime has made me interested in learning Japanese, but till I convince a friend to learn as well don`t think its gonna happen.
At least I know one word ,which you all can guess.
Ekaru
banana/tomato, has to be one of those two!

BTW, year 2 has been going well so far. Kanji is fun, and figuring out the meanings of when various ones are put together is a way to pass the time (and occasionally go insane).
minyeob
@Echo
Yes, we call 漢字 as "hanja"

Actually, there is no hanja in any kind of Korean sentences.
But most of Korean word (over 70%) can be changed into 漢字.

Not using hanja has a fatal weak point.
For example, "정의" can be changed to 定義(definition), 正義(justice), 正意(correct meaning) etc. etc.
We have to think about the context before translating a word.
Korean has a lot of homonyms >_>

Some kanjis have a multiple pronuncations to solve this problem.
But 1 hanja has only 1 pronuncation.

Korean / Japanese are come from Chinese.
The difference is, Korean is a new-language(it's an absolutely different language if Korean don't use hanja) and Japanese is a fixed-language(kanas are based on Chinese words)
mekadon_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ryuukun
I'm learning it on my own way like i did with english.
I expect me to speak it somewhat flusy in around, 2 years.
alvisto

MegaManEXE wrote:

I'd love to learn any of the eastern Asian languages, but I have no idea how to get started learning. I don't really think Rosetta Stone or anything like that is the best way to go but I don't have any classes offered at my college in any of those languages.

:/
I am currently learning right now, and you could use a game in DS called "My Japanese Coach" to learn it too. It's quite effective until now... xD

*still memorizing hiragana... O.O*
Topic Starter
peppy

mekadon95 wrote:

Okay I'm taking JPLT2.lol
Still encounter problems w/kanji, especially Lv.7+ kanji :o

BTW, I learn 日本語 BECAUSE OF TAIKO xD
Sitting JLPT1級 this year. お互いに頑張ろう!
5ku112
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
mekadon_old

5ku112 wrote:

Can any of you recommend a good way to learn Japanese? I'm rather curious about learning this language.
For basic grammar, here's the link:http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

@peppy: just wanna know, how hard is JPLT2?
Topic Starter
peppy
It's as hard as you make it for yourself. You can easily find past papers on the net so why not just try some if you haven't already?
mekadon_old

peppy wrote:

It's as hard as you make it for yourself. You can easily find past papers on the net so why not just try some if you haven't already?
Darn, just found them at the JPLT Website.lol
For 2006, it's okay...
*googling for papers*
xomstor
As for me i learn Japanese using Nintendo ds's "My Japanese Coach"
Screenshots:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/950647-my-ja ... ach/images
Really hard to learn kanji...
mekadon_old
Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:45 pm (over 11 months ago)
Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 pm (5 hours ago)
What
IppE
Its a nifty thread so it ok to bump it imo.

I myself only know the basic anime japanese vocabulary :roll:
Numbbi

IppE602 wrote:

dkun

Numbbi wrote:

IppE602 wrote:

*cough*
Neo@lex
That reminds me, I recieved an A* grade at GCSE Japanese a few months ago. I should probably take JLPT N5 or something before I start to forget shit. I'm told GCSE is roughly the same level as N4, but I'm not entirely sure.
mekadon_old
Spend your money on the fees of N5, just to be in a safe side. Go for N4 if you want though
Pashune
I tried a lot of those basic practice things online; they seemed okay but I'd lose interest way too easily, so I downloaded an audiobook for learning Japanese.. but it only got me so far, and by that, I only mean some very basic sentence structure and some vocabulary.

By now, I've already forgotten most of what I learned some months back. :(

I'm just gonna wait until I can either find some classes on it or just find a friend who knows it pretty well. The books and the audio aren't helping me.. :cry:

Unless you guys have some better ideas..
Firo Prochainezo
When I was more younger I was really into Japanese and I learned a lot from friends, books and stuff like that (I never used anime for learning Japanese because it's stupid, really).
Now I'm not interested in Japanese anymore because I don't see any useful ways to use it in California.
Pokebis

Pashune wrote:

Unless you guys have some better ideas..
Pirate shows and books that teach Japanese and then talk to people streaming on Nico Nico Douga over Skype.
OnosakiHito
I learn japanese by myself and I'm on a lvl where I can talk with japanese people a little bit/well.
It's really easy for me to learn jpn because I'm from serbia and there we have maybe 20%~40% words/sentences who are exactly the same like in jpn. Example:
jpn: sou da ne or kakkoii (vocal exact the same like srb)
srb: sto da ne or kakoe (vocal exact the same like jpn)
So I don't have to learn so much. Well, but it's also because I have a huge interest to this language.

I was also a short time in a japanese course. That helped me a lot to improve my grammar.
And now I'm gonna go this year to Japan, so I can use it and learn more about the language.
Atm I know 150 Kanjis.

僕の日本語は今ノーグーです。でもいつか僕の日本語は良いです!w
日本語を話すのは大好き~!

みんな・さん、またね!
Haneii
I'm currently taking a beginner course in school right now....my midterm's this Friday :S

For those looking for learning material, here's a romaji version of the textbook I use for class (this one's an older edition though) http://fliiby.com/file/39936/x4jm86ofzz.html.
Daru
smart.fm is great for learning your voacb.

Using anime to learn Japanese isn't necessarily bad, but it shouldn't be your own tool. Obviously, watching shows if any kind in a language that you are learning will help.

That said, I shudder to think of a conversation with a Japanese person who has learned about English and American culture entirely from episodes of Familiy Guy and Glee.
show more