forum

What's the minimum age to join osu! ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
martingrooves
Is there a age limit or not?
Flanster
I haven't heard of any but its recommended they can at least be able to read so they know rules exist.
qwt
E10+
- Lena -
I don't think, it limited.

Everyone can play this game...
atneserureborn
as long as they can reading a text and understanding a rules on osu! very well, it's fine no matters how's age they are
Lights
Individual countries have laws that dictate age minimums. 13 is a very common one.
Hydreigon
as long as the kids don't play the 18+ explicit maps, they should be fine.
[LS]PositoniX

Lights wrote:

Individual countries have laws that dictate age minimums. 13 is a very common one.
you're right, but judging by the amount of kids on the internet, i doubt many people pay attention to these minimums. besides, these laws are very rarely if ever enforced.
ieu-
Until they are born from the whom
MouseBoy_old_1

Hydreigon wrote:

as long as the kids don't play the 18+ explicit maps, they should be fine.
osu! isn`t have many map is 18+ so don`t worry because I never see any map is 18+
[AlphaCentauri]
Afaik there isn't an age limit on here.
Dialect
anyone can join osu, although the community itself is more mature. i'm assuming osu doesn't cater to younger players a lot because of the amount of anime that isn't dbz or naruto. there are dbz and naruto maps, yes, but it's not the most popular (besides op 16 ofc, but that's just because it's iconic in its own right). other animes (like hanasaku iroha and another) have been popularized a bit due to certain songs being promoted. another is downright gory, and i dunno about hanasaku iroha.

i don't see many 8 year olds playing this game tbh.
Shawntell
idk really.. but I joined when I was 13
Makan1
I didn't think this could ever be a concern that would be brought up, is it even worth giving a legitimate answer
Binari
I never saw an age minimum for Osu. I assume that it's rated E, but considering the small amount of explicit songs on osu, they should be at least 13, but that's just my opinion.
Corne2Plum3
I think there isn't minimum age for this game because the game try to be for all ages (there is not too many NSFW maps). If there is very very very young players, I think they will not go to forums.

If you want a age, in my opinion, it's 3 years for the solo mode (before the screen destroy eyes), 10 for the multiplayer mode and 13 for the forums (18 for the Off-topic lol)
DeletedUser_6709840
13 is the usual age for minors to be able to browse certain sites. osu! is meant to be a 13+ game because it's an online community and you can't entirely control what happens one the internet. 18+ lyrics are allowed in songs but ranking criteria requires those maps be tagged in the beatmap description so people can consent to the content.

However, there are beatmaps with explicit words in the song preview. So, being 13+ would probably be more apt because teens have more critical thinking in the content they consume than, say, a 6 year old or a 10 year old. (then again, not all 13 year olds are very bright)
Hydreigon

MouseBoy wrote:

osu! isn`t have many map is 18+ so don`t worry because I never see any map is 18+
Actually there's quite a ton of 18+ maps that are even ranked today. Most of these have bad words and could be bad to listen to if you're younger
examples
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
...and a bunch more that im too lazy to link to (i spent an hour looking for these maps lol)

do take note that these are "Ranked" maps, theres stil more NSFW stuff in the Graveyard section...
qwt
fucking cringe you don't need to see this
Glowix
@Reforms Expert

It is true that not everyone on osu! is a child, but it is reasonable to gatekeep children from negative influences to avoid legalities. The sad truth is, the laws come first before the playerbase. I do disagree with many of your points though, it seems like most of your points are based off personal opinion and don't include and logical evidence. Children under 13 tend to - not all - be immature, create discord, and break rules. They are also easily prone to negative influence, and while it is considered to be the parent's jobs to take care of their online habits we also have a duty to ensure they are protected online and we are not affecting them negatively. It's not totally unreasonable to suggest age barriers to stop these things from happening - because when things do happen it costs people's time, resources and money.

However I agree that 10+ for multiplayer and 18+ for forums seem unrealistic, maybe a general 13+ would suffice.

* I think the 18+ maps refer more to the lewd backgrounds on many beatmaps though... cough cough harumachi clover cough cough chika dance. I can't play 1/2 my maps in public because they have lewd backgrounds and they appear for like 0.5 seconds after a restart even tho background dim is 100% lol.
show more