Key presses per second program

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Roan

IxWolfie wrote:

Roan wrote:

o: you're talking about tracked keys. Since I've improved the modifier system I suppose that could be implemented. I'll give it a go tomorrow if I have time. Not sure how I'm going to visually display that the key has Ctrl and/or Alt added though.

So just to check I now understand it. You want the option to track key presses for a key-modifier combination such as Alt+4.
Yes, that's it! Sorry for being difficult, lmao. I'm using for something COMPLETELY unrelated to osu. I'm actually using it for an MMO, where some of my skill hotkeys are alt+1-5 for example. On top of that, some of my hotkeys are 1-5. So, I want it to track the key combinations alt+1, through alt+5, as well as 1-5 as separate keys. This is the only program that actually has a decent GUI to it to show on a video, or on stream perhaps.

For tracking it, you could just do A+1, or C+1? It'd keep it small, so it doesn't stick super far out of the physical key icon that's there, perhaps?
:) okay, now I can start adding it ;) . I don't really have a strict ETA but I think I'll be able to get it done before the end of this week.
I never even though about using it for an MMO though xD. But it's a very valid use, so I'll be adding support for keys with one or more of the three modifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl) I added shift since that is the modifier key I use in MMO's :D .
IxWolfie

Roan wrote:

:) okay, now I can start adding it ;) . I don't really have a strict ETA but I think I'll be able to get it done before the end of this week.
I never even though about using it for an MMO though xD. But it's a very valid use, so I'll be adding support for keys with one or more of the three modifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl) I added shift since that is the modifier key I use in MMO's :D .
Take your time! No rush at all!
Topic Starter
Roan

Kizunuko-P wrote:

Good kps programs for osu (or other games), thanks you :D
Btw, I don't know if this is a bug, but, when I add key on the kps, some show a totally different thing, like the key ": or /" on a azerty keyboard is show as "barre oblique" (french word for choosing "/") or the key "! or §" is show as "¥" or even the shift key on the right show an error "unknown keycode: 0xe36" ;w;
So I was wondering if you can do something for this because it's really weird
Here a screen of the programs when launched : http://i.imgur.com/160g6zJ.png
Here one on the key panel : http://i.imgur.com/w0I0MUu.png

This should now mostly be fixed in version 6.2 :D. The only thing I'm not sure about is the "¥" and shift case.

IxWolfie wrote:

Roan wrote:

Take your time! No rush at all!

Implemented :D, I haven't tested it very thoroughly though so there might still be some bugs.

P.S. One minor detail is that pressing the key and after that a modifier doesn't trigger the tracker. But finding a way around that would impact performance. Besides you usually already have the modifier key down when pressing the 'real' key. I might change this later though if I come up with an efficient algorithm.
IxWolfie

Roan wrote:

Implemented :D, I haven't tested it very thoroughly though so there might still be some bugs.
P.S. One minor detail is that pressing the key and after that a modifier doesn't trigger the tracker. But finding a way around that would impact performance. Besides you usually already have the modifier key down when pressing the 'real' key. I might change this later though if I come up with an efficient algorithm.

Alright! I'll test it in a little bit and tell you if I find anything. Big shoutout! <3 Also, these new forums are a little weird.. I'm not used to it yet. :p
Topic Starter
Roan

IxWolfie wrote:

Roan wrote:

Alright! I'll test it in a little bit and tell you if I find anything. Big shoutout! <3 Also, these new forums are a little weird.. I'm not used to it yet. :p

^^ Yeah I'm not completely used to the new forums either, but since I don't get to update this program that often anymore. I thought I'd change the link before the old one goes down :3
RockRoller
(I didnt read all 5 pages, hoping nobody allready made these suggestions)

I really like your program. The functionality is perfect, but it doesnt look god for me. I would be happy if we could have a little bit more freedom with the design.
I would replace the default keycounter with yours, but yours is horizontal.
What I would wish is that we cann re-arange the positionating of the keys, so we could for example form it like the inputoverlay. Then we could do for example K1,K2,Avg and Max instead of K1,k2,M1,M2 from osus keycounter.

I hope you can understand my bad english, if u have any questions about my suggestions please answer to this reply or write me ingame.
Topic Starter
Roan

RockRoller wrote:

(I didnt read all 5 pages, hoping nobody allready made these suggestions)

I really like your program. The functionality is perfect, but it doesnt look god for me. I would be happy if we could have a little bit more freedom with the design.
I would replace the default keycounter with yours, but yours is horizontal.
What I would wish is that we cann re-arange the positionating of the keys, so we could for example form it like the inputoverlay. Then we could do for example K1,K2,Avg and Max instead of K1,k2,M1,M2 from osus keycounter.

I hope you can understand my bad english, if u have any questions about my suggestions please answer to this reply or write me ingame.
I think I get the general idea (being able to arrange the keys in any layout horizontal & vertical). It'll probably take a while to implement though ;) .

Edit:
Finally done implementing this :)
There might be some new bugs aswell though :D so if you find any, please report them ^^
Topic Starter
Roan

New updates

Version 6.3

Add a lot of layout related options:
- All text can now be rendered either horizontal or vertical (default)
- Panels can now be organized in a grid instead of just a single row. The number of rows and columns is custom.
- Positions can now also be assigned to the max, avg, cur & tot panels. Meaning they can now also be placed at a custom place instead of at the end of the row.
- 4 new modes of the graph are implemented. Under the other components (default), on top of them, on the right of them, on the left of them and detached. When the graph is detached it gets it's own window that can be given a custom size.
- The graph dimensions are no longer fixed and can be changed (as long as the side isn't shared).
- Support to save & load all of the above to a configuration file.

Version 6.4
Fix the position/index feature not working. (version 6.4)

Version 6.5
- Added warning dialog to prevent more keys being added then there are rows & columns.
- Added an extra render mode for rendering horizontal keys in the value-text format.
- Add specific reset commands to the reset menu.
gaming epic
I was searching for this aswell. Luckily you made one. Thanks! ;)
Topic Starter
Roan

Nxshio wrote:

I was searching for this aswell. Luckily you made one. Thanks! ;)
I'm glad you like it :)

Update

Version 6.6
- Added warning dialog to prevent more keys being added then there are rows & columns.
- Added an extra render mode for rendering horizontal keys in the value-text format.
- Add specific reset commands to the reset menu.
Applome
can i see it while playing osu ???
Topic Starter
Roan

Applome wrote:

can i see it while playing osu ???
You can, but only if you don't run osu! with the fullscreen option checked (fullscreen resolution is fine).

Roan wrote:

osu! can be in fullscreen resolution, but it can't actually have the fullscreen property set. Otherwise both programs will fight for the top window property (fullscreen implies topmost window) and that causes neither of them to work correctly :/

I've experimented with a lot of things, but currently I haven't found an alternative or fix for this issue yet :o .
Topic Starter
Roan

Update

- Implement a feature where you can save the statistics to a file
- Fix key capacity checks being incorrect
- Implement 6 additional rendering modes

- Improve overall performance
- Fix changing the update rate messing up the average
- Fix a multithreading issues (as kindly pointed out by freakode)
- Lots of internal refactoring & optimizations
- Improve startup times
- Fix a bug with the rendering mode loading
Vahr
THanks for making this, appreciate the help!
Topic Starter
Roan

Vahr wrote:

THanks for making this, appreciate the help!
You're welcome :) Glad you like it ^^
dressurf
Hi, Firstly , thank you for making this program,
but i'm afraid that it (or maybe only me) have the problem of using commands,
it seems like Ctrl + P (and other commands) is not working.
Do you have any recommandations that i have to do?
Topic Starter
Roan

anti- wrote:

Hi, Firstly , thank you for making this program,
but i'm afraid that it (or maybe only me) have the problem of using commands,
it seems like Ctrl + P (and other commands) is not working.
Do you have any recommandations that i have to do?
Hi, thank you for reporting this. I just tested it and it seems that I broke it somehow.
I'll try to find the bug and fix this a.s.a.p. meanwhile I discovered that if you change the command keys to something without a modifer (e.g. just P) then it will still work.
It'll hopefully be fixed soon and thank you for using KeysPerSecond :)

Edit: I found the bug, it should be fixed within about an hour from now.

Edit 2: All fixed :)

Update v7.1

-Fix command keys with modifiers not working
-Repaint the frame when resetting statistics or totals for an immediate display update
nobully
Hi, could you make an auto-load feature for config files? Thanks!
Topic Starter
Roan

nobully wrote:

Hi, could you make an auto-load feature for config files? Thanks!
It's already there you can pass a config file to the program either via the command line or if you associate the .kpsconf2 file format with the executable.

So you could either make a small .bat file containing: "path/to/KeysPerSecond.exe path/to/config.kpsconf2".
Or click the config file -> open with -> and then select the KeysPerSecond executable (works as long as you don't move the executable afterwards).

If this wasn't what you meant feel free to correct me :)
nobully
Oh okay, I totally didn't think of a bat file, thanks! Though what I had in mind was the program does this for you, you just tell it which config to load automatically if you choose to. Just something I thought of :)

EDIT: I made a shortcut with the target being "path\keyspersecond.exe" "path\kpsconfig.kpsconf2" and that worked great 👌
Topic Starter
Roan

nobully wrote:

Oh okay, I totally didn't think of a bat file, thanks! Though what I had in mind was the program does this for you, you just tell it which config to load automatically if you choose to. Just something I thought of :)

EDIT: I made a shortcut with the target being "path\keyspersecond.exe" "path\kpsconfig.kpsconf2" and that worked great 👌
Yeah I've had that idea for a while as well. The problem being where do I store the data? Since I export as a single executable which causes there to be no installation process, the program does not really have a folder of it's own to store anything in. The program runs on Windows, Linux and OSX. So I'd need something for all of them. I actually might have found a method that works for this. I'll see if I can get it to work.

For now the bat file seems like the way to go though :)
Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Edit
There actually seems to be a JDK bug that has to be solved before I can implement this... I'll keep a look at the bug status but for the time being passing the config to the executable is the way to go. Unless I come up with some other idea :|

Edit 2

Version 7.2

This release mainly focusses on fixing small bugs, most of which were in the key-modifier tracking.

- Fix modifier keys not being highlighted when key-modifier tracking is on.
- Fix modifier keys releasing every other key when key-modifier tracking is on.
- Fix the key-modifier check box not being toggled when loading a config.
- Fix all known cases of key-modifier tracking weirdness.
- Rework key-modifier tracking internally to be more efficient.
- Lots of internal optimizations.
- Better color support for unfilled grids (empty tiles are now either the background color or transparent depending on whether transparency is enabled).
- Fix several minor bugs in the right click menu.
thx for great tool :D
Topic Starter
Roan

breazingstar wrote:

thx for great tool :D
You're welcome :)
ReTLoM
ok i try to use this for Mania 7k
here my concern:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
but i want it more like
is there a way to accomplish this ?
Topic Starter
Roan

ReTLoM wrote:

ok i try to use this for Mania 7k
here my concern:
but i want it more like
is there a way to accomplish this ?
I'm sorry there is currently no way to do this :( . The closest you can get right now would be to run two instances of the program, one for the graph+stats and one for the keys. I may look into making the layout options even more flexible though, but I currently don't have the time available to me that would be required to do so. I'll put it on my todo list though so there's a good chance that layout options will expand in future releases ;) .
Sonzai no muda
i will take note
Topic Starter
Roan

Sonzai no muda wrote:

i will take
ob7
I know this is an old thread, but really nice program, looks nice on stream too, good job!
Topic Starter
Roan

ob7 wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but really nice program, looks nice on stream too, good job!
_ToorU
When I open osu! in fullscreen mode, OBS stops updating KPS counter so I have to tab out of the game in order to make OBS show updated KPS values. How to fix that? I don't play in window mode so don't suggest that.
Topic Starter
Roan

_ToorU wrote:

When I open osu! in fullscreen mode, OBS stops updating KPS counter so I have to tab out of the game in order to make OBS show updated KPS values. How to fix that? I don't play in window mode so don't suggest that.
That's weird, the only explanation I can come up with for that is that the display manger doesn't think it's required to update the window since it's not directly visible. Personally I also have it setup with osu! running in fullscreen mode though and I don't have any issues with it. However that's probably because I run OBS and KeysPerSecond on a different monitor so the window is always visible. Since I'm currently not at home I do not have the means to do any extensive testing, but I'll try to run some tests near the end of this week or the start of the next week. I strongly suspect it to be an operating system optimization though that prevents rendering updates on windows that are not directly visible. If you are running KeysPerSecond on a second monitor though I would start by trying all the different window capture options in OBS.

tl;dr I'll edit this once I've had the chance to do some proper testing/debugging.

Edit: Turns out that it is indeed probably some operating system optimalisation. I could reproduce this if I disabled all but 1 monitor and had osu! running in full screen mode. Funnily enough having an extra monitor connected makes it so that it always works even if KeysPerSecond is on the monitor with osu! running on it. Unfortunately this also means that there is nothing I can do to fix this. Though it's possible that there is some setting somewhere in Windows that would (but I couldn't find any information about that). Thus the only fix I could find was to connect some extra monitor (using a mobile phone/tablet as an extra monitor should work too). I'm sorry, I'm afraid that this is beyond my control.

tl;dr Windows made it so that if a program is in full screen other programs do not get updated.
CrescendoFuri
I don't know if it's just me, but I wanna use this for other things, not just osu, it's really really good. However...if I have it set to arrow keys, it umm, doesn't display them right, fully.

The left arrow key is rather...broken, plus the sizes between the left and right, and up and down, keys kind of bother me? I know there's probably not many symbols for that kind of thing but I certainly think it is worth telling you. Let me know if there's a way to improve that and if there is a plan to. Everything else though is perfect, but this is on the off chance I use a game that's arrow keys mainly, but normal wasd games are fine.
Topic Starter
Roan

SuiGeneris wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, but I wanna use this for other things, not just osu, it's really really good. However...if I have it set to arrow keys, it umm, doesn't display them right, fully.

The left arrow key is rather...broken, plus the sizes between the left and right, and up and down, keys kind of bother me? I know there's probably not many symbols for that kind of thing but I certainly think it is worth telling you. Let me know if there's a way to improve that and if there is a plan to. Everything else though is perfect, but this is on the off chance I use a game that's arrow keys mainly, but normal wasd games are fine.
You're right that doesn't really look quite right xD. That being said I don't know what would cause this issue. I'll look into it though. Thank you for reporting this ^^

My time is really limited lately though so that's why updates are slow right now :( I have some time right now though so if it's an easy fix you can expect a fix later tonight ;) .
CrescendoFuri
Sounds good! Not gonna lie, didn't think you'd get back to me so fast! But if you do get a fix out then you've made this a really good stream element for me to have in practically all streams :D

UNRELATED EDIT:
So, I do have this up in OBS, as its own window capture, works great, now the only issue is if I close the window while OBS is up, it for some reason opens the key input screen? I don't really know why or how, or if that's even fixable, just thought I would let you know, because it's a bit annoying to have to sometimes readjust it on my layout.

can't spell tonight it seems lol
Topic Starter
Roan

SuiGeneris wrote:

Sounds good! Not gonna lie, didn't think you'd get back to me so fast! But if you do get a fix out then you've made this a really good stream element for me to have in practically all streams :D
So I fixed this one by using a different set of arrow symbols :) ⯅⯆⯇⯈
Also thank you for using KeysPerSecond :)

SuiGeneris wrote:

UNRELATED EDIT:
So, I do have this up in OBS, as its own window capture, works great, now the only issue is if I close the window while OBS is up, it for some reason opens the key input screen? I don't really know why or how, or if that's even fixable, just thought I would let you know, because it's a bit annoying to have to sometimes readjust it on my layout.

can't spell tonight it seems lol
That sounds interesting xD I have no idea why this would happen though and I can't seem to reproduce it either :( closing KeysPerSecond while OBS is window capturing it doesn't have any side effects for me :/

Version 7.3

- Arrow keys now look more consistent.
CrescendoFuri
Looks much better, also I think it was just OBS doing...OBS things, seems to sometimes happen sometimes not, but it seems certainly lessened with the window title must match option, because I have another java running program up so I think it confused the poor counter.
Topic Starter
Roan

SuiGeneris wrote:

Looks much better, also I think it was just OBS doing...OBS things, seems to sometimes happen sometimes not, but it seems certainly lessened with the window title must match option, because I have another java running program up so I think it confused the poor counter.
Nonetheless a very weird issue xD
I did manage to get OBS to display an other Java program. But even with 10 KeysPerSecond instances open I couldn't get it to do any weird things. But I guess you're right and it's just OBS doing OBS things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CrescendoFuri
Huh..weird, I went into it and remade my arrow key bindings...and well, here's the thing.

For some reason they're boxes now :( I think arrow keys just aren't friendly to this program. Unless anyone else wants to say they're fine and mine is just dumb. I downloaded from the standard window exe not java's download if that helps. I really like this program so that's why I wanna let you know the issues about it.
Topic Starter
Roan

SuiGeneris wrote:

Huh..weird, I went into it and remade my arrow key bindings...and well, here's the thing.

For some reason they're boxes now :( I think arrow keys just aren't friendly to this program. Unless anyone else wants to say they're fine and mine is just dumb. I downloaded from the standard window exe not java's download if that helps. I really like this program so that's why I wanna let you know the issues about it.
Hmm, that's really weird, as far as I know the symbols I used (⯅⯆⯇⯈) are part of the UTF standard and should therefore also be available preatty much anywhere. I'll see if I can find computer/laptop that doesn't like them either. I did verify the executable and it works fine for me. Actually, if I save the configuration and load it again the symbols are gone .-.

In any case, until I find a more permanent solution for this you can simply edit your configuration file with notepad, go to the #Keys section and change the name="key name here" part to something that works for you.
CrescendoFuri
Alright! Thanks though.
show more