forum

Poll 32: Do you map? Do you plan to map?

posted
Total Posts

Do you map? Do you plan to map?

I do not plan on mapping.
16.00%
I plan on mapping sometime in the future.
43.82%
I currently map actively.
35.12%
I no longer map.
5.05%
Total votes: 931
Polling ended
show more
Weber
mapping standard is so fucking time consuming and the ranking process amplifies this struggle so hard

i'll start for real when this shit gets easier

#implementautomaticblanketing2016
-Tochi
I currently map actively :)
I still have goals to obtain, and i will keep making more maps until i don't have more time to play osu.
If i always have time for osu, then i will still try to improve and make maps!

It's fun to share my maps with people, and see them play them and hear their thoughts on them.
My friends are the reason to why i still want to map :)
ColdTooth
I wish I can pick the last two options, it's on and off for me
Rizen
No longer
Surono
Mapping for fun! or interesting on song...
Mao
I map \o/
Andrea
I no longer map, but I surely plan on getting active again.
Shiirn
wahahahahaha yep
Halogen-
This poll could have been expanded a bit more to accommodate for those who primarily map in one mode, but have intent on mapping in another. For example, I primarily map for mania, but I'm slowly tinkering around with mapping standard/Taiko as well, haha.
Kibbleru
another year goes by.

still placing circles on the monitor..

life still hasnt gotten anywhere...

orz....
Endaris
Can't call the shit I'm producing maps so I chose that I plan to map in the future.
Mismagius

Kibbleru wrote:

another year goes by.

orz....

my life atm
Bonsai

Kibbleru wrote:

another year goes by.

orz....
first year over for me \o/..
Makeli

Bonsai wrote:

Kibbleru wrote:

another year goes by.

orz....
first year over for me \o/..
few months and it'll be first year for me too weeeeee

EDIT: Actually just one month away from a full year
DarthBrainus
I'm trying to map, but i don't submit my beatmaps. I'm just sure they are total crap and noone will even mod them. Especially easy and normal diffs.
sakebi
Mapping is really fun, I just need to learn how to make my maps not bad.
Halliday

deetz wrote:

mapping is fun (sometimes)
Deetz nuts
DestinySonata
Mapping is really fun.

Ranking however... is a different story.
DeletedUser_4329079
I try to map as much as I can but I always end up getting stuck so I can never finish anything.
Grim Rapper
The only thing that prevent me for mapping (because I'm no professional)is mainly:
1. Manual BPM setting (so tedious, is there any alternative I wonder...)
2. Abbreviation and other things that I didn't understand(SV, 1/2, 1/3 I don't understand)
3. There's so many things to do, but can't really tell the actual phase of it (like step-by-step or something)
4. Unwritten rule about certain things (maintaining the flow, set a fitting AR, CS, and OD for each difficulty [FAQ is not related], and other)

Is there anything that can help me solve this problem, then I'll map right away
Rhonin
do you even map bruh?
Come[Back]Home
Well atfer school mapping is my 2nd life. I map whenever i have i some freetime and feel like it. Why do i map?
Because there are so so so many good songs out there which deserve a Map, and since there are so many japanese songs already im mainly focusing on House, DnB, Hardstyle etc.
Mapping can be really fulfilling as well, whenever you start a new map youre like "How the hell am i supposed to map that" then you map it like 2 times and just now how to map it. Its an awesome feeling. And the feeling to contribute something to the game itself is really amazing, and thats where all the fun comes from, as a mapper youre actually keeping the game alive. Mapping is love, mapping is life.
Yuudachi-kun
I never plan to map or interact with that terrible community.
[Paradoxum]
Tried to map back then. But because of the difficulty in fixing things, timing, etc, I gave up mapping. If i had the talent in mapping and if I'm just persevere I would have made lots of beatmaps. Edited:[Didn't even published my beatmaps cuz the community may pass by and give out critics, which I'm not good to handle.]
P.S. I think you need kudosu to advertise your maps or something like that and many in the beatmap threads don't accept newbie modders so you can't earn much. ? >.< I think[?]
[Paradoxum]

Grim Rapper wrote:

The only thing that prevent me for mapping (because I'm no professional)is mainly:
2. Abbreviation and other things that I didn't understand(SV, 1/2, 1/3 I don't understand)
3. There's so many things to do, but can't really tell the actual phase of it (like step-by-step or something)
4. Unwritten rule about certain things (maintaining the flow, set a fitting AR, CS, and OD for each difficulty [FAQ is not related], and other)

Gotta agree with this :D
Grim Rapper

Khelly wrote:

What happen? o.O
Anxient

Grim Rapper wrote:

Khelly wrote:

What happen? o.O
look for mods/suggestions probably

or maybe coz memes
Shiirn
The mapping community is an ever-evolving mixture of people who know what they're talking about, don't know what they're talking about, who know the mathematical basis of all modern music, those who don't know what a stanza is, people who map for attention, people who map for creative expression, people who map because they crave accomplishment.

Music, and thus to a necessary lesser extent, mapping, has been since its conception a race between creativity and formulation: A never-ending, self-fulfilling ouroboros of interactivity and mutual competition more relevant to the human psyche than any sort of spiritual or material experience.

And we're all just along for the ride.

Oh, and there are people who make penis sliders. They're the real heroes.
N0thingSpecial

Khelly wrote:

It's hardly a community, when basicly if you're new you're alone, since little people will be willing to spend their time to teach you, if you have experience you don't really need the community to rank your maps
-Gutah-
I tried many times to map but I can't create any maps which can follow the rythm of the song. Sooo, it's really annoying for me to map, it needs too many practice and time.
Garygoh884
I was constantly thinking of mapping but it got me back. By the way, which songs are good to map in nature?
J1NX1337

Garygoh884 wrote:

I was constantly thinking of mapping but it got me back. By the way, which songs are good to map in nature?
Anything with clear, consistent beats so that you can time them without too many problems and that you actually have something to place notes on. Also songs with variety so that it won't get too repetitive and boring, which is one of the reasons why DnB songs are often cut in osu unless it's a marathon.
Yuudachi-kun

Anxient wrote:

or maybe coz memes
Is everything a meme to you now or can you not understand I hate the community
Elira
still mapping actively tbh =w=
Anxient

Khelly wrote:

Anxient wrote:

or maybe coz memes
Is everything a meme to you now or can you not understand I hate the community
i understand why you hate it and i added memes to one of the reasons why. is something wrong
zenithlight

Grim Rapper wrote:

The first one is something you can solve, by using a bpm analyzer. It's sometimes not accurate, but gets a good bpm pretty often, from what I hear.

The second one I think can't be solved. For any task, words people will use a lot will become abbreviated, it's just life. But normally you can ask the person about it and they'll tell you. (Oh, and just for completeness: SV = slider velocity, how fast the slider goes. 1/2 and 1/3 refer to a number of beats, e.g. half a beat, one-third of a beat, etc.)

For the most part I agree with the rest of your post. Mapping if you're new is like swimming for the first time and being pushed off a 12-foot diving board. I know of a couple people who are putting in effort to make the mapping community a better place for new mappers, and others who have expressed interest in creating tutorial series to help people learn technique. I'm far from experienced, but if I had any advice to give, it would be focusing on creating something that's fun for you, instead of basing your opinion on your work on what other people think about it.
Monstrata
If you're planning on mapping, I wonder what's been stopping you from pursuing it so far ;o.

Timing can be quite a hurdle for new mappers, but I recently discovered statementreply's timing analyzer: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/126198. It's surprisingly accurate when the song is a single bpm but won't work as well on variable bpm songs. (Generally speaking though, mapping variable-bpm songs as your first map isn't the best idea)

I'm hoping to see more new faces in the qualified section xD. I can't really name any "2016 mappers" that weren't also 2015/2014 mappers aswell.
[Paradoxum]

Monstrata wrote:

If you're planning on mapping, I wonder what's been stopping you from pursuing it so far ;o.

Timing can be quite a hurdle for new mappers, but I recently discovered statementreply's timing analyzer: https://osu.ppy.sh/u/126198. It's surprisingly accurate when the song is a single bpm but won't work as well on variable bpm songs. (Generally speaking though, mapping variable-bpm songs as your first map isn't the best idea)

I'm hoping to see more new faces in the qualified section xD. I can't really name any "2016 mappers" that weren't also 2015/2014 mappers aswell.

Mapping is good, and fun. But maybe, people often aim making it rank or qualify. While some just want to map for the justice in not finding a good mapset, some focus on getting "fruits on their labor" or something like that XD
LastExceed
I map alot, but I find it very hard to find modders (or even playtesters o.O) for hard mania 4k maps .-.
Ayesha Altugle

Monstrata wrote:

I happen to use that program since the past 1 or 2 years.
show more