forum

How to make a nice recording for Youtube

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jeffro
You can also do the same recording with xfire and still use my virtualdub tutorial. :) (or just get the full version of fraps, it isn't hard to get.)
Jinxy
So what exactly is a good filesize for youtube, or what are the sizes of your videos after you guys are done with everything?
Topic Starter
Remco32
IIRC, I mostly ended up w/ mpegs less than 400MB or so.
I'm pretty sure you can get that filesize lower with a different container, but I have a hi-speed internet connection, so I don't bother.
Jeffro

Remco32 wrote:

IIRC, I mostly ended up w/ mpegs less than 400MB or so.
I'm pretty sure you can get that filesize lower with a different container, but I have a hi-speed internet connection, so I don't bother.
What he said, I get about the same size :) sometimes around 100mb if I'm lucky, it depends on the beat map and stuff.
Rokodo
Meh, I use x264 encoding to get the filesize down to around 20mb, since I don't have a high speed connection.
rad140
Very nice tutorial. I was wondering how to do this, and then stumbled upon this, so thanks!

Quick question: Let's say your computer can't handle both a full-size recording and 60 fps through FRAPS without stuttering and lag in the video.
Which option would sacrifice less quality: half-size with 60 fps or full-size w/ 30 fps?

Thanks.
Jeffro

rad140 wrote:

Very nice tutorial. I was wondering how to do this, and then stumbled upon this, so thanks!

Quick question: Let's say your computer can't handle both a full-size recording and 60 fps through FRAPS without stuttering and lag in the video.
Which option would sacrifice less quality: half-size with 60 fps or full-size w/ 30 fps?

Thanks.
Fullsize 30 fps.
Niva
Very useful, but the sound won't show up >:(
Any hints? My sound manager is Realtek HD Audio Manager.

EDIT: After months I finally know how to do it, unmute the audio recording.
Jinxy
Because I don't have Fraps nor Sony Vegas, I made a video in Xfire. However, the music desyncs after a minute of recording. Why? Are my settings wrong somewhere?

I'm recording with 30fps, Half Size of 1280x960 = 640x480.

Audio: Vista Audio, Vista Audio Mixer.
Jeffro

JInxyjem wrote:

Because I don't have Fraps nor Sony Vegas, I made a video in Xfire. However, the music desyncs after a minute of recording. Why? Are my settings wrong somewhere?

I'm recording with 30fps, Half Size of 1280x960 = 640x480.

Audio: Vista Audio, Vista Audio Mixer.
Sorry, but its because xfire always desyncs, or most of the time anyway.
Natteke
Easier way:

Run fraps, record the video.

Download VirtualDubMod
Open it, drag the video into the VirtualDubMod window.
Go to Video -> Compression -> Choose "XVid MPEG4 Codec", then press 'Configure', set Target Quantizer to about '6.81', press OK.

Go to File -> Save As..., name your video yourvideoname.avi and save it.

Also Codecs

why did I write this, it was already in a thread. I need to use search = =
Jeffro

Natteke desu wrote:

Easier way:

Run fraps, record the video.

Download VirtualDubMod
Open it, drag the video into the VirtualDubMod window.
Go to Video -> Compression -> Choose "XVid MPEG4 Codec", then press 'Configure', set Target Quantizer to about '6.81', press OK.

Go to File -> Save As..., name your video yourvideoname.avi and save it.

Also Codecs

why did I write this, it was already in a thread. I need to use search = =
hehehehe :P
IppE
x264 with crf around 20, 1280x720, 30fps. Rather good quality/size ratio imo.
XviD lacks some of the more advanced macroblocking features that really help with compressing stuff like osu videos.

Also protip if you want to cheat youtube with 1080p videos:
Record it at 1600x900, resize to 1920x1080, nobody will see the difference when its uploaded.

Then again the quality difference between 720p and 1080p is pretty minimal on youtube so why bother.
Powerdrone
I dl Fraps, but it only makes 30 second videos... I'm assuming it's because it's a trial version. -_-

Any free screen capture programs?
Glass
Thanks for this guide

and yeah this should be pinned :?
Gens
Oh yeah I'll do it now that I can
Topic Starter
Remco32

Gens wrote:

Thanks for the sticky :D
Jeffro

Remco32 wrote:

Gens wrote:

Thanks for the sticky :D
Thank you as well :D
Querencia
umm . im stuck at the part where you open osu! with fraps running . you said there should be a yellow number at the top right corner of osu! which you had already provided a screenshot . but for some reason my osu doesnt have a yellow or red number at the top right corner . and im using the free version which doesnt require money . i basically downloaded it . can anyone fix my problem for me pls ._.
Querencia
and i just found out that my fraps can only record for 30 seconds .
Zeugziumy
Fraps is win... :D
Querencia
can anyone help me ? my fraps can show the fps at the top right corner of osu! now . but it can only record 30seconds and lagging when i review the 30second replay .
OzzyOzrock

NeetOtakuHikikomori wrote:

can anyone help me ? my fraps can show the fps at the top right corner of osu! now . but it can only record 30seconds and lagging when i review the 30second replay .
You can choose whether or not the numbers appear on the corner in FRAPS. Go to FPS, and in the box that says 'Overlay Corner' you can choose which corner to have it in, or turn it off. That could be off. The thirty seconds thing is because you have the trial version. Either find/steal a registration key, or pirate it, hah.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but Sony Vegas can NOT read audio from .avi files. Or well... at least 8 can't. Not so sure about nine.
Jeffro

OzzyOzrock wrote:

NeetOtakuHikikomori wrote:

You can choose whether or not the numbers appear on the corner in FRAPS. Go to FPS, and in the box that says 'Overlay Corner' you can choose which corner to have it in, or turn it off. That could be off. The thirty seconds thing is because you have the trial version. Either find/steal a registration key, or pirate it, hah.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but Sony Vegas can NOT read audio from .avi files. Or well... at least 8 can't. Not so sure about nine.
It can, it just depends on the audio codec used, Anyway, Virtualdub FTW~ And Sony Vegas for professional editing :)
IppE

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Vegas Pro 9.0c sure can.

At least from the fraps raw videos (where audio is 1536kbps LCPM)

As a more compressed format I either use Vorbis (aoTuV b5d) or MPEG-4 AAC (Nero)
OzzyOzrock
Maybe I'm just stupid and had it really soft...
noneed
same thing here.. only 30 sec vids.. =.=
what version can record more than 30 secs?
Topic Starter
Remco32

noneed wrote:

Buy/pirate the app, ffs.
IppE

Remco32 wrote:

noneed wrote:

Buy/pirate the app, ffs.
Quoted for truth

Also, if someone is feeling randy and willing to explore the exciting world of commandline apps:

x264 now has some built in audio encoding features!

Patched builds by JEEB:
http://x264.fushizen.eu/

Only needs the .exe and Quicktime to be installed (cause aac > others)
Create a .bat file to the directory where the x264.exe is with this line:
x264 --preset veryslow --level 41 --crf 20 --colormatrix bt709 --force-cfr --acodec qtaac --aquality 54 --asamplerate 44100 --acodec-quality 2  --output "PAT TO OUTPUTFILE.mp4" "PATH TO INPUT VIDEO.avi"
The one I used last for example, looks like this:

Now double click the .bat and this window will pop up (first it'll index the input video, though)
After a while (depending on cpu power) you'll have a nice video ready for uploading.

By changing the preset (available ones are ultrafast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow and placebo) you can affect the speed of the encode (slower the preset, smaller the file) and by changing the value of crf you can affect the quality of the video, thus affect filesize (0 being best quality, lossless mode, 51 being worst quality. Sane range is 16-24)

Watch this video and/or PM me if you have questions/issues/difficulties/downs/bad case of loneliness, I'd hate to totally hijack this thread ;)
Jinxy
I used FRAPS and Virtualdub, from viewtopic.php?p=252802#p252802
and got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTaktjvzwI

Its 960x720, instead of 1280x720. Is there any large effect since I don't have a 720p option, or am I missing out something?

Oh never mind, it didn't appear because the video wasn't fully processed yet.
UtsukimiJerry
Here's another quick tip when recording.

Reduce the effects sounds because it will make the sound well...sounds bad. Reduce it to half will do
_lan_

Remco32 wrote:

Want to use Virtualdub instead of Sony Vegas? Click here!

Needed
  1. Fraps
  2. Sony Vegas (Never ever use Windows Moviemaker, it will lower the quality of the video drastically!)

Now, go make videos and spread osu!

I tried using Windows Movie Maker to convert the video but I don't think the quality was that bad.

My Video using Windows Movie Maker:

yhz1346792
wow!thanks very much
Wishy
I got everything fine, except for the fact that when I try to look at the video recorded by Fraps using MPC, the volume is really low and it sounds like trash, I got Realtek drivers.

Well no audio now, Stereo Mix isn't muted, etc.
UtsukimiJerry

Wishy22 wrote:

I got everything fine, except for the fact that when I try to look at the video recorded by Fraps using MPC, the volume is really low and it sounds like trash, I got Realtek drivers.

Well no audio now, Stereo Mix isn't muted, etc.
Make sure your speaker volume isn't low as well. I noticed that if your speaker volume is low, then the volume of the recording will be low as well.
Wishy
Didn't work. :<
pete2528
like this xD

and 3nd view

:D
ychao
Hi a quick question: I've saved a replay in half-time but I want to record and play it in normal speed.

Is there a way to play this replay in normal speed on osu so that I can record it?
Gens
Nope, but you could record the video in half-time and then speed it up! But that's kind of cheating.
ychao
Yeah well, I thought of that but I'd rather speed it up on osu then record it... my vegas tends to give problems when increasing video playback speed :S

Thanks for the reply though - much appreciated!
show more