forum

#lobby functioning as #announce (read for details)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +662
show more
VeilStar
I support this idea very much. - As soon as I click 'multiplayer' the first thing I do is close #lobby because it's such a mess.

----------

Sea_Food wrote:

<snip>
People don't think about stuff like this before-hand, they just do whatever seems convienent.
The 'main' cause of the spam is that #lobby just opens and puts your channel tab to it as soon as you click multiplayer.

If this idea is implemented correctly it could reduce the amount of spam greatly,
and even if it wouldn't, it would be a good system to join a room to your liking.

----------

Either way, I don't see a downside to this, really. It's a good idea and I don't see how it can have a negative impact, only a positive one.
Oinari-sama

[-MrSergio-] wrote:

the auto-advertising will be active only while waiting. But here's another thing I was thinking about: What if I let my room public, but I only invite friends (it could be. Not everyone sets the password and then invites) ? In this case this thing should be turned off in some way imo, since will be useless to have the room advertised when I really don't want it to be.
I didn't think about that many possibilities, was trying to see if the "auto-ads" idea is worth discussing or not. It'll indeed be better if the "auto-ads" are only sent when waiting in the room. It'll also make more senseif private (pass protected) rooms aren't auto-advertised.

btw those 2/5/10min are artibary, I don't have any stats on hand to make feasibility calculations. It did the job to get the discussions going :)
Topic Starter
Seijiro

Oinari-sama wrote:

I didn't think about that many possibilities, was trying to see if the "auto-ads" idea is worth discussing or not. It'll indeed be better if the "auto-ads" are only sent when waiting in the room. It'll also make more senseif private (pass protected) rooms aren't auto-advertised.

btw those 2/5/10min are artibary, I don't have any stats on hand to make feasibility calculations. It did the job to get the discussions going :)
I didn't think at those options too tbh, they just came in mind reading your post xD.

As for the time intervals, as I said, I have no precise idea too and it's what I'm trying to solve these days since I think the auto-ads would be much easier for many players that usually don't even watch what's on the screen (yeah, I've met few of them <.<), but for now the button to advertise their own room (with the cool-down time of, let's say, 5 minutes in any case) seems to be the solution to "I don't want my room to be advertise" and "I don't need advertises while I'm playing", since nobody says you have to press that button no matter what xD

Mean while, I thought about another thing I didn't take in consideration: most players usually enter the multiplayer and create their room with the currently playing song (which sometimes isn't the song they really want to play, and I am one of those players actually), therefore their first advertise (the creation room advertise) will be useless, since they will advertise the wrong song (see the first post for the advertise sample). So, what can we do now to prevent this?

1. Maybe we could make the "creation room advertise" wait till the real song is selected (but this is gonna be messier to code down probably, so it's a bad idea imo)
  2. Maybe we could open the song select before the room is created (kinda complex too. I was thinking to something like the "skip to song..." Button we have in the main menu, but, as I said, it looks kinda complex)
  3. Last option, which seems to be more logic, but still complex too. Basically I'm thinking about asking to choose from "join/create/exit" before entering the actual multiplayer room. If join is pressed, you'll go to see the multiplayer room with all the current lobbies and the channel #lobby will automatically pop up. If Create is pressed, you'll go to the song select screen first, where you'll choose the song you want to play (this way you can advertise the correct song for the "creation room advertise"), and then (after you press enter) you'll have the usual "create multiplayer room" screen, where you choose the name, number of players and password (this option looks a lot better, but I wonder about the code side of this...)
  4. Former option: use the button I mentioned before to advertise your room only when you want to (this one looks a lot easier tbh, always looking to the code implementation)
Alright, let me hear your opinion on this one since, as you seen, there are quite a few options to take in consideration (I'm seriously tempt to make a poll out of this, but let's just discuss it xD)
Oinari-sama
Could consider fetching custom text instead of /np when the room is first made. Was thinking about how this could work with t/165856 & t/146640

EDIT: Throwing these out before I forget:
It'll be nice if the ads text can be colour-coded based on number of people or time created, eg:
  1. New Room ads: Green
  2. 1-2 Players ads: Yellow
  3. 3-5 Players ads: Orange
  4. 6+ Players: Red
  5. Tag, Team VS: some other colour
^Again those numbers/colours are just examples.
Nathanael
This is a good idea imo. I'd also like to add at this request.

1. The command for the room name to be changed is !rename <entry> (of course this command should be hidden in case moderators are inside the room).
    If there is no entry, the default room name will be used (<Player>'s room).
  2. Add a channel (e.g. #renamelog) ingame which is only visible to staff for logging all renamed rooms with a code to automatically reset the room name.

• NathBot: [Code: 512] BanchoBot has changed the room name of #multiplayer to "<insert inappropriate content>"
      Nathanael: !reset 512
      NathBot: Room name of #multiplayer has been reset to "BanchoBot's room".
  3. Disallow silenced users from changing the room name (if they are the host).
    I am sure some people are using this method to talk in the room.
  4. Allow automated multiplayer advertisements using the same options used to filter muliplayer rooms to avoid ads you don't want (client-side).
    Everything will still be sent out at the channel but the game client will remove the ones (before it gets displayed) doesn't match the filter condition.
Any comments about my idea?
Topic Starter
Seijiro

Oinari-sama wrote:

Could consider fetching custom text instead of /np when the room is first made. Was thinking about how this could work with t/165856 & t/146640

It'll be nice if the ads text can be colour-coded based on number of people or time created, eg:
Now I love this idea. Really nice the idea of different colors if we could have them and it will avoid adding "(3/8 players)" after the room's name as I thought from the beginning, so I'll stick this for sure.

Also, I agree with the other 2 features, this way we can merge with them :)

Nathanael wrote:

This is a good idea imo. I'd also like to add at this request.

1. The command for the room name to be changed is !rename <entry> (of course this command should be hidden in case moderators are inside the room).
    If there is no entry, the default room name will be used (<Player>'s room).
  2. Add a channel (e.g. #renamelog) ingame which is only visible to staff for logging all renamed rooms with a code to automatically reset the room name.

• NathBot: [Code: 512] BanchoBot has changed the room name of #multiplayer to "<insert inappropriate content>"
      Nathanael: !reset 512
      NathBot: Room name of #multiplayer has been reset to "BanchoBot's room".
  3. Disallow silenced users from changing the room name (if they are the host).
    I am sure some people are using this method to talk in the room.
  4. Allow automated multiplayer advertisements using the same options used to filter muliplayer rooms to avoid ads you don't want (client-side).
    Everything will still be sent out at the channel but the game client will remove the ones (before it gets displayed) doesn't match the filter condition.
Any comments about my idea?
I didn't thought about the moderating side because I didn't know how things really goes for you guys so I decided to leave it to you.

This idea is great, since my !rr command was kinda silly now that I think about it xD

Obviously this goes in the first post too for reference :3
Ameth Rianno
I really love this idea, though.

Take my star!
Pawsu

Oinari-sama wrote:

Wouldn't this be more unneeded work? :o
You could always just add the number of players in the advertisement
And it would be a pain to remember the colours :o
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Well, yes. Actually it could be more work for few gain when we could already read the number of players beside the room's name, but adding colors to the chat is something I really like xD

Anyway, I added those features to the additional section in the first post, because it's easier to have all together to discuss them later (I also add links to the post when I can't sum up the entire feature like I did with Nathanael's suggestion :3). Basically I want to see what people like the most in order to make a more detailed list of feature from the start instead of making other feature requests later just to add something we could add from the beginning :3
Pawsu
Oh, I see ^^ your formating is great :D
ProgrammerSocks
Automatic advertising is a horrible idea, IMO. Everyone would use it, because "there's no reason not to", even though that greatly increases the clutter. Also, if the number of users mattered, people would be doing dumb stuff like mostly leaving a room so that it's advertised more. The only way to make it somewhat work is to have it as an option, and give it an harsh decay rate (resetting every time a song is played) which is overridden by the advertising button. But with all those restrictions, I feel like there isn't much of a point.

Otherwise this sounds like a great idea for people who actually want to find a room to play in. It's obvious some people use #lobby as a sort of #AllLanguages channel, and those people will probably be upset, but I don't know if an #AllLanguages channel is something anyone would want to moderate. Maybe when Clans/Teams/Whatevers are finally added to the game, and they have their own chatrooms, that'll help some? Probably not, but I guess we can still hope.
PatZar

marcostudios wrote:

maybe have a kudosu sistem to advertise in #lobby so it's not spammy :P not approved by Ludo <3
+1 pls
Cerulean Veyron
Great idea, this might avoid players from spamming and capping.
teasp00n
I want this! Take my stars! :D

(I dont like the idea of an automated system that someone mentioned tho, a button would be nice.)
- Marco -
So many stars we could reach the moon \:D/
VINXIS

teasp00n wrote:

I want this! Take my stars! :D

(I dont like the idea of an automated system that someone mentioned tho, a button would be nice.)
yee

since 99% of all my multiplayer games are in private rooms anyway. Having an automatic ad for the room wouldnt be nice tbh hhh
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Since there are more people not supporting the auto-advertisement system, I removed it for now from the first post. Once I see more people supporting it I'll remove the stroke on it :3
WriggleNightbug
I WOULD vote this up, but i don't mod, so i have no stars to give this T_T. Cause like everyone here would agree, this is a great idea, and should be implemented ASAP.
- Marco -

TheBronyGames wrote:

I WOULD vote this up, but i don't mod
these are not kudosu :)

you can have two stars for each month of supporter you buy
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Bump.
-Maus-
Ayy support lmao, #lobby is a trainwreck, so are people who take it as #multiplayer

/me gets hated
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Another bump...
IxWolfie
I like this idea, but then we need an area for the old "#lobby" so people can just talk. Maybe #General if that exists? (Kind of like #VideoGames but for just general chatting with players?)

I agree, #lobby is full of spam; and it's sad.

I fully support this, however, I don't have any votes; so I guess my agreement doesn't mean anything does it.
You can take all my votes > has none.

Anyways XD
drum drum

IxWolfie wrote:

I like this idea, but then we need an area for the old "#lobby" so people can just talk. Maybe #General if that exists? (Kind of like #VideoGames but for just general chatting with players?)

I agree, #lobby is full of spam; and it's sad.

I fully support this, however, I don't have any votes; so I guess my agreement doesn't mean anything does it.
You can take all my votes > has none.

Anyways XD
they can talk in #osu or #english or w/e channel their language belongs in, we don't need a channel for smalltalk
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Title updated, since it was just too generic
Nekonyan
totally agree with this feature :D
I would like to shoot my star here but I have no stars left :c
anyway, I hope ppy will implement this feature asap XD
Bara-
Nice bump
This is actually a great Idea
I ersonally hate #lobby for all of it's trashtalk and such
This'll make it much nicer (and user-friendly)
D e s
This make life easier.

current #lobby is Ultimately frickin annoying
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Oh... I didn't expect such a bump since I almost forgot about it lol
Topic Starter
Seijiro
It has been a while, so let's bump
Roxy Lalonde
I totally want this. Take all my 20 votes.
Topic Starter
Seijiro
I haven't received an answer yet, so I'll keep bumping this, since I think it is really needed
Pawsu
Bump.
Topic Starter
Seijiro
lol, I was searching for this among the 2 months old posts while it was already bumped ahahahah

Anyway, I still think this feature is needed and no one has brought up anything valid against it so...
Inb4 peppy himself shuts this down
Topic Starter
Seijiro
Bump
Flanster
Threw some more stars in there.
softhusky
Bump ^_^
Topic Starter
Seijiro
I still think it's needed, so let's bump once more.
riffy
Totally support as long as the thing is understandable for beginners. as the channel is mainly used by them.
AncuL
hello where are you dev team
show more