forum

osu! World Cup 2013 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Salvage
Reunion is just not a good pick for finals, period .. you didn't apply the Accuracy thing in the ENTIRE owc, why apply it on finals? Hell, past owc had accuracy maps (which i liked btw) on groups/ round of 16, and the finals had harder maps than reunion, it's just too easy, i would've expected maps as hard as Ha Tenya and Magic Girl in finals, and regarding on the DT bracket and something similar in HR, same thing happened last round with Cendrillon, insanely easy maps.

Accuracy should be something applicable on groupstage and maybe round of 16 with maps like owc2, but after that you need to step it up with difficulty, every map is easier than it should've been for FINALS, you have to realize that the tournament started with the idea of having maps harder than the last owc, it doesn't matter that the original people that chose maps were unable to keep doing it, you guys had to stick to the difficulty going up, having really challenging maps on final is what people like to see and what players have to go thorugh to be legit champions, it's just like that, final has to be a big deal.
AmaiHachimitsu
You think that Magic Girl and Ha-tenya would be more than appropriate for a finals map pool, then in the next paragraph say you wouldn't even be able to FC a map which has quite trivial aim requirements at a BPM<200. What do you find so appealing about a results screen which in all likelihood will end up having 8 As with less than half of an FC?
There is a difference when inside your head you think "I must do the best combo possible" and "If I miss once, we'll probably lose".

Also both Magic Girl and Ha-Tenya have consistent difficulty and allow achieving quite good combos even under pressure. Only those who actually can play the difficulty like that well can FC half of the map. And those people are just "better" in maps like that. If, for example, there happens a player who does 1x break on the Reunion, he is responsible for the whole team's loss despite not being bad at this map. How can this determine who is better at this game?

I'd rather reward the team in which one or two people did extremely well FCing a map and carrying the rest than the team which somehow managed not to miss on an easier map.

Even if we played this tournament with only [Easy] maps, there will be a case when someone breaks, screws the accuracy up. And the team is then deemed as "weaker".

I don't get what's wrong with only As in the result screen. It only shows how high the level of competition is. And those who manage to FC a map are really, really good.

One with numbers on the notes, like 95% of players?
Sorry but I can assume you've never played a map with more complex rhythm patterns which are hidden totally while HD is put on. Play this Tsukasa map and send me your FC screen.
Rori Vidi Veni

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Sorry but I can assume you've never played a map with more complex rhythm patterns which are hidden totally while HD is put on. Play this Tsukasa map and send me your FC screen.
Give me a left hand that isn't shit and I'll do it.
Soarezi
Rofl, i should blame my hand for my badness too.
Ciunek

Kuruku-san wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Give me a left hand that isn't shit and I'll do it.
Go relax mode. Do it.
pooptartsonas

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

There is a difference when inside your head you think "I must do the best combo possible" and "If I miss once, we'll probably lose".
Yep...no one really ends up wanting to pick this kind of map because it ideally SHOULD be an accuracy contest, but no one wants to be that one guy who does something dumb and singlehandedly loses the pick for his team. Unfortunately I don't think accuracy maps are really cut out for a 4v4 tournament, and I say this as a player who specializes in accuracy.
JappyBabes

Salvage wrote:

Reunion is just not a good pick for finals, period .. you didn't apply the Accuracy thing in the ENTIRE owc, why apply it on finals? Hell, past owc had accuracy maps (which i liked btw) on groups/ round of 16, and the finals had harder maps than reunion, it's just too easy, i would've expected maps as hard as Ha Tenya and Magic Girl in finals, and regarding on the DT bracket and something similar in HR, same thing happened last round with Cendrillon, insanely easy maps.

Accuracy should be something applicable on groupstage and maybe round of 16 with maps like owc2, but after that you need to step it up with difficulty, every map is easier than it should've been for FINALS, you have to realize that the tournament started with the idea of having maps harder than the last owc, it doesn't matter that the original people that chose maps were unable to keep doing it, you guys had to stick to the difficulty going up, having really challenging maps on final is what people like to see and what players have to go thorugh to be legit champions, it's just like that, final has to be a big deal.
*I* didn't apply the accuracy thing throughout the entire OWC because I haven't been here the entire time. IIRC, most of it has been Darksonic/Wishy/Chewin and maybe some others to help here and there, and I consider it a mistake that accuracy was never truly tested throughout the map pools. If you're going to stick with the mindset of every map selected for the finals must be difficult to aim or have a few burst streams at high BPM, then I cannot help you. I'm not going to disregard accuracy in it's entirety as one of two components that make HR difficult (the other being smaller CS). Some selections from past pools overstepped their bounds in terms of difficulty, and just because you want the difficulty to grow exponentially, I'm not going to agree with having to make me overstep my bounds due to someone else's poor choice. In the general scope of OWCs though, this pool is overall more difficult than the final map pool of last year. Also, going through a map like Magic Girl+DT isn't as hard as it was for the players involved as it was, say, last year. Passing it does not make you a champion.

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

You think that Magic Girl and Ha-tenya would be more than appropriate for a finals map pool, then in the next paragraph say you wouldn't even be able to FC a map which has quite trivial aim requirements at a BPM<200. What do you find so appealing about a results screen which in all likelihood will end up having 8 As with less than half of an FC?

Also both Magic Girl and Ha-Tenya have consistent difficulty and allow achieving quite good combos even under pressure. Only those who actually can play the difficulty like that well can FC half of the map. And those people are just "better" in maps like that. If, for example, there happens a player who does 1x break on the Reunion, he is responsible for the whole team's loss despite not being bad at this map. How can this determine who is better at this game?

I'd rather reward the team in which one or two people did extremely well FCing a map and carrying the rest than the team which somehow managed not to miss on an easier map.

Even if we played this tournament with only [Easy] maps, there will be a case when someone breaks, screws the accuracy up. And the team is then deemed as "weaker".

I don't get what's wrong with only As in the result screen. It only shows how high the level of competition is. And those who manage to FC a map are really, really good.

We've already seen Bamboo Dance picked during UK vs KR and there was no FC, so please don't present me with some bullshit hypothetical where 'one or two people do extremely well FCing a map' when considering Magic Girl, Ha-tenya and whatever unreasonable maps Wishy wanted to add to the DT pool. Whilst there is a difference between those mindsets, you're still playing under pressure and will under perform compared to your normal play, I even mentioned in my post that in these situations where there will be players missing constantly throughout the entirety of the map that a winner could likely be determined by luck. There are 10+ maps in the pool which one or two players can carry their entire team through if they manage to FC it, however if you lower the difficulty, it not only increases the number of FCs but determines the winner by has better accuracy which has good synergy in the HR pool, considering that it's the only pick like this. I'm not going to agree that because you have nerves or something else and will miss because of that, you should disregard any sense of rhythm and rely on aim and mashing two keys, and that should not influence choice in maps. It seems entirely unreasonable that you want only the stupidly difficult maps for OWC and no maps that are determined by accuracy just because you think you'll miss on it, so you may as well just pick the hardest things in the game that most of the participants would be incapable of playing, right? No, and an [Easy] does not test accuracy so there isn't a valid reason to mention it.
AmaiHachimitsu
This is subjective, but both Magic Girl and Ha-Tenya are far easier than Fermione.
jesse1412
Accuracy CAN NOT be tested in the OWC, there is such an insanely low chance that every player will FC that it can't be measured as the main metric. It means nothing at all, I could get and 82% FC and have a higher score than everyone else combined on some maps. It can't be measured and it shouldn't be attempted. There's a reason no one picks hd too and no one picks mods for freemod unless they think it will help them (looking at HR on low AR maps), accuracy doesn't matter and neither does the extra score from adding mods. Maps should be hard enough at this point for players to be EXPECTED to break and honestly, in my opinion, they should be from the start of the OWC relative to the lowest teams remaining.

As a captain I avoid maps that are extremely easy to fc because I'm 200% sure someone will break and probably end up feeling like they caused a loss (which is a HORRIBLE feeling). I also avoid HD completely and it seems like most top teams do because HD is very luck based in MP, the maps are so easy that anyone can FC but it's still easily possible for even top players to break. Honestly I think the freemod bracket entirely is a gimmicky area, it's only use is for messing around in the group stages and showing off otherwise it's to make the maps easier to FC for the player (which is not the intention of the bracket). HD maps aren't that bad but they're rarely used because it's such an unpredictable option compared to a map where you have a good estimate of how the other team (and your own) will perform.

I think AR10.3 maps should be picked but probably easier ones like paintings for instance, certainly not until the later stages of the tournament though.

These things should probably be what map pickers are looking for:

Balanced difficulty maps.
Heavy jump maps.
Fast stream maps.
Long stream maps.
Complex pattern maps.
AR8 maps or strange AR9 maps.
Relatively easy AR10.3 map (quarter finals+).

I'd say incorporating at least one of each of those kind of maps should be the aim of the map pickers, give or take a few depending on the round (i.e no insanely fast streams in group stages).

Also it could be worth looking into the use of some high quality unranked maps, there are a few that would be perfect for a tournament setting and provide things that ranked maps simply can't provide (unranked maps are a heavy part of the game at this point to top players and even some of the more unorthodox skills commonly practiced that aren't officially supported by the BAT should be tested).
JappyBabes

jesus1412 wrote:

Accuracy CAN NOT be tested in the OWC, there is such an insanely low chance that every player will FC that it can't be measured as the main metric. It means nothing at all, I could get and 82% FC and have a higher score than everyone else combined on some maps. It can't be measured and it shouldn't be attempted. There's a reason no one picks hd too and no one picks mods for freemod unless they think it will help them (looking at HR on low AR maps), accuracy doesn't matter and neither does the extra score from adding mods. Maps should be hard enough at this point for players to be EXPECTED to break and honestly, in my opinion, they should be from the start of the OWC relative to the lowest teams remaining.

As a captain I avoid maps that are extremely easy to fc because I'm 200% sure someone will break and probably end up feeling like they caused a loss (which is a HORRIBLE feeling). I also avoid HD completely and it seems like most top teams do because HD is very luck based in MP, the maps are so easy that anyone can FC but it's still easily possible for even top players to break. Honestly I think the freemod bracket entirely is a gimmicky area, it's only use is for messing around in the group stages and showing off otherwise it's to make the maps easier to FC for the player (which is not the intention of the bracket). HD maps aren't that bad but they're rarely used because it's such an unpredictable option compared to a map where you have a good estimate of how the other team (and your own) will perform.

I think AR10.3 maps should be picked but probably easier ones like paintings for instance, certainly not until the later stages of the tournament though.

These things should probably be what map pickers are looking for:

Balanced difficulty maps.
Heavy jump maps.
Fast stream maps.
Long stream maps.
Complex pattern maps.
AR8 maps or strange AR9 maps.
Relatively easy AR10.3 map (quarter finals+).

I'd say incorporating at least one of each of those kind of maps should be the aim of the map pickers, give or take a few depending on the round (i.e no insanely fast streams in group stages).

Also it could be worth looking into the use of some high quality unranked maps, there are a few that would be perfect for a tournament setting and provide things that ranked maps simply can't provide (unranked maps are a heavy part of the game at this point to top players and even some of the more unorthodox skills commonly practiced that aren't officially supported by the BAT should be tested).
I can only see there being an insanely low chance of FCs if this was an earlier round, but it's not. You're in the final round, and teams that are in that position should be able to deal with a simple map. I can't stress how low the aim and speed requirements are for that map enough. I don't see an 82% FC 1v4 happening either, another hypothetical which I just don't see in the realm of possibility. To an extent I do agree with what you say about HD and Free Mod. There are no rules set to make Free Mod anything but another No Mod pool. I heard there was an idea floating around before OWC started to make half of the players on a team required to use mods if a map from that bracket was picked but it was shot down. HD on the other hand, as I've said before, does not modify the map which forces you to to pick a map which either strains your reading ability (good example would be gowww's Another difficulty on Halcyon) or memorization of stacked notes. The memorization hate train is quite strong among players (FL) and a lot of them also don't have the appropriate reading skill to deal with such situations. As a captain of an unfavourable team going into the OWC, your players should not feel down because they could have lost the match for their team, it's honestly quite amazing you've made it this far. As far as not picking easy maps to prevent this feeling from happening, this doesn't only happen with an accuracy war type of map. The score delta of your team and another team can be close at times on maps where there would be no FCs. If only they hadn't missed in between what could have been a 400x and won the match for their team (even though the map has a combo for 1000x for example). As for map balance, aim was valued highest with the large majority testing this primarily, then speed/stamina with 5-10, then accuracy at the very bottom with only one map. Unranked maps were put into question last week if they'd be suitable or not and iirc it was said that they would continue using ranked/approved maps for this OWC, and that they would be considered next year for the rule-set.
Almost

jesus1412 wrote:

Accuracy CAN NOT be tested in the OWC, there is such an insanely low chance that every player will FC that it can't be measured as the main metric.
It is possible to test accuracy if you set the win conditions to accuracy rather than score though. Don't know if this is possible in team matches though.
KRZY
I think something interesting is going on but I'm too lazy to read walls of text, can someone provide me with a tl;dr? Thanks.
CXu
tl;dr: People complaining about mappool, and arguments.
Wishy
tl;dr: Jappy's enter does not work. :(
Xiipher
I wrecked u all m8
Topic Starter
Loctav
tl;dr: opinions.

Everyone has a different idea of what should or could be tested. Luckily we don't rely solely on accuracy wars.
Whatsoever I will try to stress mod picks more in future, and especially FreeMod. We'll see.
I am still unhappy about the way we added FreeMod.
But for now, I need reliable map selectors first (yes, feel bad Wishy! And Darksonic! :( )
buny
how about more map selectors?

What could possibly go wrong?
Frostmourne

buny wrote:

more selectors, more leaks?

but I support for more map selectors for the next owc year.
silmarilen
there will ALWAYS be complaints about the mappool, no exceptions. i think the map selectors did a fine job this year.
Topic Starter
Loctav
There are not many capable persons to be map selectors, especially if maby potential candidates want to participate on the owc as a player.
Ciunek
I don't think potential leaks would change much. If you can't learn few maps during a period of one week then either 1) you're having a life and not having a time for clicking circles 2) you're doing something wrong 3) map is so damn hard that only top of world's elite can try FCing it.
AmaiHachimitsu
If the maps' difficulty is in our range of abilities, we don't need to practice as much.

As for selectors, I think the time spent is the most important factor. There is a shitload of maps and selectors often had to hurry with the mappool. This is not the way to go.

I'd recommend picking maps for ALL POOLS as early as month before OWC. Leaks shouldn't be a problem.
Topic Starter
Loctav
That was planned to happen. Since the very beginning.
But our beloved map selectors simply didn't do it. Lol
Not intended to offend anyone, but you guys can't imagine how often I heard the sentence "I will prepare it weeks in advance" or "I'll work on it during the entire week", but when I took a look on Saturday or Sunday, the pool was still unfinished.
I appreciate your suggestions that include the obvious. But I can not send letter bombs to everyone. Some people are simply lazy and kinda doing empty promises. Considering that I already stepped aside from being naive and relying on bare words, it is still very difficult to find the right people for it. At the end of the day I end up trusting people anyways. And somehow just a very few were capable to proof that my trust was worth it. (See JappyBabes or p3n or Marcin or Mr Color)

Also "leaks are no issue" made me lol. Because you have no idea xD
AmaiHachimitsu
I knew that Mephisto is gonna be in final pool long ago. Nothing has changed lol. Never played it before the mappool was released. Even if I did, it won't make a difference on how I perform this weekend D:
Topic Starter
Loctav
How is that related to my statement?
Salvage
Maps had a few questionable things past rounds but they weren't as bad, maybe booring for the first phase and too jump based on the other ones, but still not bad, i do think screwing up on finals is a big deal and i think the maps are way easier than they should, you simply CAN'T put easier maps than you had in groups for finals just cause you want accuracy to matter, it has already be done and you as a map selector should stick to it. Plus having maps like that (that should be easy 100% fc for the two teams involved, just ends up in a luck game, where whoever random misses loses, and it's just disgusting to see, it also happens in hard maps but you have more chances on it affecting the 8 players involved, accuracy rarely ends up applying anyways).

It isn't like the entire mappool is bad tho i guess it's just fine, and yeah i understand the problems that happened with selectors being afk for the past pools and what it caused, but well, good luck to taiwan and korea.
AmaiHachimitsu

Loctav wrote:

How is that related to my statement?
Also "leaks are no issue" made me lol. Because you have no idea xD
Blame my english comprehension if I didn't get the meaning well.

btw. Putting easier maps aside, in every DT pick Jappy has DT FC, even on those which have like 5 FCs in overall #conspiracy
Marcin
Kinda late but... added map pack of finals ;~; http://www.mediafire.com/download/igx08 ... 20Pool.rar
J V
thx Marcin :)
Marcin
In wiki I have put right one, just copy and paste went wrong hrrhrhrhr fixed.
JappyBabes

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

btw. Putting easier maps aside, in every DT pick Jappy has DT FC, even on those which have like 5 FCs in overall #conspiracy
well that's kind of how it works, you pick maps that you know, not random maps in hopes that they're fine. and colors took me a year .-.
Scorpiour

Frostmourne wrote:

buny wrote:

more selectors, more leaks?

but I support for more map selectors for the next owc year.
i would like to be but refused o_o
zozozofun
I could be a map selector if the position is open for next year.
jesse1412
Damn these picks are so fucking annoying/boring/dumb.

Nomod:

Nuclear fusion - Not a bad pick. HARD TO READ (more like dumb as fuck to read).
Ningen - Not a bad pick. HARD TO READ.
Couple dance - Terribly easy to fail on the ending due to 1 fuck up and hard to recover. Only the ending really should matter here and it's pretty boring to watch until the second half but I personally like it.
Shuffle heaven - Another chancy map but overall consistently easy to fail so not that bad. HARD TO READ.
Force of wind - Not a bad pick. HARD TO READ.
Kamui - Good pick I guess but it annoys me for some reason.

(Too much reading dependence?)

Nomod #2 (Gimmicky/joke play/showoff central):

Scream as hard as you can - Pretty generic 2013 patterns, long and gets boring fast.
Serment - Good pick but the opposite of the above map, kinda short.
Caramel - Long and boring.
Mephisto - Great nomod pick!

HD:

They're all HD mod so that sucks. They're all long as fuck apart from meme. Meme is the only one which seems interesting even slightly, the rest are dumb.

HR:

Lapfoxed - Boring as fuck relative to the intensity of other mod brackets.
Real World - Seems okay, I just dislike the mod but it's a good representation of high level hr (very generic high level hr at least).
Anisakis - INSANELY hard compared to a lot of other picks imo but a good non-generic hr map. My only issue is it requires a bit of memorizing but eh.
Reunion - What the fuck is this doing here, move it to the DT bracket or something.

DT:

Colors - Good pick.
Fermion - Total memorization double time map, no one will read this without a few plays.
Splendid encounter - Really nice AR10.3 map, not too hard that no one has a chance at comboing. Nice pick.
Parousia - Boring streamy mash map.

General:

All the mod brackets are too imbalanced or not actually mod brackets. Every bracket has it's shit picks but the nomod and nomod #2 brackets seem rather well done in general. I would be surprised to see a hd pick for obvious reasons, same with a freemod pick where someone uses a mod. A lot of maps I've listed as "good picks" aren't fun to practice or just a chore to learn, fun to watch but horrible to have to actually play.
fartownik
Damn right. First time I have to force myself to train those maps, they're quite unfun to practice.
buny
it's really hard to please you jesse

though i agree that some of the picks really don't deserve to be in the final bracket, there is certainly enough maps that are good enough as a decent roster

Also a map being too difficult to read isn't really a legitimate excuse to complain, since reading is also a skill, not just speed and aim.

imbalance is also inevitable, as you can't have two maps with the exact same skill level and also letting the teams choose from a variety of maps, rather than a similar map with a different song playing to it.
-Ryosuke

jesus1412 wrote:

Jesse, so mean :(
Synchrostar

-Kamui- wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

Jesse, so mean :(
where is the kawaii sadface ):
-Ryosuke

Synchrostar wrote:

where is the kawaii sadface ):

<3
silmarilen

suck it chaox!
show more