forum

Poll 15: Would you buy an osu! graphics tablet?

posted
Total Posts

Would you buy an osu! branded graphics tablet?

Yes
74.17%
No
25.83%
Total votes: 240
Polling ended
show more
jemhuntr
If I'm gonna buy a tablet, I'll buy this one. I'm only gonna use it mainly for osu! anyways. :>

or maybe not since i'm more into osu!mania right now. XD

so basically i'm not sure.
Ableh
i'll consider about buying tablet cause im just a poor people :|
and...

zeroclover wrote:

any pictures?
i want to look it first o_o
Nessuka
Yes.
Kyonko Hizara
plz
Topic Starter
peppy
Obviously the design hasn't been customised yet, as that would take place further down the line, but here is a photo of the tablet. Note that the business card is only there for a size comparison, as I had nothing else on my desk which would be universally recognised.

To answer some questions: The pen is comfortably thick to hold. You can hover it further away from the tablet than any wacom I have used previously. It does not have pressure sensitive input. I'd like to look into getting a smaller size, but that may end up costing much more due to being non-standard, so assume the 8x5 or 8x6" for now.

As for customisation, I don't want to make it too obnoxious (aka pink), so it would likely remain black, but have osu! artwork printed on the tablet surface or border. I'd also hope to change the orange status light on it to pink or blue :P.
Fumika
I'd like to buy that :D
Kei
The tablet looks comfortable to use.. I like very much how simple it is. Also, the osu! logo would look awesome on it.
I would like to buy one of these but I got a Bamboo tablet recently. It's really a shame because this one is a lot more cheaper than the one I bought. :?
Winshley
Voted "No" because tablet's are kinda pricey anyway. Plus, I don't wanna use tablet only for osu! anyway. ;_;

I would say "Yes" if it's osu! mouse and/or mousepad. Or maybe keyboard with osu! logo on Windows key cap. xD
Dai
buy tablet, free supporter tag
RBRat3

peppy wrote:

It does not have pressure sensitive input..
SOLD... Now I can stop murdering intuos pens XD
ampzz
I'm totally into buying gimmicky products because I like wasting money... from what my best friend tells me.

Count me in.
Vish024
If I was a tablet user, I'd definitely be interested.
Tesu
want to buy :)
ekstragosong
no.

I rarely play with tablet. I'd rather have osu!customed mouse coz the good stuff are fricking pricey.
WASSHOI
I already have a tablet, but I may but an osu! tablet to have a portable one or something to use with my laptop. Considering I don't use my tablet for anything but osu!, I would have loved this deal back when I was still making my purchase.

If it's good enough, you may even get people outside of the osu! community buying it as a budget tablet. Wouldn't it be funny to see Wacom make a new model to compete with the osu! tablet's price range?
Niko-nyan

Winshley wrote:

Voted "No" because tablet's are kinda pricey anyway. Plus, I don't wanna use tablet only for osu! anyway. ;_;

I would say "Yes" if it's osu! mouse and/or mousepad. Or maybe keyboard with osu! logo on Windows key cap. xD
skyboy19
no for me, but maybe my friend would be interested to buy this one since he searching a good cheap tablet for drawing and playing osu of course

some people say no because most of them are playing with their mouse
BulldozA
I would get one as long as it has a good design
KaaiYukiChan
if it's cheaper than any other tablets YES XD
i also want to use it to draw ._.a
Axection
I thought, it was Touchscreen Tablet like iPad (osu!stream) or Tab (osu!droid), so it looks like "touchscreen monitor extension for Windows 7 *especially osu!*".

oh, I'm wrong. It looks much more like drawing pad instead of touchscreen tablet.

looks I won't buy that. playing osu! with pen like that is really hard... better "touch with fingers" XD

IMO... 8-)
Tanzklaue
hm, problem is, with the shipping costs, it's probably as expensive as a wacom tablet. so it isn't a real alternative, and the only thing that makes it special is that it is an osu!-tablet.

if the price was much lower as a wacom tablet, it would be an real alternative (and without shipping, it already is that kind of alternatve).
Meru

skyboy19 wrote:

some people say no because most of them are playing with their mouse
maybe same like me, but I always curious how it feels play with tablet o.o
gbs tap
Hell yea!!
Garven
Why not. I think I'll come up with some other purposes too, just so I don't feel like I invested in something solely for this game >_>
Wishy
I think of this as a terrible idea, because:

1- Most people usually say "YEAH I'D BUY THAT XD" but actually they won't for several reasons. They even don't care that much, or are underage and have no way to pay for it, etc.

2- You can get an excellent Wacom product for pretty much the same money or maybe a little more. There is no real reason to buy some new brand, not as good product just to save a few bucks. Remember Wacom's CTH 460 (tablet everyone used before CTL series came out) is only $55 on Amazon, while pen only model must be a little cheaper (guessing around 45 bucks from the price difference I saw years ago when I bought my tablet). So, would you buy a random brand (no offense) tablet instead of a top brand one just for saving like 10 bucks? General answer will be: no.

3- People buying graphic tablets for serious reasons (not for osu!) will get a Wacom, always, since they're the best for any kind of art/design works. Really you gotta be an idiot if you seriously intend to do some design works and get an osu! tablet instead of a Wacom just for saving 15 bucks, which is not that much money anyways.

4- People buying a tablet just for osu! obviously don't care that much about money (yo you're buying a tablet for a goddamn rhythm game), and since they will ask for advice here and everyone will tell them Wacom is the best and that pros use Wacom tablets, then they'll probably go for the same. If you buy a tablet just for osu! it usually means you're somewhat serious about it, so you won't risk getting a possibly bad/worse tablet.

5- Battery pen is a bad and uncomfortable feature too.

6- Used Wacom tablets are way cheaperr, and usually work just fine for osu!.

If you want it to really sell in the end, you gonna have to make it WAY cheaper than a Wacom, 10 bucks cheaper is not enough imo (well, idiots may buy it/people wanting to support osu!). Well, actually most people are clueless about this kind of stuff, so yeah you could give it a try if there's no much to lose. I might buy one just for the sake of having it, wouldn't give it any use though since my Wacom is 2 years old and still perfectly working.
XPJ38

Wishy22 wrote:

Most people usually say "YEAH I'D BUY THAT XD" but actually they won't for several reasons. They even don't care that much, or are underage and have no way to pay for it, etc.
This, sadly. 65% of the community (based on this General Discussion poll) are less than 18 years old and probably don't have a credit card to buy a tablet. The poll results here are thus heavily distorted.

I am pretty sure for example that Renobagus (3 posts above), even if he says yes, won't buy one because 1/ he is 14 years old and 2/ he plays CtB.
RBRat3
2- You can get an excellent Wacom product for pretty much the same money or maybe a little more. There is no real reason to buy some new brand, not as good product just to save a few bucks. Remember Wacom's CTH 460 (tablet everyone used before CTL series came out) is only $55 on Amazon, while pen only model must be a little cheaper (guessing around 45 bucks from the price difference I saw years ago when I bought my tablet). So, would you buy a random brand (no offense) tablet instead of a top brand one just for saving like 10 bucks? General answer will be: no.
I wouldn't exactly call wacom an excellent product more like a monopolizing product. They did have better features at one point in time like individual pen ID's and dual track which would work wonders when used with mudbox but thats the past. You need to remember that wacom's aren't meant to be used for clicking circles vigorously for hours on end and having my pens cost about 55 bux a piece after shipping to replace, playing osu! with it really isn't an option. Sure I could buy a bamboo but why buy something that will ultimately have the same fate as its big brother? Being what peppy offers has no pressure support this already elevates the main point of failure in the wacom pens and I can almost guarantee that it will out last any wacom pen and be cheaper to replace in the event of failure.

3- People buying graphic tablets for serious reasons (not for osu!) will get a Wacom, always, since they're the best for any kind of art/design works. Really you gotta be an idiot if you seriously intend to do some design works and get an osu! tablet instead of a Wacom just for saving 15 bucks, which is not that much money anyways.
Peppy isnt selling this to make art with but a fun fact is that you'd be surprised what you can get away with on a cheap tablet or when your pen's pressure sensor is shot.
theowest
The tablet area is a bit too big for my taste. Most people would prefer something smaller than 3.5x5.9 inches (9x15cm).

Let's just hope the software will allow you to keep the aspect ratio when changing tablet area.
Frizz

Wishy22 wrote:

idk if this is true but from what I heard CTL-460 is discontinued (and I'm pretty sure so is CTH-460) and it is the only Wacom tablet that costs less than 100$ which you can get your hands on in the market easily. Maybe you still can get them on eBay or Amazon however they might already be old and/or in limited stock. Also CTL-460 seems to have the least durability compared to any Wacom tablet with higher price.

Wishy22 wrote:

6- Use Wacom tablets are cheaper, and usually work just fine for osu!.
Funny how the cheapest yet good Wacom tablet that I've seen in the market costs around 60$-75$, and that is CTL-460 itself. It's not even cheaper than osu! graphics tablet.

tl;dr you gotta spend around 100$ to get the cheapest and durable Wacom tablet now.
XzXGAC
Ofc Yes!
Andy Chen_old
Intuos4 master race
RBRat3

Ostrovia wrote:

Intuos4 master race
Can play osu! with 2 pens at once or puck and pen on Intuos 2, Wheres your master race now?
theowest

RBRat3 wrote:

Ostrovia wrote:

Intuos4 master race
Can play osu! with 2 pens at once or puck and pen on Intuos 2, Wheres your master race now?
Where's that possible?
RBRat3

theowest wrote:

Where's that possible?
Intuos2 9x12 and up to12x18 has dual track that allows for 2 tools to be recognized at once, Feature was discontinued because no one developed for it.
(older tabs have all the cool bells and no whistles)

While osu! doesn't see the 2nd tool position it can recognize its position click so its basically blind play with the 2nd tool for hit circles. Puck reacts differently from the pen where it just clicks in place of the 1st tool position.
theowest

RBRat3 wrote:

theowest wrote:

Where's that possible?
Intuos2 9x12 and up to12x18 has dual track that allows for 2 tools to be recognized at once, Feature was discontinued because no one developed for it.
(older tabs have all the cool bells and no whistles)

While osu! doesn't see the 2nd tool position it can recognize its position click so its basically blind play with the 2nd tool for hit circles. Puck reacts differently from the pen where it just clicks in place of the 1st tool position.
holy shit. osu!stream for your home computer!
RBRat3

theowest wrote:

holy shit. osu!stream for your home computer!
not exactly... I'd actually play like that if my left hand wasn't all retarded holding a pen, Need someone who's ambidextrous.

While it gives no real advantage what you can do is use the puck and pen and your foot on z&x to stream the fuck out of something (5 clicks) XD
Mithos
To everyone saying "wacom tablets are cheaper than 50 bucks hurr durr", I want some proof. A listing on a site where you can buy wacom tablets (as in more than one) would suffice. Posting an eBay/amazon link would just prompt me to bring up the <$50 gaming consoles listings.

I would purchase this tablet if the total price was under 60 bucks. I already own a wacom tablet, but I would buy it for the same reason you buy novelty anime plushies for 15+ dollars instead of buying animal plushies for 1-2 dollars. Assuming it looks cool (not just the osu! logo put in the playfield of a black tablet), I would have no problem in selling my wacom and buying it. Put some subtle advertising around the site, and people who are looking to play with a tablet will go to the osu! tablet first.

Protips for everyone who can't purchase online, buy prepaid credit cards. It's easy to set up, they work really well and I can confirm that they work for purchasing real life goods. Usually there isn't a tax to buying it and most sites accept them.
Rasyad95

Frizz wrote:

idk if this is true but from what I heard CTL-460 is discontinued (and I'm pretty sure so is CTH-460) and it is the only Wacom tablet that costs less than 100$ which you can get your hands on in the market easily. Maybe you still can get them on eBay or Amazon however they might already be old and/or in limited stock. Also CTL-460 seems to have the least durability compared to any Wacom tablet with higher price.

Frizz wrote:

Funny how the cheapest yet good Wacom tablet that I've seen in the market costs around 60$-75$, and that is CTL-460 itself. It's not even cheaper than osu! graphics tablet.

tl;dr you gotta spend around 100$ to get the cheapest and durable Wacom tablet now.
Agreed. Nowadays its very hard to seach for CTL-460 which is the cheapest Wacom tablet products, and if i did found one, the condition was already in a not-very-good condition. The fact is, i have Hanvon Rollick 0607 with me now and i'm getting used to it but it lacks of response in short distance compared to 1st generation of Wacom product. I do have more things to say, but since Frizz already said the things right from my mouth...
Topic Starter
peppy

Wishy22 wrote:

stuff
I was considering replying to your post until I saw you call people idiots. I lost all motivation.

theowest wrote:

The tablet area is a bit too big for my taste. Most people would prefer something smaller than 3.5x5.9 inches (9x15cm).
Let's just hope the software will allow you to keep the aspect ratio when changing tablet area.
Going smaller unfortunately would bump the price up a fair amount :(.
The drivers do allow full control over this (and have the same if not more options than wacom's drivers).

I can attest to the precision of this tablet being very usable for graphic work. I have been using it with photoshop over the last few days without issue.
JappyBabes
just wondering, would custom text engraving be possible for extra price?
show more