forum

Make Approach Rate function for user definable option

posted
Total Posts

Do you support user-definable AR in ranked play?

Yes
50.79%
Yes, with a negative multiplier
21.16%
No
28.04%
Total votes: 189
Polling ended
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,757
show more
ziin
If it were a skill like you say we would have more ar 4- insanes, because it's clearly harder.
Ekaru

ziin wrote:

If it were a skill like you say we would have more ar 4- insanes, because it's clearly harder.
Actually, I find AR 4 easier than AR 9 simply because I am able to read it easily, and don't have to react like I have to with AR 9. In fact, I hate it when AR 9 is used on songs that aren't really really fast, because then it's just a pain.

Therefore, because it's easier, it shouldn't be used on Insanes. You're so silly. \o/
ziin

Ekaru wrote:

ziin wrote:

Actually, I find AR 4 easier than AR 9 simply because I am able to read it easily, and don't have to react like I have to with AR 9. In fact, I hate it when AR 9 is used on songs that aren't really really fast, because then it's just a pain.

Therefore, because it's easier, it shouldn't be used on Insanes. You're so silly. \o/
which is easier: AR 4 or AR 7? We have circle size 6 insanes. We don't have any approach rate 4 insanes, or at least none that I've seen.

The game isn't fun if you don't know where the next note is. If a bunch of notes are stacked/clustered in one area, you need a higher AR to be able to separate the notes. Otherwise everything becomes a CF and you end up getting lost. It's the same as having an approach rate which is too high.
maay

ziin wrote:

> cs 7 is clearly harder than cs 5
> we don't have many maps with cs 7
> we don't need skill to play cs 7
ziin
some is different than none.
maay
alright, i blame shotgun symphony

anyway, afaik we don't have ranked maps with ar 10, od 10 or drain 10. no skill needed to play any of these settings, then? yay

@Ekaru try playing some high bpm insane with ar 9 and then with ar 4 or lower
Waryas
pfff ar9 is too slow
Sander-Don

JesusYamato wrote:

pfff ar9 is too slow
Ekaru

maay wrote:

@Ekaru try playing some high bpm insane with ar 9 and then with ar 4 or lower
Tested that out right now on a couple of fast maps.

It depends on the Insane, really. Straightforward ones are easy on AR 4. More confusing ones? I could do it, but I'd have to go through the map a few times first to get the hang of it. So, let's talk about AR 6, which is actually realistic. I can read this just fine on AR 6:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17338

And this:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29044

I do think there should be a minimum AR rule or guideline for Insanes, though; 7+ AR is recommended, though 6 AR is OK if it's like 110 BPM or something. But like AR 6- on a fast Insane is stupid. Sure, I can do it, but AR 7+ is funner most of the time.
Waryas
140- bpm: ar8
140-210: ar9
210+: ar10

And osu would be a better place.
Ekaru

JesusYamato wrote:

Agreed. ^_^
mm201
AR depends on the mapping. Taking a high AR map and lowering it will turn it into a confusing clusterfuck. Another map could be designed for the low AR, have no overlaps, have readable spacing, and work just fine.

A 210bpm Easy with AR10 is just stupid.
Here's a better guide: Pick an AR so that there aren't more than 4 objects onscreen at once. More if you (the mapper) are really good at dealing with overlaps.

Shael wrote:

it would be nice, because some people are not used to lower ar than 9
This is a skill they should develop. inb4 extreme case shit where maps not designed for low AR get their AR changed.
taka1235
ランキングの判定時にARの違う人どうしが一括りにされるというのは公平性に欠けると思うので反対です。
ARを全体で統一してこそ公平が保たれるのだと私は思います。
AR変更をModで行うのならば話は別ですが、Noneでやる以上はこの問題は避けられません。

またMapperの立場から見て言えば、ARという難易度基準をPlayerサイドで変更できてしまうという事は
譜面を作る人の個性を出せる幅が狭まるという事に繋がると思います。

面白いアイデアなのですが、実現は困難と感じます。
kriers

CXu wrote:

uhhh isn't reading different AR's just as much a skill as hitting jumps, small circles or streaming? I'd like this for an unranked mod, sure, but not as a ranked one. If the reason is to enjoy more maps and having fun, then you probably won't mind it being unranked anyway.
Ruiz02160
:shock:
Shael_old

JesusYamato wrote:

Ar9 for 210 is better i think
knjiga

CXu wrote:

uhhh isn't reading different AR's just as much a skill as hitting jumps, small circles or streaming? I'd like this for an unranked mod, sure, but not as a ranked one. If the reason is to enjoy more maps and having fun, then you probably won't mind it being unranked anyway.
This.

Not to mention that it would completely ruin the spirit of some maps like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/24428. Speaking of fun, successfully reading slow AR (especially with weird patterns) may be equally thrilling as reading high AR.
mm201
Now you understand why honeycombs are <3~
Hanyuu
I agree with this idea and the mods easy and hardrock should only change the timing window and circle size. So maybe easy mod will be a bit more helpfull on insane difficulty maps. DT should keep the AR too then. And AR should be set at mod selection before song, so you could set it for every song for your preference.

I hope it is not too late for this feature and i hope it will be considered :P
shaNk_old
ar is a crucial part of the game... it'd kinda ruin it if you could pick it
ziin

shaNk wrote:

ar is a crucial part of the game... so crucial that the player should be able to pick the perfect setting.
knjiga

ziin wrote:

shaNk wrote:

ar is a crucial part of the game... so crucial that the player should be able to pick the perfect setting.
no

Or yes, but then no ranking. It would be really lame if you could still rank.
Shael_old
Why?

I don't see how this would destroy rankings

Just because x-person is good with ar8, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with ar8 also
ziin

knjiga wrote:

It would be really lame if you could still rank.
you can already increase AR on ctb and taiko, or rather decrease the number of notes on the screen at one time.
knjiga

Shael wrote:

Why?

I don't see how this would destroy rankings

Just because x-person is good with ar8, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with ar8 also
Just because x-person can stream 240 bpm, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs be able to stream 240 bpm also.
Just because x-person is good with rhythm, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to be good with rhythm also.
Just because x-person has good reflexes, doesn't have to mean y-preson needs to have good reflexes also.

Unless they want to be good at the game that is.

Playing high AR (or low in some cases) requires skill, skill then shouldn't be removed from the game for basically no reason.

CTB, Taiko - How do you increase the AR there?
ziin

knjiga wrote:

With a piece of paper or a window blocking the top/side of the screen.

There is such a thing as eggpain difficulty:
Circle size too small - This makes it a whole lot harder to hit the note correctly, but usually you can still read it.
AR too high or too low - This makes it difficult to see where the next note will be, and that makes it not fun to play.
very fast BPM deathstream - usually a sign of a badly made map, but often time there is an inherent difficulty within the song. Very fast songs are almost always harder than slow songs.
Rhythms that don't make sense with the song - your style sucks, but this is all opinion based.

Most games I have played allow you to customize AR, which is really the reason for this request. When playing a map at the wrong AR, it's not fun. I don't really care about the whole "skill" thing. AR doesn't affect score, it just adds artificial difficulty. Very few people can read AR10. AR9 is more reasonable. AR8 is almost everyone who can pass insanes.

If I can pass a song on AR9 but not on AR10, why should it be AR10 then? It's a question of where the difficulty in a beatmap should lie, and it shouldn't be in your eyes. It should be based on the difficulty of the rhythms in the song.
Wishy
Being able to play all ARs is a skill, if you can't react to AR 10 it's your problem and if any map has that AR and you can't play it is just your fault, same applies to the fact that you won't be able to play HR fluently if you can't read AR 10.

Same shit with retarded low ARs, it's a damn (useless imo) hard thing to master and some maps are just about being able to read low AR.
knjiga

ziin wrote:

knjiga wrote:

With a piece of paper or a window blocking the top/side of the screen.

There is such a thing as eggpain difficulty:
Circle size too small - This makes it a whole lot harder to hit the note correctly, but usually you can still read it.
AR too high or too low - This makes it difficult to see where the next note will be, and that makes it not fun to play.
very fast BPM deathstream - usually a sign of a badly made map, but often time there is an inherent difficulty within the song. Very fast songs are almost always harder than slow songs.
Rhythms that don't make sense with the song - your style sucks, but this is all opinion based.
If those are eggpain difficulties, what are then difficulties without the eggpain part? Difficulty is difficulty, how bothersome some of its aspects are to a certain player will vary and is completely subjective. One important thing about difficultly though, is the fact that overcoming it provides enjoyment and fun. If you take any kind of difficulty out of osu you will take the potential fun from it too.

ziin wrote:

Most games I have played allow you to customize AR, which is really the reason for this request. When playing a map at the wrong AR, it's not fun. I don't really care about the whole "skill" thing. AR doesn't affect score, it just adds artificial difficulty. Very few people can read AR10. AR9 is more reasonable. AR8 is almost everyone who can pass insanes.
Well, comparing osu to other games isn't really useful that much since osu has that aspect of aiming first before you click. That part is obviously very big and AR is one of the main things that control its difficulty.

You may not care about the whole "skill" thing but you can't just dismiss the opinions of all those players who actually do care about it, and are in fact very proud of their hard earned skill (in reading high AR for example). I can completely understand that something
in a map doesn't feel right, be it AR or some other aspect, obviously I felt like that too for some maps. Still, the map is made the way it is made and you can't know the reasons for it. Changing the AR may affect the difficulty greatly, or even completely change its feel.
Those aspects are decided by the mapper, and should be respected and unchangeable (maybe you just haven't come to appreciate it yet).

If you don't care about the "skill" and also can't play the extreme (10) ARs yourself, you don't have the right to request this feature to apply for ranking.

ziin wrote:

If I can pass a song on AR9 but not on AR10, why should it be AR10 then? It's a question of where the difficulty in a beatmap should lie, and it shouldn't be in your eyes. It should be based on the difficulty of the rhythms in the song.
A lot of times would have changing the AR allowed me to pass a map I otherwise couldn't. But I don't want to cheat and change the AR to suit me, I want to pass it on that original AR, only then will I truly feel like I can pass. Cheating is exactly what it would have been.

The difficulty of a map shouldn't be in the eyes of a player (thus no changing AR). It also shouldn't be based on the difficulty of the rhythms in the song, that's completely subjective and you stated it like it's objective. The difficulty should be determined by the mapper himself. If you consider mapping a form of art, you don't take the artwork from an artist and then modify it to suit your tastes. You either like it or not.

For fun though, everything should be allowed and as I said, I don't have anything against this feature if it's only for unranked play. But I feel there are things of higher priority. (It already exists as an option by changing the AR in the editor)

But ranking is not "fun", it is serious business.
DJKero
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Priority to this!!

IT MUST BE LIKE THAT, Just name it SPEED and make x0,5 ~ x10,0 in changes of x0,5... Just like most Rhythm/Beatgames...

And available to Osu, Taiko and Catch The Beat, too all the play modes...

AND THIS NEED TO BE COUNTED AS RANKED PLAY...

This is one of Osu's Gameplay Worst errors... Really, you need to make this... and it need to be the default playstyle...

It is pathetic to think, to add this feature and make it Unranked Mode...

IT MUST BE LIKE THIS, AND RANKED...
GladiOol
If this will ever be accepted, I'll leave osu!. Just sayin'~
CPTW

GladiOol wrote:

If this will ever be accepted, I'll leave osu!. Just sayin'~
^ This ^

AR defines the map to me
aston_old
it'd make the game more boring and everyone would just set it to 6 or 7 so hard rock and double time seem easier. then you'd also have to change hard rock (as it increases AR), and you'd destroy all rankings.

MIGHT AS WELL GIVE PLAYERS THE CHOICE OF CIRCLE SIZE AND HP DRAIN TOO. DERPDERP.

If you give players the ability to control AR, you're effectively just telling yourself "eff improving, i just want to rank."

Though I seriously doubt this will be approved, I support keeping AR to the mappers, since the mapper should know best since it's a RANKED map, most likely. :)
ziin

aston wrote:

MIGHT AS WELL GIVE PLAYERS THE CHOICE OF CIRCLE SIZE AND HP DRAIN TOO. DERPDERP.
Except this is a very good idea.

OzzyOzrock wrote:

EasyMod should let you choose the diff settings. That's it.
Luna
I'd like if it were customizable for maps using the old file format from before the OD/AR split.
Everything after that has a specifically set AR and I'm fine with that, if it's too low and obnoxious to play just downrate the map if you want or play HR. Or just ignore the map, that's what I usually do.
bomber34
Idk if i am the only one ... but i think the AR should be like the mapper want it.
Some maps would be soooo easy with lower AR.But I think challenge goes first because I like challenge .
What is the next idea? Customize difficulty?

BUT if this would be an unrankeable mod it would be fine for me :D
Luna

bomber34 wrote:

Idk if i am the only one ... but i think the AR should be like the mapper want it.
Some maps would be soooo easy with lower AR.But I think challenge goes first because I like challenge .
What is the next idea? Customize difficulty?

BUT if this would be an unrankeable mod it would be fine for me :D
Actually, most people want to INCREASE the AR to make it easier.
On many Insane difficulties, AR7 and lower is a pain to read and play. AR 8/9 are the most common/popular ARs, depending on the speed of the map.
GladiOol
> Increase AR to make map easier.

So, why can't we set circle size for our selfs either then? You just put up the worst argument ever to accept this feature request.
Luna
That wasn't even supposed to be an argument.
It was just an explanation for bomber who talked about how lowering AR would make maps easier.

If you read my post before that, I only support this feature requests for maps from before the AR/OD split since they technically don't have as much of a specifically specified AR like modern maps do.
CPTW

aston wrote:

If you give players the ability to control AR, you're effectively just telling yourself "eff improving, i just want to rank."
That is it, I find fun in improving at this game(same with all games) even though I'm not good, making this option just means I just wasted 1/2 a year trying to get from ar7 to ar8 then to ar9. What would have been the point in the struggle to improve if this option was around? Where's the fun in that.

Mappers make the map, it's their decision to how the map should be (along with moderators modding it)
ztrot
this feature request makes me giggle
show more