forum

Project: Video tutorials on osu! and mapping

posted
Total Posts
show more
- S a T o -
This is a great idea, I'm glad people are willing to do this for the newbies.

Osu! is not an easy game, it's pretty hard so getting this project done will help everyone a lot.

Bravo, Osu! community, I applaud you.
Kuro
Almost forgot about this... Oh and speaking of which, has anyone made any progress on anything?
Flanster
Heh I would love to make a video on the download and register part. Kinda love doing tuts.
Deni

theowest wrote:

Checklist:
  1. Make this topic | 11/12/12 | ☑
  2. Who will record the footage and their voice * | ☐
  3. Upload all videos (Preferable at once) * | ☐
  4. Translate them into different languages * | ☐
I would love to help you out with translating some videos into german! (subtitles) :)

Would that be ok?
TheVileOne
We just need someone to make a tutorial. If you're willing and can speak well enough English, please try to make something. It will only make it harder to make the video if we stress all these specific criteria I realize. so if we just create a sample video, I'm sure it will be suitable.

Here I'll help organize it.

Videos needed

Introduction to the Editor: All the buttons, shortcuts, and windows should be explained briefly. Please include Preview time, and Kiai time. Also it would be nice if this was an intro to mapping as well, where you cover how to view ranking criteria, how to submit a map etc.

Timing: BPM and offset explanation, Common methods, how to determine timing signature, dealing with multiple BPMs/ offset changes, things to avoid/how to tell if your map is on time/ what you should do when you've already mapped a song and you need to change the timing. (Throw kiai and preview points into this since its there)

Mapping to the beat: Make sure the beginners know the basics- Hitcircles, sliders, spinners and how they are properly used. It is probably a good idea to go into basic types of mapping(stacks, jumps and streams, types of sliders, using symmetry, linear mapping, abstract mapping, overlap, blankets, crossovers, gaps and transitions, combo usage) It would also be a good idea to compare and contrast a beginner type song from a harder to map song. Briefly explain things like slider velocity changes (dos and donts), and explain the basic differences between the basic difficulty levels. Explain what makes an easy an Easy, a normal a Normal, etc....

Hitsounding: Effective ways to implement hitsounds in your map. It should include the dos and donts of hitsounding. Try to cover the most common approaches to hitsounding (explaining basic music theory would be helpful). Remember to go into custom hitsounding as well and how it should be used.

Using the Design editor and the osb: Requirements are quite obvious. go through all the things one can do in this window, how to do loops, and other things that the common beatmapper may want to include. even more importantly try to explain what you should not do in maps.

Tutorial: Adjusting bitrate
Tutorial: Common ways to reduce filesize:

I think that's all we need for beginner mapping. Any additional videos would be for advanced mappers. Lets get the beginner videos finished first. Any takers?
MMzz
I could make a quick video on how to time beatmaps and tips on getting them almost perfect.
Starry-
Wow, this seems like a really great idea, and I'm quite surprised I haven't seen this thread until now. I wish I could help in any way possible, but all I know is I definitely don't have a good voice for a tutorial.
Kuro
@TheVileOne: Narrowed down to 7 videos then?

@MMzz: Added for timing! /o/

@Loliflan: Sorry, the focus has shifted to the basic parts of mapping, you can choose one of those? (Look at TheVileOne's post for topics for tutorials)
TheVileOne
Maybe we could introduce kiai and preview time into the Introduction video. Since they are important, but not really require you to learn how to time to know. It could also be the general things every beatmapper should know when they create a beatmap type of video. You could show the ranking criteria page, and explain common things like the Song Setup field etc. What goes in source, and tags, and what doesn't.
Nyquill
I can probably do hitsounding.
Topic Starter
theowest
Feel free to edit my OP, I've been incredibly busy the past weeks and I need a lot of motivation and energy to start reply and cleaning up my OP.
but in the meantime, feel free to edit it yourself. TVO, you should be able to do that here.
TheVileOne
I didn't actually think of that. I'm dumb. Fixed.
TheVileOne
Can we get some progress on this? Do you want collaborative mapping or not?
vipto
I am so proud of you guys!
You come here an say: Yea let's really do this! We'll put so much effort!

Look what you got so far: You got lists.
Topic Starter
theowest
We're busy people and this is all voluntary.

It doesn't have to be as proper, anyone can go ahead and make a tutorial of their own using our template for which video to make, etc.
The only thing that has to be done is start asking people who are willing to record themselves, to start recording.
I'm sorry I've kind of abandoned this, but as I said earlier, I'm occupying myself with other stuff right now and I really have to save up some time for this I guess.
vipto
Give some examples of the stuff you are busy with please.
deadbeat
work \:D/
Kuro

vipto wrote:

Give some examples of the stuff you are busy with please.
Pff o3o

Ever heard of life? =.=

I'm going into the U.S. Air Force soon for BMT and I don't have time to do a tutorial. I would if I could but I can't.
TheVileOne
And progress has been made!!!!
jemhuntr
hurrr it's our periodic examssss, I'll try to work on this in a few weeks, since summer vacation is nearing.

Edit: oh cool Kuro, I didn't know you've been a Rhythm Incarnate already xD
Topic Starter
theowest
I rewrote the OP and changed a lot of things. It's now more of a collection of video tutorials on osu! and all its game modes, but at the same time asking anyone to make a tutorial for it and helping out with what to include. If you're not making a video, you can help out by finding all the tutorials, posting them here and tell as many people as possible about this project!

with that, I think this should now be moved to Gameplay and Rankings where this topic also is t/3815/ as it's pretty much the same thing, but this is more up to date.

edit: this could very well be included in the wiki later on.
edit edit: great source for inspiration and guides to make video tutorials off of: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/56 and https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/13

edit edit edit: this t/99612 would be great for improving tutorials. I know there are some, so help out by sending them this way.
TheVileOne
I think we should move into the bug random mappers ingame to create videos for us stage.

I like this new formatting btw. It's very clean and precise.
jemhuntr
hehe wait a sec i shall make an HD skin for this xD
D33d
I wouldn't mind making a quick video sometime, but my biggest setback would be my voice. It's not very foreigner-friendly and when I try to work on my diction, I sound like a complete moron.
Dolphin
Hoy Hoy!

Maybe I could participate somehow! Will be good for me since I quit LPing! :)
Mithos
I'd do a taiko mapping tutorial if I: 1)Didnt have a speech impediment or 2)knew how to map taiko.

I guess I can help by saying that the information so far has been spot on and very helpful though!
jemhuntr
If you would like to participate, please make text based tutorials for stuff. I tried starting a voiceless video (captions only) but I couldn't finish it because I lack so much knowledge on mapping (and I don't know what to put on the captions anymore so yeah).
Xakyrie
Videos with explanations in voice is a problem considering we all don't speak the same language...I guess you'll have to make do with whatever strolls along here.

If you guys are making the videos, I can help with general scripting (and by that I mean coming up with what to say, how to present the information, chronological order of things, etc).

Some of the getting started/introduction stuff appeals to me, so I may do videos. I've been told I sound very professional and have a good voice for public speaking, so yeah. I also enjoy explaining and teaching things to others, so this is in my comfort zone.
winber1
I said I would like to help.

Then I proceed not to pay attention to this thread for months.

Now I don't know what's up.

:(
Topic Starter
theowest

winber1 wrote:

I said I would like to help.

Then I proceed not to pay attention to this thread for months.

Now I don't know what's up.

:(
pretty much p/2161114
jemhuntr
anyway, just want to ask. What's the best setting for recording the screen? And what's the best program to record the screen? Seems like every program I tried makes osu! lag.

And woah. I never knew we'll be making real noob videos as well. (I mean, if you don't know how to register, how will you be able to find these videos??)

Edit: I tried starting a text only timing video. I watched Charles' videos and I was surprised that I myself couldn't properly time maps :<
I'll just try doing the noob stuff for now :<

Edit Edit: I think I'll just go with the Mapping: Details, MP3, Background, etc...
Topic Starter
theowest
Personally, I will livestream it using OBS and upload it on youtube from twitch.tv
winber1
I'd personally would rather just do mapping videos, probably more basic stuff, if anything. Unless we need really need something else?

I could also do hitsounding I guess.

But I've been quite busy lately, and I do not have a whole lot of experience making videos in the first place, but I guess I'll see what happens.
Topic Starter
theowest
Do whatever you want, just submit whatever tutorial you have made to this topic. We accept any osu! related tutorials.
HeatKai
probably you should put this inside the storyboarding too? I learn most of it from here.a video by Doomsday.
Topic Starter
theowest
That was pretty good, and is still up-to-date I guess. Added.

Did he ever create a topic or post with this video? Basically, where on osu! did you find it?
HeatKai
I got it from ziin when I'm learning how to make a storyboard.I don't know where's the real source or "if there is a" thread that Doomsday make to show this video in public.I'll try to search if I found it,I'll tell you.
Jawing
I personally made a tutorial on osu!....give me your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-3Z9LL78U
Shohei Ohtani
Damn I made a tutorial on how to download beatmaps but it broke while it was saving

#TheStruggleIsReal

I'll try the livestreaming option later. Except like I'd like to be able to edit it and stuff

There's a lot of other tutorials, on how to download, but this is the first one that has been contributed here :P.
quaternary
A video version of the Delicious Sliders guide could be nice.

I would probably do it if a) I had a microphone, and b) I actually knew how to make delicious sliders
show more