forum

Project: Video tutorials on osu! and mapping

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xakyrie
Videos with explanations in voice is a problem considering we all don't speak the same language...I guess you'll have to make do with whatever strolls along here.

If you guys are making the videos, I can help with general scripting (and by that I mean coming up with what to say, how to present the information, chronological order of things, etc).

Some of the getting started/introduction stuff appeals to me, so I may do videos. I've been told I sound very professional and have a good voice for public speaking, so yeah. I also enjoy explaining and teaching things to others, so this is in my comfort zone.
winber1
I said I would like to help.

Then I proceed not to pay attention to this thread for months.

Now I don't know what's up.

:(
Topic Starter
theowest

winber1 wrote:

I said I would like to help.

Then I proceed not to pay attention to this thread for months.

Now I don't know what's up.

:(
pretty much p/2161114
jemhuntr
anyway, just want to ask. What's the best setting for recording the screen? And what's the best program to record the screen? Seems like every program I tried makes osu! lag.

And woah. I never knew we'll be making real noob videos as well. (I mean, if you don't know how to register, how will you be able to find these videos??)

Edit: I tried starting a text only timing video. I watched Charles' videos and I was surprised that I myself couldn't properly time maps :<
I'll just try doing the noob stuff for now :<

Edit Edit: I think I'll just go with the Mapping: Details, MP3, Background, etc...
Topic Starter
theowest
Personally, I will livestream it using OBS and upload it on youtube from twitch.tv
winber1
I'd personally would rather just do mapping videos, probably more basic stuff, if anything. Unless we need really need something else?

I could also do hitsounding I guess.

But I've been quite busy lately, and I do not have a whole lot of experience making videos in the first place, but I guess I'll see what happens.
Topic Starter
theowest
Do whatever you want, just submit whatever tutorial you have made to this topic. We accept any osu! related tutorials.
HeatKai
probably you should put this inside the storyboarding too? I learn most of it from here.a video by Doomsday.
Topic Starter
theowest
That was pretty good, and is still up-to-date I guess. Added.

Did he ever create a topic or post with this video? Basically, where on osu! did you find it?
HeatKai
I got it from ziin when I'm learning how to make a storyboard.I don't know where's the real source or "if there is a" thread that Doomsday make to show this video in public.I'll try to search if I found it,I'll tell you.
Jawing
I personally made a tutorial on osu!....give me your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-3Z9LL78U
Shohei Ohtani
Damn I made a tutorial on how to download beatmaps but it broke while it was saving

#TheStruggleIsReal

I'll try the livestreaming option later. Except like I'd like to be able to edit it and stuff

There's a lot of other tutorials, on how to download, but this is the first one that has been contributed here :P.
quaternary
A video version of the Delicious Sliders guide could be nice.

I would probably do it if a) I had a microphone, and b) I actually knew how to make delicious sliders
riffy
I'm in love with CDFA's voice <3
D33d

tuddster wrote:

A video version of the Delicious Sliders guide could be nice.

I would probably do it if a) I had a microphone, and b) I actually knew how to make delicious sliders
Oh, I could have a go at a slider video. The only problem would be my extremely thick accent, so captions would probably be essential. I've never made a YouTube video before, so I'm not that sure about how to add them and that.
CXu
You can add an .srt subtitle file (I think it was .srt) to your video after you've uploaded it afair.
meigs2
Yeah, I'll make a tutorial when I get back from L.A. this week
Azer
I'd be able to make a decent guide on (Advanced?) Gameplay / explanation of mods or something similar, if no one has done it yet.
I have a quality microphone and great amounts of experience with making guides and such.
TheVileOne
No need to ask. Just make one.

BTW we might never get this collab support if we have to teach people how to make every gamemode for every category. It would be possible to have a single video/ short series of videos to cover mapping for the other gamemodes.

If you guys make a video, post it here. It doesn't need to be perfect, but make sure you cover all the basic elements related to the topic you are making. Some of the topics are very simple. It doesn't take an expert to record a video on how the game works and as long as people can reasonably understand what you are saying and you aren't stumbling over your words all over the video an accent likely will not be an issue. We can add subtitles if necessary.

(If you ask me, the people who need these guides most are people who don't know English that well). They may understand the subtitles better.
Dumie
So all the empty spots in the list are still needing a video right? I can try to make a beginner beginner video on the registering and importing processes.....
Maybe if i have time some basic intros to the game styles also.
Liiraye
I could help if it's in my better field! Let's make it happen guys.

Just give me a topic and I'll provide my biased opinions on the matter, sprinkled with other people's opinions as well.

edit: Is it ok if I cover the introduction of the editor?
ztrot
There is currently something in the works for this and will be rolled out soon.
Liiraye

ztrot wrote:

There is currently something in the works for this and will be rolled out soon.
Are you saying that my tutorial then won't be needed? answer fast please! :)
Marcin
Afaik there is already project of tutorials going on, done by ztrot, so I guess not.
Liiraye
Well that's great! It means the collab feature will be worked on soon! :)
TheVileOne
I don't have the utmost confidence that ztrot will have the time to make video tutorials. If you want to make a video, feel free to make one. There's no harm in having more than one tutorial, especially if you speak a different language. If you can make a video tutorial in your native language that would very much appreciated, especially by those who have trouble understanding English.

inb4peppy expects video tutorials for all the major languages.
Liiraye
Yeah but pretty much every swede learns English as a second language in school so I don't think they have a problem with english speaking vids :/

I would appreciate it if Ztrot replied with a more thorough explaination.
ztrot

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't have the utmost confidence that ztrot will have the time to make video tutorials. If you want to make a video, feel free to make one. There's no harm in having more than one tutorial, especially if you speak a different language. If you can make a video tutorial in your native language that would very much appreciated, especially by those who have trouble understanding English.

inb4peppy expects video tutorials for all the major languages.
one you shouldn't just assume things TVO 2 I was waiting till we had a bit more content before rolling this out but seeing as you feel I can not deliver
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMeRgqzTfC5ja40B6kM6pdg enjoy
Liiraye
Peppy: Get on the collab project asap! :D

<3 ztrot
TheVileOne
I stand corrected. :P I completely forgot about your osu!academy.

I will check them out when I get home from college.
ztrot
another video was released today if you want to check it out
Weed

ztrot wrote:

another video was released today if you want to check it out
Very professional videos you're putting out. Gl with this project.
Oinari-sama
Now that the osu!academy has been running for 8 months and going strong, can I mark this as added?

On a side note huehuehue: p/1970315

/meruns