forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
TouchFluffyTail
Seems peppy locked out all the things you shouldn't have been able to touch in the first place in osu!test. :)
Ticot
Hey, i'm just here to talk about my skin project (with my bad english). I want to make the perfect skin, the most readable skin, for skilled gamers. So, what I did now condensed in a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLbCv_sLsA

Remember that's just a prototype. So, I'm here to ask you what I should do next, to collect some advice :)
TouchFluffyTail

Ticot wrote:

Hey, i'm just here to talk about my skin project (with my bad english). I want to make the perfect skin, the most readable skin, for skilled gamers. So, what I did now condensed in a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLbCv_sLsA

Remember that's just a prototype. So, I'm here to ask you what I should do next, to collect some advice :)
People's tastes are too subjective to really make a "perfect, most-readable" skin. Just for example; I wouldn't use a single part of that skin. :P

You should really aim to make a more distinct skin rather than just a generic 'pro' skin, since they all end up looking like the same 2-3 skins.
Pilot S10
I'm converting to new behavior skin, but this happens when I finish playing a song ONLY:

(The Retry button isn't supposed to be all the way there..)

I've already tried increasing canvas width, but that doesn't work.
(I made a ranking-retry.png and pause-retry.png)

Anyone know how to fix this? :?
TouchFluffyTail
The new skin behavior uses pause-retry.png on the ranking panel. If your skin is using really wide blank spots on the pause menu buttons to offset their positions visually it's going to break your ranking panel buttons. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause that issue.
Pilot S10

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

The new skin behavior uses pause-retry.png on the ranking panel. If your skin is using really wide blank spots on the pause menu buttons to offset their positions visually it's going to break your ranking panel buttons. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause that issue.
That was the problem!
Thanks for the help! :D
Garygoh884
You can now add skin versioning by adding "Version: 2" into the skin.ini file, so no more suggesting the "Prefer new default" instructions.
Jackyyy
menu-osu.png still works for the background of the text that comes up in spectator e.g. Buffering or Host failed

- Marco -
How can i make combo burst shoot stars?
Pilot S10

marcostudios wrote:

How can i make combo burst shoot stars?
The closest way to do that is to make a static combo burst image full of stars... I don't think there's a way to make it so stars move individually. :|
duhizy
hey guys, im a noob looking for some help on making an cursor that looks like the default league of legends cursor(with top left cursor centre) and im not quite sure how it's done. Normally i just put a PNG file of the cursor in a file and put it in the skin folder and osu will play it, but for some reason i cant even get the image to show up(it reverts to default cursor). Also im not sure how to make the cursor centre at the top left without the cursor reverting to default cursor with top left enabled.

EDIT/UPDATE: i figured how to get the image and top left centre to work, my only issue now is how to get rid of the white box surrounding it :(
UPDATE 2: All good, figured it out, anyone looking for an exact replica of how a league cursor would play in game can just ask and i shall upload :)
Rio-

duhizy wrote:

hey guys, im a noob looking for some help on making an cursor that looks like the default league of legends cursor(with top left cursor centre) and im not quite sure how it's done. Normally i just put a PNG file of the cursor in a file and put it in the skin folder and osu will play it, but for some reason i cant even get the image to show up(it reverts to default cursor). Also im not sure how to make the cursor centre at the top left without the cursor reverting to default cursor with top left enabled.
Open your skin.ini... And change :
CursorCentre: 1
from 1 to 0
claudio rolna
THANK YOU1!!
funDuck
HI, i saw interesting skin and wanted to make a similar one. Here is how it looks
I figured the way of making sliders like these - make fully transparent hitcircle and hitcirceloverlay, but make numbers (default-x.png) like if they were hitcircle
But when beatmap has more then 10 1-color circles in a row it acts not like it was meant
Each circle represents one number, so the more digits in combo - the worse
Is there a way to make any combo be the same?
TouchFluffyTail
You have to mess with your HitCircleOverlap value in your skin.ini. Just increase the number incrementally untill the two images overlap eachother completely in the middle.

It's the same issue as this; p/2590159
Topic Starter
MLGnom
But for god sake... Why not just edit hitcircleoverlay and make numbers transparent? It's easier and you will get same or better result...

Edit: So the only difference is that it won't appear on end of sliders?
TouchFluffyTail

MLGnom wrote:

But for god sake... Why not just edit hitcircleoverlay and make numbers transparent? It's easier and you will get same or better result...

Edit: So the only difference is that it won't appear on end of sliders?
I somewhat like the single circle slider look, though I've played with it before and you lose things like the ability to have colored circles. It's fun to mess around with for awhile though.
funDuck
Ye, i wanted sliders to look that particular way.
Ty, it worked. Sorry for repeating the question, didnt search for that.
Sleep
Hi guys!

I want to make this black box http://oi43.tinypic.com/xef5c.jpg into somthing else.
example. Instead of the black box. I want a wallpaper there.. if you know what I mean ^__^

Thank you in advance! :3
TouchFluffyTail

Sleep wrote:

Hi guys!

I want to make this black box http://oi43.tinypic.com/xef5c.jpg into somthing else.
example. Instead of the black box. I want a wallpaper there.. if you know what I mean ^__^

Thank you in advance! :3
Can't be done, the frames on the song select screen are un-editable. The closest you could do would be to like take one of the buttons (beatmap options for example) and make it really large horizontally. This of course though would look silly and it would cover up all the other buttons and potentially your player card.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
If I'm correct you can do this with menu-back button.
I saw few screenshots where people had that part "skinned" and I'm pretty sure it was back button. (Saw it on ranking-panel and menu)
pixeldesu

MLGnom wrote:

If I'm correct you can do this with menu-back button.
I saw few screenshots where people had that part "skinned" and I'm pretty sure it was back button. (Saw it on ranking-panel and menu)
This may be right, but another possibility: To a certain test build/release we were able to change every graphical element inside osu! (if you know all the filenames of course), I guess peppy forgot to turn that off when he made the new skin with RBRat or something, but that flaw is fixed for 2 or 3 weeks now.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Screens that I saw were from public build. I'm sure it was menu-back.png . ^^;
Lantine
Where can I get that Reisen slider ball which is in skin.ini o.o?
TouchFluffyTail

Lantine wrote:

Where can I get that Reisen slider ball which is in skin.ini o.o?

t/34563
Lantine

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/34563
thx :)
shoyru166166
Hi,

How do I make the play-warningarrow not be red? I've tried checking and un-checking the Prefer new skin behavior button in the options and it stays red regardless.

Thanks.
Cokezi-
Does anyone know how I would go about recreating his inputoverlay-key and inputoverlay-background?

Skip to 2 minutes in : http://www.twitch.tv/neet_elysion/b/465913689
TouchFluffyTail

Cokezi- wrote:

Does anyone know how I would go about recreating his inputoverlay-key and inputoverlay-background?

I assume you mean how the k1/k2 don't change color when pressed. I assume he's done it by just having the key image be that yellowish outline with a blank inside, the actual color of the key is just the keyinputoverlay-background and you can't notice the additive yellow on the key graphic outline because it's already yellow.
Cokezi-

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Cokezi- wrote:

I assume you mean how the k1/k2 don't change color when pressed. I assume he's done it by just having the key image be that yellowish outline with a blank inside, the actual color of the key is just the keyinputoverlay-background and you can't notice the additive yellow on the key graphic outline because it's already yellow.
Yeah, I already recreated it exactly.. if anyone wants it lemme know.
deadbeat
*icon fix*
annanokeiji
I'm having problems trying to change the sounds of section-fail, combo-break, section pass etc.

Is there a different name for the wav / mp3 file as opposed to just section-fail.wav

Also is there a list of which sounds need to be wav and which mp3?

Thanks for the help in advance
pixeldesu

annanokeiji wrote:

Is there a different name for the wav / mp3 file as opposed to just section-fail.wav

It's the same just without the -
annanokeiji
I've tried that and now there is just silence at section fail and section pass

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lg2zp ... onpass.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/download/01fwa ... onpass.wav

These are files for section pass in WAV and MP3 is there anything else that could be wrong?

Edit: Problem was that the sounds were too quiet for osu so i had to amplify them in audacity
Rio-

annanokeiji wrote:

Also is there a list of which sounds need to be wav and which mp3?
mp3 and wav is the same thing actually, but some people prefer *.wav (For System stability)

annanokeiji wrote:

I've tried that and now there is just silence at section fail and section pass

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lg2zp ... onpass.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/download/01fwa ... onpass.wav
Here's what I got
Tested 2 Sounds with Media Player Classic : The Sound seems not too quiet, in fact... Had the same volume as those other sectionpass
Tested 2 Sounds with KM-Player : Using "Repeat One" features, the sound volume is low in the first-play (like when I played It in osu!), but in the 2nd play... The volume gradually move up and so on until It reached the Max Volume... < This is the Problem, The Sound file has "Fade-in" features
What Software did You use to Convert those? Don't use Video-Editor Software, It will cause "Fade-in" for sound file... Use some Audio-Converter Software (Like Freemake {but sadly no *.wav} or Abyssmedia {Not Freeware})
annanokeiji
^ It is probably as you said that when i converted them with audacity it made them fade in or reduced the volume amplitude, i tried amplifying them again and this is what i have now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5g69 ... tionpass(2).wav

Seems to be a reasonable volume for osu now
Rio-

annanokeiji wrote:

^ It is probably as you said that when i converted them with audacity it made them fade in or reduced the volume amplitude, i tried amplifying them again and this is what i have now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5g69 ... tionpass(2).wav

Seems to be a reasonable volume for osu now
Tested both in osu! & KM-Player, Yep... I can hear It too now....
iamdarren
any cursors tat have an like an x shaped? much help is appreciated
Garygoh884
You can apply custom key images to mania key columns, via the mania.ini files.

To use this feature, if you set KeyImage0 value to (String 1), it uses (String 1).png image.
Also the KeyImage0D value of (String 2) uses the image (String 2).png.
TouchFluffyTail

Garygoh884 wrote:

To use this feature, if you set KeyImage0 value to (String 1), it uses (String 1).png image.

This is pretty cool because it lets you do things like this in the same skin:

Still waiting on per column note images. :)
crystalsuicune
Yes
Yessssssssssssssssssssss
DepthNemexis
Guys I've got a prob.
The ranking panel isn't positioned correctly, easy, check "Prefer new default skin behaviour (animation, etc.)
When I use this option I can't use my own spinner cause the standard one will appear, anyhow if I uncheck it the ranking panel is crooked.
halp
Rio-

DepthNemexis wrote:

Guys I've got a prob.
The ranking panel isn't positioned correctly, easy, check "Prefer new default skin behaviour (animation, etc.)
When I use this option I can't use my own spinner cause the standard one will appear, anyhow if I uncheck it the ranking panel is crooked.
halp
I Suggest You should Un-Check the "Prefer New Default Skin Behavior (animation, etc.)"
For the ranking-panel.png, It needs A lot of Experiments using Any Editing-Picture Software You have (Photoshop is the Best for this) to set the Panel Position in It's Right Position... (And I'm suck at this, So I'm using A Blank picture for ranking-panel.png)
*And also providing ScreenShot will Help Us correct Your problem easier...
DepthNemexis
I'll try to stick with the image editor solution :'c
crystalsuicune

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Garygoh884 wrote:

This is pretty cool because it lets you do things like this in the same skin:

Still waiting on per column note images. :)
Can you explain this a little bit further?
I've downloaded a IIDX-styled osu!mania skin long ago,so I wanted to reskin in the turntable
Topic Starter
MLGnom

DepthNemexis wrote:

I'll try to stick with the image editor solution :'c
If you still have problems with it, just send me your skin via PM and I will fix it. :3c
TouchFluffyTail

crystalsuicune wrote:

Can you explain this a little bit further?
I've downloaded a IIDX-styled osu!mania skin long ago,so I wanted to reskin in the turntable
You have to make a new key set and then specify it in the 8k.ini. For my scratch key I named them 'mania-keyTURN' and 'mania-keyTURND' and then you have to put this in your .ini;

KeyImage0: Mania-keyTURN
KeyImage0D: Mania-KeyTURND

The rows are numbered starting with 0 at the leftmost, you don't have to put in lines for every row, just ones you want to be non standard.

(I need to write a mania skin and .ini guide)
primrose
Hey, can someone help? I remember you can put something in skin.ini to enable high resolution, but i forgot. Do anyone here knows?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
It's not skin.ini but your osu! <username>.cfg file.

Open it and look for "HighResolution : 0" and simply change to 1.
primrose
Thank you for the help and fast response!! Also I apologize for my bad English :|
TouchFluffyTail
I've made a visual mania .ini editing guide, feel free to use it in the first post, MLGnom. ;)

Feel free to ask for explanations/help on anything listed or even not listed here, I'll be updating the guide whenever needed. :)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Oh sweet, just sweet!.
Finally someone decided to make something already prepared. Continue updating this. I will use these for sure. <3
xelOwO
Hey there. I'm not quite sure if anyone has asked this before in this topic but I have a problem with the ranking-panel. It doesn't match my background -> http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1028954 .
I read a topic where someone had the same problem and you suggested to try a wp with 1366x768. I did try this but the result was the same. The thing is no matter what skin I use I have this problem. Yesterday when I first changed my ranking-panel everything was fine, it fit perfectly. But then I changed some other things (like cursor, sounds, pause background) then this happened. I don't think that it has anything to do with my problem tho. I thought maybe redownloading a skin would solve the problem but even that didnt help. My ingame resolution is 1440x900 by the way.
Maybe the solution is simple and I just cant notice it, so if you guys can help me Id appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Did you check "New skin behaviour" thing in options? It will reposition ranking-panel in all skins.

Also, shouldn't you have 1306x768 size of it? Since 1440x900 is 16:10 aspect ratio and 1366x768 is for 16:9 (it shouldn't really affect this, but you might want to check it).
xelOwO
Checking the "skin behaviour" just changes some of my panel (like "back to menu" etc) back to the original but does nothing with the pic.
Oh so I used a bad aspect ratio:D My bad. I tried with the given resolution -> http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1029043 The bottom of my pic still cannot be seen so i scrolled it up a little bit to show you the whole pic-> http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1029045 . It seems it still doesnt fit as intended. Or is it how it should be? o.o
deadbeat
again, i'm pretty sure it's meant to be like that. i remember it being that like when peppy was reworking the ranking-panel
Topic Starter
MLGnom
You are not forced to make exactly 768px height anyway. Try making 800px or something around it. Generally it needs a little positioning. ^^;
xelOwO
Well I played with the resolution a bit but no matter how big the height of my pic is the bottom of it cannot be seen :D -> http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1029079
I guess I'll just accept this or remove the panel completly. :D
Nathanael
That's because there are is a part of the ranking panel that was moved up.
You need to get how is the height of that. Add it on the height of your ranking panel but let it remain transparent on the upper part.

Let's say I'm using osu! on 1024x768 resolution.
The ranking panel size should be 1024x672 as I measured it to cover the background.
But since it was was moved upward by 22 pixels, then I should also add 22 pixels on the ranking panel making it 1024x694.

I created a new ranking panel with the size of 1024x694. Its a bit big since I added 22 pixels.
The 22 pixels on the upper part of my ranking panel should be transparent. Those transparent 22 pixels will be moved up.
The remaining parts of your ranking-panel will be covering the background.

This is how it looks like.
xelOwO
I'll try that and let you know of the results.
Thank you everybody.
Nathanael
That's how I made mine.

This is how it looks like.
xelOwO
Wait, so you can't cover the letterhead ( Or how does it called. The part where you can see the titles and stuff) with you choosen background? Cause I can see the song's background in your picture.
TouchFluffyTail
As far as I'm aware, the ranking panel is drawn at around the middle of the title bar at the top in the old style, so you can't completely cover it.
OsuMe65
Old School Ranking Panel = cover entire screen is possible
New School Ranking Panel = impossible
TouchFluffyTail

OsuMe65 wrote:

Old School Ranking Panel = cover entire screen is possible
New School Ranking Panel = impossible
Ah, I see. I was considering making a set of template .PSDs for both styles just to make it easier for people to align their panels, since the new/old style split seems to mess a lot of people up.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

TouchFluffyTail wrote:

Ah, I see. I was considering making a set of template .PSDs for both styles just to make it easier for people to align their panels, since the new/old style split seems to mess a lot of people up.
That's the reason why people should decide which behaviour they want to use in their skins before starting making a skin.
Rio-

MLGnom wrote:

That's the reason why people should decide which behaviour they want to use in their skins before starting making a skin.
Is there Any Lines in skin.ini that will force the Skin to use Old/New Style? (like behavior=0/1) If It's not, probably this'll be useful If there's any...
deadbeat
i think its Version: 1/2
but not 100% sure
Mushu
is there any way to turn off the bounce animation for the reversearrow so it's just still?
Topic Starter
MLGnom

BongJay wrote:

is there any way to turn off the bounce animation for the reversearrow so it's just still?
No, sadly you can't turn it off.

If someone is reading changelog then he know already.

You can now edit colour of Menu Glow.
You need to add "MenuGlow: 0,0,0" to skin.ini (This is supporter only (same as custom main-menu bg)
deadbeat
note:
[peppy] Allow customisation of menu glow colour (MenuGlow in skin.ini, supporter only).
Marcin

MLGnom wrote:

You need to add "MenuGlow: 0,0,0" to skin.ini (This is supporter only (same as custom main-menu bg)
I can't get it to work :/
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Well I just added random guess. Thanks for testing. XD
Of course instead of giving example how to add it we just got info only... again.

Try with additional number for transparency.
TouchFluffyTail
Works in osu!test, RGB value only, no alpha.

Marcin
SPOILER
Edit: ^ skin.ini example please?
have already tried all different kind of combinations
130,0,0 Nope
99,0,0 (in case 130 is not proper value) Nope
130,0,0,100 Nope
99,99,0,0 Nope
nope nope nope. I am out of ideas.

Ok touchthefluffy gave me idea.

This command must be put under [Colours] Section. RGB Value, no alpha.

TouchFluffyTail

Be sure to put the parameter in the [Colours] section of your skin.ini. :P
default_MM
Looking for a Blue Dragon's skin.
P.S. I ask Blue Dragon for him skin , but he say what he delete it, i got this skin on my old but that pc broken now.
[vanilla]
Where can I find that option do change the color of the menuglow? :d
I have srsly no idea o-o
and i dont know what ''skin.ini'' is xD since im not good with that stuff
deadbeat
in every skin folder should be a file called skin.ini
all you need to do is open it up with notepad, and under the [colour] section, add menuglow: 125,125,125 and it should work. you will need to be on the test build for this to work for now though. should hopefully push through the public build at some point

the 125,125,125 is just a random number. you can enter enter RGB number you want(0-255)
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Haha, knew that someone forgot to put it under [Colours]. :3c
Good to see that it's working.
Kukush_old
How do you control how fast your animations go? For example, an animated button?

The only way I can think of is to make copies of each frame, so that the animation will be slower, but that's a lot of clutter.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
That depends which one part you are actually animating.

With adding to skin.ini "AnimationFramerate: <Number of frames per second>" - This option will affect every animation that you have in your skin (except hitbursts and sliderball).
But now how to control speed with it and how to make different speed on different parts?

This is a tricky part. As stated AnimationFramrate is affecting amount of frames used per second.
Example: We have animated lifebar that contains 8 frames and animated skip button that contains 20 frames. We are setting AnimationFramerate to 4.
Full loop of lifebar animation will take 2 seconds , 5 second for skip button.
In other words The more frames you have and lower Animation Framerate is, then slower animation will be.

But now case where we want fast animation for skip and very slow for lifebar. Let's say we are using the same amount of frames as previosly stated (8 and 20)
You are setting AnimationFramerate to 10. Now you have pretty fast skip button but way too fast lifebar (less than 1 second to do loop) but you want it to be slow. So the only way is to increase amount of frames. You will need to duplicate frames few times.
Example :
scorebarcolour-0, scorebarcolour-1, scorebarcolour-2 and scorebarcolour-3 are using picture number 1. scorebarcolour-4, scorebarcolour-5, scorebarcolour-6, scorebarcolour-7 are using picture number 2 etc.

After that you will have "8 frames" as 40. So now with AnimationFramerate it will take 4 second instead less than 1.
It's not taking that much time as it's looks to duplicate frames. Generally only renaming them is a little annoying but still is possible to do this in few minutes.

(menu-back is not affected by normal duplication of frames. You need to add AnimationFramerate to control it's speed).
Kukush_old
Ah. Alright.

So, with menu-back I'll have to use AnimationFramerate, and this will affect all animated parts of my skin. Luckily, I believe the back button is the only animated part. But this really limits me.
Deif
What's the exact function of the file fruit-plate?

Mapsets that include a custom ryuuta (EXAMPLE) seem to work well w/o that element. After some tests, with and without it in the mapset folder, I honestly don't feel any visual/gameplay difference. In fact, fruit-plate doesn't even overlay fruit-ryuuta while playing (talking about the default one included in the template skin).

So it's necessary to include it into the mapset folder, or can it be avoidable? Sorry if the question sounds stupid, but I'm not a skin expert at all :P
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Fruit-plate was just a template image to use for future ryuutas. It was included in old (updater) skin template.

So, is not necessary to include it. It isn't used in skins.
DepthNemexis
So uhm, I was wondering, how can I change the font displayed on the notes (osu)
Rio-

DepthNemexis wrote:

So uhm, I was wondering, how can I change the font displayed on the notes (osu)
Change the default-0.png - default-9.png with other *.png files
iT0mT0m
I have problem with osu spinners. I try change spinner background but I have black background always on all skins which have installed. My resolution is 1366x768. I don't know why it doesn't work. Someone knows how to help me?
Topic Starter
MLGnom
What files you are changing? And are you sure you have enabled/disabled new skin behaviour?
iT0mT0m
I change 4 files
http://clip2net.com/s/5YcRdx
But i try use other skin with revised spinners and background and don't works.
Nathanael
Try placing SpinnerFadePlayfield : 0 inside Skin.ini
That might change the black background into transparent..
iT0mT0m
Unfortunately, it did not work
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Are you sure you have disabled new skin behaviour?
iT0mT0m
I unchecked this option and works. Very thanks. A change to something like I will not use?
Soreg
Hello, I need a little help. I wanna change the color of section pass circle in Photoshop. Since it has it's own gradient color I tried selecting it with magic wand than expand selection by 1 pixel. and deleting the default pink color. Alas the black areas of circle don't stay the same whatever I do. I tried blending options too to add my gradient colors but the black parts don't stay. And it looks silly if I lower down the opacity. Does anyone know an easier way to do this? Sorry guys I started learning PS recently and I can't find similar issues on the net :/
Rio-

Soreg wrote:

Hello, I need a little help. I wanna change the color of section pass circle in Photoshop. Since it has it's own gradient color I tried selecting it with magic wand than expand selection by 1 pixel. and deleting the default pink color. Alas the black areas of circle don't stay the same whatever I do. I tried blending options too to add my gradient colors but the black parts don't stay. And it looks silly if I lower down the opacity. Does anyone know an easier way to do this? Sorry guys I started learning PS recently and I can't find similar issues on the net :/
Well... In this case, I use Hue/Saturation features in Photoshop
Photoshop Elements - Adjusting color, saturation, and hue
Soreg
Thanks satriobp it worked like a charm :)
- Marco -
How to sync Skip with BPM of a song?
Heibel

marcostudios wrote:

How to sync Skip with BPM of a song?
What?
BlueStarYoshi
i saw in a video an effect when you are low on HP and the screen turns a little red

someone know how to do this effect? (i don't know if this is a part of the skin)

HP bar

low or empty HP bar

show more