forum

[added] Allow decimal values for difficulty settings

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +139
Topic Starter
Kurai
I think allowing Beatmaps to have decimal values for the Approach Rate, HP drain or the Overall Difficulty would be a good idea.
Sometimes it happens in some maps where, for exemple, Approach Rate 8 is too slow and AR 9 too fast. So 8.5 would be perfect to fix the problem.
Kite
+ Support so much

I am exactly experienced the same problem on my new map... AR 9 is too slow and AR 10 is too fast ;___;
I wish I could put 9,5 to get the perfect approach but it's not possible..
Changing it over the .osu makes the map corrupted too T_T

Please add this feature!
explorertotodile
+support
Luna
+support
Especially useful for Life Drain on Insane maps that have several slow/quiet sections. A drainrate of, say, 9 would be too hard for those slow segments but 8 would make the map too easy overall.
Kitsunemimi
I'm assuming since you're asking for decimals... this should only be accessible in the .osu files alone. Because if I saw 20 notches in the difficulty settings dialog, I think it might be a bit too much. This would definitely be useful in some situations where one setting is too low, and the next is too high, so support from me still.
Louis Cyphre
Support~
Shohei Ohtani

Kitsunemimi wrote:

I'm assuming since you're asking for decimals... this should only be accessible in the .osu files alone. Because if I saw 20 notches in the difficulty settings dialog, I think it might be a bit too much. This would definitely be useful in some situations where one setting is too low, and the next is too high, so support from me still.
Use this and support.
James2250
An interesting idea

I don't think it would be noticeable most of the time but I suppose it could be useful in certain cases, has my support anyway~
(obviously only if it would be implemented in the .osu file)
GladiOol
no support.

10 notches is more than enough.
The diffrence between 8 or 8.5 will be so little that it's basicly useless imo.
ziin
There are 3 viable settings for circle size. Ginormous, kinda big, and sorta small. Personally I think size 5 should be size 8, and we should be able to choose some of the circle sizes in between. Nobody uses anything lower than size 5 anymore (well I did, but that's a special map, and that was only size 6.

The difference between 8 and 8.5 won't be insignificant. The difference between 9 and 10 is pretty small, but it's enough to make it virtually impossible for me to read 10 and very difficult to read 9.

support, and I can't see any reason why this couldn't work, other than if the difficulties are linear/do not fit in a single function.
SapphireGhost
So, um... I like this~
I'll support, mainly for Circle Size reasons.

Largest circle size is overwhelming.
Next largest is still pretty big.
Middle circle size is a bit small.
Next smallest is just annoying.
The smallest circle size should not exist.
^ In short, ziin's post.
Soaprman
AR 8.5 has been suggested before. I don't remember what became of the thread though.

I don't have a very strong opinion on this, but I don't see harm in adding it, so I'll just nod in the general direction of Kitsunemimi and ziin's posts.
SapphireGhost
I think the main two reasons someone would use this would be to
A: Select a more appropriate circle size
OR
B: Select AR 8.5

So perhaps we should just be considering those? Or would there be more circumstances in which decimal values would be useful?
Shinde
I could not have put the first post better myself.

I hate when I'm mapping Insanes especially, and can't decide between AR 8 and 9. One is too slow, the other is a bit too fast. A happy medium between would be very useful. To a lesser extent I think this would be useful for OD and Circle Size. I don't think it would bring much to HP Drain, but meh.
Shinde
I don't really feel like pointing out the flaws in your post, but.. Almost no one plays AR or OD 10 because few people actually enjoy it. OD10 specifically makes the timing window for a 300 too narrow to usually be worth playing. Also, the max OD/AR is 10, not 11. Anyways, AR/OD 10 is only fun for a select few tier of pros and enthusiasts, and I can't see 11 being viable. Hell, most people don't even like AR/OD9. Besides that, if you see anyone playing AR10 with HR, they're almost assuredly using HD as well to make sightreading easier. HD is much more popular than HR at higher levels of difficulty as shown by pretty much every Insane's scoreboard.

I think you're getting carried away. Maybe come back in 3 years when everyone plays like Cookiezi and re-request such a thing. I dunno, I could be wrong but I don't think this is going to be added, and I think it would actually decrease the already low amount of people who HR maps that have AR/OD9. Plus this isn't really on point with the thread.
Gomo Psivarh
I think hardrock should be changed to set AR to 0 like easy since AR0 is way damn harder than AR10 in insane maps (just kidding :))

btw support. ;)

And another thing I care about is why AR7 + hardrock becomes near AR10?
Shouldn't the effect of hardrock be AR+2?
100kV
This is a good idea. Flexibility is always good.
Sushi
If I had some votes left, I would put in it

I'm so sick people saying "AR8 is too slow" and other "AR9 is too fast !" or people saying both

That could be interesting for more precision and flexibility for difficulty.

Support
Kurosanyan

Shinde wrote:

Almost no one plays AR or OD 10 because few people actually enjoy it.
Yes OD10 sucks (because if the map is 5ms or more off it make it really hard and most of the maps are 5~15ms off :/).
But AR10 isn't a problem at all. Actually there's a lot of people who likes AR10. I'm not a pro, just a good player but I play AR10 most of the time and it's easier than AR9 on the fast and hard maps. Also AR10 isn't easier with hidden when you're good at it.
I think AR10,5 isn't really necessary except for the hardest maps maybe but AR11 is just unplayable ;_;
And AR9,5 would be really great yes.
AR8,5 would be really useful for the 150~200bpm maps.

Also Circle size 4,5 for insane maps and 3,5 for the easy maps would be great :D
I don't really like circle size 5 because with HR---> lol circle size 6, too small most of the time.
awp
it's kind of like how we used to have 10 different circle sizes, but that ended up being a bad idea, so we scaled it back.

This would be like that scenario, except in reverse.
show more