forum

In what order do you guys usually make beatmaps?

posted
Total Posts

What difficulty do you start with?

Start with the easiest difficulty, then move up.
13.51%
Start with the hardest difficulty, then move down.
40.54%
Start in the middle, then go from there.
22.97%
It varies, depending on the map.
22.97%
Total votes: 74
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
This is something I'm curious about since I've started at the easiest with some maps and the hardest with others. Which direction do you usually go?
LuigiHann
I usually start with normal, although what starts as normal sometimes ends up renamed as hard.
DawnII
I also start with Normal. Usually Normal sets the basic backbone for the song, so going to easy or hard is just a matter of fewer or more notes, respectively.
Kharl
Hard is usually my starting point.
LimeGreenTeknii
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
MaybeLater_x
I go for hard and try to get a beat in at every single opportunity I can, and then I gradually get down to easier.
Larto
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Seibei4211
Hard.
An64fan
I usually start out with the easiest difficulty and the hardest, so I know what range I'll be working within and can map accordingly.
nomedeusuarionaodisp
Usually on Normal/Hard. Then I tone it down a bit for Normal/Easy, and finally I try to get inventive enough to do Insane.
Didn't work so well in my first two tries.
Zerostarry
I start with Hard, because i fail at mapping normal. (It's boring as hell too)
K2J
Easy, then Normal, then Insane, then Hard is usually my path, though I occasionally do it in a straight bottom-to-top difficulty order (which has worked out better for the maps in general - perhaps I should try it more often).

I guess it's because I suck at playing the game, so I use the easier difficulties as a way to get adjusted to the map's timing myself; I occasionally note to myself, "OK, that's a part you can map in Hard, but right now, in Easy, you've got to just slap a break there."
RemmyX25
I just map whatever I feel like and judge based off of that.

Zerostarry wrote:

I start with Hard, because i fail at mapping normal. (It's boring as hell too)
And thats where I come in :)
minyeob
Normal--->Hard--->Easy
Gemi
When mapping/charting songs for rhythm games I always start with a difficulty that fits the musics rhythms very well, resulting usually in the hardest or second hardest difficulty level on the first map. Then I move on from there by possibly creating one harder difficulty and then multiple easier ones. If I have problems with getting a good result with the first one then I ditch the whole song and move on to another one. (yes, I have a long list of songs in que for dance games especially)
DJPop
Hardest ===> Easiest
Gens
awp
I always start with Easy mode these days. I find it easier to picture how I can make a section more challenging rather than make a section less challenging, so I start at Easy, and because I hear the song so damn much while mapping, I get the easier (to map) difficulties out of the way so when it's time to come up with more challenging/clever/fun patterns I have the song better ingrained into my head. Easy -> Normal ->Hard -> Insane.
Real1
mattyu007
I always start with Insane :p (when I'm mapping authentic)
Saturos
I start with the hardest, then make it harder.
Jarby
Hard, Easy, Insane, Normal.
RemmyX25
Ekaru
TBH, what I do, is make Hard, then procrastinate on the easier difficulties forever, until I finally get bored of procrastinating, in which case I finish those.
Hitoshirenu Shourai
For me, my mapping order varies by song selection. After getting timing down, I just map whatever I want and it either turns out to be easy, normal, hard, or insane. I go from there. Most often though I end up with Normal or Hard first.
Pasonia
-
Nharox
Hard -> Insane -> Normal

I don't make Easy difficulties. D:
AceOfArrows
I too tend to write whatever goes best with the melody/lyrics as my first difficulty, which often tends to be Normal/Hard, and I calls it like I sees it.

Then I go with Normal (if the original was Hard) and Easy, which generally gives me enough gumption to do Insane.

Same with my arrow-game charting tendencies: Medium or Hard first, then work my way down to Easy and Beginner, then do Expert.
Card N'FoRcE
Kasada
lukewarmholiday
I start at the end of the map and I work my way to the beginning
Mogsy
It really varies from map to map with me.

Difficulty-wise, I usually map the difficulty that would fit perfectly with what I'm trying to accomplish first (which usually ends up being the hardest difficulty of the map). I then proceed in descending/ascending fashion if it's hard/easy, but when it's the middle difficulty first, I go with whichever difficulty I think of after I'm done mapping it.

In the map itself, again, it varies. If I want to get one certain part out of the way right off the bat, I'll start with that and work from there (usually by going back to the beginning). If not, I'll just map from start to finish.