forum

Prevention of damage in osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
arkanoss
Hello everyone!

Had long wanted to do a little reminder for exceptional people playing osu !, especially for those who play at higher levels!
But this little reminder is for all those who play osu!

Many are those who have experienced pain in the hands and wrists ,cause of repetitive movements. Stress ,cause cant get finish beatmap and you attempt 100,000 times, eyestrain and even backaches!

This post will consist of how to avoid certain physical and mental damage with good habits when playing osu!

One of the real problems today for the players in osu! It is the famous tendinitis among other problems wrist or hand.
Many workers who are dedicated to the world of computers, after 20,30 or 40 years working ,all have in one moment in their life, tendinitis and some of them have many problems of the hands or wrists , such as syndrome carpal tunnel !
In osu! is easier it happens, because you spend more time doing repetitive movements for a long time and end up hurting our hands! if we have some good habits can evading this problems!

As avoid this, or reduce the risk:
To start , before starting any session in osu! It will be good spend 5 or even 10 minutes with your hands to warm up and stretch. (It sounds absurd and really too lazy to do it, but if we want maintain healthy our hands must be done !!!: P
As we will:

Im the first person i think stretch is really absurd but when me start to make stretch i see nice results. You.. sure think is lost time , but this is false. My hands have improved a lot and pains are down. I can play 8 hours playing osu! :)

Another advice we have to follow, you need take appropriate breaks when we start to feel a little discomfort in your hands, make a stop for 5 to 10 minutes not is bad!! Our hands will thank you !!!
During the stop we can go to refresh our hands with a splash of cold water, this will help circulation and recovery from them!

You can avoid misconduct, for example:

This is a good example how make a syndrome carpal tunnel !

Stress:

Stress is one of the problems we give less importance when playing osu! How many times have tried the same map for 50, 100, 300 even 500 trys!
This can provoke feelings of helplessness frustanción among many other things. This is what we must avoid of any way! As we will:

This is known by most of the Osu community players! If you play a beatmap and you are not able to overcome at that time, LEAVE !! go to play another beatmap and try again later. Every try to do more , you go to enrage ,and we will play worse. You need leave out stress, and play other beatmaps if you continue playing same beatmap will play bad, next games and forcing our hands and eyes incorrectly :( :(

Play relaxed and enjoying the music is still our best option! I know , when you look ranking is really hard make this!

Eye damage:
OSU! not is dangerous for eyes, if we follow a series of warnings before playing, are as follows:
These are the easiest to prevent !!! It is very important that you properly configure the screen, reducing the screen brightness will be critical to our eyes do not suffer.
Having a well-lit environment will help us to force unless our eyes, have a room with nice illumination is very important for our eyes!
As in the rest of trouble, repose is essential for all, so we breaks 5-10 minutes.

Damage Back:

This part is the most general of all.
Having proper posture when standing in front of the computer help us to avoid future damage. Back straight and comfortable position! That's all =)
During breaks from 5 to 10 minutes walking a bit we come in handy!

If we follow all these steps, when we play at osu! Our health is fully shielded from harm in the future !! ;)
I will be adding information to prevent damage over time !!

These precautions are based on my experiences in osu!. Not work with all 100% but all somehow help you if you follow correctly !!
Since my damage have been reduced overdone and enjoy more from osu. 8-)
I hope this guide will help you to avoid pain and future damage !! Matane!
ZenithPhantasm
Now if only I've read this before I started osu. I already got trigger finger in my left hand ;w;
gregest
I already have RSI,too late
-sev
My right hand is kill, too late.
gregest
this game should be illegal,this game only gives pain
uzzi
Man you guys are weak.
B1rd
I got RSI, then I just took a break and did pull ups and wrist exercises and it got better.
Yuudachi-kun
How much do you play to get RSI? My longest session was 7 hours straight until I felt pain and then I just stopped for the day.
Vuelo Eluko
sitting with your back straight leads to more issues than having a bit of a comfortable slouch going will.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

How much do you play to get RSI? My longest session was 7 hours straight until I felt pain and then I just stopped for the day.
It wasn't how long I was playing but I had a bad habit of tapping extremely hard (Imagine tapping twice as hard as FunOrange) so much that I actually broke my x keycap (I'll put in a photo of said keycap when I get home in a few hours). RSI doesn't always arise from playing too much, you can get it from having terrible habits.

Also, rip left hand.
Green Platinum

CptBlackBird wrote:

osu! is actually a metaphor for life.
ZenithPhantasm

CptBlackBird wrote:

osu!=RSI simulator
gregest

Kheldragar wrote:

I played a lot and moved my whole hand while playing
silmarilen
i never got rsi from osu, am i special?
gregest

silmarilen wrote:

i never got rsi from osu, am i special?
yes
Topic Starter
arkanoss

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Now if only I've read this before I started osu. I already got tendonitis in my left hand ;w;

CptBlackBird wrote:

I already have RSI,too late

Kaienyuu wrote:

My right hand is kill, too late.

Never is late, solo if you dont have hands ;)
You can improbe if you follow this guide !
Is complety normal , if you dont have good habits the 80% of people have problems in hands , not all people but... pretty much !!

I try to save people of the RSI , futures tendinitis and other problems with this post!
Topic Starter
arkanoss

B1rd wrote:

I got RSI, then I just took a break and did pull ups and wrist exercises and it got better.
Im very happy to help you !! But you need repose and after make exercices ALL days for better results !! = )
Daborgia
Good Thread... would give a Thumbs up! And for anyone without RSI:

E m i
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome prevention

The pressure of the carpal tunnel is at its lowest when a neutral position of the wrist is maintained. Avoid prolonged wrist flexion or extension.
- Marco -

Sichurin wrote:

Good Thread... would give a Thumbs up! And for anyone without RSI:

I'm playing from 2 years and still i don't have RSI owo
show more