forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (osu!mania)

posted
Total Posts
show more
PyaKura
My Gigantic OTN Ento's Another clear gib 0 pp ;_;

#shittyaccandscore

Anyways, yeah the algorithm is considering sone patterns to be hard in ACs.
Topic Starter
Tom94

Xenlon wrote:

Ok,I played this map again but with 4k and got 765.000 points.
I personally think the 7k version is harder then the 4k,but thats not the point.
The first time I got 815.000 points and thats more then 765.000,so the first try is my Top Score.
Does this mean that I have to play some maps with 4k and 99% ,when I could pass them with 7k and 95-96%,just for the Top Score?
I think the same 7k converted map is always easier in 4k then in 7k ,but I want to play with 7k,because 4k isn't challenging me enough.
(This is my opinion,because I never saw a converted map that is easier in 7k then in 4k)
Judging from this and the mostly similar opinions I'll have adjust the difficulty algorithm, so it can give more sensible values for 4K vs 7K maps. It should be noted, though, that the 7K version already _IS_ considered harder. Just not by enough to outweight the score differences you had relative to the maximum possible scores.
Luna
My thoughts as a noob mania player:
4k is overrated at the low level, but underrated for high tier maps.
After accumulating over 1.5k plays of 7k, I tried out 4k for maybe ~150 plays. Now I have 18 4k maps in my top 20 performances (and more beyond that, but I'm too lazy to count). I mean, I probably have an advantage with 4k-type modes due to my taiko experience, but I really don't think it should outscale my 7k performances that easily.
The point is, all of the 4k maps I played are extremely easy to read with simple patterns - yet they are rated as harder than much more complex 7k maps with a similar overall note density. I'm making assumptions about your calculation methods here, but maybe you could scale down the weight of per-lane density for low density values (keep it the same or even increase it for really high density)?
On the other hand, the hardest 4k maps are weirdly underrated. Imperishable Night 2006, Bangin' Burst and Kamui are all listed as "I"-level difficulties instead of "X". That can't be right, can it?

My top 7k performance also feels a bit out-of-place. Personally I feel like my FC on Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba [LV.14] should be my top performance, but the algorithm considers Stella [Pro Drum] better. I assume it's because of accuracy since Stella uses OD9, but even so, Stella has a slightly inflated star rating in my opinion. The map uses a lot of chords, but that's about it. They are not even hard chords at all, since most of them are symmetrical and extremely repetitive. And I didn't even FC or anything. So maybe reduce difficulty of highly symmetrical maps if others get the same impression from higher level maps?
kidlat020
to give an easier example, think of a song with 1000 key counts on both 4k and 7k equally distributed on both hands.

now think that 900 keys are all in the left hand in 7k while still the same in 4k.

hope you get the picture.

also I find those maps MEANT for mania a lot easier to get 300s than those that came from autoconverts. if nothing else, I think many mania players are really, really, REALLY hungry for harder maps. Everything seems very easy to get an S.
Fudgy
There seams to be something very broken about easy mod. I first played this map : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/279134 with the EZ mode and got a low 300k score with a 88,6% accuracy which then appeared on my top5 best performance on my profile. So, I decided to beat my score without the mode to get an even better performance. I got 2x my old score BUT a 87,8% accuracy and then I suddenly lost 22 global pp. When I went to my profile, my score went from being worth 180~pp to 116pp.

It doesn't look like the EZ mod gives any kind of penalty and thus can be used to pass maps way easily and still get a better performance then when you don't use it... :|
Topic Starter
Tom94

Luna wrote:

My thoughts as a noob mania player:
4k is overrated at the low level, but underrated for high tier maps.
After accumulating over 1.5k plays of 7k, I tried out 4k for maybe ~150 plays. Now I have 18 4k maps in my top 20 performances (and more beyond that, but I'm too lazy to count). I mean, I probably have an advantage with 4k-type modes due to my taiko experience, but I really don't think it should outscale my 7k performances that easily.
The point is, all of the 4k maps I played are extremely easy to read with simple patterns - yet they are rated as harder than much more complex 7k maps with a similar overall note density. I'm making assumptions about your calculation methods here, but maybe you could scale down the weight of per-lane density for low density values (keep it the same or even increase it for really high density)?
On the other hand, the hardest 4k maps are weirdly underrated. Imperishable Night 2006, Bangin' Burst and Kamui are all listed as "I"-level difficulties instead of "X". That can't be right, can it?

My top 7k performance also feels a bit out-of-place. Personally I feel like my FC on Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba [LV.14] should be my top performance, but the algorithm considers Stella [Pro Drum] better. I assume it's because of accuracy since Stella uses OD9, but even so, Stella has a slightly inflated star rating in my opinion. The map uses a lot of chords, but that's about it. They are not even hard chords at all, since most of them are symmetrical and extremely repetitive. And I didn't even FC or anything. So maybe reduce difficulty of highly symmetrical maps if others get the same impression from higher level maps?
I plan to make quite some changes to the mania difficulty algorithm. Yes, easier 4K diffs are overrated and higher ones underrated. And yes, the algorithm overrates certain patterns in general by a lot, which is bad.

Fudgyking wrote:

There seams to be something very broken about easy mod. I first played this map : https://osu.ppy.sh/b/279134 with the EZ mode and got a low 300k score with a 88,6% accuracy which then appeared on my top5 best performance on my profile. So, I decided to beat my score without the mode to get an even better performance. I got 2x my old score BUT a 87,8% accuracy and then I suddenly lost 22 global pp. When I went to my profile, my score went from being worth 180~pp to 116pp.

It doesn't look like the EZ mod gives any kind of penalty and thus can be used to pass maps way easily and still get a better performance then when you don't use it... :|
Easy increases the HitWindow and decreases the accuracy pp you can get for your score by doing that. At your accuracy of ~88% you barely get any accuracy point anyway, so Easy won't really make a difference apart from allowing you to pass the map more easily. You would probably get a lot more pp by getting better scores and accuracy on slightly easier maps. Mind trying out and confirming, denying?

Can someone compare Easy with nomod while doing higher accuracy runs? Anything from 90% - 100% is fine, more feedback is always good.
Fudgy

Tom94 wrote:

Easy increases the HitWindow and decreases the accuracy pp you can get for your score by doing that. At your accuracy of ~88% you barely get any accuracy point anyway, so Easy won't really make a difference apart from allowing you to pass the map more easily. You would probably get a lot more pp by getting better scores and accuracy on slightly easier maps. Mind trying out and confirming, denying?

Can someone compare Easy with nomod while doing higher accuracy runs? Anything from 90% - 100% is fine, more feedback is always good.
Ok here is my feeback. I played this map until I somehow manage to beat my EZ accuracy with no mod and I finally managed to get a 89,25% accuracy. I then went to my profile to see how much pp it was worth now and..... it was worth a mere 158pp; way less than the 181pp my 88,61% EZ mod score gave me. I do not understand how this can be possible if there is truly a decrease in the accuracy pp.

I do not think it is very logical that a EZ pass with ~88% accuracy can even be CLOSE to be worth the same amount of pp as a 89% accuracy with no mod (89% is not even that bad imo).
Luna
Did you maybe have a significantly higher max combo or less misses in your Easy run?
Fudgy

Luna wrote:

Did you maybe have a significantly higher max combo or less misses in your Easy run?
In my easy run, I had a 149x max combo and 41 misses while in my no mod best score, I have a 177x max combo and 42 misses. So, yeah. Nothing that major here :|
Topic Starter
Tom94

Luna wrote:

Combo / misses don't really matter in osu!mania. The actual score relative to the maximum possible score is looked at (non-linear before someone complains :P) and accuracy is factored in, too, by a smaller portion. (See the wiki.)
Tidek
Does SV/BPM changes affect pp?

Its impossible to change scrolling speed while playing now, but as I remember It was possible to do while pausing a game (so, we have pretty high scores on "bpm jumpy" maps, now its pretty hard to get high acc on maps like this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/107565 because of scrolling speed).
Drace
EZ should definitely be nuked, 50% like its score modifier. I went to go try it and now I'm stuck with 3 plays where all I did was spam for a pass in my top 10. It's literally free pp, even new players can spam for passes on EZ...
Zealtron
HT also has a similar issue it seems.

EDIT:

Actually nevermind, I think it's getting halved/reduced accordingly. Still feels a bit much IMO.

EDIT2:

Also requesting/suggesting EZ nerf. It's ridiculous, I shot up by 300pp or so with it.
Charles445
Hello!

Easy mod's effect on osumania PP scoring has become a pretty prevalent point of discussion around #osumania.

Right now Easy mod doesn't take off nearly as many PP points as it needs to. It has become a huge strategy to simply put on Easy mod and spam your way through a very difficult map and reap all of the points.
Bobbias
Case in point, look at my top PP earning score:

I'm gonna miss those points.
Tidek

Tidek wrote:

Its impossible to change scrolling speed while playing now, but as I remember It was possible to do while pausing a game (so, we have pretty high scores on "bpm jumpy" maps, now its pretty hard to get high acc on maps like this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/107565 because of scrolling speed).

Bumping this and 1 more question, does DT in future will affect PP? Because atm its pretty useless mod to use because you are not getting any bonus for map difficulty...
PyaKura

Tidek wrote:

Tidek wrote:

Bumping this and 1 more question, does DT in future will affect PP? Because atm its pretty useless mod to use because you are not getting any bonus for map difficulty...
Was already implemented, but then removed. And tbh I don't like the fact of playing w/ mods to get more points.
Kamikaze
It would be okay if DT would have it's own scoreboard, right now it's pointless because pepole who were going for #1's can't get pp from DT plays even if they can FC with it, also we didn't really get any response about EZ mod and I don't see changes in mod key weighting, is this thread already abandoned? D:
Luna

-Kamikaze- wrote:

also we didn't really get any response about EZ mod and I don't see changes in mod key weighting, is this thread already abandoned? D:
There haven't been updates to the pp system for any of the modes in a while, so don't worry - Tom is not specifically ignoring this thread or anything. I'm assuming he's busy with personal stuff; just give it some time and eventually updates will happen.
mathl33t
I just lost 1 pp by beating my best score on a map. My accuracy went down, so maybe it's that. If it is, then scoring needs to be looked at. One or the other of pp and scoring needs to be fixed so that this situation doesn't happen.
Meseki

mathl33t wrote:

I just lost 1 pp by beating my best score on a map. My accuracy went down, so maybe it's that. If it is, then scoring needs to be looked at. One or the other of pp and scoring needs to be fixed so that this situation doesn't happen.
It's already been determined that score alone is not an accurate measure of performance and that your best score may not mean your best performance.

However, I believe that fixing that issue would require either a scoreboard wipe (of over 6 years of scores, since I'm pretty sure the issue applies to all modes) or storing two scores on the server, which would drastically increase the space used.

It's a problem that we may have no choice but to deal with.
Kamikaze

Meseki wrote:

mathl33t wrote:

It's already been determined that score alone is not an accurate measure of performance and that your best score may not mean your best performance.

However, I believe that fixing that issue would require either a scoreboard wipe (of over 6 years of scores, since I'm pretty sure the issue applies to all modes) or storing two scores on the server, which would drastically increase the space used.

It's a problem that we may have no choice but to deal with.
Funny thing that I've beaten my Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba [LV.28] S (95,3%, 800k pts) with an A (94,92%, 821k) and it went from 230pp worth to 237pp. I believe acc has nothing to do with it, it's just weighted by score.
PyaKura
IIRC Tom said acc DOES have to do with it, but it's far more negligible than actual score.
Topic Starter
Tom94

PyaKura wrote:

IIRC Tom said acc DOES have to do with it, but it's far more negligible than actual score.
That's true.
October Scream
Are we still figuring out a way to fix the EZ mod=Full pp problem?

PS: Sorry for ratting you out like this Blocko ;-; But you're the only example I have
ArcherLove
^that lolol
zKskita
I just beat my highest EZ score in Zirkfied with HT by quite a wide margin and went from A to S. The result was losing 16 pp...

Comparison:

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1692819
October Scream

zKskita wrote:

I just beat my highest EZ score in Zirkfied with HT by quite a wide margin and went from A to S. The result was losing 16 pp...
You still got a crap ton of pp for a halftime mod o_o

261 pp for a Zirkfied HT clear on extra!

So we got HT giving almost full pp, EZ giving full pp, and NF giving the least only ._.

EDIT: I did some looking around, and I guess all those clears with EZ or HT are the result of I'd say a 1/3 deduction. 1/3 doesn't seem like enough even. Any player can mash the hardest part of a song with EZ, even the best if they want! I think the pp for Easy mods should be reduced by 2/3-7/8, but that's just me.
Mono3341480
Should review and change the number of stars (or difficulty) of maps because it is not very consistent to say ...
A 2 star beatmap can be much more difficult than other 2.5 or 3 star ...
Drace
Well that's to be expected with an algorithm without any pattern recongnition
October Scream

Drace wrote:

Well that's to be expected with an algorithm without any pattern recongnition
This is why I thought we should have a MAT (Mania appreciation team) or something like that. A computer can't compute the difficulty of a mania map like it can for any other game mode difficulty since mania hasn't been around long on osu!. The minds of 20 players more or less if needed can come up with a better solution of difficulty rating. The only problem with starting a team like that is finding a group of well balanced people. I have a few on my mind who could possibly do something like this, but only a few and not knowing if they'd be willing at first.
Drace
"You" were not the one who thought of it, watch your wording. It was first brought up by Envi and me on page 7.

Considering how we can't even find BATs, a diff grading team might actually not be the best idea. Well for now atleast.
October Scream

Drace wrote:

"You" were not the one who thought of it, watch your wording. It was first brought up by Envi and me on page 7.

Considering how we can't even find BATs, a diff grading team might actually not be the best idea. Well for now atleast.
The reason I said "I" was because Tom brought up the topic again to me after a suggestion to peppy I gave weeks before the chat feud. (That was when the whole DT PP giving too much feud was happening.)
October Scream
2014-03-09 12:02 October Scream: There is a whole contriversy in #osumania due to your pp system and dt
2014-03-09 12:02 October Scream: http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1403048
2014-03-09 15:55 Tom94: did you take any steps towards a mania difficulty rating team, by the way?
2014-03-09 15:56 October Scream: I've conversed with a few about it, but they usually forget I was talking with them or they're rarely on.
2014-03-09 15:57 Tom94: aww. it would have been really nice to have some big feedback group there
2014-03-09 15:57 October Scream: I would talk with ideu-, Entozer, _S U W A K O_, and MoTeSolo about 7k. And Staiain would be a good 4k reviewer
2014-03-09 15:57 October Scream: Other keys I haven't searched though
2014-03-09 15:58 Tom94: there would have to be multiple representatives for each keymode, though. can't just have a single person / nobody :/
2014-03-09 15:58 Tom94: oh well, gotta deal with what's in the thread so far
2014-03-09 15:58 October Scream: I know. I forgot to mention Gon since he's a good 4k player
2014-03-09 15:58 October Scream: And ok

There's part of the chatlog, Drace. The rest after that was personal problems rather finding a solution to current community problems.
ArcherLove

17VA wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/370840

native faith 1K master? - why 1K
HAHAHAHA XD
PyaKura
Actually I think acquiring a MAT would be much less difficult to do than finding BATs, since what you have to do for your is simply playtesting, wow.
Yuzeyun
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/92190 <= 7.11, passed by a lot of people, some being very close to 99%
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/179779 + p/3160605 <= 7.13, having played it I am sure Staiain will have a very hard time passing it.

Why ?
PyaKura

_Gezo_ wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/92190 <= 7.11, passed by a lot of people, some being very close to 99%
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/179779 + p/3160605 <= 7.13, having played it I am sure Staiain will have a very hard time passing it.

Why ?
ACs' SR may very well be broken. You're also comparing an extreme 7K mania spec with a (extreme ?) 4K AC here...
Yuzeyun
I do, but don't you see the keycount greatly influences the SR of mania mapsets.
Some middle-hard converts which are about 2.5 apparently are higher rated than hard 4K charts, which is unfair.

Also download the map provided in the post I've linked; you will see what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a chart which has 510 1/4 patterns, 255 1/4 jackhammers, and what makes this 4K complete hell.
PyaKura
my bad forgive me senpia
show more