forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Furyf1ghter
make someone do impossible map with M1ll10n PP song by camellia and make it 1million PP but literally impossible and rakned
Miguel Mella
I would like to be way faster at this garbage game
Jaer_old_2
So far so good, imo! good job :)
Coldeerr

Michi wrote:

No complaints from my end so far. :D
nice
aternal_old_2
egg
Farfocele
Please buff lower AR on higher star ratings in the rebalance
Seo Joo-Heon
'+'
TV4Free
Hey, I'm not sure if anyone on the developing side of osu! will see this, but I think it's something that needs to be said. Your ranking system is really cruel to those who have been inactive for loong periods of time. I just started playing again after just getting a good set up. Being gone for over 3/4 of the year, I'm not performing as well as I did months prior, so I want to play maps a BIT under my apparent skill ceiling, to get back in the rhythm of it. Here is where the issue lies: whenever I play through a map in the low 3 stars (my max is around 3.8 back then), let alone FC it; and I lose a LOT of rank!!! I get so tight when I lose hundreds of rankings for fc'ing a 3.3 star beatmap. HOWEVER, if I play a 3.5 map and get a B on it, I'll get a better result from it!! I know ranking isn't everything in this game, but it can be really demoralizing for someone who is trying to get into the game. again, not sure if anyone will see this in this dead of a forum.

Imma go back grinding and crying lol
Volchonokilli

MidwayLemur3 wrote:

I get so tight when I lose hundreds of rankings for fc'ing a 3.3 star beatmap. HOWEVER, if I play a 3.5 map and get a B on it, I'll get a better result from it!!
Imma go back grinding and crying lol
Right now a lot of people are very active in this game, so losing ranks is not you performing "not as good", it's simply other people playing at the same time as you and getting more performance points to their profile. If you are playing after a very long break and you'll be active, soon enough you'll see yourself getting a fair amount of ranks. Don't worry about it and have fun, with patience you'll see situation changing
gummibar
an issue i've been encountering ever since i started playing the game is that, per difficulty, the play with the highest score counts towards your rank, not the play with your highest performance points. this is incredibly frustrating as it makes it possible to lose rank when getting a new local #1 score with lower acc, and this happens to me alll of the time. for a famous example, if, after shigetora got his 817 on remote control, vaxei decided to hack into shigetora's account somehow and set his 813 which was higher score but lower pp, shigetora would lose 7 pp. this overall is not too huge of a deal, but it sucks. sucks quite a bit actually. yes, it is an actual thing. hand on heart, this is an actual thing. happened way too many times for it to be some kind of spectacular coincidence. i would be happy to spend some time providing some evidence if anyone thinks otherwise. thats not meant to be passive aggressive, i'm fine with doing it.

actually this may just be incorrect. mrekk's 1k on imagination overwrote his 900 even though it has lower score. strange. unless the addition of hr has something to do with this, i'm completely off the mark.
YounGeRr
think cool
Makochi
Poggers
vanati
pp buff pls
c0ra
abolish pp
[ KrulYuno ]
Oh, buffing lower AR is also nice.
Vivers
ok)
Younggeddes
I'm a 6-digit that just got this with the new pp system:

I thought for sure this would be my pp best on this map because it outshined my previous best in every aspect. However I check my plays and I see this:

I feel something is very wrong in how pp is calculated now. At least...exceptions like this should not exist.

Edit, this just in:

I have so many questions...

Are the in-game pp totals still using the old pp algorithm?

As for the Black Rover debacle, the combo count on the C rank was higher, and without NF, its score would be higher...but the acc is so bad and in that run I definitely would have failed so surely the pp value takes a hit no? So then I ask as well, are the pp values in our profiles all updated to the new algorithm?
wont
so I uh just went up 30k ranks after playing a map, (which by the way isn't any of my top plays) I'm assuming pp rework is here?
Qneto

Messiah_ wrote:

so I uh just went up 30k ranks after playing a map, (which by the way isn't any of my top plays) I'm assuming pp rework is here?
same here I just went up over 100k in ranks by playing a map.
RockRoller

Vivers wrote:

ok)

Messiah_ wrote:

Qneto wrote:

Messiah_ wrote:

Please be aware that there currently are major changes to the system in process. Read more in the related news article: home/news/2021-01-14-performance-points-updates
FourCan
Since nowadays, more tournaments are being hosted across different ranges. why not design an ai or some sort of compiler that would notice the similarities between the maps and difficulties of a pool to give pp according to the style of mapping that the maps are in. for example some 5.3* tech maps are about in equivalent difficulty as to those aim maps at 5.7 but they give way less pp. maybe if we could set maps with difficulties that are according to their tournament counterparts it would give a slightly more accurate representation of how much pp a map should deserve and reflect its difficulty slightly more accurately.
Syrup_

FourCan wrote:

Since nowadays, more tournaments are being hosted across different ranges. why not design an ai or some sort of compiler that would notice the similarities between the maps and difficulties of a pool to give pp according to the style of mapping that the maps are in. for example some 5.3* tech maps are about in equivalent difficulty as to those aim maps at 5.7 but they give way less pp. maybe if we could set maps with difficulties that are according to their tournament counterparts it would give a slightly more accurate representation of how much pp a map should deserve and reflect its difficulty slightly more accurately.
They dont do this because they dont have someone that can make an ai for this, but if they did it would most likley take a little while cause of how many ranked maps there are so many ranked maps.
[LS]PositoniX

iuzu wrote:

it would most likley take a little while cause of how many ranked maps there are so many ranked maps.
i bet that would work really well on mania than
Turky_sandwich

Qneto wrote:

Messiah_ wrote:

I went from 1.1 mil to 700k from the rework lol. Playing the map just updates all your stats post-rework and adjusts all your top plays
[ plutoh ]
Are people still talking about the rework pp gain & loss? It happened in like January so by now all of you should've at least played 1 game since then. Maybe not, but if I remember right when the rework happened I initially dropped 80k ranks then gained like 180k the next day and it took me to 500k. Now 2 months later im at 160k hehe im a dirty pp farmer

edit:hehe i was post 2700
CentricalMC

qtplutoh wrote:

Are people still talking about the rework pp gain & loss? It happened in like January so by now all of you should've at least played 1 game since then. Maybe not, but if I remember right when the rework happened I initially dropped 80k ranks then gained like 180k the next day and it took me to 500k. Now 2 months later im at 160k hehe im a dirty pp farmer

edit:hehe i was post 2700
i joined after pp rework so i have no clue how it was before the rework.
tumadrepro
hi guys, so my game is kinda broken. So long story short I want to rank up but I can't because i play maps and get some A's or B's from maps that are at my level and still don't get any rank the only time is when I go to school and play there, that's the only time that I can play and my rank goes up
mapko--
das PP System ist ja mal so scheiße. Ich hasse den ersteller. Bitte ändern.
gemida
@mapko-- learn to play noob
Adachi-Sakura

Tom94 wrote:

Hello everyone,

please leave your feedback for the Standard mode performance ranking here. Every suggestion is appreciated!

Changes to the system are documented in the changelog.
my best play is gone because I played the map again and got less pp.

Great ranking, I love it when you see that you are improving
ThatOneNerd1
I know this is probably old, overposted, and a crappy suggestion, but I just want to put my opinion out here. I think that the scoring system should be just a little bit more lenient on combo and more based on accuracy. A choke is currently worse a lot less than a FC, and two comparable clears with one FC and one with a couple of misses have INCREDIBLY different scores. That's just my opinion though, please don't harass me for it. Instead, if you can have some constructive feedback and a reason why this is the case, I will gladly accept that.
Ro3B1E
I don't really know how it is measured because I get a B on one of the hardest levels I've ever completed and it gives me nothing, but then I get an A on some 2* level and it gives me 4 pp. so i think that the system should be explained more
purplemint

Ro3B1E wrote:

I don't really know how it is measured because I get a B on one of the hardest levels I've ever completed and it gives me nothing, but then I get an A on some 2* level and it gives me 4 pp. so i think that the system should be explained more
This is one of the thing osu fails to explain to newcomers/beginners. People usually download this for fun or from recommendation, as I did, and they just play maps without even knowing anything about performance points (pp) and star ratings until they reach mid 6-digit. I too, just played without knowing anything about pp until one of my friends who play osu told me about it.

So basically, pp is a reward system that is given for every ranked map you play (whether a map is ranked or not will be written in the map on the website). Higher pp is given for plays with 1. more jumps hit, 2. more streams hit, 3. better combo and 4. better accuracy. Also, the more misses you get, the less pp you will have at the end.

There are lots of other factors that will make the pp go down or up, but these are the main things.

So for example, if you hit a series of jumps without losing combo, depending on how hard it is to hit the jumps in a row, more pp will be rewarded. This also goes for streams; if you hit like 10 circles in a row that is right next to each other, it might increase the pp by a little (maybe like 1-5pp). However, if by any chance you miss or break your combo, you will start losing your pp, and how fast it goes down depends on how well you play after you lose the combo.

Another thing that will depend a lot will be accuracy. If a map gives like 100pp with 100% accuracy fc (full combo), it might give only like 85 pp if the accuracy is 95% (fc).

As long as you keep your combo, every 300 you get will increase your pp by any means. This is why if you lose your combo in the middle of a play, you will start losing combo until it eventually reaches an incredibly low amount of pp. Therefore, shorter maps are better/easier for getting pp, because a shorter map means less chance of losing combo frequently.

This also answers your question on the two plays you got. Even if you passed a really hard map with a grade of 'B', if you didn't keep your combo, accuracy, and did not hit any hard jumps, it is the reason why you got almost no pp at all. Same thing for your 2* play. Since you kept your accuracy high and combo for a while, you got more pp than the other play.

This isn't a detailed description of how pp works, there are lots of other things that will make the change in pp vary. Also it might be confusing but hope this answered your "pp question". Like I said, osu has to tell beginners about pp, they shouldn't expect people who are playing this game for fun to discover ranking and competition on their own.
Malkior
In my opinion, some characteristics should be implemented in the star rating section and pp. Finger control is the hardest skill set in this game, more than stream, spaced streams and cross screen jumps and that skill set should value more pp. You gain pp from aim, accuracy and speed, finger control should be implemented in this and have more weight than these others. this site has some good changes in the star rating / pp system https://newpp.stanr.info Longer maps should give way more pp than short maps. The player should be more rewarded to FC a map that is 5 minutes or more even if they are not that hard, because consistency is a hard thing to develop and is a mental battle to FC longer maps, this should be more considered, the recent changes are not enough.
Ro3B1E

purplemint wrote:

Ro3B1E wrote:

This is one of the thing osu fails to explain to newcomers/beginners. People usually download this for fun or from recommendation, as I did, and they just play maps without even knowing anything about performance points (pp) and star ratings until they reach mid 6-digit. I too, just played without knowing anything about pp until one of my friends who play osu told me about it.

So basically, pp is a reward system that is given for every ranked map you play (whether a map is ranked or not will be written in the map on the website). Higher pp is given for plays with 1. more jumps hit, 2. more streams hit, 3. better combo and 4. better accuracy. Also, the more misses you get, the less pp you will have at the end.

There are lots of other factors that will make the pp go down or up, but these are the main things.

So for example, if you hit a series of jumps without losing combo, depending on how hard it is to hit the jumps in a row, more pp will be rewarded. This also goes for streams; if you hit like 10 circles in a row that is right next to each other, it might increase the pp by a little (maybe like 1-5pp). However, if by any chance you miss or break your combo, you will start losing your pp, and how fast it goes down depends on how well you play after you lose the combo.

Another thing that will depend a lot will be accuracy. If a map gives like 100pp with 100% accuracy fc (full combo), it might give only like 85 pp if the accuracy is 95% (fc).

As long as you keep your combo, every 300 you get will increase your pp by any means. This is why if you lose your combo in the middle of a play, you will start losing combo until it eventually reaches an incredibly low amount of pp. Therefore, shorter maps are better/easier for getting pp, because a shorter map means less chance of losing combo frequently.

This also answers your question on the two plays you got. Even if you passed a really hard map with a grade of 'B', if you didn't keep your combo, accuracy, and did not hit any hard jumps, it is the reason why you got almost no pp at all. Same thing for your 2* play. Since you kept your accuracy high and combo for a while, you got more pp than the other play.

This isn't a detailed description of how pp works, there are lots of other things that will make the change in pp vary. Also it might be confusing but hope this answered your "pp question". Like I said, osu has to tell beginners about pp, they shouldn't expect people who are playing this game for fun to discover ranking and competition on their own.
that is so useful to know thank you! ill keep in mind getting the higher combo but what are jumps and streams?
purplemint

Ro3B1E wrote:

purplemint wrote:

Ro3B1E wrote:

that is so useful to know thank you! ill keep in mind getting the higher combo but what are jumps and streams?
"Jumps" refer to a series of circles that approach and are far from each other. After you hit a circle, then another circle comes and is pretty far away from the first circle, it would be described as a jump or jumps, depending on how many circles approach in a row. "Streams" is a way to describe a bunch of circles that approach in a row; most of the times it would look like circles laying side to side overlapping each other. If this is hard to understand, you might wanna search some youtube videos on jumps and streams. Also, you'll get to know much more about this game as you play more, so play in your free time! :-D
KIYUUUUU
Ok thanks!
Wolframio-74
I asume a lot of people already asked this, so I apologize for that. ^^'

Well, I've been playing some songs where I get A or S, but when I go to my profile to chech my pp, I see that I have only gotten 1 or 2 per song, when I was supossed to get more. (I have to clarify that the song that I mean, have only been played by me, once).

For example, this song says that I'd give me 61 pp (I think), but I actually only got a small fraction of it.

Sorry for the Spanish in the image, btw.
[LS]PositoniX

Wolframio-74 wrote:

Well, I've been playing some songs where I get A or S, but when I go to my profile to chech my pp, I see that I have only gotten 1 or 2 per song, when I was supossed to get more. (I have to clarify that the song that I mean, have only been played by me, once).

For example, tthis song says that I'd give me 61 pp (I think), but I actually only got a small fraction of it.

because of the way the pp system works, all of your plays are only worth a fraction of your top play. for example, if your top play is 100pp, than your #2 play will be worth 95 pp, your #3 will be worth 90pp, etc. this scale is not linear, so lower plays are worth significantly less than your other plays.
Wolframio-74

[LS]PositoniX wrote:

Wolframio-74 wrote:

For example, tthis song says that I'd give me 61 pp (I think), but I actually only got a small fraction of it.

because of the way the pp system works, all of your plays are only worth a fraction of your top play. for example, if your top play is 100pp, than your #2 play will be worth 95 pp, your #3 will be worth 90pp, etc. this scale is not linear, so lower plays are worth significantly less than your other plays.

Ohhhhhh. I see.
Thank you a lot.^^ Now it makes sense that some SS songs aren't worth the 100% of the song.

Sounds like the interesting way to rate performance.
show more