forum

Vim! - No

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Malikil
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on July-03-14 at 11:18:20 AM

Artist: Vim!
Title: No
Tags: chiptune eddsworld
BPM: 125
Filesize: 4826kb
Play Time: 03:11
Difficulties Available:
  1. Maybe (3.78 stars, 741 notes)
  2. No. (6.45 stars, 947 notes)
  3. Probably (2.42 stars, 347 notes)
  4. Yes! (1.55 stars, 177 notes)
Download: Vim! - No
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
My first beatmap, so I'm still learning a few things.
If you mod my map, I will love you forever.
Thanks to xxYaoNinjaxx for making the background, and to Your Good Self for fixing the audio file.
Yes! (Easy): Complete
Probably (Normal): Complete
Maybe (Hard): Mapped ~33% Hitsounds
No. (Insane): Mapped
28-Nov-13: Changed normal to hard and hard to insane, redownload if you got the map before then.
28-Mar-14: Changed hard back to normal, insane back to hard, added new insane difficulty.
01-Apr-14: Gave all difficulties custom names.
05-May-14: Changed audio file.
lucalima99
hard: need a little jumps, puts some spin

normal:separate a bit, puts some spin

all:need kiai time
Topic Starter
Malikil

lucalima99 wrote:

hard: need a little jumps, puts some spin

normal:separate a bit, puts some spin

all:need kiai time
For the little jumps in hard; I spread out the three green circles around 1:37 to make it a bit more of a stretch getting them, but beyond that I didn't want to put in many big jumps because I wanted to keep the map as a whole relatively streamlined and consistent-flow-y didn't know where I could add any jumps without just breaking everything.

Separating the notes in normal would increase the difficulty, and that's not really what I want to be doing because it's already a bit harder than I would normally look for in a normal difficulty, and I want to keep it normal as opposed to hard. Although if I add a different normal difficulty, call this one hard and call hard insane, I will increase the distance between at least some notes.
Edit: Okay, so in reality I just looked at the notes, thought to myself what I would need to move in order to spread things out, then panicked and made up this terrible excuse :cry:

I'm assuming some spin means spinners, and in hard I was wanting to avoid spinners if I could, and used the sliders to hit each note instead. While normal already has 4 and I'm not really sure where else another one could go while still fitting the song.

For kiai time; I did try to find somewhere for it, but none of the song really stood out to me as being the big important part, kind of as an all or none kind of thing. If you had a specific section in mind then I'll look into that, but as it stands I couldn't find a spot for any.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my map and share your thoughts.
Couchman_old
Normal:
-Notes are too close together in a few parts
-Slider placement towards the end a bit difficult to read

Easy:
-Some sliders are iffy to read because they are so short
-Slider shapes are awkward in a few parts
-Note placement around 1:11:00-1:14:00 a bit odd

Hard song. I'm sure the map is fine, though.
Topic Starter
Malikil

Couchman wrote:

Normal:
-Notes are too close together in a few parts
-Slider placement towards the end a bit difficult to read

Easy:
-Some sliders are iffy to read because they are so short
-Slider shapes are awkward in a few parts
-Note placement around 1:11:00-1:14:00 a bit odd

Hard song. I'm sure the map is fine, though.
Normal:
I ran through the aimod list of notes that were close together and fixed all the ones that seemed like they might be confusing.
Split up all those sliders nearing the end so they're obviously separate now.

Easy:
Removed the center point in most of the short sliders so they're just straight, and made sure they weren't overlapping anything, and made some bounce back instead of having a single note half a beat after.
Spread/Straightened out the notes at 1:10-1:14 so they're a bit more straightforward

Thanks for your mod :)
Solunatic
I Think the notes should be separated, for beginners, i noticed that it might be too hard to tell between them. and around the 2:10 point, THe beats either go too fast, or too slow. Fixing them will make it to perfect (Easy/Normal)
:D
Topic Starter
Malikil

xxYaoNinjaxx wrote:

I Think the notes should be separated, for beginners, i noticed that it might be too hard to tell between them. and around the 2:10 point, THe beats either go too fast, or too slow. Fixing them will make it to perfect (Easy/Normal)
:D
I quickly re-checked all the spacing throughout the song on normal, and nothing really struck me as out of place, while on easy I paid a bit more attention and re-spaced a few notes. At 2:10, I moved the 6 slider farther away from 5 with the last upload, as that one spot had been bugging me for a while. Are you sure you have the newest version? Other than that within a few seconds around 2:10 specifically, for both easy and normal, the distance snap is all 1.0, so I'm not sure if you're looking for them to be closer of farther apart.

Thanks for the mod and for the background.
Soo bin
No.:
01:11:800 (6,7,8) - i think this triplet should be placed closer to the slider

Maybe:

01:19:720 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - i dont think its necessary for the amount of NC here. it's already hard enough to read because of the sliders and the ones after this one

Probably:
im guessing this is a normal, which if it is, is too hard due to the amount of sliders overlapping and the amount of notes. also try to avoid using streams ( dont really know if these are streams as they are quite slow, but try to avoid put the notes together in somewhat quick succession like this
01:33:160 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) -
also cut down on the amount of triples being placed so close together. 01:12:520 (9) -

Yes!:
00:32:680 (1) - it is overlapping on no.2 and should be placed at the same distance no.3 is to no.2
03:00:520 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - overlapping sliders are too hard for easy

hope this helps.
Topic Starter
Malikil

skaiys wrote:

No.:
01:11:800 (6,7,8) - i think this triplet should be placed closer to the slider

Maybe:

01:19:720 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) - i dont think its necessary for the amount of NC here. it's already hard enough to read because of the sliders and the ones after this one

Probably:
im guessing this is a normal, which if it is, is too hard due to the amount of sliders overlapping and the amount of notes. also try to avoid using streams ( dont really know if these are streams as they are quite slow, but try to avoid put the notes together in somewhat quick succession like this
01:33:160 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) -
also cut down on the amount of triples being placed so close together. 01:12:520 (9) -

Yes!:
00:32:680 (1) - it is overlapping on no.2 and should be placed at the same distance no.3 is to no.2
03:00:520 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - overlapping sliders are too hard for easy

hope this helps.
No.:
Moved the triplet slightly closer to the slider (distance snap 0.85 from 1.04)

Maybe:
Originally, the four slider streams were supposed to be alternating between two combo colors, rather than cycling through all of them. I expect it's not doing this anymore either because I didn't select to use custom combo colors, or if it's just me then because my current skin has 5 default colors, whereas when I mapped this originally I was still using the default skin. Either way, fixed to less New Combos in all four cases.

Probably:
I made an effort to move sliders and notes that were overlapping, but I don't think it turned out as well as it could have as I was trying to stick to distance snap at the same time, and in most of the spots I fiddled with, the slider start would be partially covered by the previous slider's end. I'm not sure if this actually counts in the slider overlap department, but technically it is some manner of overlap.
Put a few sliders in streamier spots instead of only circles. Same for most triples.

Yes!:
00:32:680 (1,2) - Fixed.
03:00:520 (1,2,3,1,2,3) - Fixed (except for the aforementioned distance snap keeping circles close, but now it's two straight(er) lines, instead of a bit of switchback)
Also repositioned a few sliders throughout the rest of the song as they were also definitely overlapping.

Thanks for the mod, yes it certainly was helpful.
Your Good Self
[Yes!]
For easier difficulties you might want to try reducing the amount of 1/4 notes (those on blue ticks), to help new players build a sense of rhythm. Notes on blue ticks can be a bit awkward to play for new players. This might be a bit hard to do (since quite a bit of the music is on blue ticks), but do try your best.

Your map needs hitsounds. It is unrankable without them.

00:34:120 (4,4) - Consider adding NC here, to shorten the length of the combos
00:51:880 - Add a note, NC on it optional
01:41:800 (1,2) - Make (2) curve around the end of (1).
SPOILER
Before:

After:
01:45:400 (1) - Not really necessary for a NC here, remove it?
01:53:080 (1) - ^
02:06:760 to 02:21:160 - Combos are a bit long here, consider adding NC at 02:10:600 (6) and 02:18:280 (6)
02:23:560 (4,4,4) - Same as 00:34:120 (4,4) above
02:31:720 (4,5,6) - The overlap doesn't look particularly nice, how about this instead?
SPOILER
Before:

After:
02:55:240 (1,2,3) - Having a different rhythm from the part before might throw off an inexperienced player. You might want to change it to be consistent with the rhythm provided by the previous combos.
03:04:360 (1) - Mapping to that sound in the background doesn't make it very intuitive to play, especially for new players. You can try extending the slider to the next downbeat (long white tick).
03:10:840 (1,2) - How about simplifying the rhythm to a single repeating slider?

[Probably]
Too many unnecessary finishes close together can get quite noisy and irritating. Try to use them sparingly. Use a finish only if it really suits the music and emphasizes a really strong beat.

00:08:680 (5,6) and 00:12:520 (5,6) - Consider reducing them to a single slider in each case. Also remove the finish hitsounds, as mentioned above.
00:35:200 (5,6) - Remove (6), and add a repeating arrow on (5)
00:50:560 (5) - Extend it to the downbeat
00:56:680 (5,6) and 01:00:520 (5,6) - Same as 00:08:680 (5,6) and 00:12:520 (5,6) above
01:01:480 (1,2,6,7) - Same as 00:35:200 (5,6) above
01:09:160 (3,4) - Make (4) curve nicely around the end of (3). You will have to change some of the notes after that to fit the flow better.
SPOILER
Before:

After (AR lowered to see all the notes):
(note the repeat on (5) stays)
01:10:840 (5) - NC here
01:25:240 (4) - Not a very good slider, the borders are somewhat obstructed. You should change this.
01:41:800 to 01:57:040 - Same changes as 00:55:720 to 01:03:280
02:20:080 (5,1) - Delete (right-click) the last node to shorten it to the white tick, and move (1) down to remove the resulting jump. You can also try for some symmetry for the slider, which is easier with less nodes.
02:37:480 - Add a note, NC optional
02:56:560 (5) - Change it to a 1/4 slider like 02:56:200 (4)

[Maybe]
Is there any rationale behind the slider shapes for long sliders such as 00:25:720 (5) and 00:28:840 (12) and 00:30:640 (5) ? If not, then you can try shaping all of them into something more visually appealing.

There are way too many hitcircles compared to sliders. Aim for a balance between the two.

02:48:880 to 02:54:760 - Nice hitsounds, but a pity they aren't around for most of the rest of the map. Hitsounds should be regularly placed to give players a sense of rhythm and not just concentrated on a part of the music.

[No.]
I'm not one to comment on this map though, I don't have enough skill to play that insane :cry:
Still, I like the symmetry in the map.

[Overall]
Audio
Your audio file is at 256 kbps, higher than the maximum allowed of 192 kbps.
Try using this audio file instead, I made it from the one you uploaded so the timing shouldn't change.

Hitsounds
Your map needs more hitsounds. They add another dimension to playing and are really fun to play if you add them properly.

Kiai
While not a ranking requirement, I would encourage some kiai time. You add it the same way hitsound volumes are changed (via green inherited timing sections), under the Style tab.

[Final Words]
There's still quite a long way to go before the map is ranked, but don't give up.
All the best! :)
Topic Starter
Malikil
Gonna start putting in mod replies in green text within the quote itself. Everybody else seems to do it and it certainly takes up less space.

Your Good Self wrote:

[Yes!]
For easier difficulties you might want to try reducing the amount of 1/4 notes (those on blue ticks), to help new players build a sense of rhythm. Notes on blue ticks can be a bit awkward to play for new players. This might be a bit hard to do (since quite a bit of the music is on blue ticks), but do try your best.
Changed most standalone circles on blue ticks to the ends of sliders instead or moved them to the next white tick. Left a few where ending a slider there didn't make sense.

Your map needs hitsounds. It is unrankable without them.
I'm basically completely lost with hitsounds. I will definitely work on adding some, but for now I'm uploading with the playability changes and will let hitsounds filter through gradually with subsequent uploads.

00:34:120 (4,4) - Consider adding NC here, to shorten the length of the combos Done
00:51:880 - Add a note, NC on it optional Done
01:41:800 (1,2) - Make (2) curve around the end of (1). Done
SPOILER
Before:

After:
01:45:400 (1) - Not really necessary for a NC here, remove it?
01:53:080 (1) - ^ Done and done.
02:06:760 to 02:21:160 - Combos are a bit long here, consider adding NC at 02:10:600 (6) and 02:18:280 (6) Done
02:23:560 (4,4,4) - Same as 00:34:120 (4,4) above Done
02:31:720 (4,5,6) - The overlap doesn't look particularly nice, how about this instead?
I used that same kind of little circular-ish slider in 3(?) other places for the same kind of series of notes, though I did shuffle those notes around in the process of removing that circle on the blue tick, so it should still be more straightforward.
SPOILER
Before:

After:
02:55:240 (1,2,3) - Having a different rhythm from the part before might throw off an inexperienced player. You might want to change it to be consistent with the rhythm provided by the previous combos.
The timing there was originally supposed to be lining up with the rattle-clappy sounds, or whatever they should be called, and the low thumps pattern changes there anyways. Still, changed to be consistent with previous combos.
03:04:360 (1) - Mapping to that sound in the background doesn't make it very intuitive to play, especially for new players. You can try extending the slider to the next downbeat (long white tick).
Lengthening the slider to the long white tick felt awkward to me, so I lengthened it to the next white tick, as opposed to the long one. It still ends on a more audible note now than before.
03:10:840 (1,2) - How about simplifying the rhythm to a single repeating slider? Done

[Probably]
Too many unnecessary finishes close together can get quite noisy and irritating. Try to use them sparingly. Use a finish only if it really suits the music and emphasizes a really strong beat. Removed repeating finish sounds, I think I got them all

00:08:680 (5,6) and 00:12:520 (5,6) - Consider reducing them to a single slider in each case. Also remove the finish hitsounds, as mentioned above. Done
00:35:200 (5,6) - Remove (6), and add a repeating arrow on (5) Done
00:50:560 (5) - Extend it to the downbeat Done
00:56:680 (5,6) and 01:00:520 (5,6) - Same as 00:08:680 (5,6) and 00:12:520 (5,6) above Done
01:01:480 (1,2,6,7) - Same as 00:35:200 (5,6) above Done
01:09:160 (3,4) - Make (4) curve nicely around the end of (3). You will have to change some of the notes after that to fit the flow better. Done
SPOILER
Before:

After (AR lowered to see all the notes):
(note the repeat on (5) stays)
01:10:840 (5) - NC here Done
01:25:240 (4) - Not a very good slider, the borders are somewhat obstructed. You should change this. Changed
01:41:800 to 01:57:040 - Same changes as 00:55:720 to 01:03:280 Done
02:20:080 (5,1) - Delete (right-click) the last node to shorten it to the white tick, and move (1) down to remove the resulting jump. You can also try for some symmetry for the slider, which is easier with less nodes. Done
02:37:480 - Add a note, NC optional Done
02:56:560 (5) - Change it to a 1/4 slider like 02:56:200 (4) Done

[Maybe]
Is there any rationale behind the slider shapes for long sliders such as 00:25:720 (5) and 00:28:840 (12) and 00:30:640 (5) ? If not, then you can try shaping all of them into something more visually appealing.
The rationale for those sliders was that the note is held, so I used a slider. But then there were those low bassline type beats that I was wanting to also hit, and this was a while ago, before I even knew what I was doing, so instead of trying to figure out how to end the slider and start another to continue with the maintained note all on one beat, I just put in a red slider marker in those spots.
On several occasions, I've looked at those and figured I should probably change them to something a bit more visually appealing, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that.

There are way too many hitcircles compared to sliders. Aim for a balance between the two.
I'm not sure what the correct ration between circles and sliders would be, and I don't really know where the best places to swap out circles for sliders would be. But I did go through and replace a few double circles with a short slider, and when (if) I break up the superdy-duper angley sliders into multiple, nice looking sliders, that'll also bring the slider count up a bit.

02:48:880 to 02:54:760 - Nice hitsounds, but a pity they aren't around for most of the rest of the map. Hitsounds should be regularly placed to give players a sense of rhythm and not just concentrated on a part of the music.
These hitsounds came from the magical land of the past, where I obviously knew what the heck I was doing. But that ship has sailed, much to my misfortune.

[No.]
I'm not one to comment on this map though, I don't have enough skill to play that insane :cry:
Still, I like the symmetry in the map.
Well, at least I did something right with it :P

[Overall]
Audio
Your audio file is at 256 kbps, higher than the maximum allowed of 192 kbps.
Try using this audio file instead, I made it from the one you uploaded so the timing shouldn't change.
Thanks! AIMod had mentioned that, but I didn't have a clue what it was talking about.

Hitsounds
Your map needs more hitsounds. They add another dimension to playing and are really fun to play if you add them properly.
Yeah, I'm just procrastinator-extraordinaire with these, and keep putting them off and putting them off because I don't even know where to start. I will find ways to add them eventually though.

Kiai
While not a ranking requirement, I would encourage some kiai time. You add it the same way hitsound volumes are changed (via green inherited timing sections), under the Style tab.
I'm pretty much at a loss as to where kiai time would fit in this song. I've listened through the song several times with the specific intent of putting kiai time in, and nowhere ever really jumped out at me.

[Final Words]
There's still quite a long way to go before the map is ranked, but don't give up.
All the best! :)
Thanks! For the mod and for the audio file.
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.