forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
B1rd
Yes, I know a thing or two about the Soviet Union.

And no, I don't consider discrimination to be intrinsically bad and I don't consider so-called unfair discrimination to be anything but an subjective judgement that should not be the basis for any laws.

We weren't talking about anarchism, we were talking about natural rights. If you want to debunk the theory of voluntaryism, you'd better come up with a better argument than the tired old assertion that it would instantly devolve into a society where might makes right.

And lastly, there are a number of prerequisites you need to satisfy before you "open borders", so to speak. Getting rid of borders without changing anything else is as good an idea as getting rid of the police force without changing anything else.
Aurani
Softwarm
Just fuck already.
Ryoid
I'm still wondering why this thread have so many page
AutoMedic
thats fucking gay
Endaris
I don't have the feeling that anyone wants to discuss this matter, instead you're just all baiting B1rd and telling him, he's stupid.
Or I'm on everyone's ignore-list.
Aurani
Let's look at it this way:
If you try to discuss something with someone and you have thoughts on the matter that are seriously, SERIOUSLY far off from the other person's point of view, there is no reason to discuss it any further. Lack of proper knowledge on the matter means you will NEVER be able to bridge that big of a gap and the discussion is always going to end up with someone going ad hominem.
The only reason to ever continue a discussion is if the other person's point of view is in the same ballpark, but you can't agree on certain intricacies of the matter being discussed.

So, if someone doesn't answer your post or anyone else's for that matter, know that it is because the person simply recognised how it will ultimately end for both parties.

As for Bird - he is far, far from being stupid. I know that the lad has much in him, but sometimes he just comes off as too crude.
The first thing he said when he dropped in was "soviet union" and of course you're going to make fun of it. On top of it, he's known for his free market meme, so some free jokes at his expense must be made, regardless if he's right or wrong about something.
DaddyCoolVipper

Aurani wrote:

Let's look at it this way:
If you try to discuss something with someone and you have thoughts on the matter that are seriously, SERIOUSLY far off from the other person's point of view, there is no reason to discuss it any further. Lack of proper knowledge on the matter means you will NEVER be able to bridge that big of a gap and the discussion is always going to end up with someone going ad hominem.
The only reason to ever continue a discussion is if the other person's point of view is in the same ballpark, but you can't agree on certain intricacies of the matter being discussed.

So, if someone doesn't answer your post or anyone else's for that matter, know that it is because the person simply recognised how it will ultimately end for both parties.
Very true post, here
Endaris
So you still discuss with B1rd but not with me. This does not make much sense either when you were honest with what you wrote because I don't think I'm farther from your point of view than B1rd is.
Aurani
Are you referring to Daddy or me? If it's me, I actually believe your statement couldn't be farther from the truth. Bird's point of view is quite far away from mine in most cases, but the reason I like discussing things with him is because of our great relations. I know he will never go for a cheap shot when I'm involved and I respect him for that.
As for you.... what gave you the idea that I wouldn't discuss things with you? I just skipped your post yesterday because I didn't feel in the mood to be discussing it anymore, and then it all turned into a memefest.

If that post wasn't aimed at me, forget what I said. :p
B1rd
Problem with people who have radically different views than you is that they have fundamentally different presuppositions about the world. The other day I had a leftist tell me, honest-to-God, that hierarchies don't exist without Capitalism and CEOs aren't any more competent than your average worker.

But regarding what was said in this thread, I'm wondering if Vipper is going to just wiggle out of backing up his unprovable assertions, like how I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the Soviet Union.
Comfy Slippers
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

Problem with people who have radically different views than you is that they have fundamentally different presuppositions about the world. The other day I had a leftist tell me, honest-to-God, that hierarchies don't exist without Capitalism and CEOs aren't any more competent than your average worker.

But regarding what was said in this thread, I'm wondering if Vipper is going to just wiggle out of backing up his unprovable assertions, like how I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the Soviet Union.
Talking about unprovable assertions, do you think that a society without leadership could stabilize itself with nothing but the free market?
Aurani
Oh Railey my dear boy, do I love you so tenderly, but the free market is never gonna allow me to see you...
B1rd

Railey2 wrote:

Talking about unprovable assertions, do you think that a society without leadership could stabilize itself with nothing but the free market?
You could have a society without any centralised governing body based on the underlying principle of the NAP.
DaddyCoolVipper

B1rd wrote:

Your post suggested that people were just idly cooperating with Stalin's regime and giving his dictatorship more power, but that's completely lacking the context of his repressive government. People informing on their friends and such were only doing so because they themselves were threatened- similar to what happened in Nazi Germany where informing on Jews was highly 'encouraged'.

Besides, plenty of people would actively try and hide things from the state in the Soviet Union too, although it's hard to get any meaningful statistics- it certainly wasn't a case where everybody simply cooperated with the state, because if that were true, they wouldn't have to behave in such a violent and oppressive manner in order to get what they wanted. Forced disappearances etc due to the secret police,

Basically, you shouldn't be using the Soviet Union as an example of people refusing to do what was morally right despite threat of persecution, because the threat was significant enough to actually control people on a psychological level. Ideals of standing up to a tyrannical government are pretty, but not actually an option to the majority of people living in the USSR.
Aurani
I don't know why you had to mention Nazis there, when the Soviets did the same thing.
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

You could have a society without any centralised governing body based on the underlying principle of the NAP.
I don't think that would be stable, how would that be able to resist pressure from the inside (people will inevitably use aggressive and underhanded business strategies) and pressure from the outside (foreign invasion, foreign economic aggression)?

Not having a centralised governing body under these conditions just means that you are an easy target for everyone that doesn't play by your self-imposed, highly restrictive rules.

It's a fun thought experiment, but in the end it's also no more than a fantasy.
DaddyCoolVipper

Aurani wrote:

I don't know why you had to mention Nazis there, when the Soviets did the same thing.

...as another example of what I was talking about, which may be more widely recognised? Did you read the post? lol
Aurani
Yeah, more widely recognised by people who haven't read 2 books in their life. I won't deny that it's a valid statement, but it's a pet peeve of mine when you need to add an orange from another basket to your basket of apples, simply because you don't care. I like my things tidy, is all.
Tanzklaue
i have palyed almost an hour of osu straight for the first time in 3,5 years.

i am dying.

also i had a root canal treatment today which was delightful. 10/10 everyone should get 1 or 2.
DaddyCoolVipper

Aurani wrote:

Yeah, more widely recognised by people who haven't read 2 books in their life. I won't deny that it's a valid statement, but it's a pet peeve of mine when you need to add an orange from another basket to your basket of apples, simply because you don't care. I like my things tidy, is all.
You might be surprised at how little general knowledge there is about the USSR for the average person
B1rd

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Your post suggested that people were just idly cooperating with Stalin's regime and giving his dictatorship more power, but that's completely lacking the context of his repressive government. People informing on their friends and such were only doing so because they themselves were threatened- similar to what happened in Nazi Germany where informing on Jews was highly 'encouraged'.

Besides, plenty of people would actively try and hide things from the state in the Soviet Union too, although it's hard to get any meaningful statistics- it certainly wasn't a case where everybody simply cooperated with the state, because if that were true, they wouldn't have to behave in such a violent and oppressive manner in order to get what they wanted. Forced disappearances etc due to the secret police,

Basically, you shouldn't be using the Soviet Union as an example of people refusing to do what was morally right despite threat of persecution, because the threat was significant enough to actually control people on a psychological level. Ideals of standing up to a tyrannical government are pretty, but not actually an option to the majority of people living in the USSR.
The fact is that there was hardly any resistance to the Soviet Regime, informants and alleged criminals were extremely timid and did extremely little to resist, which is what made it so easy to the regime to make arrests on the scale they did with a disproportionately smaller secret police.
It wasn't a case of not "hiding anything", it's a mistake to assume that people were arrested because they did anything wrong, people were arrested simply because they had quotas and needed people for their work camps. That's the fault assumption most people who made, who mistakenly believed that "it wouldn't happen to them because they did nothing wrong" when all evidence pointed to the contrary. Yes, resisting is a perfectly valid opinion when you're going to get 25 years in the gulag any way, and the fact that most people when out of their way to cooperate is why the Soviet Regime were able to do the things that they did on such a large scale.
Endaris
Well, regardless how I look at it, doing the referendum was one thing. They got lots of international press and opened a good opportunity to accelerate the progress to even get serious talk on the topic going when the spanish government was literally keeping Catalonia under wraps before.
Actually trying to go with the head through the wall by announcing to declare independency...I don't know really what good is supposed to come from doing it that way.
B1rd

Railey2 wrote:

I don't think that would be stable, how would that be able to resist pressure from the inside (people will inevitably use aggressive and underhanded business strategies) and pressure from the outside (foreign invasion, foreign economic aggression)?

Not having a centralised governing body under these conditions just means that you are an easy target for everyone that doesn't play by your self-imposed, highly restrictive rules.

It's a fun thought experiment, but in the end it's also no more than a fantasy.
The only difference is that functions normally handled by the state (police, military, consumer watchdog organisations, et cetera) will be handled by private organisations rather than state-enforced monopolies. People who aggress against other people will still face consequences for their actions.

Endaris wrote:

Well, regardless how I look at it, doing the referendum was one thing. They got lots of international press and opened a good opportunity to accelerate the progress to even get serious talk on the topic going when the spanish government was literally keeping Catalonia under wraps before.
Actually trying to go with the head through the wall by announcing to declare independency...I don't know really what good is supposed to come from doing it that way.
No one ever got their own way by being passive.
Endaris
True, and as I wrote I think it was a good move to make the referendum but like...you have to find some sort of middle ground.
Fighting for independence should not make you abandon logic. As I wrote earlier, it depends heavily on the stance of the EU how this entire thing will work out. If they keep pushing like that, they won't get recognised and end up getting shot down. Which creates a very interesting situation in its own way because that would still cause a massive political destabilisation of the european framework. And the way it happens I'm not really convinced by its positive effect on society, even with my sort of anarchistic view points.
johnmedina999
Hey B1rd, the video on your userpage is broken, just saying to let you know!

(◕‿◕✿)
B1rd
It's not broken, the video got shoa'd by (((Youtube)))
B1rd
Engaging discussion in ITT as usual.
FuZ
ye
abraker
olde
Softwarm
ot
DJ Enetro
and right now we are in ye midel OT, don't you think?
abraker

DJ Enetro wrote:

*midle
ColdTooth

DJ Enetro wrote:

By the time we reach ye newe OT, we're all going to pretty much suffer
abraker

ColdTooth wrote:

DJ Enetro wrote:

By the time we reach ye newe OT, we're all going to pretty much suffer
If we needed a civil war to get to midle OT, then we would have to suffer through something like osu!Forum War I to get to newe OT
ColdTooth
Look I'm not up for a civil war. This place would just nuke itself over and over again, and that is something that I, nor anyone else in the staff, have to witness. This place just needs a bit more tidying up. Let people post for all we care, just read simple rules, actually have decent common sense and don't be stupid. Who fucking cares if old OTers are better, we're all equally shit.
Endaris
You don't have to witness it.
All you have to do is getting consumed.
ColdTooth

Endaris wrote:

You don't have to witness it.
All you have to do is getting consumed.
Haha, no, I have a special place that won't get bombarded. I already have my escape route planned. I am not going to witness blood.
Foxtrot
this place is such a joke
show more