forum

[Proposal - osu!taiko] Make the Muzukashii break guideline more flexible

posted
Total Posts
91
show more
Quorum
If it was for me I would have gone for 1/1 on light muzukashii (most 1/2 patterns) and 3/2-2/1 for high bpm or heavy 1/4 triplets based. I mean, it's not like we could do differently. 3/2 pauses are weird to use but 1/1 are the classic pauses you use most of the time in a muzukashii so it's not like you have any other choices to put a break on the map. I think even the 3x1/1 could be as weird as 3/2 since it's like having a 3/1 break with 1/1 notes in it. Plus high bpm songs can have a lot of 1/1 single notes so it doesn't make too much of a difference. A lot of times break guidelines were broken to preserve patterning and rhythmic structure of the map. A mapper would choose to go overboard surpassing the 20/1 limit and put a pause when the rhythm allows it instead of forcing a 3/2 pause in a weird place. Sometimes 3/2 breaks makes muzukashii harder because of the poor predictability of the patterns that are changed to allow the weird pause. In that case if we want to point out the difficulty of a muzukashii, it's better having an increased range of continuous mapping instead of putting 3x1/1 continuous breaks or forcing 3/2 breaks that could make the map way harder and unpredictable. Making rests more intuitive in a muzukashi could have the opposite effect of making things more difficult to players and to mappers. I repeat, for me 2x1/1 on light muzukashii and 3/2-2/1 for high bpm and heavy 1/4 triplets muzu are a good option (you can balance the low bpm or the lack of density with the continuous mapping ensured by the 1/1 in a light muzukashii and increase the number of pauses if the bpm is higher or have dense structure). however for me the main change is to be more lenient with continuous mapping limit on muzukashii by increasing it a bit (maybe 30/1 since a lot of people uses 30/1 on kiai and low density parts).
DakeDekaane
I'm going to be honest, break guidelines in Muzukashii should be more relaxed, it's in this weird spot where neither 2/1 (Futsuu) or 1/1 (Oni) would be a good number and 3/2 (current) doesn't fit for every song and I'm sure some people would prefer no break rather than a forced 3/2 break.

As for the current ideas being discussed, I think both 3/2 and 2-3 consecutive 1/1 should be equivalent. Songs are structured different so we cannot just prefer or force one over the other.

Also I agree with Nifty's point about the density, it's not a matter that "2 isn't enough time to recover", instead of just looking at the "consecutive breaks" rather look at the pattern as a whole before deciding whether it is or not enough time to recover, instead a "break" probably a "recovery section" would be something to have in Muzukashii. However, this "recovery sections" concept would be second to breaks as, from my experience, it'd happen in very few cases.

Another option would be to just change the 3/2 break every 16/1-20/1 for a 2/1 break every ~32/1 and 2 consecutive 1/1 every 16/1-20/1, I think this could be more universal. And I wouldn't worry about the "but muh muzu will become harder", it's up to nominators whether the map is above the top or not.
Lumenite-
i'm kinda confused as to why this is gaining traction again. break times were a rather stringent subject themselves during my first bn tenure and again the 2nd time as well, but the guideline's wording was changed to say "Using rest moments less frequently is acceptable if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player." this is wording that myself and Gezo came up with a long time ago, and we phrased it this way by acknowledging that break times of any kind (discluding 1/1 breaks) can be counter-intuitive/awkward for the map and that these matters should be settled by the bn's best judgement, which they should be more than capable of given that they take an exam and are proficient enough in modding to understand when a difficulty's lack of breaks is an issue.

the break guideline is exactly that, a guideline-this is not the old days when we, including myself, would file DQ requests based strictly on whether it is followed or not. 3/2 is an awkward break to have formalized, that's agreeable, however i've seen multiple cases where a BNs judgement was good enough to warrant subverting the guideline. adding specifics and all this other crap is largely unnecessary, if it is now commonly sought after to use 2 1/1 breaks as an alternative then the only people that really need to actively "push" this alternative are the bns ranking maps. there's really nothing to change here.
Boaz
i disagree
Nao Tomori
The virgin several paragraph detailed position paper post vs the chad "I disagree"
Topic Starter
Hivie
@Boaz can you elaborate
ikin5050
I dont really believe this proposal is changing anything and that the aim should be simply to change the wording and clarify that there are alternatives to 3/2 breaks to make it easier for newer mappers to make good muzukashii difficulties.

Using consecutive 1/1 breaks is already allowed because the break guideline is exactly that, a guideline. This isn't an argument about restructuring allowed breaks for muzukashii. Hivie's proposal is literally only changing the wording to be more specific. Arguing about whether high-bpm maps using 1/1 are going to break this guideline isn't an issue because it will still be up to BNs to assess the viability of that mapping choice.

Probably a good idea to focus on how to reword this proposal because the original post didn't want to completely rework.

In that vein, I'm still more in favor of my wording:

ikin5050 wrote:

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. An exception can be made if the song's structure would lead to counter intuitive 3/2 rest moments. In this case you can use 3 consecutive 1/1 length rest moments instead as a substitute.
Over Hivie's wording


Hivie wrote:

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer, or at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using rest moments less frequently is acceptable if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.
Personally the wording highlighting that it is a substitute conveys that you have a choice and should use your judgement about what is best, as well as the subjectivity of this guideline and it being open to interpretation.
Topic Starter
Hivie
@ikin refer to this as my latest wording revision


Hivie wrote:

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is acceptable if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.
also just saying, I also agree with your wording too, key difference is that mine isn't as assertive, but I'm not completely sure if that's the way forward, so opinions on this matter.
ikin5050
@hivie referred to your latest revision

suggestion

Hivie wrote:

Hivie wrote:

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is ->an acceptable substitute<- if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.
also just saying, I also agree with your wording too, key difference is that mine isn't as assertive, but I'm not completely sure if that's the way forward, so opinions on this matter.
i put little arrows around the thing i changed so u can identify it easily i don't actually want little arrows in the rc.



I don't nessacarily think being slightly assertive in the RC is bad as it is meant to literally tell people what to do, but up to interpretation at this point as both wordings convey the same idea.
Topic Starter
Hivie
ok that's perfect
ikin5050
make sure to include the double quote
igorsprite

ikin5050 wrote:

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is ->an acceptable substitute<- if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.
so 2 1/1 rests are not acceptable?
Topic Starter
Hivie
nope, they are not deemed as enough substitute by the majority as they don't lower the density much
Burak
The wording looks good to me. I wish 2 1/1 would be allowed but the majority says its not enough so I think people can still stick with it
igorsprite

Hivie wrote:

nope, they are not deemed as enough substitute by the majority as they don't lower the density much
i disagree then.

they are acceptable in the current RC if the overall is more forgiving, especially in lower bpm and i agree with that. changing to at least 3 1/1 rests just make the guideline more strict.
Ideal

igorsprite wrote:

Hivie wrote:

nope, they are not deemed as enough substitute by the majority as they don't lower the density much
i disagree then.

they are acceptable in the current RC if the overall is more forgiving, especially in lower bpm and i agree with that. changing to at least 3 1/1 rests just make the guideline more strict.
? it's not gonna replace 3/2 breaks, it's going to be an alternative and both will be acceptable. that's not making it more strict
igorsprite

Idealism wrote:

? it's not gonna replace 3/2 breaks, it's going to be an alternative and both will be acceptable. that's not making it more strict
but 3 1/1 rests and 2 1/1 rests is already a valid alternative, the proposal of "at least 3 1/1 rests..." just make the usage of 2 1/1 rests more strict.

edit: i can't post again, but just to clarify what i'm saying.


this proposal is unnecessary and misleading because the current RC already accepts these different breaks, despite recommending the usage of 3/2 breaks, and i agree with that because isn't every case that 3 1/1 breaks is valid.

what i see are people creating a problem to propose a solution. you guys are bns and can easily identify if a different break from 3/2 is acceptable for the situation. i guess, at least xd

stating that "Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is an acceptable substitute..." is misleading for mappers because this is a guideline so exceptions can be made depending of the situation and you don't need a guideline for the guideline(you create that by saying that B is a substitute for A imo).

is much better to state that A can be substituted by B, C or D(the current RC) than state that B is a substitute for A, and omit that C or D is a substitute for B(that is substitute for A).

Hivie wrote:

3/2 is often an unnatural break due to how more common songs are structured, it can easily break the map's structure and affect music representation negatively when you're basically forced to add a break because of the guideline, and sometimes it can feel like you're just poking holes in your map to satisfy the guideline.
be creative with these breaks and that will not negatively affect your map. btw, newer mappers have more important concerns to deal with than just "where do i put this 3/2 break?" and veteran mappers already know where to put it or how to find an alternative for it.
DakeDekaane
I have no troubles with current wording either but the thing is, current wording seems to make some people believe only 3/2 breaks are valid. There's been cases already that you either receive a "no 3/2 break, make this (although it will make the map awkward but it doesn't break guideline xd)" or you see an awkward 3/2 break, suggest to use something else and receive a "muh guideline break no thx" as a response.

It's either that, the definition of guideline not good enough for people to understand (I doubt it after all these years), or the guidelines have been enforced that much that people are afraid/unwilling to break them even when it's reasonable, but that's something out of this topic.

Current proposal dismisses the less frequent use of rest moments, which is a common reason to break the guideline. What about just adding an option for the consecutive 1/1 (with whatever you guys agree with the 2 or 3 thing)?

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using rest moments less frequently or the use of n consecutive 1/1 notes is acceptable if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.

Avoided the "1/1 rest moments" as I think using that term for Muzukashii is a bit weird considering is a common rhythm amongst them.
Capu
Since the general consensus seems to agree on 3 1/1 breaks to sub for 3/2, a change like the example ikin & Hivie gave in their posts, can be considered to replace the current Guideline.

"At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is ->an acceptable substitute<- if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player."

This will result in a more clear guideline for everyone to follow. Even if the only outcome is a better understanding for newer mappers, that's already something that makes it worth. Trying to get this through soon

If nothing new comes up until tomorrow, the changes mentioned above will be made
ikin5050

igorsprite wrote:

this proposal is unnecessary and misleading because the current RC already accepts these different breaks, despite recommending the usage of 3/2 breaks, and i agree with that because isn't every case that 3 1/1 breaks is valid.
Yes but the whole idea of the proposal is clarification, not changing the rules.


igorsprite wrote:

what i see are people creating a problem to propose a solution. you guys are bns and can easily identify if a different break from 3/2 is acceptable for the situation. i guess, at least xd
Yes BNs are able to identify suitable replacements, but the point of this proposal is clarification for mappers not for BNs.


igorsprite wrote:

stating that "Using at least 3 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is an acceptable substitute..." is misleading for mappers because this is a guideline so exceptions can be made depending of the situation and you don't need a guideline for the guideline(you create that by saying that B is a substitute for A imo).
Highlighting that substitutes can be made is a clarification of a commonly used alternative interpretation of the guideline.



igorsprite wrote:

be creative with these breaks and that will not negatively affect your map. btw, newer mappers have more important concerns to deal with than just "where do i put this 3/2 break?" and veteran mappers already know where to put it or how to find an alternative for it.
Sure, every problem can be fixed by saying "just map better" but that's not how this works.

The clarification of 3 consecutive 1/1 rest moments is appropriate imo seeing as the RC is for 180bpm maps, of course you can use 2x1/1 if the bpm is lower (although at that point a 1/1 break is probably near enough in length to a 180 3/2 so idk you figure it out).
Capu
Merged!
Please sign in to reply.

New reply