forum

[Proposal] Add a short grace period for disqualified maps to help avoid "Speed ranking wars"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CORROSIVE
Currently if mapper A qualifies a map for X song and it get disqualified then mapper B can qualify their map of X song within minutes or even seconds of the first maps disqualification. This is due to the rule stating that no two sets of the same song can be qualified at the same time.

This can cause some mappers to be hesitant to apply subjective or minor mods on a qualified set. It can also cause some more malicious mappers/modders to wait until a set gets qualified to point out issues in order to get their own/a friends map qualified in its place.

What I am proposing is that a grace period of 24 hours is added to a newly disqualified map to help alleviate some of these issues listed above.

edit: to clarify i am saying that during the grace period the original mapset would get to requalify whenever they want, just others cant during that time.
Smoke
+rep
OneShotFox
+1
realy0_
yes cuz rn this is getting ridiculous
Dignan
Completely agree, speedrank wars are a detriment to the ranked section and should be avoided.
rosario wknd
100% agree
Morrighan
speedrank wars are one of the most childish things i've seen in this game, implementing this would be a huge W
Mordred
Disagree, the set that gets ranked first will be the more popular one 90% of the time and implementing a rule like that would make it nearly impossible to compete after the first qualification. Besides, if the mapper (or the bn) cares about their set they will have checked it properly to avoid any "objective" mistakes such as missing hitsounds or bad timing.

WashedUp Player wrote:

This can cause some mappers to be hesitant to apply subjective or minor mods on a qualified set.
this also happens regardless of speedrank wars, lots of people think qualified = ranked and will refuse to apply mods no matter the circumstances

WashedUp Player wrote:

It can also cause some more malicious mappers/modders to wait until a set gets qualified to point out issues in order to get their own/a friends map qualified in its place.
also happens outside of speedrank wars
Crissa
or hey why dont just remove the limitation and everyones happy
also the 24hrs grace period sounds quite bleh considering many many maps get dqd for ultra minor stuff and then get reqfd instantly which is completely fine imo
Nao Tomori
anime wars are hilarious i oppose the proposal
Kudosu
basically what mordred said
Zelq

Crissa wrote:

pretty much if any action has to be taken then I'd consider making no limitations of only one mapset of a song (the same version) since having multiple sets is not breaking anything, variety of issues needs different time to apply the mods properly and I never highly understood why such rule had to be used at first glance
Mir

Kudosu wrote:

basically what mordred said
yea
Sampo

Zelq wrote:

Crissa wrote:

pretty much if any action has to be taken then I'd consider making no limitations of only one mapset of a song (the same version) since having multiple sets is not breaking anything and never highly understood why such rule had to be used at all
Rule is probably there so some group of mappers and BNs can't do The Funny and rank like 5 mapsets of the same song in a row
momoyo
disagree, id rather not wait 24h to qual again for really minor issues/subjective things. basically agree with mordred tbh

+ speedrank wars are retarded i like them

altho yea the rule if not having 2 songs in qual at the same time seems stupid to me
pkhg

Crissa wrote:

also the 24hrs grace period sounds quite bleh considering many many maps get dqd for ultra minor stuff and then get reqfd instantly which is completely fine imo
yes pls
momoyo

Ataraksia wrote:

Zelq wrote:

Crissa wrote:

pretty much if any action has to be taken then I'd consider making no limitations of only one mapset of a song (the same version) since having multiple sets is not breaking anything and never highly understood why such rule had to be used at all
Rule is probably there so some group of mappers and BNs can't do The Funny and rank like 5 mapsets of the same song in a row
I see your point but I do think it should still change imo, I don’t think 2 sets at the same time changes anything, maybe limit it so no more than 2 sets gets qual, i believe it would limit speedranks more if anything. Waiting 24 hours to requal isn’t the solution
Zelq

Ataraksia wrote:

Zelq wrote:

Crissa wrote:

Pretty sure such event wouldn't take place but even if then I don't see any issue as long as each of the mapsets provides something from its own
Crissa

Ataraksia wrote:

Zelq wrote:

Crissa wrote:

i don't see absolutely anything wrong with that if all mapsets have different things to offer, if anything the same amount of sets would get ranked anyways, just in a longer amount of time. you could add something to counter a case in wich this is the opposite, when 2 or more sets of a song in qualified don't add anything different from each other to the ranked section
Deca
I already made this proposal 2 years ago and people didn't seem to like it.

FWIW I still think the multiple qualified set rule should have been removed a long time ago and the ranking queue needs to be expanded (or removed altogether) because it's exceedingly apparent that this game isn't the same as it was back in the days when this rule was created.
show more