forum

[Proposal] Add a short grace period for disqualified maps to help avoid "Speed ranking wars"

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
CORROSIVE

Mordred wrote:

implementing a rule like that would make it nearly impossible to compete after the first qualification.
This is kind of the point. maps that have already been qualified shouldn't need to worry about their slot in the ranking getting snipped when dqing for minor issues.

Mordred wrote:

if the mapper (or the bn) cares about their set they will have checked it properly to avoid any "objective" mistakes such as missing hitsounds or bad timing.
It is true that mappers and modders should check their maps thoroughly, but the issue comes when an issue appears that is subjective or something that is really hard to notice.

Say a mapper has their map qualified and there is another map that is wanting to take its place. if the map in question was modded and had some changes that would be a nice addition but otherwise are totally optional, the mapper would be more inclined to just leave it in fear of their map not getting rebubbled in time.

Mordred wrote:

lots of people think qualified = ranked and will refuse to apply mods no matter the circumstances
you are correct that this occurs but this change would be benefiting people who just want to make their map the best it could be. The people who think like this cant be helped.

Mordred wrote:

also happens outside of speedrank wars
its kind of irrelevant that this occurs outside of speedrank wars. my point was more based around people will mod/wait to mod maliciously so that they can get another map qualified in its place.

Crissa wrote:

the 24hrs grace period sounds quite bleh
the 24 hour number is just a rough draft of what the length should be. Ideally it should be long enough to where if the mapper (or modders) is sleeping or at work they still have enough time whenever they are done to get all the mods applied and re nomed

Crissa wrote:

or hey why dont just remove the limitation and everyones happy
while i do agree with this, that is a seperate matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nao Tomori wrote:

anime wars are hilarious i oppose the proposal
based

Erisu wrote:

id rather not wait 24h to qual again for really minor issues/subjective things.
the point is so other mapps maps cant qualify during this time, the original mapset would be exempt from this
Hivie

radar wrote:

my opinion would be to rather just remove the multiple qualified set rule/increase the limit to like 2-3 so that speedrank wars arent as cutthroat and people can just enjoy game
would be a much better alternative imo
Crissa

Erisu wrote:

id rather not wait 24h to qual again for really minor issues/subjective things.
the point is so other mapps maps cant qualify during this time, the original mapset would be exempt from this
i was kinda missing this point which is very important huh

removing the rule entirely is much more simple and basically keeps everyone happy since it disables conflict, while your proposal could feel very unfair to the upcoming sets waiting to get qualified, which is why i can't completely agree with it
Topic Starter
CORROSIVE
i agree that removing the rule would be a good thing overall, or maybe extending it to 2 maps. This proposal was more made around making the current situation more stable and working around the current rules.
Bibbity Bill
I agree with radar on this, I think limiting to 2-3 would be a much better idea and since there's already a rule allowing 3 remixes in qualify just remove the first rule and reword the second.

• Different beatmaps of similar versions of a song cannot be qualified in the same mode at the same time. Similar versions of a song include cuts, extensions, and simple covers.
• Only 3 significantly different versions of a song may be qualified in the same mode at the same time. Significantly different versions include remixes, compilations, and mashups.
into

• Only 3 different versions of a song may be qualified in the same mode at the same time.
honestly would be the simplest way but still not make it so mappers can qualify a ton of cuts and remixes. this change would also allow the full ver and cut ver (2 entirely different maps due to the massive changes) at the same time which i think most people can agree on wouldn't be a bad change.
Nao Tomori
allowing full and tv size at same time doesnt do anything about 2 tv size sets trying to get ranked first

the point of the one song rule was explained to me like this once:
ranked is a content stream (like a daily unique event in an rpg) - having the exact same or extremely similar content released over and over lowers the satisfaction to the user. therefore limiting to one of a song per week (more like 2 weeks rn but thats a different issue and realistically temporary for a few more months) prevents having a week where like 5 sets of seasonal anime op #21452 get ranked and take out space from more varied content which would better engage players.

i happen to agree with the reasoning above. that said, the best solution if people really dont like speedrank wars for some reason (i really do find them hilarious) is to expand the limit to 2 or 3 of the same version of the same song being allowed, and also expand the number of maps getting ranked every day so that even if the actual number of the same song getting ranked goes up, the percent of new content being occupied by that same song stays low.

plus expanding the number of ranked maps per day would make it so it doesnt take 2 weeks for a map to get ranked which is annoying as hell
lugu
+1
MaridiuS
I disagree with the OP because the meta on speedrank will be to try to qualify maps as soon as possible without doing a full check. BNs/mappers will then recheck if it ever gets disqualified to something that might have easily been found with a proper look. This will easily cause more unnecessary dqs and BNs acting dumb like they did a proper check and get like a 1/1 which most BNs can likely tank for their activity.
melwoine
I sort of agree with the idea that speedranking is just a dumb process overall and is pretty petty. Though I would say that this is what you sign up for when you decide to speedrank a set/song. The whole "not wanting to change subjective stuff" is sort of irrelevant in my eyes since no matter what qualified map you go to there's a 90% chance that many don't want to change subjective stuff if it's not a major problem (that usually just goes to instant veto though).

My suggestions would be to just look at the dqs if they're valid or not. For example when the sotarks set got nuked and Rolni / rolniczy ranked his tv size set to just have fieryrage dq it for a non problem. Iirc he got punished for it but w/e.
Moecho
"no two sets of the same song can be qualified at the same time"
feels like this rule should be removed, we already have plenty of reasons like "content bloat" that are set in place for vetos in cases of clear abuse of meme / near copy paste maps

there's not really necessary to have this rule at all, while speed ranking could be fun, it could also be quite frustrating due to this rule, which op stated with some examples of malicious intent
realy0_

MaridiuS wrote:

I disagree with the OP because the meta on speedrank will be to try to qualify maps as soon as possible without doing a full check. BNs/mappers will then recheck if it ever gets disqualified to something that might have easily been found with a proper look. This will easily cause more unnecessary dqs and BNs acting dumb like they did a proper check and get like a 1/1 which most BNs can likely tank for their activity.
then it would be bn's fault, not the mapper's one to qualify it in the first place
Crissa

realy0_ wrote:

MaridiuS wrote:

then it would be bn's fault, not the mapper's one to qualify it in the first place
Ya also i can see this being easily punishable considering how bad the state of the set was when it first got qualified by just not checking the map properly or not doing so at all
Kyuunex
that rule about no same songs being qualified at the same time should not exist in my opinion
jschlatt stan
very cool
LimeTwist
agreed
Vulkin

Kyuunex wrote:

that rule about no same songs being qualified at the same time should not exist in my opinion
I agree, it just adds a delay to the inevitable, since mappers will still want their sets to be pushed towards the ranked section.
McEndu
When multiple modes are taken into concern, the no two set rule looks even worse an idea.

Say mapper A qualifies a "#NULL!*Peta" which is a std set, and B who maps the same song in catch cannot rank it when A's set is still there...

PS. Where is the rule as written
realy0_

McEndu wrote:

When multiple modes are taken into concern, the no two set rule looks even worse an idea.

Say mapper A qualifies a "#NULL!*Peta" which is a std set, and B who maps the same song in catch cannot rank it when A's set is still there...

you can
Elinor
McEndu

realy0_ wrote:

McEndu wrote:

you can
Well yep misinterpretation
but where it the rule
Noffy
The issue brought up here is no longer relevant with the same songs in qualified rules being removed, so I am archiving this thread. If there's some reason it should continue in a new form, I recommend making a new thread addressing the new current issues it'd be designed for.