forum

Post the Linux distro that you use

posted
Total Posts
show more
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

Any upgrades I should do before I jump ship to XFCE Mint? Probably thinking about maxing out my ram to 8gb which is the most my laptop supports.
Getting it to 8GBs will be a decent upgrade overall and will benefit you a lot.
Neigdoig

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Messing around with i3wm
I'm not alone in using a WM for Mint. Toots sweet!
great_elmo
Now I'm unironically looking for a distro for this thing. 32 bit Celeron M, not even a full gig of RAM (currently at 512MB and maxes out at 2GB), non functional wifi AND a broken screen.

Currently on XP home SP3 and DOES NOT support booting from USB. Of course even XFCE which I have decided on for my main laptop that still sucks would be even heavier than XP and there's likely no 32 bit version.
Jangsoodlor

great_elmo wrote:

Now I'm unironically looking for a distro for this thing. 32 bit Celeron M, not even a full gig of RAM (currently at 512MB and maxes out at 2GB), non functional wifi AND a broken screen.

Currently on XP home SP3 and DOES NOT support booting from USB. Of course even XFCE which I have decided on for my main laptop that still sucks would be even heavier than XP and there's likely no 32 bit version.

Debian may be the only distro left at this point that still supports 32-bit processors. But I think you'd be stuck using windows manager tho because of ram limitations.

edit: Alpine Linux, Gentoo and Void also supports 32-bit
great_elmo
I need help ASAP. After Mint's installation was looping on "detecting file systems" Windows BRICKED ITSELT and that was the only os I had on there! My data isn't lost (thankfully) but I can no longer boot without the USB nor can I make an emergency bootable USB so I can figure out what the FUCK went wrong.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

I need help ASAP. After Mint's installation was looping on "detecting file systems" Windows BRICKED ITSELT and that was the only os I had on there! My data isn't lost (thankfully) but I can no longer boot without the USB nor can I make an emergency bootable USB so I can figure out what the FUCK went wrong.
So Mint's installer was trying to detect other file systems on your system and that made Windows brick itself? Is that what I'm getting?
Jangsoodlor

great_elmo wrote:

Go to your bios settings, and make sure that windows comes first.
great_elmo
The HDD is my 1st priority but I get "An operating system wasn't found" on boot. Which is odd because I had Windows installed but LM wasn't detecting it
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

The HDD is my 1st priority but I get "An operating system wasn't found" on boot. Which is odd because I had Windows installed but LM wasn't detecting it
In the boot menu, you would see a boot option named "Windows Boot Manager". Is it there or not?
great_elmo
Nope! It's labeled as my HDD's model (wdc wd7500bpvt-00a1). This time I've added a / partition, a /home partition and a swap partition but same thing. Is my legacy bios causing this? I used unetbootin btw. Formatting isn't an option because my mom has TONS of old photos of when me and my sister were kids and I wanna get them backed up to her iCloud (some of them are already backed up)

THIS is all the installer is doing but it does do something else eventually. The ISO is from the official website.

I'm definitely doing something wrong.
Jangsoodlor
did you somehow accidentally delete the "Microsoft" or "boot" folder in the efi partition?

edit: I just saw that you said you use legacy bios so this might not help sorry
Winnyace
I have a fear that sadly that he already changed his disk, so he has nothing on it at the moment. There's a program on Linux Mint called GParted. Please open it up from the Start menu and show us what it gives you. If it asks for a password, the password should be mint
great_elmo
Would 100% do again.

But even within the live environment I am MIND-BLOWN by how fast and light it is. Only 1GB ram usage on idle compared to Windows 11's 2-3GB. YouTube is watchable on my external monitor, but for some reason it only goes to 60hz despite the fact that I have a 75hz monitor.

Just need to get an SSD to fully install it.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

YouTube is watchable on my external monitor, but for some reason it only goes to 60hz despite the fact that I have a 75hz monitor.
This is due, most likely, to the display server used by Cinnamon. Cinnamon, by default, uses an older display server (its name is X11) where variable refresh rate didn't really exist. There's an experimental session for Cinnamon that uses a newer display server (its name is Wayland). If you log out, you should see an icon somewhere around the username and password prompt. Check if that works for you.

You should also check if the monitor is at 75hz after you plugged it in.
great_elmo
I'm using XFCE.

75HZ was fine on Windows. Might have something to do with my laptop screen being 60hz and a 768p pile of shit (even when it's disabled with win+pp)

And after some tinkering in gparted I'm able to boot BACK into Windows. (Albietly with a start up error asking for an unreachable recovery device but I can just bypass that)
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

I'm using XFCE.

75HZ was fine on Windows. Might have something to do with my laptop screen being 60hz and a 768p pile of shit (even when it's disabled with win+pp)

And after some tinkering in gparted I'm able to boot BACK into Windows. (Albietly with a start up error asking for an unreachable recovery device but I can just bypass that)
XFCE by default also uses X11, not Wayland.
Neigdoig
What were you looking to set up Mint for, Elmo?
great_elmo
Well, I GOT LINUX MINT RUNNING ON MY NEW SSD!

BUT osu-winello runs and sounds like absolute UNPLAYABLE SHIT.

THIS is STILL impressive though and I've seen it at 700 MEGABYTES on idle.

I really like Linux Mint but because of the ancient AMD E series CPU that takes a long time to open some (but not all) software and osu running like dogshit it looks like until I get a new PC I'm going back to Windows 7 (which was the fastest OS for my PC, IDGAF that it's not supported anymore)

I will dual boot Windows and Linux Mint on my new PC when I do get one.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

Well, I GOT LINUX MINT RUNNING ON MY NEW SSD!

BUT osu-winello runs and sounds like absolute UNPLAYABLE SHIT.

THIS is STILL impressive though and I've seen it at 700 MEGABYTES on idle.

I really like Linux Mint but because of the ancient AMD E series CPU that takes a long time to open some (but not all) software and osu running like dogshit it looks like until I get a new PC I'm going back to Windows 7 (which was the fastest OS for my PC, IDGAF that it's not supported anymore)

I will dual boot Windows and Linux Mint on my new PC when I do get one.
If you have issues with osu-winello, join ThePoon's Discord server. They have a channel dedicated to helping people out running osu stable on Linux
BlueChinchompa
On my gaming laptop (Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3) I use PopOS and its been pretty good

on my Thinkpad T480S I use Arch Linux (Used Arch install I was too lazy and I wanted an excuse to also try KDE instead of Gnome)

I AM VERY SMART

BlueChinchompa wrote:

I looks like Celeste, I don't know why
BlueChinchompa

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

idk this is one of the default backgrounds arch has but you are right it does kinda remind me of that.
Winnyace

BlueChinchompa wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

idk this is one of the default backgrounds arch has but you are right it does kinda remind me of that.
That's the default background of Plasma 6, not of Arch. Arch doesn't have any defaults besides what the packages themselves come with by default from the source.
BlueChinchompa

Winnyace wrote:

BlueChinchompa wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

That's the default background of Plasma 6, not of Arch. Arch doesn't have any defaults besides what the packages themselves come with by default from the source.
Thanks for the correction thats what I meant to have said.
Neigdoig

great_elmo wrote:

That's an interesting pic of Rias, there. Quite cultured, if I do say so myself.
WitherMite
dual boot ubuntu with windows 10 - the web development course im following only supports mac or the official ubuntu flavors if people have OS issues (though im at a point in the course now where Im confident I could just use any simple linux distro for it instead, if I got a new pc id probably use mint - or debian if I want to try something different)
the course: https://www.theodinproject.com

was a bitch trying to get windows to let go of part of my SSD though, ended up having to backup everything, format the whole drive, give a partition to ubuntu, then restore everything I had on it in windows.
granoladotwad

BluePyTheWDeer_ wrote:

I know I have done many Linux related things, but I want more.

Distros I use
Arch Linux (Main)
Fedora Rawhide (I wanna test)
Kubuntu (left)
Kali Linux (left due to installing Arch because my partitions were a mess)
Zorin (left)
Mostly use Arch. Used Mint as my starter.
great_elmo
Back on Mint

CANNOT sign in on desktop because cloudflare verification keeps failing. Never did this on Windows.
Winnyace

great_elmo wrote:

CANNOT sign in on desktop because cloudflare verification keeps failing. Never did this on Windows.
Can't sign in on what, exactly?
ZnCookie
EndeavourOS, but added the software sources from CachyOS.

I frequently switch between different desktop environments/window managers, and I'm currently using Cinnamon.
EnigmaticG
Gentoo since the package manager likes me, and won't start a war every time I want to compile custom software/have multiple versions of dependencies coexist/use a cross compiler and ask for weird things. Since it's source based, I can install it on all sorts of stupid things for laughs, and don't need to learn the quirks of any other distro if I don't want to.

Winnyace
I have switched over to openSUSE Tumbleweed, because I don't want the DIY nature of Arch and Arch based distros anymore. Because of a freeze during an update and me not being able to set up btrfs snapshots correctly, I've have messed up my entire system. At least openSUSE Tumbleweed has them set up by default, which did come in handy already.
great_elmo
-got a pc from grandparents
-Microsoft account makes it impossible to login (pc does not have wifi, but she did tell me the password)
-slow hdd and windows 10 (not a bad os) but it was running on 4GB RAM alongside a bunch of shitware (norton for example)
-Why not install Linux?

Just waiting for a router so I can use ethernet. 1st thing I'll do to it is upgrade the ram.

Everything worked right out the box, except front audio for some reason.

hehemanhon
ubuntu is fine

YEAH I HAVE ROBLOX ON LINUX
niat0004
I dual boot Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21.3 22; this thread made me update it, since Update Manager said nothing about Linux Mint 22 existing.
Winnyace

niat0004 wrote:

I dual boot Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21.3; this thread made me realize it's out of date, since Update Manager said nothing about Linux Mint 22 existing.
You need to install their Upgrade utility. Here's a guide from them.
niat0004

Winnyace wrote:

niat0004 wrote:

I dual boot Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21.3; this thread made me realize it's out of date, since Update Manager said nothing about Linux Mint 22 existing.
You need to install their Upgrade utility. Here's a guide from them.
Don't worry, I found that and did it the same day I posted that. I now have Linux Mint 22 running.
MangaGrumpy
I use windows 11 (wah), but I plan on trying out arch Linux sometime
Patatitta

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

but I plan on trying out arch Linux sometime
don't
great_elmo

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

If you're a complete n00b, my advice from an on and off Mint user is don't.

But if you like typing away waiting for something to happen, go right ahead!
EnigmaticG

great_elmo wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

If you're a complete n00b, my advice from an on and off Mint user is don't.
Actually, it's fine if you are a complete noob, provided that you are willing to read the documentation that is available and take the time to understand each part of the installation process, and basic usage of the system. If this is not the case, then using a different distribution is advised.
Winnyace

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

If you're ready to setup things yourself and learn, go ahead. Otherwise, its benefits are far outweigh by its downsides.
hehemanhon

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

arch linux ain't user friendly go with ubuntu or mint
ZnCookie

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

I would recommend that you try EndeavourOS or CachyOS first. They are based on Arch Linux but come with some enhancements and are more user-friendly.

For me, the main reason I chose Arch is because of the AUR(Arch User Repository).
Doom Mood

BluePyTheWDeer_ wrote:

If you switch to Linux, you will sacrifice Roblox, if you EVEN use it.
Great News! Roblox is now playable with Sober. It's way faster than on Windows.

hehemanhon wrote:

MaxIsABigKaiju wrote:

arch linux ain't user friendly go with ubuntu or mint
It's kinda funny that I tried installing Fedora as my first distro and only used it for just a few days, and then immediately went ahead to install Arch because of the memes and y'know being perceived as the "cool, hip and trendy" distro. Installing it wasn't that hard if you can follow the guide and a tutorial, it's just nerve-wracking because you get worried that you will mess up, but the more you learn and experience, the more confident you are.
z0z

Doom Mood wrote:

BluePyTheWDeer_ wrote:

risk is roblox may block sober at anytime

sober runs with the android client i think
Doom Mood

z0z wrote:

Doom Mood wrote:

BluePyTheWDeer_ wrote:

risk is roblox may block sober at anytime

sober runs with the android client i think
yeah true, i hope they wont
dvntsemicolon
NixOS
Winnyace

Doom Mood wrote:

It's kinda funny that I tried installing Fedora as my first distro and only used it for just a few days, and then immediately went ahead to install Arch because of the memes and y'know being perceived as the "cool, hip and trendy" distro.
Please, don't use a distro just because it is viewed as cool. It frankly isn't and there are people who view Arch as needlessly complicated.
MistressRemilia

Winnyace wrote:

Doom Mood wrote:

It's kinda funny that I tried installing Fedora as my first distro and only used it for just a few days, and then immediately went ahead to install Arch because of the memes and y'know being perceived as the "cool, hip and trendy" distro.
Please, don't use a distro just because it is viewed as cool. It frankly isn't and there are people who view Arch as needlessly complicated.
Mirroring this, use what works best for you. That's true for any OS, but especially true for a Linux distro. There's so many to choose from, and that's a good thing, so you might as well take advantage of it.
Ravener
Debian is life